Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Laurel / South Laurel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Havent heard much about either one of these teams. Dont get over the mountain enough. Whats going on with them? Any news? Players to watch? or coaching changes?
Both had horrible year, it amazes me that South kept there coach. 0-10 will not be any better
I talked to Coach Larkey a few weeks ago and he said NL was working hard on weights to get stronger and tougher and said he lacked a lot of depth and experience this upcoming year. He said thay lack a lot of athletes for how big the school is. I saw the Harlan Co and Corbin game, he has an uphill battle to win with his players from what I see.
I heard through the grapevine that South Laurel will be much improved with a revamped offense and defense and some new blood. Time will tell...:popcorn:
All the coaches are staying on at SL from what I hear they are working hard in the weightroom and looking forward to spring practice. People are saying that there will be some shuffling around of coaching responsibilities on the current staff. South should have a winning season in 2011.
SLHSCard Wrote:All the coaches are staying on at SL from what I hear they are working hard in the weightroom and looking forward to spring practice. People are saying that there will be some shuffling around of coaching responsibilities on the current staff. South should have a winning season in 2011.

I wish you were right SOOOOOOOOOO tired of losing. But I have come to face the facts without a coaching change we will continue to a joke and the administration don't seem to care. We have the kids just look on the basketball team, but somebody needs to tell those kids to play football because they are not going to the NBA but could really help the football program. It has been ashame that the stands are so empty and people are not coming out but when you go 0-10 and 1-9 and don't make a change any school spirit is hard to keep.
I, for one, believe change is coming. Don't look for the same old thing on either side of the ball, or the same people calling the shots. Of course, everything is a rumor until it is proven.
I have also heard the same thing. From what I hear SL will be rockin. But we will see in a few weeks from now..
I hear several kids that played last year won't be playing this year
who's coming and who's leaving? I know for a fact that all the coaches are still coaching as of now.
redstorm Wrote:Both had horrible year, it amazes me that South kept there coach. 0-10 will not be any better

Talking about our Coach? I said the same thing two years ago and got called out by you and others. Time to go. Any truth to a lot of our 8th graders going to Corbin? I hear that one is already gone.
redstorm Wrote:Both had horrible year, it amazes me that South kept there coach. 0-10 will not be any better

For NL sake I will say they did play a hard schedule. I saw them play Corbin 3-0 at half and Harlan Co. They played in perhaps the toughest dist in 5A, plus Corbin. If NL had the horses some of these teams have then I am sure they would have been better. By the way, when has NL ever been good?
Well for SL sake they have to quit giving up so many points. plus it seems per khsaa they need to score more. They average like 20 points a game, which is enough but not with the d they have. They need to average in the 30's to do some damage, it seems. But i dont know if that run dominant offense can do it.
South used to average near 40 a game and still couldn't win. The defense has gotten better since the TFS was scrapped at SL. This year they were just were young with 7 sophomores starting while playing Clay, Corbin, Pulaski, SW, Middlesboro and Knox Central none of which had losing records, Alot of these young guys are taking beatings this year in basketball and football but they will get better. I probably follow SL sports closer than anyone on here and next year will be better. SL threw the ball 215 times and rushed 300 times last year. They were anything but run dominant.
Not trying to be a smarta$$ but are these programs relatively new? That would explain the poor records. But anyway, the only way from here is up.... I would hope...:thatsfunn
That is actually a pretty good point. Guess a quick look at qb stats threw me off. I looked at the stats a little more in depth and I see alot of passes for not a lot of success.I see a 40 percent completion rate 86/215. It looks like if you take the clay game out its 63/176 which is 35 percent completion rate. Understanding Clay has the worst pass defense ever, known fact. lol I just hope this upcoming year that team will be able to get a little better completion rate. It seems like their QB's need more work, and it looks like their passing game coordination needs a little more attention. Just an observation. I am not knocking anyone.
former Wrote:For NL sake I will say they did play a hard schedule. I saw them play Corbin 3-0 at half and Harlan Co. They played in perhaps the toughest dist in 5A, plus Corbin. If NL had the horses some of these teams have then I am sure they would have been better. By the way, when has NL ever been good?

If memory serves, North Laurel had some respectable teams when Greg Duncum was the head coach.

Not world-beaters, mind you, but respectable. Better than .500, I think.

