Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Gillispie isn't talking about future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Former Kentucky basketball coach Billy
Gillispie isn't talking about his name being linked to the job at
Texas Tech.

Gillispie was at the Texas boys state tournament on Friday, but
declined to answer questions from The Associated Press whether he
was interested in the Texas Tech job or had interviewed with school
officials.

"I'm just here to watch some games," Gillispie said about five
times.

Texas Tech announced before the Big 12 tournament that coach Pat
Knight would not return next season and Knight publicly endorsed
Gillispie for the job.

Gillispie, who also coached at Texas El-Paso and Texas A&M, was
fired at Kentucky in 2009 after two tumultuous seasons.
Texas Tech University System Chancellor Kent Hance also was at
the high school tournament Friday, but said he did not know
Gillispie was there and did not talk to him.

Hance said new athletic director Kirby Hocutt would be
responsible for finding a candidate and presenting them first to
school President Guy Bailey and then to Hance.

"He's going to give us somebody that's great," Hance said.
"He wants to take the time that it takes to find the right person,
the right fit."

Hance said he's never met Gillispie.

"I look forward to meeting anybody that comes along who has
built their career in basketball because I love basketball," Hance
said.
I hope to see Gillispie back on the sidelines somewhere next season.
It would be great to see Gillispie coaching Duke, North Carlolina, or Tennessee - but I have nothing against Texas Tech, so hopefully the folks in Lubbock will exercise better judgment than the idiots who hired him to coach UK did.
I'm not sure why anyone would want to hire him.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It would be great to see Gillispie coaching Duke, North Carlolina, or Tennessee - but I have nothing against Texas Tech, so hopefully the folks in Lubbock will exercise better judgment than the idiots who hired him to coach UK did.

:lmao: I agree with you 100%!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It would be great to see Gillispie coaching Duke, North Carlolina, or Tennessee - but I have nothing against Texas Tech, so hopefully the folks in Lubbock will exercise better judgment than the idiots who hired him to coach UK did.
Can you blame Kentucky for hiring him? A man that was known to resurrect dead programs. It was pretty smart at the time to get him. Looking back now it's easy to hate on it and call it stupid, but to act like he isn't a good coach is simply ignorant.

HawksRule Wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would want to hire him.
Really? How about a 20 turnaround in one year at UTEP? What about getting Texas A&M to Sweet Sixteen. He also got Acie Law drafted, and Acie Law had no business being anywhere near the NBA without Gillispie. Read what some of his players say about him. They'd literally do anything for him.
Scott Hall Wrote:Can you blame Kentucky for hiring him? A man that was known to resurrect dead programs. It was pretty smart at the time to get him. Looking back now it's easy to hate on it and call it stupid, but to act like he isn't a good coach is simply ignorant.

Really? How about a 20 turnaround in one year at UTEP? What about getting Texas A&M to Sweet Sixteen. He also got Acie Law drafted, and Acie Law had no business being anywhere near the NBA without Gillispie. Read what some of his players say about him. They'd literally do anything for him.
Harrellson sat in bathroom stall for him.
Oh the team including Harrellson would also do full practices before their games.

I am sorry but what kind of coach do this crap? There is a reason he is gone. Wish him the best of luck but glad he is gone.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Harrellson sat in bathroom stall for him.
Oh the team including Harrellson would also do full practices before their games.

I am sorry but what kind of coach do this crap? There is a reason he is gone. Wish him the best of luck but glad he is gone.

Great coach isn't he. :Thumbs:
Scott Hall Wrote:Can you blame Kentucky for hiring him? A man that was known to resurrect dead programs. It was pretty smart at the time to get him. Looking back now it's easy to hate on it and call it stupid, but to act like he isn't a good coach is simply ignorant.
The guy was an abusive drunk with a history of DUI when Kentucky hired him - so yes, I can blame the morons who hired him. UK administrators should have learned their lesson from the Eddie Sutton debacle. Even worse, UK failed to act promptly to correct the mistake even after Gillispie refused to sign his contract. Red flag? What red flag?

Gillispie was a drunk with only five years of head coaching experience and the geniuses at UK decided that he could handle coaching in one of the biggest pressure cookers in college sports. Obviously, they were mistaken.

Many UK fans and alumni recognized the stupidity of the hire at the time it was made. Some still cannot handle the truth. :eyeroll:
Amun-Ra Wrote:Harrellson sat in bathroom stall for him.

Don't forget the poor walk-on who introduced himself to God's gift to coaching after practice one day and was promptly sent packing for wasting Gillispie's precious time. Class act.
He also started Mark Coury because Coury practiced hard. Coury was an embarrassment to have on the court in a UK jersey.
HawksRule Wrote:He also started Mark Coury because Coury practiced hard. Coury was an embarrassment to have on the court in a UK jersey.

You mean like Vargas:popcorn:

I agree 100%. :Thumbs: BUT, he can't coach a school like Kentucky. He'd do good at TTU.
Stardust Wrote:You mean like Vargas:popcorn:

Vargas is playing pretty good today, but I'd take Vargas over Coury any day.