Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyd Co. 2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any thoughts on what they will have next season?
Nothing it's a terrible program. I heard they are playing some really weak teams so if they don't win a few this year it can't be done. It's a shame what that program has turned into
Boyd County would be considered a very young team in 2011, following a year of being a very, very young team. They return a group of Juniors who played nearly every minute of every game last year and struggled against much more experienced teams. They are striving to be competitive as they mature and they're in a solid district.
The program itself isn't 'Terrible', it's rebuilding in many ways from the ground up. Things should get progressively better for Boyd County, too. The football playing Sophomore class is a large group, the Freshman class is larger, and the 8th Grade class is the biggest of them all, and the 7th Grade class is pretty big, too. Each of these classes will contribute quickly because of the feeder program built through BCJFL and the Middle School.
I'm not sure what the schedule is, but I do know that there's no good reason to make 2-3 trips to Pikeville every year when you can play other teams that can help prepare you for the playoffs.
In 2011, I believe you'll see a team improving that will surprise some critics of 'the program'. Every program has struggling years, and I believe this will be the year BC will start to put that string of disappointing seasons to rest with an effort to achieve now rather than later. Just one guys opinion.
As a rule I try to keep from saying negative things about coaches as they have alot on them, but Boyd County has a team that does not know how to tackle, block, throw, catch, or run. This is where coaching comes in. The Lions have not made any adjustments to who they play. They run the same offense every game no matter if it was Ashland or Lawrence County. Their Defense is even more lack luster since these boys were never tought to tackle. When I played arm tackles were forbidden, but if they would at least do that now it would be something. Their problem is not the players, that only leaves coaching.
Always_A_Lion Wrote:As a rule I try to keep from saying negative things about coaches as they have alot on them, but Boyd County has a team that does not know how to tackle, block, throw, catch, or run. This is where coaching comes in. The Lions have not made any adjustments to who they play. They run the same offense every game no matter if it was Ashland or Lawrence County. Their Defense is even more lack luster since these boys were never tought to tackle. When I played arm tackles were forbidden, but if they would at least do that now it would be something. Their problem is not the players, that only leaves coaching.
Guess you can toss that rule out the window. Boyd has been no different than Greenup the past several seasons. Lack of talent. I don't care what you think you saw. Lack of talent. Maybe 3 or 4 skill players a season, that's it. No real solid line play. I watched them and thought back to when I was a boy when Boyd was a school to be reckoned with and it's very simple, not as talented. So, maybe you should start coaching all these techniques that you perfected at the middle school level and get yourself in the game.
OU812 Wrote:Guess you can toss that rule out the window. Boyd has been no different than Greenup the past several seasons. Lack of talent. I don't care what you think you saw. Lack of talent. Maybe 3 or 4 skill players a season, that's it. No real solid line play. I watched them and thought back to when I was a boy when Boyd was a school to be reckoned with and it's very simple, not as talented. So, maybe you should start coaching all these techniques that you perfected at the middle school level and get yourself in the game.

