Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things don't look good for Enes Kanter
A friend told me today he read the NCAA has asked the appeals committee to overturn the decision. I don't have a link though.
If Kanter don't get eligible, this is seriously going to reduce the number of international players that come here to play college ball.
Aslan Wrote:A friend told me today he read the NCAA has asked the appeals committee to overturn the decision. I don't have a link though.
If Kanter don't get eligible, this is seriously going to reduce the number of international players that come here to play college ball.
If he doesn't get eligible then it is a travesty, especially after Newton and Selby getting cleared.
zaga_fan Wrote:I'd rather have Deron Williams instead of Derek Fisher too....
but that's all we got Wink

I'm not sure that is relevant? They are both guards and in the NBA.
Or have anything to do with the topic?
Mod please!?
Amun-Ra Wrote:If he doesn't get eligible then it is a travesty, especially after Newton and Selby getting cleared.

Oh boy, I agree.
Aslan Wrote:A friend told me today he read the NCAA has asked the appeals committee to overturn the decision. I don't have a link though.

That would be great! I don't care if it is a rumor, I am happy.
Ballers Wrote:I'm not sure that is relevant? They are both guards and in the NBA.
Or have anything to do with the topic?
Mod please!?

[Image: http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/zjtfn...k4dhlj.jpg]
LWC Wrote:That would be great! I don't care if it is a rumor, I am happy.

MM said it. He's quite reliable. Can't post a link though, have to be a premium member.
^If you have that link PM it to me please?
Aslan Wrote:MM said it. He's quite reliable. Can't post a link though, have to be a premium member.

if you have the link could you send it to me in a pm?
You guys can't view it, you have to be premium members too. I'll post what he said though. If I'm not supposed to, then just delete the post.

The appeal was yesterday and the committee by RULE has 48 hours to render a decision.... so this should be over by tomorrow.

Now, I don't know if the ruling will be ANNOUNCED by tomorrow, but the ruling shoud be in by then. I SUSPECT (have no knowledge of facts) that when it comes down, it won't be kept secret for long at all.....

And yes, the NCAA DID in fact recommend to the appeals committee that they overturn the ruling and allow Kanter to play.

Anyone who is saying they expect the ruling to stand probably isn't in tune with what's going on. Nobody involved seems to want the ruling to stay in place.... of course, that does NOT MEAN that it will be overturned.... just that there is too much at stake in such a HUGE PROFILE case to send the message to kids all over the world that they don't have a clear path to playing in the NCAA.

IT's a global market.....

mm
Aslan Wrote:You guys can't view it, you have to be premium members too. I'll post what he said though. If I'm not supposed to, then just delete the post.

The appeal was yesterday and the committee by RULE has 48 hours to render a decision.... so this should be over by tomorrow.

Now, I don't know if the ruling will be ANNOUNCED by tomorrow, but the ruling shoud be in by then. I SUSPECT (have no knowledge of facts) that when it comes down, it won't be kept secret for long at all.....

And yes, the NCAA DID in fact recommend to the appeals committee that they overturn the ruling and allow Kanter to play.

Anyone who is saying they expect the ruling to stand probably isn't in tune with what's going on. Nobody involved seems to want the ruling to stay in place.... of course, that does NOT MEAN that it will be overturned.... just that there is too much at stake in such a HUGE PROFILE case to send the message to kids all over the world that they don't have a clear path to playing in the NCAA.

mm

Thanks Aslan :Thumbs:
There are lot's of insiders, but I hardly can beleive that the NCAA would have told the Appeals Committee, since the Appeals Committee is the NCAA!

Aslan Wrote:You guys can't view it, you have to be premium members too. I'll post what he said though. If I'm not supposed to, then just delete the post.

mm
As of this morning

Anxious. Eager to know. Believing he could make a big difference.

Kentucky players are no different than their fans when it comes to the long-awaited decision on whether the NCAA will "free" Enes Kanter.

The definite and final decision on Kanter's disputed eligibility is expected at any time.

"I think we're all getting pretty anxious," wing Darius Miller said Thursday. "He's a great player and he'd be a huge help and asset to the team. We're all waiting like everybody else."

Earlier this fall, the NCAA declared Kanter permanently ineligible because during the last of the three seasons he played for a professional team in his native Turkey, he received $33,033 in excess of the permitted "actual and necessary" expenses. UK and the NCAA have agreed on that.

UK's appeal of that ruling was expected to take place this week. NCAA procedures suggest a decision would be made the same day as the appeal hearing, but could take a day or two to announce.

"Really, I don't have a clue when we'll find out," Miller said Thursday. "Hopefully, we do find out today."

Assistant coach John Robic, who again substituted for head coach John Calipari in a media session, said the program had no idea when a decision would be announced.

What is not in dispute is that Kentucky would welcome Kanter to the team.

"If he plays Saturday (at North Carolina), I don't know, that'd be crazy," freshman guard Doron Lamb said. "I know Kentucky would be happy."

Lamb acknowledged that he thinks about Kanter joining the team.

"I don't really sleep on it," he said. "But I think about it sometimes. ... We just have to wait and see."

Talk is not cheap

UK coaches have emphasized the need for players to communicate. Robic said that figures to be even more important on the road at North Carolina.

