Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region Draw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I'm not a Hazard fan but I can tell you close to what Memorial Gym's seating capacity is. Once when our school was in the regional tournament and we were allowed a couple hours practice there (each school back then was scheduled a practice if they wanted one), I tagged along to watch them practice and took the time to count the rows, then calculated the distance for one adult person seated , then added the numbers. It comes out to around 2200. You can get about an extra 200 with standing room. That's 2400 total. The Hazard folk will tell you it seats 3500, but it won't come close to that amount.

I'm thinking it will be a mess trying to get a seat i know hazard will have a big crowd im not sure but i think Knott will have as many. they might even fill the gym between the two schools so were does that but Estill and breathitt fans like i said just trying to plan the trip guess you need to be there around 5 pm.
When we were in the 10th in Mason co they cleared the gym between each game you had to pay twice but you always had your own cheering section.
They usually have signs showing each school's fans where to sit as well as a sign for each school's band.
14th Region Finals since Perry Central
1996 Breathitt County defeated Knott County Central at Knott County Central
1997 Perry County Central defeated Whitesburg at Perry County Central
1998 Hazard defeated Perry County Central at Powell County
1999 Perry County Central defeated Knott County Central at Breathitt County
2000 Perry County Central defeated Knott County Central at Hazard
2001 Hazard defeated Wolfe County at Knott County Central
2002 Whitesburg defeated Breathitt County at Perry County Central
2003 Powell County defeated Perry County Central at Powell County
2004 Perry County Central defeated Breathitt County at Breathitt County
2005 Perry County Central defeated Leslie County at Hazard
2006 Hazard defeated Jackson City at Knott County Central
2007 June Buchanan defeated Hazard at Letcher County Central
2008 Hazard defeated Perry County Central at Perry County Central
2009 Hazard defeated Perry County Central at Powell County
2010 Knott County Central defeated Perry County Central at Breathitt County

Perry County Central 5 Championships 10 Finals
Hazard 5 Championships 6 Finals
Knott County Central 1 Championship 4 Finals
Breathitt County 1 Championship 3 Finals
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I'm not a Hazard fan but I can tell you close to what Memorial Gym's seating capacity is. Once when our school was in the regional tournament and we were allowed a couple hours practice there (each school back then was scheduled a practice if they wanted one), I tagged along to watch them practice and took the time to count the rows, then calculated the distance for one adult person seated , then added the numbers. It comes out to around 2200. You can get about an extra 200 with standing room. That's 2400 total. The Hazard folk will tell you it seats 3500, but it won't come close to that amount.

I think there is a sign in the lobby that says "Capacity 2200". I don't think any "Hazard Folk" will try to tell you any different! The crowds have gotten smaller over the years and are way down this year IMO. Memorial Gym will do just fine!
** unretiring **
Interesting stat....
Perry has NEVER beaten Hazard in the regional Championship
** retiring again **
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:I think there is a sign in the lobby that says "Capacity 2200". I don't think any "Hazard Folk" will try to tell you any different! The crowds have gotten smaller over the years and are way down this year IMO. Memorial Gym will do just fine!

No, it's going to be a mess, like it always is.
Aslan Wrote:No, it's going to be a mess, like it always is.

So it makes no different how you plan your trip your saying it's a mess.What are you going to do?
Deacon Lane Wrote:14th Region Finals since Perry Central

Hmmmmm.

I agree. The regional tournament should never be held there.
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:I think there is a sign in the lobby that says "Capacity 2200". I don't think any "Hazard Folk" will try to tell you any different! The crowds have gotten smaller over the years and are way down this year IMO. Memorial Gym will do just fine!
I've had a lot of Hazard folk over the years tell me that the gym seated over 3,000. Many will say 3500. I've never had one tell me it seats 2200. Has that capacity sign been there very long, because it is definitely correct?

By the way, Estill County's gym seats 2200 (evidently the same as Hazard's), but one of their school officials told me they would not try to get in the rotation because he feels the gym is too small.

