Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 5A Region 4 District 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its never to early to talk football and i thought id get the discussion going.
This district has usually had 2 or 3 clear favorites the last few years and now that its a 4 team district i think its wide open next year. I would have liked to have seen one of the laurel county schools be in this district to make it a little more competitive.

Harlan County has to be the early favorite.
Perry returns some talent but their tough schedule could hurt more than it will help.
Letcher county was so disappointing last year that one would have to expect they will have a breakout year.
Whitley probably lost the most of all the teams and would have to be the mystery team of the district.

This district has been close the last few years.
Last year...
1. Harlan County
2. Clay County (moved to 4A)
3. Whitley County
4. Perry County Central
5. Letcher County
6. North Laurel (moved to district 7)

1. Letcher County
2. Whitley County
3. Harlan County
4. Perry County Central

1. Whitley County
2. Letcher County
3. Clay County
4. Perry County Central

Lots of parity among these teams still in this district over the past few years and all have had great success. Just when it looks like a team might take it, something blows up.
Whitley wasnt even on the radar in 2008 and only lost to Bell Co. and Highlands who were both state champions.
In 2009 many picked Whitley to repeat but got knocked off by Letcher who took district.
And last year Harlan Co.'s success was remarkable and came out of nowhere making it all the way to the state semis.

Another good point about this district is that it has OWNED district 7 in the first round every year. Pulaski Co. is the only team who has been competitive with this district in the first round.

Whats everyone else think?
Alot of skill players at Perry Central....Coach Hadixx will have them ready to go. The tough schedule will help this team come district time. My picks are:
1. Perry Central
2. Harlan
3. Letcher Central
4. Whitley
Whitley will compete.Harlan should be the favorite,but I honestly believe the other three spots are a toss up.
Perry's schedule can't hurt them IMO
Sure they will be lucky to get to .500
But they have an automatic playoff bid and the 3 District games are the only thing that matters in the seeding.
They could go 3-7 and win the district lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Perry's schedule can't hurt them IMO
Sure they will be lucky to get to .500
But they have an automatic playoff bid and the 3 District games are the only thing that matters in the seeding.
They could go 3-7 and win the district lol

As well as everyone else in the district.
Heck, a team could go 2-8 and win the district with a tiebreaker lol
For the record I hate 4 teams districts I agree one of the laurel county teams should have been in our district. I think they should have put South in for the two years and then put North back and rotate them. As for the district who expected Harlan County to play like the did every year it is a toss up on how high school teams will play and you just don't know what will happen!
Having said that I believe Harlan County is the favorite, we lost a lot on defense but hopefully we have some boys ready to step up.
Could be an interesting district
Do they all have their schedules done yet?Would like to see what everyones looks like.
Harlan County

Week 0 at Morristown East, TN
Week 1 Dunbar at Lafayette
Week 2 at Gate City, VA (2010 state champs)
Week 3 Open
Week 4 Lee High (VA)
Week 5 Knox
Week 6 at George Rogers Clark
Week 7 Letcher
Week 8 at Whitley
Week 9 Perry
Week 10 at Bell
Here's Perry Central's schedule:

Week 0 Prestonsburg H Teco Bowl
Week 1 Johnson Central A
Week 2 Knox @clay Appalachia Bowl
Week 3 Lawrence H
Week 4 Sheldon Clark A
Week 5 Rockcastle H
Week 6 Open
Week 7 Whitley H
Week 8 Letcher A
Week 9 Harlan A
Week 10 Somerset H
I know Whitley has
@Perry
Harlan
Boyle- not sure if home or away yet
Bell Co.
Letcher Co.
@Rockcastle
Lynn Camp
Im still workin on the other ones.
By far the toughest schedule in the district.
Thanks everyone.I am ready for spring practice to start now!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I know Whitley has
@Perry
Harlan
Bell Co.
Letcher Co.
@Rockcastle
Lynn Camp

Pretty sure you can add Somerset to that schedule as well.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Pretty sure you can add Somerset to that schedule as well.

Ive heard that rumor but work has been keeping me to busy to get around the program the last month.
How much of a chance do you think there is to that one Jumper?
I would think we will go to somerset this year if we do play, especially if the boyle game is at home since we have bell and LC at home and rock on the road.
Im excited to see who else we get on the schedule. Coach lack hasnt shyed away from competition which IMO makes him a very good coach for the players with exposure and for the school.
we lost Lec Cath and Belfry this year. Those were good games the last couple of years. I would think he will try to schedule North Laurel as well but im not sure what he has in mind at this point. Im hoping to get someone out of district 7, maybe even a southwestern or pulaski. Best part of playing any 3 of the Pulaski County teams would be location for both. Fans on both sides should be able to make the easy hour and 15 minute drive.
We had the dream game and great gate of playing Corbin but couldnt agree on scheduling, corbin wanted us to only play them in the pigskin classic and whitley wanted a home/away contract.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Pretty sure you can add Somerset to that schedule as well.

Believe Russell Co. is in the schedule also!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I know Whitley has
@Perry
Harlan
Bell Co.
Letcher Co.
@Rockcastle
Lynn Camp

How can you say BY FAR toughest schedule in the district? You have the two BC's but other than that it looks like small schools, LC and somerset and Russell Co is no major upgrade.

Perry has a pretty good run for toughest overall and Harlan Co as well.

Each of them have tough or just as tough as WC.
Comparisions of Schedules

HC - PC - WC

Bell - JC - Bell = Even

GRC - Rock - Rock = Edge HC

Knox - Knox - Russell Co = Edge HC/PC

Gate City - Somerset - Somerset = Edge HC (Somerset lost a ton, so TBA)

Lee - Sheldon Clark - Lynn Camp = Edge PC

Dunbar - Lawrence - Boyle = Edge WC

ME, TN - P-burg - ??? = Edge HC

Botomm line all teams except Letcher have tough as nails schedules with some greta matchups and no one can say one is really any better than the other. I tried to match the teams up above based on comparaitive stregnths.
I think PCC will shock everyone.
False Hope Wrote:I think PCC will shock everyone.

