Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Surveillance Techniques
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any ideas of foot surveillance techniques? I have to do it next week.
I only have to do it while at school.

I am going to bring a digital camera, take notes, try to take their path but a few feet behind them, I have some sneaky methods of getting pictures, but any more ideas?

I know we have SOMEONE here who knows something about it...
here you go tribe

Satellites [indent]Satellites literally provide their owners an eye in the sky and when used for surveillance purposes are more commonly referred to as spy satellites. One major class of spy satellite are Imagery Intelligence Satellites (IMINT).

Imagery Intelligence Satellites orbit at several hundred kilometres and use film and electronic cameras or radars to produce high resolution images of objects on the ground at ranges of up to one thousand kilometres.

A certain type of IMINT satellite known as 'Keyhole Class' satellite performs area surveillance. This type of satellite returns images to Earth via an electronic link. The most advanced of these satellites have a resolution of around 10 - 15 cm which means they can distinguish an object that small, but no smaller. As an example, this type of satellite is not capable of reading license plates of vehicles but they can tell if a vehicle has one, and they cannot provide real-time images however other 'assets' such as can.

A space based imaging radar can see through clouds and can potentially provide images with a resolution that approaches that of photographic reconnaissance satellites. A project to develop such a satellite by NASA is code named Lacrosse, first launched in 1988.

[Image: lacrosse.jpg]

National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) de-classified photo of Lacrosse
Lacrosse's main attribute, like most spy satellites, is its image sensor. Lacrosse beams microwave energy to the ground and reads the weak return signals reflected into space. This allows the satellite to 'see' objects on Earth that would otherwise be obscured by cloud cover and darkness. In order to send out these signals Lacrosse has very high power needs. It meets these needs with very large solar panels, larger than would be found on most satellites its size. Lacrosse uses a rectangular antenna, 48 feet long and 12 feet wide, that is very different from the standard mechanical antenna. This antenna is covered by rows and columns of small transmitting and receiving elements that help Lacrosse pick up the faint return signals bouncing back from the Earth.

[/indent]

[Image: back.gif]

CCTV
[indent]
Though modern satellites are capable of very high resolutions, Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) is a much cheaper solution to monitor streets, and is also used to monitor activity in buildings such as shops. In recent years, the use of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) in the UK has grown to unprecedented levels. Between 200 and 300 million pounds per year is now spent on a surveillance industry involving an estimated 300,000 cameras. These camera systems use sophisticated military technology utilising technologies such as infra red night vision, automatic tracking, remote control, audio channels, and a zoom so powerful that it can identify facial characteristics in full colour at two hundred yards.
[/indent]

Pattern Recognition
[indent]One technique used in both Satellites and CCTV is Pattern Recognition. Pattern Recognition is the research area that studies the operation and design of systems that recognise patterns in data. Because pattern recognition encloses many sub-deciplines like discriminant analysis, feature extraction, cluster analysis (together sometimes called statistical pattern recognition) and parsing (sometimes called syntactical pattern recognition) this do***ent will focus on statistical pattern recognition as it is commonly used in spy satellites and CCTV systems with computerised facial recognition (CFR).

An image serves as input to various segmentation algorithms that partition the image into components. These components are further identified as possible candidates that represent objects of interest. The process is listed below:
  • The system extracts a set of measurements from each of the component sub-images. For example, it might compute the centroid of the largest and shortest axes. These measurements are referred to as the features of an object in the context of pattern recognition. The result of the processing is an n-dimensional vector of features (i.e. each detected sub-image is characterised by one of these feature vectors). The number of features and what they represent varies with each problem.
  • The feature vector is input into the pattern-recognition system. The system’s goal is to determine whether the feature vector belongs to one of several classifications that the system knows about.
Now the pattern recognition challenge consists of partitioning a vector space F (feature vectors) into various object types which can be identified. Two main pattern recognition approaches address this issue.
  • Cluster approach. Here you have a set of feature vectors that characterise some objects, and your goal is to find out if some partition of the space F groups these objects into any meaningful sets.
  • Classification approach. You are given a partition of the space F into a set of classes and a new vector. This approach determines to which of the given classes a new feature vector belongs.

CFR - Pattern Recognition Applied to CCTV

By incorporating CFR into CCTV systems, it is possible to gather intelligence covertly using hidden cameras while being able to identify specific people of interest. The main advantage of using CFR as opposed to other identification technologies is that it is passive and non-intrusive. It is far easier to obtain an image of a suspect than using other biometric technologies such as fingerprints, retinal scans or hand geometry systems.

Previous attempts at incorporating real-time CFR required powerful and expensive computers, which were often slow and produced inaccurate results. A person’s new hairstyle or spectacles could confuse and defeat many systems.

Identifying an individual by analysing a face is a complex process which usually requires sophisticated artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques. Artificial intelligence is needed to simulate human interpretation of faces. People do change over time. Facial hair, glasses and the position of the head can affect the way CFR can match one face with another. Machine learning is important to adapt to these changes and accurately compare new samples with previously recorded templates. The illustration below shows how CFR works in conjunction with a CCTV system. [indent]Process of facial recognition

In CFR, computers perform three distinct but related tasks:

[/indent][/indent]
[Image: cfr.gif]
[indent][indent]Capture
The face must be located within the image. This can be simple (e.g., finding two circles that are assumed to be eyes), or it can consist of complex mini-recognition algorithms that divide the entire image into smaller sub-images and attempt to recognise a face in each subimage. Once a face has been found a number of points on the face is mapped out. For example, the position of the eyes, mouth and nostrils may be plotted so that a unique template is built. Alternatively a three – dimensional map of the face may be created from the captured image.
[/indent][/indent][indent]

[Image: faces.jpg]

A three dimensional facial image using CFR
[indent]Extraction
The facial image is converted into a pattern and then a unique mathematical code. This is stored as a template in a database.
[/indent][/indent][indent][indent]Comparison
For recognition the target template is compared to all templates in the database for matches. Verification is considered a much simpler task than recognition, because only a single comparison is necessary.

