Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things don't look good for Enes Kanter
Amun-Ra Wrote:If he doesn't get eligible then it is a travesty, especially after Newton and Selby getting cleared.

I honestly hope enes get elgible. But i see his case and newton and selbys case alot different. I mean enes knew what he was doing, he knew he got benefits. Cam didnt. Enes, took near 34000$ and selb took 5800... Big difference. On top of that, if Enes gets elgible then all the turkish players will expect to come over and play and get elgible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:I honestly hope enes get elgible. But i see his case and newton and selbys case alot different. I mean enes knew what he was doing, he knew he got benefits. Cam didnt. Enes, took near 34000$ and selb took 5800... Big difference. On top of that, if Enes gets elgible then all the turkish players will expect to come over and play and get elgible.

You honestly think Cam didn't know what his own father was doing? Cmon.
^ You may believe he did, but can you PROVE it? They can PROVE Enes got money! The HUGE difference here is PROOF!
PHS95 Wrote:^ You may believe he did, but can you PROVE it? They can PROVE Enes got money! The HUGE difference here is PROOF!

Says the guy with the Duke avatar.:eyeroll:
king360 Wrote:Says the guy with the Duke avatar.:eyeroll:

They did prove magette took money. But well they didnt care.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:They did prove magette took money. But well they didnt care.

So true
But back on topic.....

Newton may or may not have been the benefactor of wrong doing. It's a fact though that Enes is a paid professional!
theVILLE Wrote:I honestly hope enes get elgible. But i see his case and newton and selbys case alot different. I mean enes knew what he was doing, he knew he got benefits. Cam didnt. Enes, took near 34000$ and selb took 5800... Big difference. On top of that, if Enes gets elgible then all the turkish players will expect to come over and play and get elgible.
Enes was 16 years old when this took place. Did you go through your mom and dads financial statements to see how much money was changing hands? Just because money was involved doesn't mean Enes knew his parents were getting money for his education.Enes never signed a contract and obviously wasn't paid to play, so it's likely the Turkish club sat Mr. Kanter down and said "here is money to pay for Enes' expenses and schooling", and Enes not know a thing about it.
Stardust Wrote:But back on topic.....

Newton may or may not have been the benefactor of wrong doing. It's a fact though that Enes is a paid professional!
He was never accused of being a paid professional. He couldn't be a paid professional because 1. He didn't sign a contract, therefore he is not a professional and 2. he was only 16 years old. He wasn't allowed to be a professional.

Enes got 33k extra for education. Renardo Sidney paid back 13k from an agent. Selby is getting his 6k paid for by his Kansas scholarship. Explain that ish to me. And why can't Kanter pay his money back when these other two were obviously given money by agents.
BCF4L Wrote:Enes was 16 years old when this took place. Did you go through your mom and dads financial statements to see how much money was changing hands? Just because money was involved doesn't mean Enes knew his parents were getting money for his education.Enes never signed a contract and obviously wasn't paid to play, so it's likely the Turkish club sat Mr. Kanter down and said "here is money to pay for Enes' expenses and schooling", and Enes not know a thing about it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where is contract language that said this money was for education?

Two things:

Legally Enes's parents signing anything for him makes him cualpable. He would be considered a paid professional if he was paid to play for a professional team. I would suggest there was a contract, and no matter his age, if he was a paid professional under the age of 18, he is still a paid professional over the age of 18. (Michelle Wie, Bryce Harper - the list is endless). Enes's parents work the same as having "power of attorney" as do many professional athletes of today. Even though his parents signed, he is on the hook of the contractual language. To say he is not culpable would be the same as the parents signing the contract and Enes not playing, and the parents not being required to pay the money back to the owners.

