Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jack Pack out at Prestonsburg (RUMOR)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have heard this is PACK'S last game.....Is there any truth to this?
beaverace102 Wrote:I have heard this is PACK'S last game.....Is there any truth to this?

I've heard the same, but I don't know for sure.
I sure hope this is Pack's last game as the head coach of the Prestonsburg basketball team. There is no doubt that Pack is a quality coach as far as Xs and Os but there is much more to being a good head coach than just Xs and Os. He has run the basketball program into the ground and it really is a shame with the athletes that Prestonsburg High School has.
Irish#1 Wrote:I sure hope this is Pack's last game as the head coach of the Prestonsburg basketball team. There is no doubt that Pack is a quality coach as far as Xs and Os but there is much more to being a good head coach than just Xs and Os. He has run the basketball program into the ground and it really is a shame with the athletes that Prestonsburg High School has.
Jackie Crisp had alot more talent and got 7 or 8 years and acomplished nothing and you think Pack ran the program in the ground? Thats laughable. Pack has been there what 3 years this time around? Sorry but the program was already in the ground when Pack got it back. Hope Pack stays for Prestonsburgs Sake.
I never once said that the program was flourishing under Crisp. The program needed to make a change when Crisp was coach but they went the wrong direction. Six and seven win seasons aren't acceptable for the athletes that Prestonsburg has.
Prestonsburg boys basketball team has underachieved many times, I don't think anyone can doubt that.

The school has some very good basketball players that don't even play basketball. You can go in the gym during school and see some very skilled boys, but they've never played organized basketball and the coaches don't recruit them onto the team like they should. This hasn't always been the case, but over the past 3 years, it has been. There's no reason for Joseph Jamerson to not be playing basketball. He's one of the most athletic kids that have walked through Prestonsburg's hallways in many years. Same went with Steven Patrick, as he didn't get to play until his senior year and now he plays college basketball at ALC. I don't know what Jackie Day was thinking when he was running the basketball program during Steven's first 3 years. He could've become one of the better basketball players in Pburg history if he had gotten to play earlier in his career.

I think the administration needs to go out and get someone who wants that program to succeed and get some actual kids that are talented basketball players on the court. We can't have 4 or 5 decent players and put them on the same team with 5 or 6 kids that are on the team just because of their parents.
I agree with BlackcatAlum 100 percent. There's no reason for an athlete like Joseph Jamerson to not be playing basketball. Same thing goes for Tyler Hall from last years team. They didn't play because they were tired of trying to be persuaded in a battle against the football program. Yes, Prestonsburg is a football school and yes, that will always be their main emphasis at PHS but that doesn't mean they can't have a successful basketball team. Prestonsburg needs to have a basketball coach that understands that's the way it's going to be and it's nothing against him. They need to have a coach that takes advantage of the athletes and what they do in the off-season as far as conditioning and weight training. They need someone that wants to be a successful basketball coach and see the team succeed because they want to see Prestonsburg High School succeed.
Billnz28 Wrote:Jackie Crisp had alot more talent and got 7 or 8 years and acomplished nothing and you think Pack ran the program in the ground? Thats laughable. Pack has been there what 3 years this time around? Sorry but the program was already in the ground when Pack got it back. Hope Pack stays for Prestonsburgs Sake.
How can you say he accomplished nothing ?
He won 2 dist. tournaments
He won a Conf. championship
Made 3 straight region semi's
Went to the region 6 of the last 7 yrs.
Improved win total each yr. from 99-04

It doesn't matter to me who coaches them, but Coach Crisp had a pretty nice run and left a dist. winning team when he was forced out by a few. The program was not in the ground.

If Pack wants to stay then let him stay but don't say Coach Crisp didn't accomplish anything because you don't personally like him.
Sounds to me like the Irish is a very loyal football player from the John and James school of destroying Basketball to make Pack look bad.They all know he is a quality coach that would be highly successful there if their antics against Basketball were stopped.
Yeah I think Dunbar is totally right. The DeRossetts are just totally out to get Pack aren't they? I bet you know the whole situation from both sides of it, don't you?