With a school that size. The talent has to be there. But there hasn't been the right coach in that system to bring it out. If Raceland with 30-40 kids each year can compete with the larger schools in the area. And beat them most of the time. Then Boyd Co with 5 times the population should be able to come up with 40 talented players with the right coaching staff. And win 70% of the games. You can't tell me that Boyd Co doesn't have 30-40 good ball players. Get the right coach in there and let him stay awhile!! We play Ashland, Russell, Greenup Co, E and W Carters and win most of them. Why can't a 4A school compete. No excuses. It's crazy. :HitWall:
I must agree with Ram its not lack of talent. A coach must bring excitement into the program again and get the kids off those stinking x-boxes. Boyd has the talent just need something to get the program fired up again. When your a 4a school with a 1a football team things are going to get ugly just need to get the numbers up.
Just keep in mind they do have Ashland and Johnson Central in the district. Could be tough.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:With a school that size. The talent has to be there. But there hasn't been the right coach in that system to bring it out. If Raceland with 30-40 kids each year can compete with the larger schools in the area. And beat them most of the time. Then Boyd Co with 5 times the population should be able to come up with 40 talented players with the right coaching staff. And win 70% of the games. You can't tell me that Boyd Co doesn't have 30-40 good ball players. Get the right coach in there and let him stay awhile!! We play Ashland, Russell, Greenup Co, E and W Carters and win most of them. Why can't a 4A school compete. No excuses. It's crazy. :HitWall:
You cant expect BC to live up to the huge success that Raceland has had year in and year out. :worthy:All those regionial and state championships that the Rams have won. Oh wait a minute, thats right they dont have any.
Here we go again with Raceland tooting their horn like they won something. Please!!!! I fully understand the whole "there should be tons of talent" routine. Trust me, when you support Greenup County athletics, it's no different. But let me enlighten my neighboring Ram fans. When you have a school the size of Boyd or Greenup, sometimes you get sports that don't communicate, or at the least, don't want players playing multiple sports. Look at Greenup and Boyd in baseball. (that's the white ball with red laces that Raceland knows nothing about by the way) Those programs have succeeded to the detriment of the football programs at both schools. If you look over the past years and could have taken the highly talented baseball kids and put them on both football teams, you'd have success at a far higher rate. I understand that now we live in an era where you can play one sport and basically play year-round. Perhaps that is also an issue. But to lay it all at the feet of the coach is ludicrous. Raceland has an advantage in that they don't have soccer, they don't have any other sports where they are routinely competitive (see basketball). So they have the benefit of basically putting all their eggs in one basket. I'm sure there are athletes at Boyd who simply don't play, and I'm not sure once you inherit a culture of losing how you'll persuade kids to come out and play. While I think the coach can play a role, he can't run his own bus route to go pick them up for practice.
Kosar Wrote:You cant expect BC to live up to the huge success that Raceland has had year in and year out. :worthy:All those regionial and state championships that the Rams have won. Oh wait a minute, thats right they dont have any.

Don't think I said Raceland had won anything. It's about Boyd Co. The Rams do win about 65% of the games they play. And most years go two and three games in the playoffs. Whats the percent of games the lions win each year. Way under fifty percent I bet. The Rams play a very tough schedule each and every year for the size of school they are. The Rams have won appx. 25 district championships. And they wen't decades ago. What has Boyd Co done the past quarter cent.? Not much.. Anyway this isn't about what the Rams have done or not. This is a lion team. Maybe you can come up with some kind of excuse on why the lions can't compete. Why can't they be as good as Ashland, Russell, Lawrence Co ect ect.
Boyd has no excuse when it comes to resources for winning. You have to install it into the mind set of the players and that all comes from the coaches. You can only be as good as you are coached and so far that's not too good. Boyd has plenty of kids to choose from usually, so what's the problem?????
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Don't think I said Raceland had won anything. It's about Boyd Co. The Rams do win about 65% of the games they play. And most years go two and three games in the playoffs. Whats the percent of games the lions win each year. Way under fifty percent I bet. The Rams play a very tough schedule each and every year for the size of school they are. The Rams have won appx. 25 district championships. And they wen't decades ago. What has Boyd Co done the past quarter cent.? Not much.. Anyway this isn't about what the Rams have done or not. This is a lion team. Maybe you can come up with some kind of excuse on why the lions can't compete. Why can't they be as good as Ashland, Russell, Lawrence Co ect ect.
You are delusional. You start with "It's about Boyd Co." and just like your other post, you rattle off at the mouth about Raceland. Overrated.

Yes, Boyd should be better. Are they coached well? I don't know, but to lay it all at the guys feet when I can see with my own eyes that they don't have outstanding talent, well maybe I'm not as learned as you geniuses but you can't with without the horses. And their stable is empty, or at least it was.
OU812 Wrote:You are delusional. You start with "It's about Boyd Co." and just like your other post, you rattle off at the mouth about Raceland. Overrated.

Yes, Boyd should be better. Are they coached well? I don't know, but to lay it all at the guys feet when I can see with my own eyes that they don't have outstanding talent, well maybe I'm not as learned as you geniuses but you can't with without the horses. And their stable is empty, or at least it was.