As for contracts with education stipulations, virtually every single athlete who leaves college early has an education fund built into their contract that the money is put into a fund by the owners to pay any education fees that the athlete takes. The first that I recall having this in their contract was Barry Sanders, but this is typical of all athletes who come out early.
BCF4L Wrote:He was never accused of being a paid professional. He couldn't be a paid professional because 1. He didn't sign a contract, therefore he is not a professional and 2. he was only 16 years old. He wasn't allowed to be a professional.

Enes got 33k extra for education. Renardo Sidney paid back 13k from an agent. Selby is getting his 6k paid for by his Kansas scholarship. Explain that ish to me. And why can't Kanter pay his money back when these other two were obviously given money by agents.

Se my previous post.
king360 Wrote:Says the guy with the Duke avatar.:eyeroll:

Oh yeah, I forgot that, in Kentucky, anyone who dares to like the Blue Devils is that spawn of satan, thereby responsible for anything negative that happens to the University of Kentucky! I will try to keep my opinions to myself forthwith! LOL

Not my fault that the kid or his parents took money! Not my fault they can prove it.... :please:

My Duke avatar makes what I say no less true, my friend! You have a Cam Newton avatar, but are mocking what I say because mine is Duke, even though I defended Cam Newton? WTH? LMAO Hello pot, meet kettle!
PHS95 Wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot that, in Kentucky, anyone who dares to like the Blue Devils is that spawn of satan, thereby responsible for anything negative that happens to the University of Kentucky! I will try to keep my opinions to myself forthwith! LOL

Not my fault that the kid or his parents took money! Not my fault they can prove it.... :please:

My Duke avatar makes what I say no less true, my friend! You have a Cam Newton avatar, but are mocking what I say because mine is Duke, even though I defended Cam Newton? WTH? LMAO Hello pot, meet kettle!

I never once said Cam Newton shouldn't be eligible, but as for the hello pot meet Kettle comment..corey maggete's situation was worse than Kanters and im sure you loved that, and now you don't think Kanter should be eligible?..Make sure your posts make sense next time
king360 Wrote:I never once said Cam Newton shouldn't be eligible, but as for the hello pot meet Kettle comment..corey maggete's situation was worse than Kanters and im sure you loved that, and now you don't think Kanter should be eligible?..Make sure your posts make sense next time

:rockon:
PHS95 Wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot that, in Kentucky, anyone who dares to like the Blue Devils is that spawn of satan, thereby responsible for anything negative that happens to the University of Kentucky! I will try to keep my opinions to myself forthwith! LOL

The kid didn't know that he was taking to much. The rule was changed years ago and they didn't know. Enes's father tried everything in his power to keep his son eligible to play college ball. Enes deserves to be eligible MORE than Cam Newton.
The NCAA explained its position on Newton this way:

"In the Cam Newton reinstatement case, there was not sufficient evidence available to establish he had any knowledge of his father's actions and there was no indication he actually received any impermissible benefit,'' the NCAA said. "If a student-athlete does not receive tangible benefits, that is a different situation from a student-athlete or family member who receives cash, housing or other benefits or knowingly competes and is compensated as a professional athlete."

Don't you think this comment on Thursday was meant specifically toward Kanter or any other athlete who goes abroad and plays for money? I think this comment on Thursday is a clear response to the impending Kanter appeal.
king360 Wrote:I never once said Cam Newton shouldn't be eligible, but as for the hello pot meet Kettle comment..corey maggete's situation was worse than Kanters and im sure you loved that, and now you don't think Kanter should be eligible?..Make sure your posts make sense next time

I understand you never said that.... and, NO, I was not a big fan of the Corey Maggette issue. Who is ever a fan of people blatantly disregarding rules for their own selfish gain? Not sure, in fact, why nothing was done about it.... he messed up, there should have been repercussions, but there weren't for some reason; I cannot rewrite that history. In this case, however, Kanter accepted payment or reimbursement for expenses, making him a PAID PROFESSIONAL... how is that NOT against the rules? I, personally, don't think EITHER should have been eligible since the money can be followed and payment could be PROVED.
Stardust Wrote:The NCAA explained its position on Newton this way:

"In the Cam Newton reinstatement case, there was not sufficient evidence available to establish he had any knowledge of his father's actions and there was no indication he actually received any impermissible benefit,'' the NCAA said. "If a student-athlete does not receive tangible benefits, that is a different situation from a student-athlete or family member who receives cash, housing or other benefits or knowingly competes and is compensated as a professional athlete."

