Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should Highlands be content just winning in 2011?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should Highlands be content to just win each week in 2011? I for one think it's time to start putting 60+ on the board every week to put more doubts in opponents minds. Ala the 1998-2000 years. Of course, the running clock is a hindrance to the beat downs of days gone by.
Why? What does this prove? Beating someone 60+ just to beat them 60+ doesn't make since.

Once the game is in hand, let some of your backups get some PT.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Should Highlands be content to just win each week in 2011? I for one think it's time to start putting 60+ on the board every week to put more doubts in opponents minds. Ala the 1998-2000 years. Of course, the running clock is a hindrance to the beat downs of days gone by.
I'm with you! I miss the beatdowns. The running clock is a shameful rule that makes it impossible for younger players to get the PT they deserve. We pay for a ticket to watch a full game only to get cheated just to save the fellings of a lousy team. Give me a break! I say, kick that bunch of losers in the backside again and again, it will teach them a good lesson. To all of you that are going to jump on me and have a hissy fit, I say get a life! This is football! OK, let the tears flow, and the snot roll! :lmao::popcorn:
Why even start a thread like this and put unwanted pressure on the players, players parents, coaches, and everyone involved in the program there? Why not just take one day at a time and let that be good enough? As history has proven Highlands will handle their buisness on the field!
Not only does putting up a ton of points quickly and getting the game to an early running clock situation lead to feelings of anger and resentment among other teams (which then leads to difficulties with filling out a schedule), but it's also detrimental to the team running up the score.

Players need to get accustomed to playing an entire game, and not a game shortened by a running clock in the second quarter. Also, an early running clock robs the winning team's back-up players of the opportunity to get meaningful playing minutes in preparation for a time when they will be the starters in the future.

In KY, successful teams (especially the teams in the larger football classes) tend to be teams with some depth. You don't develop depth at the high school level by playing in a bunch of shortened, blowout games, IMO.
I'm just glad some of you posters are not coaches at Highlands. I don't pay much attention to a few knuckleheads going overboard for their teams but, you guys take the cake. Running up the score is the fastest way to ruin your schools reputation. No one would want to play you even the good teams. I agree with everything Jbwill2 said. It's nice to know most of Highlands supporters are not crazy. I have a lot of respect for the program and young men that play there.
jbwill2 Wrote:Not only does putting up a ton of points quickly and getting the game to an early running clock situation lead to feelings of anger and resentment among other teams (which then leads to difficulties with filling out a schedule), but it's also detrimental to the team running up the score.

Players need to get accustomed to playing an entire game, and not a game shortened by a running clock in the second quarter. Also, an early running clock robs the winning team's back-up players of the opportunity to get meaningful playing minutes in preparation for a time when they will be the starters in the future.

In KY, successful teams (especially the teams in the larger football classes) tend to be teams with some depth. You don't develop depth at the high school level by playing in a bunch of shortened, blowout games, IMO.

All true JB, but in addition just what does beating someone by 60 plus points prove? That you are a much better team and like embarrassing other teams.

Yeah it's football 2dog. But football and sportsmanship are not mutually exclusive. At least it shouldn't be at the high school level.

And with theads like this one, I can understand why some people think that some Highlands fans are horses' rear-ends. It seems some Highlands fans think it's cute to try and rile people up. Childish in my opinion. Totally childish.

wideleft, I have to ask: did you play football at Highlands and if so, when? Don't come back with it's none of my business. You've decided to enter this site and make repeated arrogant posts, so have the nads to truthfully answer my questions. Having played at Highlands and having been extremely close to the program for many decades, I know that Highlands players were taught to have class, which is why I sincerely wonder if you played there. It's ironic that I read posts from supporters of our opponents as to how classy our players were in games, yet we have posters (sadly, some of whom are adults) that lack that same class.
I played in the 80's. I agree that at Highlands football does the talking and it probably is childish to say I want the score rung up. However, my allegiances still run deep and I enjoy when Highlands crushes good teams(not the bad teams). When people take shots at Highlands I remind them Highlands isn't going anywhere and is the dominant team for the forseeable future. It's an opinion board and sometimes I express my opinion and it doesn't jive with others. I don't apologize for my opinion. Same opinions I express on the other board. Though I prefer this forum overall.