PCC 5 championships-5/5 Al Holland, 7/10 finals Al Holland
Hazard 5 Championships-2/5 Al Holland, 2/6 finals Al Holland
Wow
EKYHoops Wrote:No knock against Coach Holland because we all know he is a great one, but he is in one of the weakest regions in the state, and a great coach like himself should have many region titles. I think they both are great coaches, but they don't take any shots and don't make any free throws or turnovers. All they can do is both prepare their kids for everything that can happen, but the end result is "THE KIDS HAVE TO PERFORM" GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THE REGION. :Cheerlead

The 1st region is not a power house either.
neverguesswhoiam Wrote:Big Al has had many great players come his way. He's recruited most of them. He's the high school version of coach Cal, can recruit but not that great of a coach. This year it's showing and his team won't win it this year.

:worthy:

Don't matter how many Holland has, Hatcher's the better coach of the two. I like the last sentence there as well :Thumbs:

To say that coach Holland is not that good of a coach is just crazy, and to say Coach Cal is not that good of a coach is just plain ridiculous!In all my years this may be the craziest post I've seen on here.For some reason you must not like Coach Holland and that is fine. But like him or not you have to respect him.Al has had alot of talent but so has Hatcher especially during his runs in the 1st region and defiantly in his state Championship team in W.V.(can't think of the players name but he played at Virginia and in the NBA)

Don't get me wrong Coach Hatcher is not only one of the best coaches in the state he is one the greatest coaches ever to coach in Kentucky! But Al Holland is as well.In my opinion these are the 2 best coaches to ever coach in the 14th! It kills me when both sides get on here and bash the others coach.I would love to have either of them coaching at my favorite school.

Not tring to start anything but both coaches have had careers that any coach would kill for and to put either one of them down or say either one of them isn't a great coach is either jealousy or lack of knowledge.
OK.... I'd say there will be around 1,700 at the Wolfe/Perry... 1,600 at the Lee/Letcher.... 1,500 at the Estill/Breathitt.... 2,200 at the Hazard/Knott.... And then the only other game that will have 2,000 there will be the finals....... So it really don't matter where the region is......

People just don't want to have the region at Hazard because everyone is too lazy to walk up a hill to the gym.... But HAZARD IS THE FACE OF THE REGION..... And another thing, All the schools in the 14th around Hazard owes it to Hazard to let them have the tournament because Hazard let Memorial Gym be the home gym for everyone back in the day..

And if you do go to the Tournament make sure you check out the walls at the gym and all the banners and pictures of Hazard greats... It's a great history lesson.. I know a lot of the older fans RESPECT it....
thegr81 Wrote:To say that coach Holland is not that good of a coach is just crazy, and to say Coach Cal is not that good of a coach is just plain ridiculous!In all my years this may be the craziest post I've seen on here.For some reason you must not like Coach Holland and that is fine. But like him or not you have to respect him.Al has had alot of talent but so has Hatcher especially during his runs in the 1st region and defiantly in his state Championship team in W.V.(can't think of the players name but he played at Virginia and in the NBA)

Don't get me wrong Coach Hatcher is not only one of the best coaches in the state he is one the greatest coaches ever to coach in Kentucky! But Al Holland is as well.In my opinion these are the 2 best coaches to ever coach in the 14th! It kills me when both sides get on here and bash the others coach.I would love to have either of them coaching at my favorite school.

Not tring to start anything but both coaches have had careers that any coach would kill for and to put either one of them down or say either one of them isn't a great coach is either jealousy or lack of knowledge.

