Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay Co. 62 Harlan Co. 61 (13th Region - 1st RD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Hooker took the ball the length of the court with just over 5 ticks on the clock to win it.
Good game!
Congrats Tigers!! Amazing Win!

Harlan Co. 16 14 12 19 61

Clay Co. 14 9 22 17 62

13th Region at The Arena, Corbin

First round

Harlan Co. (20-10) -- Sergent 25, Brewer 21, Massingill 1, Caldwell 10, Bond 4.

Clay Co. (22-9) -- Gay 9, McGeorge 3, Hooker 8, Mitchell 17, Roberts 8, Whitaker 12, McDaniel 3, Waggers 2.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...z1FbBSGa1W
congrats to CC
Wow. Sound like a dandy. Congrats Clay.
That was an ugly win. That's the beauty of a tournament though. 3 ugly wins and you'll be making a trip to Rupp Arena. My heart goes out to the HC kids. That's a tough way to fall, and they deserved to win tonight. That's the sign of a good team though. Finding way to win when you shouldn't.
Congrats to the Clay County Tigers and great job by John Vernon Hooker.:Clap:
One of the best first round games I have seen in the 13th region. My heart goes out to the Coaches and his kids. They truly deserved to win that game the way those young boys played. I am also curious what was the call when Roberts went to the line down 1 with 30 or so seconds left in the game. I could not see the play from my seat. I also wonder if the shot would have been good by Hooker if .4 was not added to the clock. Anyway it was a heck of a play by the senior Hooker. Congrats to Clay Co. and good luck against Corbin.
Congrats To Both Teams! Clay County on the Win and Harlan County on a Tremendous Season
A lot of people counted Harlan County out early in the season but their record was as good as anyone's and they had the capability of winning this region.
Congrats to Clay on pulling out a big win.
This can only help them down the stretch.
The kid had a hold of Roberts' jersey when he popped out of the stack, and I seem .8 on the clock after Hooker hit the lay up. Good realization by him to know he could get all the way and not pull it early.
Wow, what a heartbreaker!!!

Congratulations to the Clay County Tigers on a nail bitting victory!!

Also recognition to the Harlan County Black Bears.....what a game.
I believe this is the best, most intense game I've seen all season.

Oh, and as a last comment on this game, the leading scorere for the HC Bears was Alex Sergent.....NOT Harold Bailey.

:thatsfunn
Granny Bear Wrote:Wow, what a heartbreaker!!!

Congratulations to the Clay County Tigers on a nail bitting victory!!

Also recognition to the Harlan County Black Bears.....what a game.
I believe this is the best, most intense game I've seen all season.

Oh, and as a last comment on this game, the leading scorere for the HC Bears was Alex Sergent.....NOT Harold Bailey.

:thatsfunn

I thought they were saying "Carroll" Bailey.....what's up with that???

Grats to both teams, especially CC on a hard fought victory.
HC....there's always next year; especially with such a young team. I was very proud of the way you guys performed last night!!
:rockon:
How do you let someone go coast to coast without making him turn a couple times, and I'm sure not going to give him a good look at the basket to have a chance to beat me, after such a great heart filled effort the whole game, and then let someone do that, made it all for not! Just don't understand, I would of knocked him on his butt before I let him score that basket.
I am sure that was the idea to turn him, but #44 set a great screen at half court to free Hooker. Hooker just made a senior type play. Then the old Clay Co. seal screen on the block prevented any chance of a foul.
wow what a game.. harlan deserved to win but clay county did a clay county thing and just took a game from somebody who deserved to win when they shouldnt
Looks like coach Marcum taught them well and had them ready for the last second play, maybe he can give Coach Cal some lessons.
That last play was over before it started. When HC came out in afull court press and had the back court open it was apparent what was going to happen. Hooker is the biggest and fastest kid on the floor. He was going to get it down the floor against that D. I understand some pressure, but a 3 quarter press seemed more logical to me. You could slow him down, and have enough men in back court to play defense.
Hit and Run Wrote:That last play was over before it started. When HC came out in afull court press and had the back court open it was apparent what was going to happen. Hooker is the biggest and fastest kid on the floor. He was going to get it down the floor against that D. I understand some pressure, but a 3 quarter press seemed more logical to me. You could slow him down, and have enough men in back court to play defense.

I couldn't agree more.

HC actually did turn him once, but he was immediately lined up for his shot after that turn.

I'm not going to even attempt to take anything away from Hooker, though. What a great player!! He knew exactly what he had to do...and he did it.
Kudos to him.
It doesn't matter...
Mike Jones is still' tippin' on 4-4's.
Ballers Wrote:It doesn't matter...
Mike Jones is still' tippin' on 4-4's.

Who?
^^^Mike Jones.
I read the Harlan Daily on the net today and from what I read HC was supposed to switch on any screens. Hooker made the play, but #44 pick at half court and #15 pick around the rim got him open. That was three seniors making a play when it counted. HC could have pointed some things out on "D" that could benefit Corbin Sat. It looked like they chased Roberts and the two guards played off Hooker. One more thing what grade is #4 in for Clay Co. He made some big 3's in the third quarter.
Mountain Wrote:I read the Harlan Daily on the net today and from what I read HC was supposed to switch on any screens. Hooker made the play, but #44 pick at half court and #15 pick around the rim got him open. That was three seniors making a play when it counted. HC could have pointed some things out on "D" that could benefit Corbin Sat. It looked like they chased Roberts and the two guards played off Hooker. One more thing what grade is #4 in for Clay Co. He made some big 3's in the third quarter.
He is a senior. His name is Allen Whitaker. He really came up big when Clay needed him last night. The MVP was Mitchell, but I think Whitaker should've been in the running. Really kept them in the game that 3rd quarter.
I really don't understand the HC deserved to win quotes. The team the manages to score the most points at the end deserves to win. HC did play their best game and Clay played one of their worst but it was still good enough to win, so they deserved to win.