I think it's important in football to put doubts in the opponents minds. Too many of these boards everybody wants to be buddy-buddy. Give everyone a ribbon mentality. My opinion is don't let them off the mat so to speak. I still think I try to express my opinion respectfully. I'll agree that doing that can be worked on.
Cry me a river! Back in the 60's and 70's the we were told not to have any mercy on pathetic losers. Those who played back then know what I'm talking about. It's only fare that if a running clock is used, a fan should get part of their money back. What's this crap with a program not listing the height and weight of the players! How much money has been lost over that stupid nonsense. How much more of this limp wristed garbage will it take to destroy the game completely! Sad, very sad! For those that have a problem with football the way it was ment to be played, may I suggest you go to a nice ballet or play on friday nights.:popcorn:
Wideleft01 Wrote:I played in the 80's. I agree that at Highlands football does the talking and it probably is childish to say I want the score rung up. However, my allegiances still run deep and I enjoy when Highlands crushes good teams(not the bad teams). When people take shots at Highlands I remind them Highlands isn't going anywhere and is the dominant team for the forseeable future. It's an opinion board and sometimes I express my opinion and it doesn't jive with others. I don't apologize for my opinion. Same opinions I express on the other board. Though I prefer this forum overall.

I think it's important in football to put doubts in the opponents minds. Too many of these boards everybody wants to be buddy-buddy. Give everyone a ribbon mentality. My opinion is don't let them off the mat so to speak. I still think I try to express my opinion respectfully. I'll agree that doing that can be worked on.
You gave up to easily Wide! I was just starting to have some fun!:biggrin:
Those who exalt themselves shall be humbled. Highlands and it's fans are treading on thin ice with threads like these.....:dontthink
2dog Wrote:You gave up to easily Wide! I was just starting to have some fun!:biggrin:

Grow up. No way you played back in the 60s/70s. Rice, Hauck, Murph or who ever was your coach would have kicked your tail for acting in such a childish manner. They raised players to be men; not adolescents getting their kicks trying to irritate people and making Highlands football look bad in the process.
Wideleft01 Wrote:I played in the 80's. I agree that at Highlands football does the talking and it probably is childish to say I want the score rung up. However, my allegiances still run deep and I enjoy when Highlands crushes good teams(not the bad teams). When people take shots at Highlands I remind them Highlands isn't going anywhere and is the dominant team for the forseeable future. It's an opinion board and sometimes I express my opinion and it doesn't jive with others. I don't apologize for my opinion. Same opinions I express on the other board. Though I prefer this forum overall.

You can call it being buddy-buddy if you like. I just prefer calling it class. Let the fans of the other programs talk their trash and we let our players handle what matters.

And trust me, with Highlands tradition, in spite of what some people say, there is doubt in most opponents' minds already without us needing to beat schools by 60 or 70 points. Furthermore, when you think about it, if we need for the opponent to have doubts in order for us to beat them, we mustn't be that good any way.

Maybe I have a hang up. I like being respected. I want Highlands football to be respected. I want the players to be respected. I want the Highlands fans to be respected. I want people throughout the state to say not only is Highlands football the best in the state, their coaches, players and fans are the classiest in the state. I take immense pride in the program. And when a Highlands fan comes on here and talks trash just to jerk fans of other programs chains, I think that makes the program, the other Highlands fans and Ft. Thomas look bad.
Do I need to make another "case in point" Charlie, or should this thread suffice?
adopted purple Wrote:I'm just glad some of you posters are not coaches at Highlands. I don't pay much attention to a few knuckleheads going overboard for their teams but, you guys take the cake. Running up the score is the fastest way to ruin your schools reputation. No one would want to play you even the good teams. I agree with everything Jbwill2 said. It's nice to know most of Highlands supporters are not crazy. I have a lot of respect for the program and young men that play there.

