Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whats the Best Type of Defense!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What Defense is the best played in High School.

Well I love to see a team get up in the face of the team they are playing. But I also love to see ateam that can trap play a trapping zone. So what does everyone think.
this is a tough one because there are many things that determine what u play....

although i would have to say think that a full court man run and jump is the best... if you have got the players that can play it....
Who cares offense is more important.
Must have the coach that can teach the run and jump also. D in high school depends on the kids you have so the coach must be able yo adapt and teach. Any D with 100% effort at all times can be effective. I personally like teams that can play several defenses, changing out of timeouts and dead balls. Run and jump is the most complex if done right.
It depends on the team, but generally I like man to man. As far as what I have seen that is effective, a 1-3-1 full/half court trap and full court press are difficult to see once a year and have great success against them.
1-2-1-1 full court press with alot of traps and forced turnovers.
I personly like playing 1-3-1 or a 1-2-2-1 press but i also like full court man run and jump
Diamond and 1 press trap is good
1-2-1-1 man to man full court press, lots of traps, run and jump when needed.
For this to work you have to have a quick team that pays close attention to where the ball is headed and are able to switch back into their location or relocation as soon as it is needed. If not, the offense can quickly make a long pass to the man near the basketball and it could be a fairly easy shot because one defender, if that many is there.
you got to see what offense the opponet is in to make a good decision on which d you need for it.. personally 2-3 is great for slow(er) players or against an offense that is based on driving.. man works great with a speed team as well.. keys are to not get beat, get your hands up, call screens, know the player, and play with intensity.
Against a bad shooting team, a 2-3 zone, play a 2-3 til they can shoot you out of it, but if they are not a good shooting team then you really don't have much to worry about.

Against a good shooting team, man to man defense or a box and 1, that alwasy worked for us when I played.
2-2-1 zone
2-3
It depends on the team you are playing and what offense they are coming at you with can make you change your D, I like man to man
"bestfanever" Wrote:I personly like playing 1-3-1 or a 1-2-2-1 press but i also like full court man run and jump

I've seen some teams play like they were in a 1-2-2-1 press, but thats alot of kids out there at one time. lol:rules:
"JMac" Wrote:I've seen some teams play like they were in a 1-2-2-1 press, but thats alot of kids out there at one time. lol:rules:

It happened against us this year, we were playing in a tourney, dodnt remember what team it was but they played on poss, with 6 on the floor and what was sad about it, the officals did not even see it, out coach had to basically run out onto the floor to get the officals attention.
That's happened before when I played basketball. I swear from that point on Coach counted the number of players that came out of the huddle.
I have seen the 1-2-2-1 on the court before, but also have seen a 1-2-1 setup... I think that is just a mis-communication between players and coaches. I dont think they would do it for any other reason.
1-3-1 zone
full court man 2 man
I dont think anyone can be on here and say what the best defense is. Your defense should be based on the team you play. What is great for one team will get you killed by another. You have to take in account what your players can do compaired to the players that you are going to play against.
"bestfanever" Wrote:I personly like playing 1-3-1 or a 1-2-2-1 press but i also like full court man run and jump

Hold up what is a 1-2-2-1 you can only play 5 players a time pimp