Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Owen County 69 - Shelby County 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
I do not know a time in Kentucky high school history that a school was drained of their talent like Shelby County when they split the school. Whoever designed this made sure the new school was going to have a big advantage.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I do not know a time in Kentucky high school history that a school was drained of their talent like Shelby County when they split the school. Whoever designed this made sure the new school was going to have a big advantage.

Actually, they didn't. The high school lines are the same as the middle school lines, which basically split the county in half. All of the athletic talent has always come from the west side of the county, which is the new schools district. The east side of the county, Shelby East Middle School, has always struggled in sports, especially girls basketball. Last year, all of the starters and most of the players (Freshman, JV, and Varsity) on the boys and girls basketball teams came from Shelby West Middle School. This year Shelby County only has a few girls who played at any level last year, so they have to play 7th and 8th graders. They do have a great coach and the girls work very hard, but the athletic talent is not there, at least not yet. It is very odd but there is a huge difference in the athletic talent from the west side to the east side of the county. All of Shelby County's great players from the past couple of years (Toni Slaughter, Charlotte Marshall, Amanda Green, Heather Axline, Raechelle Gray, Haleigh LeCompte, and Dee Dee Davis) all went to Shelby West Middle School. Even Antonita Slaughter, who went to Christian Academy, went to Shelby West before transferring.
Last year Shelby County had a down year by Shelby Co standards anyway. Record was 14-16 ,Three of the top 4 scorers were Srs.There wasn't a lot of talent to split Collins got the better of the deal but I wouldn't call them a real good team every team they have beat has a losing record. 5 of the wins are against teams with a total of 5 wins.
Sounds like the Westside dominated all sports as every sports team has struggled for Shelby County this year with the volleyball being the most successful with thirteen wins. It takes time not getting use to Shelby County being a state contender in multiple sports.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Sounds like the Westside dominated all sports as every sports team has struggled for Shelby County this year with the volleyball being the most successful with thirteen wins. It takes time not getting use to Shelby County being a state contender in multiple sports.

Yes, the west side has dominated in every sport, but this year Shelby East had a good football team. They even beat Shelby West. It is wierd not seeing Shelby County compete. Hopefully their teams will become more competitive in the next couple of years.
Sally had a great run there at Shelby Co. when in the 8th.Them and Scott Co. had a time with each other.I hope someone will take the time to write a book or something about Shelby Co. highschool and their talented teams from the past.
Bluemoon Wrote:Sally had a great run there at Shelby Co. when in the 8th.Them and Scott Co. had a time with each other.I hope someone will take the time to write a book or something about Shelby Co. highschool and their talented teams from the past.

I loved the rivalry with Scott County. The two teams didn't really like each other but it was always a great game. You used to not be able to get in the gym when Shelby County played Scott County in basketball. Now they don't even play each other.

The 8th region used to be so exciting. It's not the same anymore. Scott County and Bullitt East are gone and Shelby County and Oldham County aren't the same. I really hope that the Shelby and Oldham County schools are able to build their programs up to what they used to be on the boys and girls side.
Im with you all the way on that-and Im in the 14th Region and my Son-in-law is Coach of a team in the 11th Region.But I too loved the games in the 8th.