Agree... I'm from Hazard, I've played, coached, and loved Hazard my whole life But I'll be the first to tell you that Hatcher is a great coach.... Hatcher, and Holland are as different as Night and Day. I've coached under Holland and I've talked to Hatcher and Scouted Hatcher many times. Everyone knocks on Holland because he has always had great players, but there's nothing harder then Coaching a 16, or 17 year old kid who thinks he's the best ever. One thing Holland always does is prepares his team. He can control talent better then anyone. Hatcher on the other hand, I believe he don't need or want Talent. All Hatcher needs is a few hard workers. He teaches kids respect and hard work. And you can tell that the game is Hatcher's life. This Region is very lucky to have two great coaches. And I believe that there are many young coaches in the region who are learning from the two great coaches.
ekff Wrote:OK.... I'd say there will be around 1,700 at the Wolfe/Perry... 1,600 at the Lee/Letcher.... 1,500 at the Estill/Breathitt.... 2,200 at the Hazard/Knott.... And then the only other game that will have 2,000 there will be the finals....... So it really don't matter where the region is......

People just don't want to have the region at Hazard because everyone is too lazy to walk up a hill to the gym.... But HAZARD IS THE FACE OF THE REGION..... And another thing, All the schools in the 14th around Hazard owes it to Hazard to let them have the tournament because Hazard let Memorial Gym be the home gym for everyone back in the day..

And if you do go to the Tournament make sure you check out the walls at the gym and all the banners and pictures of Hazard greats... It's a great history lesson.. I know a lot of the older fans RESPECT it....

The region was played at Hazard Memorial Gym every year from the time it opened in the late 1940's until Breathitt opened their facility in 1965. It was played there because it was the only place large enough in those days to host it. And the gym is not Hazard High School's gym. It belongs to the city. Dilce Combs and MC Napier both played their games there as well.
But Memorial is now small compared to other gyms in the region who have much more seating and better parking. The other schools in the region don't "owe" Hazard anything. Heck, the school, and city, have made a lot of money from the tournamnent over the years. Not to mention the huge advantage it gave them in winning the tournament as many times as they did by getting to play it on their home floor every year.
No one "owes" Hazard anything. They were more than happy to have the tournament in their house all those years. Huge advantage. Money was made. They could be the 'host' to the refs, show them to their dressing room, bring them a snack and cola at halftime. Their players didn't have to load on a bus for a long journey to the game. Their players got to play the game in a gym that they were very familiar with since they practiced there every day. I don't understand how you feel the other schools "owe" Hazard anything.

ekff, you're too hung up on tradition. "Hazard is the face of the region". "Look at all the banners and pictures of the greats". "It's a history lesson".
Times change. There's banners and wall plaques at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington too. But I don't see UK playing their games there or even half their games. They play at Rupp. It's bigger, has better parking, more modern, and can generate more money. Hazard is too outdated, too small, and the parking is too inadequate, to be a host of the regional tournament. History lessons and wall plaques aren't enough to offset that.
ekff Wrote:OK.... I'd say there will be around 1,700 at the Wolfe/Perry... 1,600 at the Lee/Letcher.... 1,500 at the Estill/Breathitt.... 2,200 at the Hazard/Knott.... And then the only other game that will have 2,000 there will be the finals....... So it really don't matter where the region is......

This entire post is a joke!!!!
Everyone EXCEPT Hazard fans are irritated that they can host region!
It should be 2 places and 2 places only...Knott and Perry..just like the wymt..there is a reason Hazard cannot host the wymt, it is miserable..ALL ASPECTS!
thegr81 Wrote:To say that coach Holland is not that good of a coach is just crazy, and to say Coach Cal is not that good of a coach is just plain ridiculous!In all my years this may be the craziest post I've seen on here.For some reason you must not like Coach Holland and that is fine. But like him or not you have to respect him.Al has had alot of talent but so has Hatcher especially during his runs in the 1st region and defiantly in his state Championship team in W.V.(can't think of the players name but he played at Virginia and in the NBA)

:Thumbs:
ekff Wrote:Agree... I'm from Hazard, I've played, coached, and loved Hazard my whole life But I'll be the first to tell you that Hatcher is a great coach.... Hatcher, and Holland are as different as Night and Day. I've coached under Holland and I've talked to Hatcher and Scouted Hatcher many times. Everyone knocks on Holland because he has always had great players, but there's nothing harder then Coaching a 16, or 17 year old kid who thinks he's the best ever. One thing Holland always does is prepares his team. He can control talent better then anyone. Hatcher on the other hand, I believe he don't need or want Talent. All Hatcher needs is a few hard workers. He teaches kids respect and hard work. And you can tell that the game is Hatcher's life. This Region is very lucky to have two great coaches. And I believe that there are many young coaches in the region who are learning from the two great coaches.
HeGotGame Wrote:This entire post is a joke!!!!
Everyone EXCEPT Hazard fans are irritated that they can host region!
It should be 2 places and 2 places only...Knott and Perry..just like the wymt..there is a reason Hazard cannot host the wymt, it is miserable..ALL ASPECTS!

Memorial Gym is badly outdated. Don't get me wrong, I love the gym. Playing in it, or being a spectator, the atmosphere is second to none. But a regional tournament should not be held there. Too small and zero parking.

I'm looking foward to it i have friends in Hazard i just like to plan nothing about Hazard or the gym. My very good friend Roger Kirby coached there but i never did get to see his teams. So what about this walk to the gym what's that all about?
guardtheball Wrote:I'm looking foward to it i have friends in Hazard i just like to plan nothing about Hazard or the gym. My very good friend Roger Kirby coached there but i never did get to see his teams. So what about this walk to the gym what's that all about?

There's basically no parking at the gym, you have to park at the bottom of the hill(if your lucky).
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Right. Since PCC was formed the score is 5-1.

I think one thing that has hurt Knott Central, and Breathitt County as well, is that in their glory years of winning many regional tournaments their enrollments were over 1000. Both schools enrollments are now in the neighborhood of 650-675.
Breathitt's big heyday period was in the late 1950's through the early part of the 1960's, plus a few more years throwed in here and there. In the 1960's their enrollment was close to 1200. They've lost half of that enrollment due to population loss. Same thing in Knott. They're both now under the enrollment totals of Estill and Powell. Don't let anyone doubt that enrollment is a very important factor in building a strong program. Numbers mean a lot. that's why it's puzzling why Powell and Estill haven't ben more successful (but in Estill's defense they have been stuck in the tough 10th region with the likes of Mason, Clark, and Montgomery Counties)
Now with that said, some smaller systems do find ways to be competitive, but I won't go into the details of how they manage to do that, not today anyway.:biggrin: But I will say that IMO it takes a lot more than the "You got to work harder than the other schools" line that is usually mentioned.

Knott Co. Central has an enrollment of over 700 students, grades 9-12. IDK Breathitt Co.'s exact numbers, but they only have grades 10-12 in their school, so I'd say it's not very large.

Oh, and Knott has a larger enrollment than both Powell and Estill.

One thing that it seems people are forgetting is that Perry Central, as a school, is not very old. Any time a school consolidates, with the apparent exception of Letcher Central (except in Girl's Basketball), they are bound to have several consecutive years of success in just about everything they do. Perry Central, I believe, opened around 1996, meaning that it is around only 15 years old. When KCC first opened in the 1974-1975 school year, they won region, as well as several years after that. In fact, they won, I believe, 3 consecutive years at one point. As time fades, this success stream will fade as population fades, with each school having good years every so often. PCC is just starting to reach that end. KCC is 36 years old, and Hazard and Breathitt are even older. It is up to the individual schools as to whether or not this success will be maintained. Hazard has done an excellent job of maintaining it, as well as KCC, in more than just sports like basketball, but in everything they do. In fact, I believe Hazard def has the most region titles, with either Breathitt or Knott in 2nd.

In a few years, the entire region will go down hill and practically stay there if feeder programs do not improve. That's how Knott Co.'s football program was destroyed. When I was in middle school, our sports were taken just as, if not more, seriously, than high school athletics. I know we had more fans show up. If elementary sports are not worked with, then it will be a long new decade, maybe longer, for the 14th to send serious competition to state.
Stay home.
PATS2011 Wrote:Knott Co. Central has an enrollment of over 700 students, grades 9-12. IDK Breathitt Co.'s exact numbers, but they only have grades 10-12 in their school, so I'd say it's not very large.

Oh, and Knott has a larger enrollment than both Powell and Estill.

Sorry, but you're wrong with your figures.

These are from the latest enrollment reports (2010) turned in to the KHSAA for grades 9 through 12 (and Breathitt is 9 through 12, not the top 3 grades as you stated. No schools in the 14th region are 10-12 Actually, not many in the state are anymore either).

Estill County- 729
Powell county-721
Knott Central- 692
Breathitt County- 671

Perry Central has 1000 students, Letcher Central 951. Estill rankes 3rd in the region and Powell is 4th. Knott and Breathitt are 5th and 6th.

Here they are for all the 14th region schools per KHSAA:

1. Perry Central-1000
2. Letcher Central- 951
3. Estill County- 729
4. Powell County- 721
5. Knott Central- 692
6. Breathitt County- 671
7. Leslie County- 546
8. Wolfe County-412
9. Lee County- 330
10. Hazard-293
11. Owsley County- 269
12. Jenkins- 201
13. Buckhorn- 199
14. Jackson City- 113
15. Cordia- 102
16. Riverside Christian- 48
17. June Buchanan- 37
PATS2011 Wrote:One thing that it seems people are forgetting is that Perry Central, as a school, is not very old. Any time a school consolidates, with the apparent exception of Letcher Central (except in Girl's Basketball), they are bound to have several consecutive years of success in just about everything they do. Perry Central, I believe, opened around 1996, meaning that it is around only 15 years old. When KCC first opened in the 1974-1975 school year, they won region, as well as several years after that. In fact, they won, I believe, 3 consecutive years at one point. As time fades, this success stream will fade as population fades, with each school having good years every so often. PCC is just starting to reach that end. KCC is 36 years old, and Hazard and Breathitt are even older. It is up to the individual schools as to whether or not this success will be maintained. Hazard has done an excellent job of maintaining it, as well as KCC, in more than just sports like basketball, but in everything they do. In fact, I believe Hazard def has the most region titles, with either Breathitt or Knott in 2nd.

In a few years, the entire region will go down hill and practically stay there if feeder programs do not improve. That's how Knott Co.'s football program was destroyed. When I was in middle school, our sports were taken just as, if not more, seriously, than high school athletics. I know we had more fans show up. If elementary sports are not worked with, then it will be a long new decade, maybe longer, for the 14th to send serious competition to state.

The bolded made me literally laugh out loud(football).
Anyway, I don't believe Perry will fade like Knott Co did(1 championship in almost 20 years). Perry has been success every year as a school. Although they haven't won region since 04, they've been in position to the last three years, but let the opportunity slip away. Perry County is the prime destination in the region, and they will always get the best transfers. Also Perry Central has the largest enrollment in the region, so just on that, they will contend for a regional title, year in and year out.

jackbenimble Wrote:Stay home.
Might not, it's just an awful venue to have a regional tournament at.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong with your figures.

These are from the latest enrollment reports (2010) turned in to the KHSAA for grades 9 through 12 (and Breathitt is 9 through 12, not the top 3 grades as you stated. No schools in the 14th region are 10-12 Actually, not many in the state are anymore either).

Estill County- 729
Powell county-721
Knott Central- 692
Breathitt County- 671

Perry Central has 1000 students, Letcher Central 951. Estill rankes 3rd in the region and Powell is 4th. Knott and Breathitt are 5th and 6th.

Here they are for all the 14th region schools per KHSAA:

1. Perry Central-1000
2. Letcher Central- 951
3. Estill County- 729
4. Powell County- 721
5. Knott Central- 692
6. Breathitt County- 671
7. Leslie County- 546
8. Wolfe County-412
9. Lee County- 330
10. Hazard-293
11. Owsley County- 269
12. Jenkins- 201
13. Buckhorn- 199
14. Jackson City- 113
15. Cordia- 102
16. Riverside Christian- 48
17. June Buchanan- 37

Sorry, you are incorrect. You are using 2010 figures. Knott has well over 700 students, I go to school there. I was told this. I know. Breathitt is a 10-12 school, look on their school website and wikipedia page. 10-12. Their middle school goes through 9th grade now. They allegedly did this to retain their AA class in football.