With a school that size. The horses are in the stables. Someone has to figure out how to get them out of the stables. And on the field. They should have 75 dressed all the time.
OU812 Wrote:Here we go again with Raceland tooting their horn like they won something. Please!!!! I fully understand the whole "there should be tons of talent" routine. Trust me, when you support Greenup County athletics, it's no different. But let me enlighten my neighboring Ram fans. When you have a school the size of Boyd or Greenup, sometimes you get sports that don't communicate, or at the least, don't want players playing multiple sports. Look at Greenup and Boyd in baseball. (that's the white ball with red laces that Raceland knows nothing about by the way) Those programs have succeeded to the detriment of the football programs at both schools. If you look over the past years and could have taken the highly talented baseball kids and put them on both football teams, you'd have success at a far higher rate. I understand that now we live in an era where you can play one sport and basically play year-round. Perhaps that is also an issue. But to lay it all at the feet of the coach is ludicrous. Raceland has an advantage in that they don't have soccer, they don't have any other sports where they are routinely competitive (see basketball). So they have the benefit of basically putting all their eggs in one basket. I'm sure there are athletes at Boyd who simply don't play, and I'm not sure once you inherit a culture of losing how you'll persuade kids to come out and play. While I think the coach can play a role, he can't run his own bus route to go pick them up for practice.

If you took all the boys from Ashland, Greenup Co, Boyd Co and just let those kids play one sport each they would still have more kids to choose from. How come Johnson Central and a lot of other large schools compete but not Boyd and Greenup. There are plently of large schools that do well in all sports. Boyd has even bottomed out in basketball. But maybe now that they have a COACH they will turn it back around. I for one hope the lions have a great year. It's good for northeastern ky football. I'm not a Boyd Co hater. My kid was a high school cheerleader at BC. I loved the football in the 70's with Tom Scott. I loved the basketball with Thornsberry and Roger Zornes in the 70's, 80s and early 90's. I loved the baseball at BC in the 90s. Just want someone to come in and take over. Stay awhile. Build a program. Schedule down for a couple years in non district games like Lawrence Co did. Now they are back to where they should be. It's not the kids fault football has faded for years in Boyd Co. It's the organization from the bottom up. Schoolboard, parents ect.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:If you took all the boys from Ashland, Greenup Co, Boyd Co and just let those kids play one sport each they would still have more kids to choose from. How come Johnson Central and a lot of other large schools compete but not Boyd and Greenup. There are plently of large schools that do well in all sports. Boyd has even bottomed out in basketball. But maybe now that they have a COACH they will turn it back around. I for one hope the lions have a great year. It's good for northeastern ky football. I'm not a Boyd Co hater. My kid was a high school cheerleader at BC. I loved the football in the 70's with Tom Scott. I loved the basketball with Thornsberry and Roger Zornes in the 70's, 80s and early 90's. I loved the baseball at BC in the 90s. Just want someone to come in and take over. Stay awhile. Build a program. Schedule down for a couple years in non district games like Lawrence Co did. Now they are back to where they should be. It's not the kids fault football has faded for years in Boyd Co. It's the organization from the bottom up. Schoolboard, parents ect.
Your the one who(like always) brought Raceland into the BC thread. Johnson Central was terrible until recently and Lawrence had a rough 5 yrs or so, its a whole different ballgame in 4 and 5a than a 1a school where football is king. All the county schools struggle from time to time. Just keep spouting off Raceland jibberish on every thread you post and expect all of us to keep calling you out on it.
Kosar Wrote:Your the one who(like always) brought Raceland into the BC thread. Johnson Central was terrible until recently and Lawrence had a rough 5 yrs or so, its a whole different ballgame in 4 and 5a than a 1a school where football is king. All the county schools struggle from time to time. Just keep spouting off Raceland jibberish on every thread you post and expect all of us to keep calling you out on it.

Excuses!
Boyd hasn't been down for four or five years. When was the last time they had a winning season? Not .500. When was the last time they had two winning seasons in a row? They been in the :flush: for decades. Not a few years like Lawrence Co. Johnson Central is not that old of a school. Unlike Boyd. Boyd was big when JC wasn't around!
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Excuses!
Boyd hasn't been down for four or five years. When was the last time they had a winning season? Not .500. When was the last time they had two winning seasons in a row? They been in the :flush: for decades. Not a few years like Lawrence Co. Johnson Central is not that old of a school. Unlike Boyd. Boyd was big when JC wasn't around!