:popcorn: So do you not know HHS history? And these guy's did not take the cake, the ATE IT! (another inside shot)
Stardust Wrote::popcorn: So do you not know HHS history? And these guy's did not take the cake, the ATE IT! (another inside shot)

No, but I'm a fast learner. I've had to delete several posts from other threads.
adopted purple Wrote:No, but I'm a fast learner. I've had to delete several posts from other threads.

There was no need to delete the posts you are talking about. It is obvious you do not care for Highlands and any time their name is mentioned in a post, you feel the need to delete. I thought there was some good sports discussions going on in the posts "you" decided you did not like. You made it clear before you became a moderator that you did not like Highlands and now as a moderator you abuse your power to delete good discussions.
adopted purple Wrote:No, but I'm a fast learner. I've had to delete several posts from other threads.

Lol, it's a fun group of fans to debate with.
[quote=charlie22]Grow up. No way you played back in the 60s/70s. Rice, Hauck, Murph or who ever was your coach would have kicked your tail for acting in such a childish manner. They raised players to be men; not adolescents getting their kicks trying to irritate people and making Highlands football look bad in the process.[/QUOTE Don't tell me I wasn't there because I was. That's the way it was! You are the guy that wasn't there or you would know better. Why don't you ask others who were really there before you pop off by name calling. As a matter of fact, it was a lot worse at times! I just decided not to tell the whole story because some wouldn't be able to handle it. Every team that won did the same, not just HHS. What I have said is all fact! May I suggest that if a person can't take it, maybe that person is the true child.
2dog Wrote:[quote=charlie22]Grow up. No way you played back in the 60s/70s. Rice, Hauck, Murph or who ever was your coach would have kicked your tail for acting in such a childish manner. They raised players to be men; not adolescents getting their kicks trying to irritate people and making Highlands football look bad in the process.[/QUOTE Don't tell me I wasn't there because I was. That's the way it was! You are the guy that wasn't there or you would know better. Why don't you ask others who were really there before you pop off by name calling. As a matter of fact, it was a lot worse at times! I just decided not to tell the whole story because some wouldn't be able to handle it. Every team that won did the same, not just HHS. What I have said is all fact! May I suggest that if a person can't take it, maybe that person is the true child.

Still showing class I see. You're what, 60 years old and telling folks Highlands should try to humiliate kids and run up the score. Sad. Just sad. No, I think you are the one being childish. In the twenty seasons of the 60s and 70s (which accounted for more than 240 games), we had 12 games we scored 60 points or more, so let's not make it like we scored 60 points in every game or even regularly scored that many points. In a lot of those games, it was the JVs that ended up scoring a fair number of points.

Didn't tell the whole story because people couldn't handle it? Please. Show some class. Unfortunately as a Highlands fan you still represent Highlands.

And by the way, I was there in the 70's. We won state my senior year year and I made first team all state, all classes. How about you?
Bob Seger Wrote:Do I need to make another "case in point" Charlie, or should this thread suffice?

Hey, I've never denied that we have some fans that are on the wrong end of a horse. Unfortunately we do. The question for you is: do you want to become the equivalent for JC? I hope not.
charlie22 Wrote:Hey, I've never denied that we have some fans that are on the wrong end of a horse. Unfortunately we do. The question for you is: do you want to become the equivalent for JC? I hope not.

You cant be serious!! There is nothing different than what you are stressing to some of these arrogant knuckleheads than what I am stressing to the same bunch. I am probably a little (OK, a lot) more blunt about it than you are, but that's just me, I dont meally mouth around about it. I am in no way arrogant about what I say about JC, as I am only to the defense of JC in these discussions. I defy you to find one single post where I have instigated either an arrogant boast or tried to belittle anything about the Highland's progarm. That Chuck is something you will never find. It's your nutty fans that I respond to. I may be plain spoken, and while you may not care much for my tone, the fact remains that there is a huge difference in what I do and what you are implying. I advocate defense, strictly defense.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Should Highlands be content to just win each week in 2011? I for one think it's time to start putting 60+ on the board every week to put more doubts in opponents minds. Ala the 1998-2000 years. Of course, the running clock is a hindrance to the beat downs of days gone by.
If you truly believe the words you speak in this post, then you are so far wideleft that you are out of the Stadium behind a bus and far from the goal line. You deserve to be behind or in support of a team with 11 players going both ways. The Highlands teams I have seen, appear to be far from what you suggest. They appear to be a class act and not without class.

