Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KABC Player/Coach of the year award winners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
  • this is just regions 12-16
  • 12th Player of the year Sara Hammond-Rockcastle runner up Danay Fothergill-Pulaski Southwestern Coach Tim Rice Pulaski Southwestern
  • 13th Player of the year-Whitney Belle Jackson-Clay Co. runner up Chelsey Smith-Pineville Coach David Teague=Bell Co.
  • 14th Player of the year:Hillary Moore-Leslie Co. runner up:Chelsea Alexander=Estill Co. Coach:Mark Collett-Leslie Co.and Coach Ken Jones-Powell Co.
  • 15th Player of the year Carla Booth-Sheldon Clark runner up Taylor Hott=Betsy Lane Coach:Rodney Rowe=Shelby Valley
  • 16th Player of the year:Kristin Perry-West Carter runner up Kosha Puente-Fleming Co coach:Kristy Orem-Fleming Co.
As a person who doesn't usually like all-tourney teams, MVP and Coach of the Year awards, I must say I think the voters of the 16th region got it right. IMO, Perry is the hands down player of the year and Fleming's Puente has set the tone for Fleming's outstanding season. Kristy Orem is definitely deserving of the COY award. The only way I think the voting could have been "more correct" is if co-coaches were selected with Bill Bradley joining Orem. Bradley has taken a young Ashland team and transformed them into a legitimate regional contender.
Congrats to all of the winners!
The list sounds good to me all around. I think Coach Noble got hurt in the fact that everyone expected Rock to be great, but you can't knock what Tim Rice has done at SW.
IMO, Coach Steve Miller of Magoffin deserves Coach of the Year in the 15th. Probably the biggest turn-around this year. From going 10-15 last year and losing in the first round of the districts to having the best record in the 15th, and making it to the expo for the first time in 4 years. But congrats to all winners.
McCameraMan Wrote:IMO, Coach Steve Miller of Magoffin deserves Coach of the Year in the 15th. Probably the biggest turn-around this year. From going 10-15 last year and losing in the first round of the districts to having the best record in the 15th, and making it to the expo for the first time in 4 years. But congrats to all winners.
I agree with you I think Pup Miller should of got COY
Why do you have two coaches listed for the 14th? I hope that the Ken Jones is just a joke. Also think that coach Miller could have won the award in the 15 but coach rowe is a great coach as well. Thanks for the info.
kcc73 Wrote:Why do you have two coaches listed for the 14th? I hope that the Ken Jones is just a joke. Also think that coach Miller could have won the award in the 15 but coach rowe is a great coach as well. Thanks for the info.
it was a tie for COY in the 14th
Kendall Noble is the best player in the 14th region by a mile. If Player of the Year is only for seniors then that makes absolutely no sense. The best player in the region is just that--the best player, regardless of what grade they're in.
I agree. I checked into these awards with some coaches and found out to even vote for these awards that coaches must pay dues each season to recieve a ballot. Don't think many coaches on the girls side in the 14th pay their dues! Just another money maker and not for the right reasons!
kcc73 Wrote:Why do you have two coaches listed for the 14th? I hope that the Ken Jones is just a joke. Also think that coach Miller could have won the award in the 15 but coach rowe is a great coach as well. Thanks for the info.

that's what i don't get is why he was voted over Estill's Head Coach. Estill beat Powell All 3 Times They Met This Year and Estill has a Better Overall Record Than PC does. Nothing Against PC cause they do have a pretty good team and i believe they return Everyone For Next Year's Team, I Just don't see how he gets the nod over McKinley
He must not be liked by the few coaches that pay the dues! Pretty sad. But how could you like Jones with his attitude better?
i do not know
congratulations! :Thumbs:

12th Player of the year Sara Hammond-Rockcastle runner up Danay Fothergill-Pulaski Southwestern Coach Tim Rice Pulaski Southwestern
If I'm not mistaken, only teams that belongs to the KABC are eligible for the award and are the only ones allowed to vote. Not usually a true sampling.Congratulations to those winners, but everyone is not considered for either the coach's award or player of the year.
No offense to Coach Teague of Bell Co. in the 13th, and I'm sure these are based on the regular season, but Coach Akal at Harlan took a team with no seniors to 15+ wins and a district tourney title from the 4 seed including an upset of Bell. If I had a vote, I would have to use it accordingly.
Congrats to all of the winners
kcc73 Wrote:I agree. I checked into these awards with some coaches and found out to even vote for these awards that coaches must pay dues each season to recieve a ballot. Don't think many coaches on the girls side in the 14th pay their dues! Just another money maker and not for the right reasons!
Been that way for quite some time. Early nineties I believe.
Congrats to the Lady Tiger-Whitney Belle Jackson
I think the best player has to be a senior because they get invited to the all-star tryouts. Noble was the best player in the 14th last year, too, but the award has always been for seniors.

I agree that Akal is coach of the year in the region. Teague was the best choice last year.
Dungy Wrote:No offense to Coach Teague of Bell Co. in the 13th, and I'm sure these are based on the regular season, but Coach Akal at Harlan took a team with no seniors to 15+ wins and a district tourney title from the 4 seed including an upset of Bell. If I had a vote, I would have to use it accordingly.

This was all done before district even started.