Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Regional titles for your school?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was just wondering about this the other day. I was thinking about how many overall regional titles my ole alma mater has and I thought that this would be a really fun thread to see all the history in the area!

With the formation of Shelby Valley in 1990 stemming from Dorton High School and Virgie High School I think that the overall regional title count would be 13. Some one correct me if I am wrong but Shelby Valley has 6
15th regional titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010) and I believe Dorton had 2 and Virgie had 5. Strong history for Valley as well as other teams in the area! So lets hear it!
I think Hazard has around 30 regional titles.
Its been 41 years and counting for Knox Central...
Zero for Raceland
I graduated from Buckhorn which has 1 or 2 and I think both of those came in the late 80's.

I teach at Breathitt and we have 10 or 11 with the latest coming in 96.
Zero for Lewis County.
Last one for Bell Co was in 1980. They havent won one under the new high school.
I think allen central has 1 or 2
Prestonsburg only has 1 that I'm aware of (1989).
0 for Cordia.
Altro Cat Wrote:I graduated from Buckhorn which has 1 or 2 and I think both of those came in the late 80's.

I teach at Breathitt and we have 10 or 11 with the latest coming in 96.

Buckhorn has two that I know of. They won region back to back(not sure the years) when John Paul Amis was the coach.
Perry Central has 5 and has only been open 15 years.
0 for Estill
Aslan Wrote:Buckhorn has two that I know of. They won region back to back(not sure the years) when John Paul Amis was the coach.

It's either 88 and 89 or 89 and 90 that they won the two titles.
Shelby County has a TON of regional titles, but I'm not exactly sure how many.
If I'm not mistaken(correct me if I am), East Ridge has one in it's 9 years of existence, 2004 15th Region Champs.
I think Dorton had one regional title but not for sure. Virgie had 5 that I can think of. 6 for SV giving a total of 12.Interesting note, 10 of those 12 had Rodney Rowe or Greg Newsome as /asst.coach/coach or player.:Clap:
blue1424 Wrote:Shelby County has a TON of regional titles, but I'm not exactly sure how many.

I was able to find 6 (1966, 1978, 1990, 2006, 2008, 2010). I thought Shelby Co. has been to more than 6.
Altro Cat Wrote:It's either 88 and 89 or 89 and 90 that they won the two titles.

I believe it was 89-90.
Lee County has 2 Regional Titles in 68 and 73.
blue1424 Wrote:Shelby County has a TON of regional titles, but I'm not exactly sure how many.
They've also got two state titles---1966 and 1978.
Jarons Wrote:I was able to find 6 (1966, 1978, 1990, 2006, 2008, 2010). I thought Shelby Co. has been to more than 6.

I think they have more than that. They have a banner full of them hanging up in the gym. The Lady Rockets have tons of regional titles as well.
32 for Ashland. Hope for 33 tomorrow.
blue1424 Wrote:I think they have more than that. They have a banner full of them hanging up in the gym. The Lady Rockets have tons of regional titles as well.

I have lived in Shelbyville since 2000, it seems like they have been to the state tournament more than three times since I moved here. I may also be thinking about the girls.
I think Shelby Co. played Ashland in the Sweet 16 around 1992 or 1993 when Matt Simons was playing.
Betsy Layne has two, 1976 and 1980

Not to upset anyone, but I believe in every record book you see...when schools combine to make one school, the record book doesn't give the new school recognition of the previous schools championships but leaves the recognition to the closed schools. Which would mean Shelby Valley has only won championships since it opened and all the previous titles would be recognized as either Virgie or Dorton.
new o Wrote:I think Dorton had one regional title but not for sure. Virgie had 5 that I can think of. 6 for SV giving a total of 12.Interesting note, 10 of those 12 had Rodney Rowe or Greg Newsome as /asst.coach/coach or player.:Clap:

1942 if I am not mistaken. I have an old picture of that team.
bball_fan Wrote:Betsy Layne has two, 1976 and 1980

Not to upset anyone, but I believe in every record book you see...when schools combine to make one school, the record book doesn't give the new school recognition of the previous schools championships but leaves the recognition to the closed schools. Which would mean Shelby Valley has only won championships since it opened and all the previous titles would be recognized as either Virgie or Dorton.
I can understand this with most consolidations where several schools are discontinued and a new one is built---with a new name, mascot, location, etc, with the exception of Laurel County. The Cardinals won the state championship in 1982. Then North Laurel was created because the school had outgrown itself. Instead of leaving the original school as Laurel County High, the school officials changed its name to South Laurel, even though it is still in the same building, same gym, same baseball field, and uses the same mascot name as the "old" high school. That has never made sense to me. Actually, only one new school was created, not two. Students were taken from the Laurel County High and moved into the new school to make North Laurel.
But in the state program it has Laurel County winning a state championship in 1982 and then another category for South Laurel when they won their championship.....even though they are the same school. Go figure.
fp_atl Wrote:32 for Ashland. Hope for 33 tomorrow.

Best basketball job East of Lex.
fp_atl Wrote:32 for Ashland. Hope for 33 tomorrow.
Is that a state record?
I don't have a clue how many Paintsville has in their history as a school. Maybe one of the other PV fans might know.
Pages: 1 2 3