Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mississippi 71 - (11) Kentucky 69
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Man, tough loss for the Cats.
MVP2 Wrote:Man, tough loss for the Cats.

We shouldn't have been in that situation, but Warren made a **** of a shot.
HawksRule Wrote:Blaming refs on some of them calls is plausible.

Blaming the refs for a game is just making excuses.

The most frustrating thing with the Cats is that in 4 of their 5 losses, they were playing teams much inferior in talent. UCONN is the only team that may have been more talented, though I'm not sure of that. C'mon Cal, coach these guys to play 40 minutes of basketball, and get them focused on the road!!!
Warren makes and incredible shot, and Miller passes up a wide open three with 5 second to go....to dribble to the free throw line and kicking it 30 feet from the basket to Liggins with 1 second to go.
This is one of those games that we pretty much deserved to lose.

Credit Ole Miss.

You can't take teams like this lightly, they have nothing much to play for and have been pushed around all season long and then they get due 1 great game, and they pretty much used it against Kentucky.

They were tougher than us, and deserves to win this game the old fashioned way.
We simply played to the level of our competition. Ole Miss isn't very good at all, but UK decided they were going to run and ended up turning the ball over more times than getting a fast break bucket. Ole Miss just screened for Warren (much like UCONN for Walker) and he got open looks and either made the jumper or dished it off to an open man.

I do think SEC refs are just flat out pathetically inconsistent during games. I don't think that's why we lost, we lost because of poor decision making and Ole Miss couldn't miss.

Why is it that on the road every team shoots lights out against us?!?!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:We simply played to the level of our competition. Ole Miss isn't very good at all, but UK decided they were going to run and ended up turning the ball over more times than getting a fast break bucket. Ole Miss just screened for Warren (much like UCONN for Walker) and he got open looks and either made the jumper or dished it off to an open man.

I do think SEC refs are just flat out pathetically inconsistent during games. I don't think that's why we lost, we lost because of poor decision making and Ole Miss couldn't miss.

Why is it that on the road every team shoots lights out against us?!?!

Because the refs are inconsistent????:biggrin:

I've heard a lot on here that "ole Miss Shot the Lights out" or "they couldn't miss". So did UK at times. But Ole Miss did not shoot the lights out consistently. The biggest concession that anyone who watched this gave has to make is, Ole Miss made shots when it counted the most (during their comeback, the takeover in the 2nd half, and the end of the game). UK did not do it when it counted the most!
I thought the Cats got out hustled but when your up one, on the road, have the basketball, needing a basket or a couple of points and timeouts, you should at least get a decent attempt at a shot or some foul shots from the inside. Not now, but at the time I rather a player shoot a 25 footer to beat you than taking it to the basket like they had all night...

The ball screen bothered the Wildcats all night, but I seemed to notice and the game has changed from the time when I played, but when a player can stand at or around the top of the key, make a move from there or around a ball screen and palm, carry or hand on the bottom of the basketball it makes it more difficult to guard....Not making any excuses because most players dribble that way now and Kentucky could or should have guarded the ball screen better....It seemed that Warren couldn't stand out front and dribble without putting his hand on the bottom of the basketball without making a move at all.
Stardust Wrote:Because the refs are inconsistent????:biggrin:

I've heard a lot on here that "ole Miss Shot the Lights out" or "they couldn't miss". So did UK at times. But Ole Miss did not shoot the lights out consistently. The biggest concession that anyone who watched this gave has to make is, Ole Miss made shots when it counted the most (during their comeback, the takeover in the 2nd half, and the end of the game). UK did not do it when it counted the most!

I mean, look at the conference games we've lost. UGA was one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the conference and they shot 34 free throws and hit 30 of them. Alabama was one of the worst 3-point shooting teams and they shot 50% from 3 against us. Ole Miss didn't shoot lights out, but they still shot way above their season averages.

I still think Cal needs implement a zone of some sort, because we cannot handle all these screens.
I think that UK made a very poor decision when they did not double team Warren and make someone else beat you besides him. Also, when Miller has a wide open shot and you're up by 1, take the freaking shot, worse thing that can happen is you miss it, but it gives your team a chance at rebounding the ball.

I was more disappointed in Miller, Liggins and Harrellson tonight than Coach Cal. These upper class men have been on the road and knows what it takes to win on the road, they let themselves down and their team down...
Ole Miss did shoot well SD..
My wrap up of the game..
Darius should have shot the 3 from the wing.. We had a lot of dumb turn overs due to Darius Miller last night..
Warren was hitting everything under the sun. Terrence Jones please stop shooting 3 balls.
Same play at the end of the game, Darius throws it to half court to Jones, only this time Jones hands it off to Lamb.. I woulda called a time out soon as we reached half-court so that way we could have at least set up a small play.
The dagger 3 from Warren made the building shake.. I definitely believe when he hit that 3, the Cats just gave up.
Ballers Wrote:Ole Miss did shoot well SD..
My wrap up of the game..
Darius should have shot the 3 from the wing.. We had a lot of dumb turn overs due to Darius Miller last night..
Warren was hitting everything under the sun. Terrence Jones please stop shooting 3 balls.
Same play at the end of the game, Darius throws it to half court to Jones, only this time Jones hands it off to Lamb.. I woulda called a time out soon as we reached half-court so that way we could have at least set up a small play.
The dagger 3 from Warren made the building shake.. I definitely believe when he hit that 3, the Cats just gave up.
:Thumbs:
wow another horrible loss for the cats.
we will be lucky to get a 10 seed in the tourney if we keep playing like this, heck, if we keep playing like this we might be headed for the NIT.
This season is all but done. Might as well flush it and hope one or two stick around to go with our recruits for next year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:wow another horrible loss for the cats.
we will be lucky to get a 10 seed in the tourney if we keep playing like this, heck, if we keep playing like this we might be headed for the NIT.
This season is all but done. Might as well flush it and hope one or two stick around to go with our recruits for next year.

Your taking it a little too far there Big Grin
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I mean, look at the conference games we've lost. UGA was one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the conference and they shot 34 free throws and hit 30 of them. Alabama was one of the worst 3-point shooting teams and they shot 50% from 3 against us. Ole Miss didn't shoot lights out, but they still shot way above their season averages.

I still think Cal needs implement a zone of some sort, because we cannot handle all these screens.

Amen to that :Thumbs: That is how you stop the ball screen!
UK has disappointed me this year on the road. One of the worst road teams from UK that I have seen in a while. They just can't finish a game. Somebody needs to step up for them!
Aslan Wrote:Your taking it a little too far there Big Grin

lol well im kinda hopin we suck horribly the rest of this year since its obvious we have no chance of winning it all and jones and knight suck the rest of the year so they stay another year and play with next years freshman class. Now that may be a team
Pages: 1 2