I'm not making this a battle between football and basketball at all because I love Blackcat football and basketball. The Red and Black runs thicker through my veins than just about anyone. Stop this football vs. basketball B.S. because it destroys the school. And the last time I checked the football players are the only players that produce on the basketball court. Would Prestonsburg have even won a game if it hadn't been for Griffith and Williams this year? They probably wouldn't have won a game last year either if it hadn't been for Burchett and Tincher, two football players. You know why? Because they are involved year-around, always conditioning and working to improve their athleticism both on the field and on the court. At least Jackie Day didn't run the best athletes away from the program and at least when teams played Prestonsburg they knew they were going to be in for a battle all night long.

Please inform me of these antics against basketball, I would love to know.
:
Irish#1 Wrote:I sure hope this is Pack's last game as the head coach of the Prestonsburg basketball team. There is no doubt that Pack is a quality coach as far as Xs and Os but there is much more to being a good head coach than just Xs and Os. He has run the basketball program into the ground and it really is a shame with the athletes that Prestonsburg High School has.
:please: Regardless of the current situation , I , for one just hope we get it right .... Very talented group of boys in high school , ( playing or not .. ) .. Coach Howell 's grade school team just won 31 games this year .. ( school record ) ... Obviously , theres good talent there , so I say administrators , sit down , take a deep breath and get it right ....:thanks:
Irish#1 Wrote:Yeah I think Dunbar is totally right. The DeRossetts are just totally out to get Pack aren't they? I bet you know the whole situation from both sides of it, don't you?

I'm not making this a battle between football and basketball at all because I love Blackcat football and basketball. The Red and Black runs thicker through my veins than just about anyone. Stop this football vs. basketball B.S. because it destroys the school. And the last time I checked the football players are the only players that produce on the basketball court. Would Prestonsburg have even won a game if it hadn't been for Griffith and Williams this year? They probably wouldn't have won a game last year either if it hadn't been for Burchett and Tincher, two football players. You know why? Because they are involved year-around, always conditioning and working to improve their athleticism both on the field and on the court. At least Jackie Day didn't run the best athletes away from the program and at least when teams played Prestonsburg they knew they were going to be in for a battle all night long.

Please inform me of these antics against basketball, I would love to know.
:Clap::notworthy:Thumbs:
Good thing Pack had Tackett,Patrick,and Stumbo the first year he took over for Crisp and if I remember Stumbo and Patrick didn't get on the court their junior year,and did they play football,can't remember.Also the reason they won what they did this year was because of Bentley and Warren Blackburn don't believe they played football either.Bryson Williams is a great athlete why isn't he considered a basketball player playing football.If fact Bryson is the best athlete that has been at PHS since John Ortega.
Here's when I learned all I need to know about Coach Pack.

As baseball coach last year in the district tournament, one of our pitchers had a very rough outing. Just not this kid's day. When Coach Pack went out to make a move and go to the bullpen, he was heard by most people surrounding the field to say to this kid, "You are making me look like an idiot!"

Good, bad, right, or wrong...that's what you get with him.

As far as Bryson goes...you are right. Incredible athlete. I agree that he may be the most talented all around athlete since Ortega, but consider this: Bryson played AAU basketball with Betsy Layne. Played Little League Baseball at HAP. Maybe you should ask him WHY he decided to come to Prestonsburg instead of Betsy Layne, and that will answer your question about whether he is a basketball player playing football or a football player playing basketball.
Yes it is a good thing Pack had those players the first year he was the coach. Those were very good players considering the lack of playing time they had earlier in their career.

And as far as the reason they won this year, how can you say Blackburn? He only played half of the year. Bentley is a heck of an athlete I'm not going to deny that. Bryson is a heck of an athlete as well and has a lot of potential to be something special, especially if he gets a basketball coach that will develop him instead of try to possess him in a power struggle.

I don't see how one can defend a coach, as far as how successful he is, when the coach has had a record of 50-116 in his last 6 seasons, dating back to the girls team he coached.