To be fair to them both they had tough schedules.
SL was playing alot of 10th graders last season.

NL has won 9 ball games in 2 years and that is the most wins they have accumulated in a two year span since 2002-2003 when they also won 9 games in two years. So that is 7-8 years of getting the program to what was its highest.

SL didnt have a QB, they had a really good TB who had to play QB. They will be better.

Since the merger there have been only 2 really good teams from both schools and that was the 1994 NL Jags who won district in a tough 4A division and 1999 SL who almost won the region.

These arent traditional powerhouse schools or even close to it.
BeReal Wrote:Not trying to be a smarta$$ but are these programs relatively new? That would explain the poor records. But anyway, the only way from here is up.... I would hope...:thatsfunn

They are almost 20 years old.
Mountain Coach Wrote:They need to average in the 30's to do some damage, it seems. But i dont know if that run dominant offense can do it.

:thatsfunn

Harlan Co ran the ball over 650 times and threw the ball about 30 this year and averaged more than 35 pts a game. Also won a bunch to.:Cheerlead
With all due respect, we aren't talking about Harlan County. Everyone knows they are going to line up and try to run over you. They are quite good at it. More power to them.

This thread is about NL & SL.

I feel like SL might be headed in the right direction based on some prospective changes that may be forthcoming.

It's pretty simple. Score more points than you give up on a weekly basis. This is going to require a major overhaul on both sides of the football for SL.
former Wrote:For NL sake I will say they did play a hard schedule. I saw them play Corbin 3-0 at half and Harlan Co. They played in perhaps the toughest dist in 5A, plus Corbin. If NL had the horses some of these teams have then I am sure they would have been better. By the way, when has NL ever been good?

8-12 over the past two years at NL is not bad considering what they had been doing the past 10-12 years. Lot of work going on now with the young kids that will eventually build a winning program.
Gitback Coach Wrote:If memory serves, North Laurel had some respectable teams when Greg Duncum was the head coach.

Not world-beaters, mind you, but respectable. Better than .500, I think.

Accodring to KHSAA

NL with Greg Duncum
2001 4-6
2002 3-7
2003 6-5
2004 6-5

total 17-23

I was checking out coaches winning percentages at their present schools and was shocked that Coach Black @ Whitley is below 500%

Also though Duncan should have had a better winning% than he did at NL

Looks like the rookie coach at Perry Central may have the best winning % at his present school among these 5A schools in the area
Don't even know why I am on this thread, other than I heard about some changes coming @ SL... Anyway, why do you folks think the football sucks so bad in Laurel County? Curious to hear your feedback.

Is it:

1. Coaching
2. Lack of athletes
3. Both
4. Lack of School support
5. Lack of Community support
6. Other (please elaborate)

:popcorn:
Tom Larkey 27-11 at 5A Harlan County. A little over 71 percent. Haddix 7-4. Not bad, but under 70 percent. Who's counting though?
I am pretty sure there won't be any changes coming to SL. I have only heard one rumor about a new coach coming if one of the current guys decides to quit, but none of the shot callers on the SL staff are going anywhere. It would have already happened if it was going to.
Well, guess we will see. I just know if I went 0-10 my staff would suffer the consequences. The head coach cant do it all, and coach every position. I have heard the Lynch Mob is after Welch,So I am guessing the current staff is starting to divide and the wheels are falling off. Its a shame that both laurel county schools cant get something going. I say combine North and South and you have monster. Keep em seperated and they will always be mediocre.
OffensiveGuru Wrote:Don't even know why I am on this thread, other than I heard about some changes coming @ SL... Anyway, why do you folks think the football sucks so bad in Laurel County? Curious to hear your feedback.

Is it:

1. Coaching
2. Lack of athletes
3. Both
4. Lack of School support
5. Lack of Community support
6. Other (please elaborate)

:popcorn:

I am thinking some of option 1, Some of option 4 sinse basketball is there and number 5. Cause everyone knows MOST not ALL Laurel county natives are always in a pissing contest over about anything. Kind off like around here.
I would say if Coach Welch is sticking around, he better hire an OC and also revamp that pathetic defense ASAP! The clock is ticking until Spring Practice and you don't want to go into July without having a new plan/people in place if that is what you are going to do. He who waits loses. :flush:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7