Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Oldham County 70 - Spencer County 50 (8th Region Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Oldham County will play George Rogers Clark at 12:00 PM on March 16th at Rupp Arena.
I was very suprised by the final score.
Oldham's #11 put on a show from the 3 point line.
Old Henry Man Wrote:I was very suprised by the final score.
Oldham's #11 put on a show from the 3 point line.

I was too. I thought it would be a close, low scoring game, but Spencer County couldn't stop Henderson and Oldham County hit about everything they shot.
NEW CASTLE, Ky. -- Oldham County shot down Spencer County's dream of playing in its first basketball state tournament by romping 70-50 in the boys' Eighth Region final Tuesday night before more than 4,200 fans in Henry County High School's gym.

Instead, the Colonels (25-7) will make their 14th Sweet 16 trip next week after Dylan Henderson hit six three-point shots and scored 22 points in their eighth straight victory.

"In our first two games here Dylan didn't want to shoot because he thought if he missed he would hurt the team," coach Jason ' Holland said after Oldham County won its first regional title since 2007. ' "He came to school early this morning and shot around. I told him last night that we were going to need him if we were going to win this game."

Henderson hit his first three-point attempt and never cooled off as Oldham County qualified to play 10th Region winner Clark County at noon next Wednesday in the opening game of the state tournament in Rupp Arena.

"This is really special," the 6-foot-2 senior said. "We haven't been there for a while. ... When I hit my first shot it seems I always go off."'

Oldham County jumped to leads of 8-2 and 15-4 as Henderson hit two threes and Alante Flores also connected.

"The first two games in the region we'd pass the ball around and I'd think about shooting," Henderson said. "Tonight I would just catch it and shoot it without thinking."

Spencer County, a school that opened in 1980 but had never made it to the state tournament even when it was known as Taylorsville High, trailed 30-17 at halftime as Oldham County's 6-6 Tyler Wesley and 6-5 Nolan Denise dominated inside.

Wesley scored 11 points and Denise had 15, including two of his team's nine threes. Blake Payne got off to a slow start but scored eight points, including three goals early in the third quarter.

Henderson hit back-to-back threes for a 44-28 bulge. Early in the fourth period he swished two more threes and Denise made one for a 55-35 margin.

After Denise hit a free throw, the Colonels went on an 11-0 spurt to lead 67-44 with 1:34 remaining. That's when Holland emptied his bench.

"We had 12 rebounds the first half," Holland said. "That's one thing we wanted to take away from them. I think they were emotionally drained from the tough game they had Monday night (against North Oldham)."

Logan Dunbar, a 6-3 senior, led Spencer County with 15 points, and Trey Wyatt added 11. Brandon Miller, who had 28 points against North Oldham, was held to three.

"We used a matchup zone to stop Miller," Holland said.

Spencer County (25-7) was the winningest team in school history.

"Give Oldham County a lot of credit," Spencer County coach Jacob Barmore said. "They got the early lead and hit the boards well. My hat is off to them. They have a lot of weapons. It's not trying to stop one or two guys. They have other guys who can hurt you."

http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/lo...ion-title/
A wonderful season came to a disappointing end Tuesday night for the Spencer County Bears as they fell to Oldham County 70-50 in the finals of the Eighth Region Tournament in New Castle.

Nearly 2,000 blue-clad fans filled up an entire side of Henry County’s Roy Winchester Gymnasium to root on their team, but the Bears fell behind early and were unable to mount another magical rally like they did the previous night in the semi-finals against North Oldham.
Oldham County raced out to an early 8-2 lead and led 17-8 after one quarter. The Colonels, who seemingly couldn’t hit the basket in Monday’s narrow win over Henry County, couldn’t miss on this night and led by double figures almost the entire night.
After falling behind 30-17 at the half, the Bears looked like they might be able to mount a rally, pulling to within 10 at 32-22 on a Brandon Miller three-pointer, but Oldham County answered each time downcourt.
Oldham hit a number of three-pointers in the second half and never relinquished the lead, actually growing its advantage to 46-32 heading into the final quarter.
Spencer County continued to fight in the fourth quarter, but Oldham County was able to score almost at will and staved off any chance of a late rally.
With just two minutes remaining, Spencer County Coach Jacob Barmore pulled his starters, including seniors Trey Wyatt and Logan Dunbar, who finished their career by leading the Bears to a 26-7 record and advancing the Bears to within just one game of the state tournament, the best finish ever for a Spencer County team.
The success of the basketball team was felt beyond the court, as the community rallied together over the final few weeks of the season and celebrated the Bear’s first District Championship in 27 years and their first Regional Tournament appearance in 13 years.

http://www.spencermagnet.com/content/dream-season-ends
I'm disapointed. Not that Oldham won but that spencer didnt have a good outing. It would have been great if the cinderella team could have pulled it off.