wow this has to be the stupidest thread ive ever seen created on here.
I agree that id like to see teams show no mercy. If i was a highlands fan i would want beat downs every single week. However, lets see how your beat downs are going when towles gets hurt in the 4th qtr in the last game of the regular season when highlands is up by 40 and you get knocked out in the playoffs because of it.
Really just a ridiculous remark and thread. Dont make the rest of the highlands fans and posters look as ignorant. there are many highlands fans who are very respectable and great fans. Quit making them look bad with your boneheaded remarks.

dont forget that highlands is in a much tougher class next year. your setting yourself up for some really bad crow eating.
im not saying they wont win, but oh the joys many posters will have with you if they do lose.
We used to have a saying....."Don't dance in the endzone because you want people to believe that you've been there before."

Sounds like most of these guys haven't been there before.
charlie22 Wrote:You can call it being buddy-buddy if you like. I just prefer calling it class. Let the fans of the other programs talk their trash and we let our players handle what matters.

And trust me, with Highlands tradition, in spite of what some people say, there is doubt in most opponents' minds already without us needing to beat schools by 60 or 70 points. Furthermore, when you think about it, if we need for the opponent to have doubts in order for us to beat them, we mustn't be that good any way.

Maybe I have a hang up. I like being respected. I want Highlands football to be respected. I want the players to be respected. I want the Highlands fans to be respected. I want people throughout the state to say not only is Highlands football the best in the state, their coaches, players and fans are the classiest in the state. I take immense pride in the program. And when a Highlands fan comes on here and talks trash just to jerk fans of other programs chains, I think that makes the program, the other Highlands fans and Ft. Thomas look bad.

:Thumbs: I used to think he was just a flamer, but after this post, I think he's serious about the junk he says. You put it in a good perspective, and I'd hope most HHS fans would feel as you.
charlie22 Wrote:[quote=2dog]

Still showing class I see. You're what, 60 years old and telling folks Highlands should try to humiliate kids and run up the score. Sad. Just sad. No, I think you are the one being childish. In the twenty seasons of the 60s and 70s (which accounted for more than 240 games), we had 12 games we scored 60 points or more, so let's not make it like we scored 60 points in every game or even regularly scored that many points. In a lot of those games, it was the JVs that ended up scoring a fair number of points.

Didn't tell the whole story because people couldn't handle it? Please. Show some class. Unfortunately as a Highlands fan you still represent Highlands.

And by the way, I was there in the 70's. We won state my senior year year and I made first team all state, all classes. How about you?

Another :Thumbs: Sounds like school is in session for some of you Highlands fans, and Charlie is the teacher. Learn.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Those who exalt themselves shall be humbled. Highlands and it's fans are treading on thin ice with threads like these.....:dontthink

And this from a predictor of a 70 point spread in 2010.....:biggrin:
adopted purple Wrote:I'm just glad some of you posters are not coaches at Highlands. I don't pay much attention to a few knuckleheads going overboard for their teams but, you guys take the cake. Running up the score is the fastest way to ruin your schools reputation. No one would want to play you even the good teams. I agree with everything Jbwill2 said. It's nice to know most of Highlands supporters are not crazy. I have a lot of respect for the program and young men that play there.

I agree with JBWill too. Geezle Peetz, did the poster who started this thread not have his coffee or 5 hour energy for the past month??

I suspect that other than the Pendleton and Harrison County games on Highlands schedule this fall which will likely be a running clock, the other games should be good ones. Starting a thread like this one is silly.
charlie22 Wrote:[quote=2dog]

If you deny hearing the same thing I did,then you are simply lying! I really thought I was talking to a women, sorry about that, my mistake. :biggrin:
Pages: 1 2