Your name is "False Hope"....
So I'm going to act like I didn't hear that lol
I thought Letcher Central was 4A. They have middle of the pack 4A numbers.
Gummie Bear Wrote:Comparisions of Schedules

HC - PC - WC

Bell - JC - Bell = Even

GRC - Rock - Rock = Edge HC

Knox - Knox - Russell Co = Edge HC/PC

Gate City - Somerset - Somerset = Edge HC (Somerset lost a ton, so TBA)

Lee - Sheldon Clark - Lynn Camp = Edge PC

Dunbar - Lawrence - Boyle = Edge WC

ME, TN - P-burg - ??? = Edge HC

Botomm line all teams except Letcher have tough as nails schedules with some greta matchups and no one can say one is really any better than the other. I tried to match the teams up above based on comparaitive stregnths.
Letcher has a good schedule maybe not the toughest but no pushovers
Breathitt 8-5 lost by 3 to Somerset in the playoffs will have almost all their
team back and will be a very good team beat Sheldon Clark last season
Lawrence County 9-3 will be very good beat Rockcastle by 20 last year
Franklin County 7-4 last year solid team
Russell County 7-5 last year lost to state runner up Allen Scottsville 2 times
Somerset and Pulaskia
Montgomery County 6-5
Madison Central (6a) replaced South Laurel on the schedule
Harlan County
Whitley County
Perry Central
No they don't have Bell,Johnson Central or Boyle but they have a pretty good schedule, games were difficult to schedule due to the reclassifications
Gummie Bear Wrote:How can you say BY FAR toughest schedule in the district? You have the two BC's but other than that it looks like small schools, LC and somerset and Russell Co is no major upgrade.

Perry has a pretty good run for toughest overall and Harlan Co as well.

Each of them have tough or just as tough as WC.

Because in my opinion it is. Whitley has had the toughest schedule in this district ever since the realignment took place. I don t know where the russell county thing is coming from. Im pretty sure he meant that one for somerset or someone else.
Somerset has been consistently ranked at the top of the 3A standing all year long for the last few years.
I dont like playing Lynn camp, i think its a waste of time and a game where we have everything to lose and nothing to gain. its played because the two are close in proximity and they have played every year since 1965 i believe. I knew a few years ago it was the second longest running game between two schools in ky, it may be first now im not sure.
Bell and Boyle are both great pick ups for Whitley but i wouldnt assume Whitley will be playing russell or somerset until its final.
zaga_fan Wrote:Your name is "False Hope"....
So I'm going to act like I didn't hear that lol

I hope hes right, i mean about the name:biggrin:
Benchwarmer Wrote:I thought Letcher Central was 4A. They have middle of the pack 4A numbers.

Nope they have been 5A every since it went to 6 classes a few years back.
They could have been 4A. Chose to play up to 5 A this time.
Yogibear Wrote:They could have been 4A. Chose to play up to 5 A this time.

Smart move by them as well.
The 4A east is tougher than all of 5A put together.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Because in my opinion it is. Whitley has had the toughest schedule in this district ever since the realignment took place. I don t know where the russell county thing is coming from. Im pretty sure he meant that one for somerset or someone else.
Somerset has been consistently ranked at the top of the 3A standing all year long for the last few years.
I dont like playing Lynn camp, i think its a waste of time and a game where we have everything to lose and nothing to gain. its played because the two are close in proximity and they have played every year since 1965 i believe. I knew a few years ago it was the second longest running game between two schools in ky, it may be first now im not sure.
Bell and Boyle are both great pick ups for Whitley but i wouldnt assume Whitley will be playing russell or somerset until its final.

I'm sure you will see Whitley is playing Russell Co. and Clay to finish up the schedule. Whitley has played LC since mid 80's when Coach Campbell took over. They may have played before that but the series died for a little while. There are MANY running series in KY over 50 years. Williamsburg and Pineville have played since 1946.
Between the four teams in this district, I see four very talented teams. Harlan county will be the favorite to take the district with perry taking the 2nd seed. Whitley and letcher will have to battle for the 3rd n 4th seed. With all four teams adding some better competition to their schedule, you may see a few upsets take place.
footballfever Wrote:I'm sure you will see Whitley is playing Russell Co. and Clay to finish up the schedule. Whitley has played LC since mid 80's when Coach Campbell took over. They may have played before that but the series died for a little while. There are MANY running series in KY over 50 years. Williamsburg and Pineville have played since 1946.

Campbell took over in 89. It started LONG before that. Lynn Camp hasnt beaten Whitley at home since 1965. Trust me when i say its the second longest running game between two schools in KY, if not the first now.
Every single year on the radio before the game Dave, the radio announcer and broadcaster who has been covering Whitley for over twenty years on the radio, brings up how its the second longest game. By that, i mean they have played each other every single year for that amount of time. While playing at Whitley back in the early 00s it was brought up several times that i heard directly.
Whitley has had a football program since 1963. I assume the two started playing that year or the next because i know for a fact the last time they beat Whitley at home was in 65.
I also know that the Wburg-Pinville game couldnt have ran that long. That might be the first time they played but it had to have stopped at some point and restarted.
And yes you are correct ive heard Clay will be on the schedule which is a good pick up for Whitley but until it came out on khsaa i didnt want to put it here. As for the russell game, it could happen, but even if it does, it could be a smart move by black picking up an easier game.
Pages: 1 2