[Image: facialcompa.GIF] Comparison of facial images

[/indent][/indent][indent][indent]Limitations of CFR

The complex nature of facial recognition still poses many difficulties even now with the advent of advanced Neural Networks and DSP's. The precise position of the user’s face and the surrounding lighting conditions may affect the systems performance. Human beings are inconsistent and physical characteristics can change slightly over time, This is why modern CCTV systems using CFR must allow for these subtle changes, so a threshold is set. This can take the form of an accuracy score. Here, comparison between the template and new sample must exceed the systems threshold before a match is recorded. The fact that CFR can be used in a wide variety of applications and not just in the context of surveillance will mean that there is a great incentive for scientists and engineers to overcome these difficulties. It will be only a matter of time before we see CFR being used in many aspects of our lives.

[/indent]

[/indent]
That seems pretty high tech......
I don't think tribe has access to all that batpuff...
you mean I am the only one with all of this. lol
Batpuff Wrote:you mean I am the only one with all of this. lol

I would assume so... Smile
Very funny Bat. I saw that site yesterday, it's the first one when you google surveillance techniques. Notice I said FOOT surveillance and AT SCHOOL. I hate you.
tribe hate is such a strong word you could have used dislike, dont get along with anymore, but hate.

Foot Surveillance

Foot surveillance may be undertaken by one or more individuals. One-person foot surveillance is rather complicated and fairly easy to detect by an adult person. The surveillant must remain relatively close to the target, particularly in congested areas, to avoid losing him or her. In less congested areas the surveillant can maintain a greater distance, but the lack of other pedestrians makes the surveillant that much more noticeable. The one complicating factor is the use of a disguise to make the surveillant look different. One indicator of the possible use of a disguise is a shopping bag or some other container for a change of clothes, particularly if the shopping bag is from a store not found in the area or the container somehow seems out of place. Where a disguise is suspected, pay particular attention to shoes and slacks or skirts. These items are less easily and, therefore, less commonly changed. In elevators, watch for people who seem to wait for you to push a button and then select a floor one flight above or below yours.
Two-person foot surveillance is more effective in that the second surveillant provides greater flexibility. Normally, one surveillant remains close to the target while the other stays at a greater distance. The second surveillant may follow the first on the same side of the street or travel on the opposite side. Periodically the two surveillants change position so that if the target spots one of them, that one will soon be out of sight, leading the target to think that he or she was mistaken. Obviously, spotting this form of surveillance is more complicated, but individuals who are alert to the people in their vicinity will eventually detect the same surveillant over a period of time.
Foot surveillance with three or more people uses the most sophisticated techniques and is the most difficult to spot. Generally, one surveillant remains behind the target close enough to respond to any sudden moves. A second surveillant remains behind the first on the same side of the street with the first surveillant in sight. A third surveillant travels on the opposite side of the street parallel with or just behind the target. In areas where the target has few paths to choose, one surveillant may walk in front of the target, where he or she is least likely to cause suspicion. The positions of the surveillant are behind the target and are frequently changed, most commonly at intersections. The surveillant directly behind the target may move to the opposite side of the street, while another surveillant moves in close behind the target. With the additional surveillants, any surveillant who feels that he or she has been observed may drop out of alert; not only those people behind them, but also those across the street and perhaps in front of them. If the same person is seen more than once over a certain distance, surveillance may be suspected even if that person is not continuously seen.
Common methods for detecting surveillants apply to all three forms of foot surveillance. Some of the most effective are:
1. Stopping abruptly and looking to the rear.
2. Suddenly reversing your course.
3. Stopping abruptly after turning a corner.
4. Watching reflections in the windows or other reflective surfaces.
5. Entering a building and leaving immediately by another exit.
6. Walking slowly and then rapidly at intervals.
7. Dropping a piece of paper to see if anyone retrieves it.
8. Boarding or exiting a bus or subway just before it starts.
9. Making sudden turns or walking around the block.
While taking these actions, watch for people who are taken by surprise, react inappropriately, suddenly change direction, or give a signal to someone else. Surveillants will not normally look directly at the target, but they may do so if they are surprised or unaware that you are observing them.
Foot surveillance is often used in conjunction with vehicle surveillance since it is likely that the target will use a combination of foot and vehicle transportation.
Just don't fall over a fence while doing it.
lol
what are u going to be tribe?
CatDawg Wrote:Just don't fall over a fence while doing it.

Oh how those days are so **** funny now.:argue:
I need real info, real ideas.
I know that you are trying to help Bat but those are just articles from google.
I read them in class the other day and I need something that will actually help me. You know what I mean?
Give me some tips to help me get good pictures or something.
well tribe the last I posted is as close to it as you can get to it with out doing it yourself! The only way to really figure it out is to do test runs before you do the real thing. Practice on someone else, a friend a family member, whatever, she if you can do it that way without getting noticed, then move on to the real target!
get a small camera and turn the flash off.. one with a quick shutter speed.. if possible, that way if you have to do a walk by you can just angle the camera in your hand and snap pics without raising yoru hand up.. If you are following somone and they stop just keep walking by, and stop so far ahead of them and wait for them to go by and resume following.. Don't make sudden movements, and don't be afraid of eye contact.. Don't stare, but don't turn away too fast..
CTD you are correct also
I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I may use a cellphone to take some pictures because everyone always have them out and I have a trick to take a picture with a camera without the subject knowing you are taking it of them sooo I may use that. I don't really know what my teacher wants us to find out about the person because the subject I have in mind is going to be VERY easy.