•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Bell County?
Yogibear Wrote:I don't understand why everyone thinks it is going to be such an easy walk through 3A. You must not have been at Bowling Green last week. Central is very good. They return most everyone. Paducah Tilman awaits the winner of that game. It would be hard enough to follow Hilton much less follow him in that lion's den.

I got mixed up. I was thinking Bell would play Central in the finals. Bell would have a difficult time with Central, but they could beat them. I agree that it would be tough, though.
Actually the truth can now be told.

You know that building next to the high school they claim is the new vocational building? It is actually a state of the art genetic laboratory built for one thing.

Thanks to the miracle of Mountain Dew, stem cells and cloning, Bell's new coach will be......

Dudley Hilton's clone! Big Grin
LivingTheDream Wrote:I don't think Larkey will leave Harlan Co. First of all, Bell County can't pay Larkey what Harlan Co. pays him. Also, playing in 5A just got a lot easier, and Harlan Co. will have a good team for some time.

On the other hand, Larkey would probably be win the regional title every year in 3A. If he beat Central in the semi-finals, he will win the state championship.

I don't know what I would do in this situation if I was Larkey. It's really a win-win.

how the **** do you know what they pay larkey?you act like you know whats going on,but you have no clue.
To my knowledge, Mills hasn't said anything to anyone, yay or nay. Roark's name even being on this thread is a joke...right? Nothing against Hoskins, but I don't see anyone without head-coaching experience getting this job. Dudley did make this job great, before he got to Bell, Bell football was very bad. One thing about a great coach though, when he leaves, the people he touches, teaches, and influenced will still be there. They won't just fall apart. He taught too many people how to win, they'll continue what he started. One thing to remember, if Mills wants a ring, it's gonna be 10 times tougher now at KC with Highlands in the way. 1 name to add to the barber shop list...Jay Cobb (formerly of Somerset). Oh and Larkey won't come to Bell, he would never coach on DUDLEY HILTON FIELD...LOL, except as the visiting coach.
DaBears Wrote:how the **** do you know what they pay larkey?you act like you know whats going on,but you have no clue.

If Harlan County is a public school, anyone can find out what coaches are paid. I forgot what to look under but every school district has to release that information because of the public records act.
What about Haddix from PCC,i do believe he was seen at Bell Co.at their last game,would he leave PCC never know,he has always been a winner and young and very good coach so what about the Boobcats going after him if you remember he was a Breathitt Co.BOBCAT player and WKU Grad so would be a good catch!!
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:How would it be a guarantee? The kids in Bell are not different from the kids in Harlan Co.. The advantage they had was a Hall of Fame coach, and that advantage is gone. I am not saying anything bad about Bell Co. kids. Just saying the only advantage they had over other teams was a great coach, the kids are the same, the preparation is what made them great. He took Bourban Co. to a title, so he takes traditionally average teams and makes them good, and traditionally good teams and makes them great. That will be missed no matter who si the new hire.

I have no dog in this fight but there is a huge difference in the kids at bell and the ones at harlan reference the last 2 years scores! HEART, BELIEF, and Determination and the will to win! The kids beleive and the program will survive because of these kids and what they possess! :redboxer:
Trenches07 Wrote:I have no dog in this fight but there is a huge difference in the kids at bell and the ones at harlan reference the last 2 years scores! HEART, BELIEF, and Determination and the will to win! The kids beleive and the program will survive because of these kids and what they possess! :redboxer:

So Harlan County kid's do not have hearts, belief, and determination? WOW! HC just finished the season 11-3 and won their district and regional championships and was beaten by the 5A 2010 state champions HIGHLANDS in the semifinals. All this in their third year of existence. What a slap in the face! Sit back and watch the next few years. Last time I checked most of Pathfork was in Harlan County too. That was an unnecessary smack at the players and coaches in Harlan County and where the program is headed. Tongueuke:
Trenches07 Wrote:I have no dog in this fight but there is a huge difference in the kids at bell and the ones at harlan reference the last 2 years scores! HEART, BELIEF, and Determination and the will to win! The kids beleive and the program will survive because of these kids and what they possess! :redboxer:

No matter what the records are, the kids are the same. They are prepared differently. That is the only difference. Kids are kids. I am sure the kids at Knott Central want to win the same as at Bell County. The desire to win is the same, the preparation to win is what sets good programs apart in my opinion.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

LWC Wrote:If Harlan County is a public school, anyone can find out what coaches are paid. I forgot what to look under but every school district has to release that information because of the public records act.

like i said no clue.:igiveup:
Mama Bear Wrote:So Harlan County kid's do not have hearts, belief, and determination? WOW! HC just finished the season 11-3 and won their district and regional championships and was beaten by the 5A 2010 state champions HIGHLANDS in the semifinals. All this in their third year of existence. What a slap in the face! Sit back and watch the next few years. Last time I checked most of Pathfork was in Harlan County too. That was an unnecessary smack at the players and coaches in Harlan County and where the program is headed. Tongueuke:

I believe Bell County got beat by a state championship team too. But the difference is Bell continues to make it back every year. And Harlan County being in existence for 3 years. I am pretty sure Harlan has been around for quite some time. I mean there was Cawood, Evarts, and Cumberland. They never really amounted to anything. :flush:
You have to give credit where credit is due, HC has improved more and more each year. With that being said, to think HC kids are on the same level as Bell County kids on the football field is ridiculous. Yes, Hilton prepares like no other, but seems people have forgotten that Larkey used to beat down Bell Co year after year, or keep it close the entire game at Rockcastle, so shouldn't he have his boys prepared just as well as his Rock teams to take on Bell? Bell has blown HC out two consecutive years, some is coaching, but alot of it is talent and as long as the Bell-HC series goes on I don't see much changing.
Generals2010 Wrote:I believe Bell County got beat by a state championship team too. But the difference is Bell continues to make it back every year. And Harlan County being in existence for 3 years. I am pretty sure Harlan has been around for quite some time. I mean there was Cawood, Evarts, and Cumberland. They never really amounted to anything. :flush:

All i can say is WOW!!! i could say the say thing about Jackson co.,but theres no way i would say something like that.:dontthink

our kids are working hard and hope yours are too.

Good Luck to you guys next season
DaBears Wrote:how the **** do you know what they pay larkey?you act like you know whats going on,but you have no clue.

I'm not claiming to know exact figures, but with three schools consolidating, I'm pretty sure he is going to get paid more than the coach at Bell Co.

On a side note, looking at the way you typed your response, I almost guarantee he makes a lot more than you. :igiveup:

I will say this, though. Harlan Co. kids have the same will and determination as the kids at Bell Co. The only difference in the programs is tradition, and, while Bell Co. has a long tradition of success, Harlan Co. is building their tradition.
LivingTheDream Wrote:I'm not claiming to know exact figures, but with three schools consolidating, I'm pretty sure he is going to get paid more than the coach at Bell Co.

On a side note, looking at the way you typed your response, I almost guarantee he makes a lot more than you. :igiveup:

I will say this, though. Harlan Co. kids have the same will and determination as the kids at Bell Co. The only difference in the programs is tradition, and, while Bell Co. has a long tradition of success, Harlan Co. is building their tradition.

LOL Nice 1. :thatsfunn

You still have no clue.
DaBears Wrote:LOL Nice 1. :thatsfunn

You still have no clue.

What don't I have a clue about? I'm pretty sure Dudley Hilton came to Harlan Co. and talked to the administration before Larkey was named coach. I'm also pretty sure that the Bell Co. administration told Hilton they could not match the salary that Harlan Co. had offered. Is that true? Well, you probably have no clue, either.

I am glad you capitalized your sentence, though. It makes your post look a lot better.
LivingTheDream Wrote:What don't I have a clue about? I'm pretty sure Dudley Hilton came to Harlan Co. and talked to the administration before Larkey was named coach. I'm also pretty sure that the Bell Co. administration told Hilton they could not match the salary that Harlan Co. had offered. Is that true? Well, you probably have no clue, either.

I am glad you capitalized your sentence, though. It makes your post look a lot better.

Well, Thank you. i'm glad my post look better. i dunno if that sound better.:biggrin::Clap:

I don't think it was "HEART, BELIEF, and Determination and the will to win!"....
I think it was better athletes and great coaching that did it.
LivingTheDream Wrote:What don't I have a clue about? I'm pretty sure Dudley Hilton came to Harlan Co. and talked to the administration before Larkey was named coach. I'm also pretty sure that the Bell Co. administration told Hilton they could not match the salary that Harlan Co. had offered. Is that true? Well, you probably have no clue, either.

I'd be willing to bet he makes more than you do too. That was an ignorant thing to say to a person. He has as much right on here as you do. Coaching stipends at HC are 10000. Basketball and football alike. Not much more or less than any other school systems around. Before consolidation, the pay was around 6600. Guess I should have thrown some commas in on my figures to appease the grammar police. At any rate, you came on here taking shots at the staff. You can say you were not. You know that is what you were doing. They coach all summer and season long. The Larkey's come in to support their dad on Friday nights in the playoffs. Evidently, you watch from the bleachers, and if you think you can show up on Friday and "coach," you are not as intelligent as you seem to think you are. Take your insults and insinuations someplace else.

As for the Bell people, Bell has lots of history. HC will get there. No, they are not there, but they will be. To be honest, everyone in the mountains wants what Bell has, but the beat will not go on when Hilton leaves. (it may for a year or two). What happened last time? Bell dropped and Bourbon rose up and won a title. Those particular years' players must not have had much heart and determination. Were Bourbon County's kids that much more determined and skilled in 1999 than in other years? Foolish assumptions and statements are made on here all the time. To insinuate that Bell's kids are better than HC's in any other way than on the field (let me stress on the field right now!! Won't last forever.) is just foolish.
What about Dale Anderson?
Dale has a good life at SW. Doubt he'd consider leaving at this stage in his career.
Yogibear Wrote:I'd be willing to bet he makes more than you do too. That was an ignorant thing to say to a person. He has as much right on here as you do. Coaching stipends at HC are 10000. Basketball and football alike. Not much more or less than any other school systems around. Before consolidation, the pay was around 6600. Guess I should have thrown some commas in on my figures to appease the grammar police. At any rate, you came on here taking shots at the staff. You can say you were not. You know that is what you were doing. They coach all summer and season long. The Larkey's come in to support their dad on Friday nights in the playoffs. Evidently, you watch from the bleachers, and if you think you can show up on Friday and "coach," you are not as intelligent as you seem to think you are. Take your insults and insinuations someplace else.

As for the Bell people, Bell has lots of history. HC will get there. No, they are not there, but they will be. To be honest, everyone in the mountains wants what Bell has, but the beat will not go on when Hilton leaves. (it may for a year or two). What happened last time? Bell dropped and Bourbon rose up and won a title. Those particular years' players must not have had much heart and determination. Were Bourbon County's kids that much more determined and skilled in 1999 than in other years? Foolish assumptions and statements are made on here all the time. To insinuate that Bell's kids are better than HC's in any other way than on the field (let me stress on the field right now!! Won't last forever.) is just foolish.

You are way off base here, pal. First, I never took a shot at the staff. Secondly, I simply said that I didn't think Bell Co. could match what Harlan Co. pays Larkey. That statement was not a negative statement, at all, and then I get called out on it. If not for that, I would have never replied to Da Bears. He took a shot at me from out of nowhere, so I took one at him.

I have given HC props for everything they have accomplished, but some people do not like it that I have talked good about a program other than the football team. I don't know Larkey, personally, but I think he is a great coach, and I have said that multiple times. I am impressed by what the football program has accomplished in such a short period of time.

Regarding the Bell Co. statements, I'm assuming those are pointed at me because I clearly said that Bell Co. only has more tradition than Harlan Co, and that I think HC is on the right track.

I believe that before you start making assumptions about my posts, you need to look at the whole picture. I've said only good things about HC, and some people disagreed with what I said (especially about the basketball team). I haven't taken any shots at anyone, other than the comment I made about another person's grammar, and that was just in retaliation. I have said anything to you, so, personally, I don't think you should say anything to me.

:Thumbs:
I believe the powers to be at Bell Co. want a coach that will not stray to far away from the things that have made them what they are today. I don't think you will get a coach that throws the ball 80% of the time, or who is a system coach.
All right Pal!!! I was talking to the Bell people who made the posts about bell having more heart etc... Aiming at multiple people. I only quoted you, but should have quoted the other also. I was trying to respond to two peole at the same time. I know you have given credit. You have made some underhanded remarks also. As far as Dabears: only defending my buddy.
You know....I read all this BS and don't even really know where to start. First thing...a poster mentioned none of the Harlan County Schools ever amounted to anything...Um Cumberland played in 3 state championship games in 5 years beating Beechwood on the way each time...I guess I'll let it rest there because I don't really want to get started.
well it is good to see this thread staying on topic... it is a refreshing change.
Lets stay on topic. Who cares if Harlan or Bell was going to pay more. We all know both are good coaches and both get paid good.
Fun read... Mills has told his players he's staying. I know the Bell faithful would love to have him but the only part of him you will get is that part that beats 3A Bell in 2011. That is assuming we find a way to stop Davenport who may be running a 4.2 by then.

Bell should start from scratch with a young coach who loves the mountains and will have thick enough skin to deal with the post Hilton era. Playing on a field named after the guy who just had your job is a challenge. But it is also an honor. Someone will be challenged and blessed to assume the lead role in that storied program.

But it will not be Coach Mills. As the LightWizard so rightly pointed out; Coach Mills and his excellent family of players have moved Knox from a BBall town to a Football place. The banners are next.
Football1 Wrote:Fun read... Mills has told his players he's staying. I know the Bell faithful would love to have him but the only part of him you will get is that part that beats 3A Bell in 2011. That is assuming we find a way to stop Davenport who may be running a 4.2 by then.

Bell should start from scratch with a young coach who loves the mountains and will have thick enough skin to deal with the post Hilton era. Playing on a field named after the guy who just had your job is a challenge. But it is also an honor. Someone will be challenged and blessed to assume the lead role in that storied program.

But it will not be Coach Mills. As the LightWizard so rightly pointed out; Coach Mills and his excellent family of players have moved Knox from a BBall town to a Football place. The banners are next.

I think Wayne Mills is one of the best coaches in Eastern Kentucky. There aren't many people that could take a dismal Knox Central program, and turn them into a top-notch team, like he has. I really hope he can grab a ring with the Panthers.

Who does this leave as a possibility for the Bell job? I guess we can rule out Will Muschamp, who joined the Florida Gators today.

If I were Bell, I would try to pry Mike Holcomb from Breathitt Co. He has won multiple state titles, and knows how to run successful program. I think it'd be a nice change of scenery for Holcomb.
LivingTheDream Wrote:I think Wayne Mills is one of the best coaches in Eastern Kentucky. There aren't many people that could take a dismal Knox Central program, and turn them into a top-notch team, like he has. I really hope he can grab a ring with the Panthers.

Who does this leave as a possibility for the Bell job? I guess we can rule out Will Muschamp, who joined the Florida Gators today.

If I were Bell, I would try to pry Mike Holcomb from Breathitt Co. He has won multiple state titles, and knows how to run successful program. I think it'd be a nice change of scenery for Holcomb.

Well, your not Bell. and Mike Holcomb will retire from Breathitt Co.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next