I would expect an educated and professional person to be able to punctuate a little better, by the way.
congrats sf thats a good win...as for the coach pack thing im going to have to go with irish on this one
IMO from what I have seen in the past Pack has never had the best attitude, and has been known for running great athletes and good ball players away from Blackcat Basketball. I believe that Pburg needs to get someone in there that will care as much for the Basketball program as the DeRossetts care for the football program. Pburg could easily have a great basketball team in the 15th region. They just need a coach that can keep the players happy and get the best talent the school has with out running them off.
i mean prestonsburg probly has the most athletes in a AA school in the state but half of them just wont play basketball because of pack and the same thing happins for coach john and the football team alot of the kids wont play cause john is made out to be a bad guy but i can say to the kids who are told bad things about him he is not a bad man he is a good coach. and dunbar, stumbo, patrick, and tackett they were basketball players some kids arent football players that dont mean they cant play basketball but you are also forgetting some players on the team like gearhart, burchett, tincher, hall, and setser who i do beleive were all football players and if i do remember right setser won the first game of region by himself!
Just to verify a few thing about Bryson Williams. He played Little League at Hap because if you know the rules you have to play where you live. The AAU team he played on was not from Betsy Layne. The coach was from Pike County and the team was made up of 4 kids from Floyd County, 2 from Johnson County and 3 from Pike County. As far as him being a football or Basketball player. His dad played football at UK and also was given a baseball scholarship at UK and coaches college football and his mothers side comes from a long line of basketball players. His uncle coached at Garrett for years and his grandfather was one of the best in his day. His cousin was Wes Samons who played at PHS.

At one time PHS basketball was one of the best in the reg. The year of 97 and 98 coach Pack had a team that had won AAU tournaments all over the state, but he couldn't take the same team and go the state. You have to know how to get the best out of your players and yelling and humilitating them is not always the way.

The one thing you can say about Coach Pack, he sure has handed Dewey Jamerson a good track team last year and should be good this year.

I have known the Derosetts for several years and I have never heard them discourage a football player from playing basketball. They come to over half the basketball games and support the boys. I have yet to see Coach Pack at a football game. The last time I checked PHS is a small school and the athletes have to be shared. It only keeps a kid in shape if he stays active all year round.
Prestonsburg has the athletes thats for sure. But they have no discipline. They would of had a chance to beat us if every good player they had didnt make absolutely horrible decisions, I like pack and think he is a good coach. But he needs to establise discipline in his program.
Coach Pack hit the run jack! Pburg is in need of change. IMO It'll start with a new coach
campbell Wrote:Just to verify a few thing about Bryson Williams. He played Little League at Hap because if you know the rules you have to play where you live. The AAU team he played on was not from Betsy Layne. The coach was from Pike County and the team was made up of 4 kids from Floyd County, 2 from Johnson County and 3 from Pike County. As far as him being a football or Basketball player. His dad played football at UK and also was given a baseball scholarship at UK and coaches college football and his mothers side comes from a long line of basketball players. His uncle coached at Garrett for years and his grandfather was one of the best in his day. His cousin was Wes Samons who played at PHS.

At one time PHS basketball was one of the best in the reg. The year of 97 and 98 coach Pack had a team that had won AAU tournaments all over the state, but he couldn't take the same team and go the state. You have to know how to get the best out of your players and yelling and humilitating them is not always the way.

The one thing you can say about Coach Pack, he sure has handed Dewey Jamerson a good track team last year and should be good this year.

I have known the Derosetts for several years and I have never heard them discourage a football player from playing basketball. They come to over half the basketball games and support the boys. I have yet to see Coach Pack at a football game. The last time I checked PHS is a small school and the athletes have to be shared. It only keeps a kid in shape if he stays active all year round.

Id say JR Vanhoose, Todd Tackett along with Bill Mike Runyon and the rest of the Paintsville TIgers had a little bit to do with why Prestonsburg didnt make it to state that year since they did make it to the finals of the sweet 16 and had went about 5 years in a row or something like that. Just sayin
If Pack is indeed gone, I say go for someone like JR Vanhoose.