Half of KHSAA's stadium capacity limits are also incorrect, so I would also question the validity of the information. Sad, too, seeing as they should have that info correct.
Aslan Wrote:The bolded made me literally laugh out loud(football).
Anyway, I don't believe Perry will fade like Knott Co did(1 championship in almost 20 years). Perry has been success every year as a school. Although they haven't won region since 04, they've been in position to the last three years, but let the opportunity slip away. Perry County is the prime destination in the region, and they will always get the best transfers. Also Perry Central has the largest enrollment in the region, so just on that, they will contend for a regional title, year in and year out.

Might not, it's just an awful venue to have a regional tournament at.

Lol I should have put in football. But that is all you have us on. I'm not going to get in a debate on who has the most successful schools, but in terms of overall success and all-around success, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which two schools are the most well-rounded. I'll message you some figures, but I'll post one on here just because I found this out the other day at a pep rally. KCC's speech team has won region 21 out of the 36 years they have been a school, and Carr Creek and Hindman won before that. Quite an accomplishment.

As for the 14th region tournament... I'm excited to see how it goes. Not as predictable as some may think... same goes for the girls.
Speech ain't a sport PATS Big Grin
The only spots cared about around here are:
Basketball - Since Perry has become a school they have obviously been more successful than Knott.
Football - I don't remember Knott being good in recent memory. Maybe they was good in the 90s, I don't know. Perry's not been great, but we still get around 7 wins a year.
Baseball - Both have been good, but I don't really keep up with baseball to tell you any specifics.

I'm not trying to start anything either, just my opinion. And IMO Hatcher is the better coach of the two. I understand Hatcher has had talent as well, of course he has. But look who Al has had. Bowling, Combs, Shepperd, Whitaker, Warren, Jones, and so on. Hatcher's first year at Perry they won what, 12 games? And made it to the finals. Look at this years team. Nobody expected them to win 20 some games and be the best team in the region come tourney time, everyone was picking who? Big Al and Hazard. This is Al's year to really prove what kind of coach he is, so far what has he proved? Not much. That's all I'm saying.

Al has had a great career, I'm not knocking that. He's a hall of famer. My point is I believe Hatcher is the better coach of the two and has done a lot with lesser talent in his years that I've been following him. Back to wait I said earlier, this is big Al's year to see what kind of coach he is. He's got the talent to win the region, but it doesn't look like he's going to.

ekff Wrote:Agree... I'm from Hazard, I've played, coached, and loved Hazard my whole life But I'll be the first to tell you that Hatcher is a great coach.... Hatcher, and Holland are as different as Night and Day. I've coached under Holland and I've talked to Hatcher and Scouted Hatcher many times. Everyone knocks on Holland because he has always had great players, but there's nothing harder then Coaching a 16, or 17 year old kid who thinks he's the best ever. One thing Holland always does is prepares his team. He can control talent better then anyone. Hatcher on the other hand, I believe he don't need or want Talent. All Hatcher needs is a few hard workers. He teaches kids respect and hard work. And you can tell that the game is Hatcher's life. This Region is very lucky to have two great coaches. And I believe that there are many young coaches in the region who are learning from the two great coaches.

Hatcher has done a lot with less talent. I'd like to see big Al with this years Perry team. I don't think they would have 20 wins or be the favorite to win the region. Just my opinion.

Aslan Wrote:Speech ain't a sport PATS Big Grin
The only spots cared about around here are:
Basketball - Since Perry has become a school they have obviously been more successful than Knott.
Football - I don't remember Knott being good in recent memory. Maybe they was good in the 90s, I don't know. Perry's not been great, but we still get around 7 wins a year.
Baseball - Both have been good, but I don't really keep up with baseball to tell you any specifics.

:Clap:
Ballers Wrote:hahah that has killed me.

Confusedhh: I was just wondering.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7