Don't you think this comment on Thursday was meant specifically toward Kanter or any other athlete who goes abroad and plays for money? I think this comment on Thursday is a clear response to the impending Kanter appeal.

I think this is in direct comment to the people that were screaming that Cam Newton and Reggie Bush were one and the same situation, personally. it could also be a swipe at the Kanter appeal, who knows! Until the NCAA starts showing some consistency in dealing with all of these issues, they will be as unpredictable as the weather, IMHO!
Aslan Wrote:You honestly think Cam didn't know what his own father was doing? Cmon.

He probably did. but he didnt go to miss st, so it appears he didnt, also the list of things like newton goes on. The drose situation, u think cal didnt know about that ot the marcus camby?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
The problem here is consistency. Josh Selby signed with an agent. This should make him ineligible. Cam Newton and/or his family received money. This should make him ineligible. Now if Kanter is ruled ineligible because that's what the rules say, fine. Then make Newton and Selby and anyone else who has conducted in illegal activity ineligible. The NCAA picks and chooses who they want to benefit. In other words, if you are an institution that has previously been put on probation, then you are ruled against. If you have a clean record (like Duke and Coach K.) then you are given a pass. Now I think that the NCAA needs to step up its investigative efforts and find every 14 year old kid that has received any benefits (meal money, spending money on AAU trips, etc.) and rule them ineligible. If they allow anyone to pay back money they have received, then they should allow everyone that same opportunity.
Shady Grady Wrote:The problem here is consistency. Josh Selby signed with an agent. This should make him ineligible. Cam Newton and/or his family received money. This should make him ineligible. Now if Kanter is ruled ineligible because that's what the rules say, fine. Then make Newton and Selby and anyone else who has conducted in illegal activity ineligible. The NCAA picks and chooses who they want to benefit. In other words, if you are an institution that has previously been put on probation, then you are ruled against. If you have a clean record (like Duke and Coach K.) then you are given a pass. Now I think that the NCAA needs to step up its investigative efforts and find every 14 year old kid that has received any benefits (meal money, spending money on AAU trips, etc.) and rule them ineligible. If they allow anyone to pay back money they have received, then they should allow everyone that same opportunity.

No, this is about a player being ruled a professional athlete, not about receiving money or gifts.
Stardust Wrote:No, this is about a player being ruled a professional athlete, not about receiving money or gifts.

Don't matter. If someone who is ruled a professional athlete is ineligible, then one who receives gift and money is ineligible. Like I said, it's all about who you are.
Anyone got the lastest word??....FREE ENES ALREADY!
Shady Grady Wrote:Don't matter. If someone who is ruled a professional athlete is ineligible, then one who receives gift and money is ineligible. Like I said, it's all about who you are.

As in, we are UK, so we get screwed:popcorn:
MVP2 Wrote:Anyone got the lastest word??....FREE ENES ALREADY!

Matt Jones said yesterday that the NCAA had never set a timetable for response to the appeal, it was all internet rumors that the answer was supposed to be Friday. He expected the decision sometime this week, but no set time expected.
I hope they dont drag this out forever...
I say we all will know in the next 72 hours.
Overrated Wrote:I say we all will know in the next 72 hours.

If the NCAA drags this out past the middle of Dec. without an answer one way or another UK dosen't need him. Sometimes you have to dance with the one you bring to the party. This thing has gone on long enough, rule him eligible or ineligible and lets play some ball.
If Cam Newton gets to play, Enes should too!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
MisterPerfect Wrote:If Cam Newton gets to play, Enes should too!

:rockon: