Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Southwestern 49 Mercer Co. 45 (12th Region Semi-Final)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Southwestern is making up for their regular season woes by going on a streak that now has them into the 12th Region Championship game and could very well get them a trip to Rupp!!

Congrats Warriors!!
I called this game right on the dot!

Mercer Co.. 15 5 14 11 45

Southwestern 10 7 20 12 49

12th Region Semifinals at Lincoln Co.

Mercer Co. (22-9) -- Sagraves 5, Lee 12, Cinnamon 3, Taylor 1, Honchel 12, Compton 3, Buckner 2, Banks 7.

Southwestern (16-16) -- Lewis 16, Bellar 2, Edwards 6, Marlow 1, C. Epperson 8, J. Epperson 16.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...z1FyJccXBb
I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on this prediction. Mercer had the better talent, but Southwestern had the better coaching.

Coaching won tonight.
HoopsGuru Wrote:I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on this prediction. Mercer had the better talent, but Southwestern had the better coaching.

Coaching won tonight.

:Thumbs:
HoopsGuru Wrote:I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on this prediction. Mercer had the better talent, but Southwestern had the better coaching.

Coaching won tonight.

I disagree big time. Missed free throws down the stretch and throughout the game cost Mercer. Not Britt. Clay Cinnamon's reluctance to shoot(3 points from a kid averaging 21 points) and costly mistakes by the seniors at the end of the game cost Mercer. Not Britt. Britt also had nothing to do with that intentional foul call as well.

By all means please explain how this loss is on Britt.
Congrats Warriors!!!! Beat Wayne County!!!!
SW owned them on the blocks with Lewis and Mercer never made any adjustments at all. Really don't understand that. Don't know why they stopped going to Lewis. He could have had 30 tonight. I also think Mercer got outcoached but thats just my opinion.
Mercer has had no inside presence all year on offense and defense at all. They did everything tonight they have done all year except make free throws and pass up open shots. Just don't know how that is on Britt. Who did Mercer have that could guard Robby Lewis? Had Southwestern had such good coaching Lewis would have had 30 points and they would have won by double digits. Mercer hasn't had an answer for a decent post presence all year. I have watched Mercer at least 10 times this year and I have never seen Cinnamon have such a lack of confidence in his shot. When your leading scorer scores 3 points and takes what....2 shots in the second half what is to be expected? Look at the Pulaski/Wayne game. Gover and Johnson never got going offensively and they lost. Cinnamon and Sagraves never got going and Mercer lost. By 4. Cinnamon scores just 10 points and Mercer wins.
leecoukfan Wrote:I called this game right on the dot!

Mercer Co.. 15 5 14 11 45

Southwestern 10 7 20 12 49

12th Region Semifinals at Lincoln Co.

Mercer Co. (22-9) -- Sagraves 5, Lee 12, Cinnamon 3, Taylor 1, Honchel 12, Compton 3, Buckner 2, Banks 7.

Southwestern (16-16) -- Lewis 16, Bellar 2, Edwards 6, Marlow 1, C. Epperson 8, J. Epperson 16.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...z1FyJccXBb

Believe it or not but this 1 point is what iced the game for the Warriors. Congrats to Mercer on a great year.
RebelPride12 Wrote:I disagree big time. Missed free throws down the stretch and throughout the game cost Mercer. Not Britt. Clay Cinnamon's reluctance to shoot(3 points from a kid averaging 21 points) and costly mistakes by the seniors at the end of the game cost Mercer. Not Britt. Britt also had nothing to do with that intentional foul call as well.

By all means please explain how this loss is on Britt.

The same reason the near loss to Lincoln Co. was on Britt.

Mercer Co. had superior talent to both SW & LC and still found a way to almost get beat by Lincoln and get beat by SW. I agree, Cinnamon didn't show up on the offensive end last night. However, if the coach had put more pressure on Southwesterns guards Cinnamon could have gotten off playing defense to offense in transition off of turnovers.
HoopsGuru Wrote:The same reason the near loss to Lincoln Co. was on Britt.

Mercer Co. had superior talent to both SW & LC and still found a way to almost get beat by Lincoln and get beat by SW. I agree, Cinnamon didn't show up on the offensive end last night. However, if the coach had put more pressure on Southwesterns guards Cinnamon could have gotten off playing defense to offense in transition off of turnovers.

True. Britt will tell you himself that the Lincoln loss was on him. He took full blame for that one. Mercer has scored a ton of points from their defense(average @ 70 points/game) so I do give credit to Southwestern for slowing down the game a lot. Mercer's inability to force turnovers and get easy baskets like they normally do, Southwestern winning all of the hustle plays, Robby Lewis and Mercer's lack of execution and missed free throws down the stretch got them a 4 point loss, IMO. When you look at everything they did wrong and the fact that they lost by 4 is why in this instance I can't blame the coaching. I can't use the word outcoached. Southwestern did everything they needed to do to win. I don't think Mercer executed well at all. Especially down the stretch. Southwestern wanted it more and they definitely played with more confidence than Mercer as well.