Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Transfer rules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure where to post this question, so I will ask it here since it gets most traffic. What is the KY HS rules for a kid who participates in a varsity sport in 7th and/or 8th grade and then transfers to a different school. I have seen recently where a girl played two years of basketball at Beechwood and this year is playing for ND. I have also seen several Cross Country runners run for one school in 7th and 8th and a different school in high school. Wouldn't these students have to sit out a year. I know there are circumstances that would make them eligable to participate without sitting out, but just curious what the rules are.
^ sstack, there is no transfer rule unless the athlete has played at the varsity level. If they have played at the varisty level, then they cannot play at the varsity level for the new school. Transfers is only for varsity sports. An athlete who played varsity at one school can transfer and play at a JV level at another the next year, just not varsity.
It only applies for 9-12. You take a chance when you play a middle school athlete on a varsity squad. They do NOT establish their eligibility in a varsity sport until they are on the high school level. So, yes they can transfer if they are in 7th or 8th grade, but cannot without sitting out a year if they are in 9th grade or higher and play in a varsity contest...unless they have a legit change of address.
Considering this rule and my profession, what about this case.

Let's say that I have a son that is in the 10th grade and plays football for County school A. If end up having to move to county B, can he play his 11th grade year?
Yes. You would be able to prove a legitimate change of address. It would still have to be approved by the KHSAA, but assuming all is in line with the process your son should be deemed eligible to play. The transfer paperwork can be quite lengthy, but the process is for a reason.
Pretty much if you transfer to a new school after entering high school you have to set out a year of sports. In some cases though, thats not always the case, such as a legitimate change of address or whatever it is corbin done back in the day when they were still getting Whitley players:biggrin:
If a student athlete changes school, due to his school failing under state guidelines, and there is no change of address, what is his/her eligibility?
bigboy26 Wrote:It only applies for 9-12. You take a chance when you play a middle school athlete on a varsity squad. They do NOT establish their eligibility in a varsity sport until they are on the high school level. So, yes they can transfer if they are in 7th or 8th grade, but cannot without sitting out a year if they are in 9th grade or higher and play in a varsity contest...unless they have a legit change of address.

:Thumbs:
Bears Boy Wrote:If a student athlete changes school, due to his school failing under state guidelines, and there is no change of address, what is his/her eligibility?

That falls under the "No Child Left Behind" clause and it is my understanding that the child can be free to enroll anywhere, however, this usually happens in urban districts where multiple schools are nearby, ie: Bryan Station student transfers to Tates Creek.
At this juncture I don't recall KHSAA allowing a student to transfer free of penalty due to the inequities of their school's academics. There are MANY transfers that are no good due to a number of reasons. For example, if a student lives outside of the resides of a school but attends that school anyway as a 9th grader and plays varsity sports, they have set their residence to that school and can't decide later to play at the school of the district of which they reside. If that sounds strange I can use two schools purely as an example with ZERO meaning behind it.

EXAMPLE (though not intended to resemble any real transfer that has been attempted): John Doe lives in Boyle Co. but going into 9th grade chooses to attend Danville. He plays an unspecified number of minutes for the soccer team in varsity play. He and his coach disagree on whatever and he decides he wants to attend Boyle Co. He would be ruled ineligible to transfer to Boyle even though he lives in Boyle's district due to establishing his home school as Danville High.

Remember, the rule was created to keep kids from just transferring at the drop of a hat and to HELP eliminate recruiting issues that occur regularly. Now the rule even applies to divorced families. Using the same scenario above Johnny lives with his dad who has court ordered custody. Johnny gets pissed at Danville's coach, decides to move in with mom to attend Boyle. He would be ruled ineligible due to mom NOT have court ordered custody of Johnny. Therefore this would not be a legitimate change of address and ruled ineligible. Does this make sense?
If he never played varsity no big deal, if he did he must move into the district.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Pretty much if you transfer to a new school after entering high school you have to set out a year of sports. In some cases though, thats not always the case, such as a legitimate change of address or whatever it is corbin done back in the day when they were still getting Whitley players:biggrin:

Not true. You only have to sit out Varsity level sports.
Stardust Wrote:Not true. You only have to sit out Varsity level sports.

Isnt that all that matters:biggrin:
True, only applies to any athlete that has played any varsity sport. So if John Doe plays varsity football, but doesn't play varsity basketball it DOES NOT mean he will be eligible for basketball. He will have to sit 365 days from his enrollment date, not based a school year. Forgot to include that.

Moving into the district has no bearing, you can live in a district and attend another school, but could not transfer to the school district you live and and not sit out. You declare your home school based on where you attend your frosh year and play a varsity sport, not where you reside. Using the example I used earlier.