Boyd Counties last winning season was in 2008 7-5 2005 5-5 2004 6-6 2002 8-4 2000 7-4 Boyd record from 2000 thru 2010 is 55-70 for a winning % of 44% . Wish the Lions good luck this season!!!!!!!!
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Excuses!
Johnson Central has been around for over 40 years. Your spaceship is leaving, they're waiting for you to board.
Raceland fans are jokes anyhow they think everyone should kiss their butts
OU812 Wrote:Johnson Central has been around for over 40 years. Your spaceship is leaving, they're waiting for you to board.

exactly!
grim_reminder Wrote:I must agree with Ram its not lack of talent. A coach must bring excitement into the program again and get the kids off those stinking x-boxes. Boyd has the talent just need something to get the program fired up again. When your a 4a school with a 1a football team things are going to get ugly just need to get the numbers up.

I agree but hard to get excited about County football, look at the facilities, run down and unattractive and the lack of wining makes it hard for people to get excited about playing.
I believe that you can track the downfall of the BC football program to the start of the soccer program. That has ruined many big time football programs. Example: Clark County back in the early 90's won the state championship. The next year soccer began at their school and they went 0-10.
dozerdawg707 Wrote:I believe that you can track the downfall of the BC football program to the start of the soccer program. That has ruined many big time football programs. Example: Clark County back in the early 90's won the state championship. The next year soccer began at their school and they went 0-10.
Agree 100% !!!!!!!!
dozerdawg707 Wrote:I believe that you can track the downfall of the BC football program to the start of the soccer program. That has ruined many big time football programs. Example: Clark County back in the early 90's won the state championship. The next year soccer began at their school and they went 0-10.

But doesn't teams in our area have soccer and still have very good football programs. What about Russell and Ashland. Out of our area that I know has soccer and won a state championship two seasons ago and has made it to the finals many time is Lexington Christian. What about Boyle Co. Do they have soccer. Johnson Central, do they have soccer? I assume they do. If so how do they keep coming up with these very good teams? Just asking. Not trying to start trouble!! Trying to get opions.
There are teams that can make it work if the programs work together. I don't believe JC has soccer, if they do have soccer the real athletes have chosen to play football not futbol. I am sure there are some schools out there that do both very well at the state level. Soccer is a nice alternative program when there are enough kids to do both at a high level. Does Raceland have a high level soccer program?
dozerdawg707 Wrote:There are teams that can make it work if the programs work together. I don't believe JC has soccer, if they do have soccer the real athletes have chosen to play football not futbol. I am sure there are some schools out there that do both very well at the state level. Soccer is a nice alternative program when there are enough kids to do both at a high level. Does Raceland have a high level soccer program?

No we don't have a soccer team. I think we only have about 325 kids 7-12 grade levels. Could be alittle more. Sure would love to have a soccer style kicker on the team! We had one a few years back. He went to Ohio St. Last I heard he was with Cincinnati I believe.
Ok, now take your qb, top 4 running backs and a couple receivers away and see how much your program goes down. That is just 6 or 7 kids and a soccer team takes 10-20 skilled athletes to field a competitive team. Remember lineman don't play soccer it is your skill players that you lose.
I wasn't trying to get everybody fighting, I was just pointing out that since the current coach took over he has lost twice as many games as he's won. Boyd County's defence is the worst in school history. I will also point out that while last season our talent was all but nonexistant, we have had plenty of talent with our current coach. Zach Wilson, Justin Selby, Tyler Arthur, Ryan Crisp, well the list goes on, but you get the point. Coach Evans has had the Biggest team up front and some of the faster skill players that the Lions have had since the 80's and still only managed 6-6 as his best season. He's had plenty of talent with little results.
As for soccer... not a fan of it myself, but if thats what the kids want to play these days then it's their time not ours.
Pages: 1 2