He'd be a breath of fresh air for the program and for the school.
To say that Williams is the best since John Ortega is foolish at this point. He might end up being the best since Ortega but it's too early to tell. He is talented and smooth but I don't think he's nearly as athletic as Matt Slone, Joey Willis, Nick Jamerson, Jesse Chaffin, Joe Blackburn, Brandon Peters, Michael Burchett, etc.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Prestonsburg boys basketball team has underachieved many times, I don't think anyone can doubt that.

The school has some very good basketball players that don't even play basketball. You can go in the gym during school and see some very skilled boys, but they've never played organized basketball and the coaches don't recruit them onto the team like they should. This hasn't always been the case, but over the past 3 years, it has been. There's no reason for Joseph Jamerson to not be playing basketball. He's one of the most athletic kids that have walked through Prestonsburg's hallways in many years. Same went with Steven Patrick, as he didn't get to play until his senior year and now he plays college basketball at ALC. I don't know what Jackie Day was thinking when he was running the basketball program during Steven's first 3 years. He could've become one of the better basketball players in Pburg history if he had gotten to play earlier in his career.

I think the administration needs to go out and get someone who wants that program to succeed and get some actual kids that are talented basketball players on the court. We can't have 4 or 5 decent players and put them on the same team with 5 or 6 kids that are on the team just because of their parents.

Agree. No offense to the basketball team, but you could put a team together from the kids not playing at the school who could beat the current team. I say unless you could get a J R Vanhoose to give Jamie Howell a shot.
Officer.Farva Wrote:IMO from what I have seen in the past Pack has never had the best attitude, and has been known for running great athletes and good ball players away from Blackcat Basketball. I believe that Pburg needs to get someone in there that will care as much for the Basketball program as the DeRossetts care for the football program. Pburg could easily have a great basketball team in the 15th region. They just need a coach that can keep the players happy and get the best talent the school has with out running them off.

Amen to that.:Thumbs:
Prestonsburg needs a coach who knows how to teach basketball. Seems like all there coaches think players in the 7th grade and up should know everything there is to know about basketball. You can not practice 5 or 6 players and expect to compete with teams who teach and practice all players, if you do the fans of PHS can tell you what happens.
Also coaches need to earn the respect of there players instead of demanding it. To have a team, they must bond into a group of friends. This was never done, the players did a great job of supporting each other although they were never encouraged to become friends or do anything together.
There is talent on the team, they just need a coach who can teach and bring them together as a TEAM.
bball Wrote:Prestonsburg needs a coach who knows how to teach basketball. Seems like all there coaches think players in the 7th grade and up should know everything there is to know about basketball. You can not practice 5 or 6 players and expect to compete with teams who teach and practice all players, if you do the fans of PHS can tell you what happens.
Also coaches need to earn the respect of there players instead of demanding it. To have a team, they must bond into a group of friends. This was never done, the players did a great job of supporting each other although they were never encouraged to become friends or do anything together.
There is talent on the team, they just need a coach who can teach and bring them together as a TEAM.

Amen to this!

I also think the new basketball coach needs to work with John Derossett and the football program, because the football coaching staff cares about the basketball program, if they didn't then they wouldn't be at each game supporting them.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Amen to this!

I also think the new basketball coach needs to work with John Derossett and the football program, because the football coaching staff cares about the basketball program, if they didn't then they wouldn't be at each game supporting them.
YES!!
All sports teams should support each other. I have never seen coach Pack at any games except basketball and baseball. Most of the time i wonder why he is there. Be proud of YOUR SCHOOL TEAMS.
One thing for sure , we don't need Jamie Howell as a coach. The only thing he knows about basketball, is the ball is round. If it wasn't for Holiday He wouldn't know how to find the gym. His basketball career was spent in the mascot uniform. His wife is a much better coach than he is.
Pages: 1 2