Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: im gettin into hunting...any suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey every1 i just wanted a few suggestion on how much im gonna need to spend to get into hunting... and what i need to buy... i think im gonna get into modern rifle but im not sure... help please
If your not looking to spend alot of money and you are just going to be rifle hunting around here, invest in a 30-30 Marlin or Winchester. Very popular deer gun and in this area is all the gun you need. However if you have property where you will have the opportunity to get a long shot, say anything over 300 yards or so, look into perhaps a 270 or 7mm. For those calibers I would recommend a bolt action rifle no particular brand but Remington or Winchester have models available fairly cheap at any Wal-Mart. If you have buddies that hunt with different caliber rifles my advice would be to try a few of them out, a major part of your enjoyment with hunting and your accuracy is your comfort level with the weapon your using. I hope I helped some, if you need anything else at all there are several hunters here, just ask away and feel free to PM me with any other questions. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time in the woods.
This is great to hear that another fellow BGR is gonna be in the woods....now if we could get them all in the woods we would be fine MRI lol.....but anyways I also hunt if you need anything feel free to ask
MI pretty much summed it up, it will become easier for you with the more expierience you gain. also try blackpowder hunting. some things may be fairly expensive, but anything to better enjoy your time outdoors is a GREAT investment.
squak hunting is the most fun i think, all u need is a trusty shotgun, u can start with a New-England single shot, it will run you around 85 bucks, make sure u get a full choke barrel on it. then if u like it, move up to a pump or automatic. my fav shotgun is a CZ, my brother owns it. but i am the only on who ever uses it, it stays at my house, and it will out shoot anyother shotgun he owns, but he still likes his brownings.
Kill somthing lol have fun hunting...........
first u will have to get u some camo if you plan on hunting alot and in some cold weather u will need some raven wear it is expensive but in the long run it is worth it. and them u will need a rifle and a 30-30 is alright but a 30-6 is beter if u ask me cause it has some range and it packs a punch if u need any more help just ask
First, find a mentor.
Make sure you attend a hunter's ed. course.
Become very familiar with you weapon while under supervision. Now some might disagree with this, but, my suggestion for a first gun will be something in a .243 caliber. My son and I have taken numerous deer with this caliber and have dropped every deer in their tracks with this caliber. It also has little recoil and they are usually lightweight. However, if $$ is not the problem my suggestion for anyone starting out purchasing firearms for hunting various species and seasons, I recomend Thompson Center Encore. Remember that to be fair to our quarry we need to make sure that we can within reason put our target on the ground with just one well placed shot. Respect the animal.
Learn your species and take advise from respected hunters.
As far as costs go, you could spend as less as $200 and be successful, or you can spend as much as several thousand and not be anymore successful.
Success depends on how much effort you put in, being in great habitat, be in the right place at the right time, and of course luck!
Most of all, to me the best part of hunting is not only getting in touch with my natural instincts at the top of the food chain, but enjoying the friendships and memories that last lifetimes.
Good luck.
look for scrapes and rubs, big wore trails,and ponds there great places to take a deer.
yeah good info
cuase i am the great white american hunter
yea ????
[quote author=HawkNation link=topic=17685.msg153080#msg153080 date=1137881974]
hey every1 i just wanted a few suggestion on how much im gonna need to spend to get into hunting... and what i need to buy... i think im gonna get into modern rifle but im not sure... help please
[/quote]

So your getting into deer hunting.....I think you should buy either a 30-06 or .270 rifle...the .270 rifle will hold up a little further but the 30-06 will have greater knock down power...IMO the 7mm and 300mag is WAY to much gun for deer hunting...the 30-06 or .270 will run you from 300 to 600 dollars depending on the brand...I prefer a remington myself......Deer scents are always a good thing to have...I use code blue and EXCITE you can get both of these at wal-mart and they will cost about 6-7 dollars.....Camoflauge will be your next step...I prefer mossy oak myself but there is alot of differrent choices, realtree and advantage just to name a few....
You will need a pair of boots...I have a pair of georgia boots I wouldnt take anything for...If you prefer to hunt from a treestand then you will need to buy one....u can get them at wal-mart but they are usually kind of flimsy...I have an API myself but any treestand will range from 100-300 dollars....You will also need rifle shells for your gun which range from 15-30 dollars a box for 20 shells....I think I pretty well covered everything if u want anymore info hit me up for it or go to http://www.kyfishandwildlife.com...Happy Hunting!!!
Buy u a good cheap .243 30-06 .270 or a 7mm Thier all good guns. You should be able to buy a cheap used 1 somewhere. Then buy you a orange hat and vest and some bullets and u should ready to go. Good luck and hope u get 1. See u in the woods