"I thought we got better at it the last game both offensively and defensively," he said. "And that is important. ... You have to relay calls to one another. You are not going to be able to hear all the time. So you have to rely on each other and trust everyone."

Before the Boston University game, Brandon Knight was noticeably more chatty as the Cats warmed up. The coaches also want Lamb to speak up more.

"He's trying to talk more," Robic said of Lamb. "We're on him. His teammates are on him because that's something that will just elevate everybody's game and make us a better team."

Lamb said his previous coaches did not ask him to talk more.

"I didn't really say a word," he said. "I might say, 'I got your help.' But I really wasn't saying anything."

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/12/03/15504...z174FVhDjf
^ Well what do you think SD.

I trust your opinion over anyone elses.. Think he"ll be set free?
I believe they did ask the appeals committee to overturn there decision. The reason I believe that is that not near as many international players are going to come here to play college ball before they head to the NBA. It just hurts business not letting Kanter and other international players play here.
Jay Bilas said that Enes Kanter should be allowed to play, but he doubted that the NCAA would let him play. I think he said that either when Kentucky was playing against Washington or Connecticut.
This wait is killing me..I stayed up until 5 this morning just waiting and trying to look for anything that could be linked to the decision, also read that we should have woke up to the news. I hope they get an answer soon!
^I feel your pain.
Just saw on the UK2K facebook page that the decision is going to be delayed because UK is submitting new information. I'd post the link but the link they gave was dead.
Ballers Wrote:^ Well what do you think SD.

I trust your opinion over anyone elses.. Think he"ll be set free?

I'd love to say yes, and not because of just the UK factor. I think that the precedence that this sets for all foreign players is very paramount to this decision. I really believe that Enes wants to play college basketball (even for just one season), but I think that this will be difficult to be overturned. This will now force all foreign players to really reconsider whether they ever want to play college sports in america again.

So many want to compare this to the Cam Newton or Reggie Bush situation, but this is truly different. In those situations, those players knowingly (or unknowingly) took gifts. Whether is was housing, cars or even money, it was considered as inappropriate gifts. This is not a situation anything like that. In this case, it was deemed that Enes took Money to play in a professional league. That is the whole crux, Enes is considered a paid professional, and no matter how you cut it, that takes away his amateur status. I don't know of any other situation was a professional in their sport was ever re-evaluated and deemed back as an amateur.

Even though the dollars are minimal, a paid professional is a paid professional. I could not see that Lebron James could pay back the Millions he has earned in professional basketball and the NCAA re-consider him as an amateur.

The NCAA has provisions to earn money from other endeavors other than the sport in which you participate and claim an amateur status. I have heard the argument of other athletes being paid to play professional baseball, yet still be a college football player. Under the rules that have been in place for a long time (I know as far back as Dieon Sanders), this is allowed. Just as Dieon did at FSU, he played football for the Noles and played Minor League baseball for the Braves. However, once he was paid from the Braves, he was no longer eligible to play baseball at FSU.

I'm just not real confident that the NCAA (or the college presidents that created this rule) will overturn this. Am I hopeful, yes. Am I confident, no!
Kanter and family turned down millions in contract money to stay eligible. They took money for expenses only, which was allowed by NCAA, only to find out afterwards that apparently they took $33,000 too much... To me that is penalizing a kid for something that he knew nothing about. Did the Kanter's know how much they was allowed to accept according to the new rule? If not then how is it that much different than Cam Newton not knowing his father was shopping his talents around?
To me that is penalizing one kid for not knowing everything but letting another get through. It just aint right, the NCAA knows it aint right but I doubt they will do the right thing.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Kanter and family turned down millions in contract money to stay eligible. They took money for expenses only, which was allowed by NCAA, only to find out afterwards that apparently they took $33,000 too much... To me that is penalizing a kid for something that he knew nothing about. Did the Kanter's know how much they was allowed to accept according to the new rule? If not then how is it that much different than Cam Newton not knowing his father was shopping his talents around?
To me that is penalizing one kid for not knowing everything but letting another get through. It just aint right, the NCAA knows it aint right but I doubt they will do the right thing.

I understand your point, but there has to be something more to the expenses than what we are seeing. If he signed ANYTHING, that would be considered a contract. A contract by definition is against the rules per the NCAA eligibility standards. It would be hard for me to imagine that playing for a professional team, they did not sign some type of binding contract to play for the turkey team and it is that contract that likely has made this issue about a paid professional.
UK is resubmitting the case to the NCAA and so the case is out of the appeals committees hand. The NCAA allows for a resubmission from the school is new info comes up and from what I can read the new info that the NCAA has is the Newton Ruling. From what I can tell from all this the reason the NCAA recommended the appeals committee overturn the decision is because they had no way to keep newton from playing and they didn't feel right letting Newton play when his family was trying to make money off him and keeping Kanter from playing when his family turned down money to try and keep him eligible.
Free Enes!
JCHS05 Wrote:UK is resubmitting the case to the NCAA and so the case is out of the appeals committees hand. The NCAA allows for a resubmission from the school is new info comes up and from what I can read the new info that the NCAA has is the Newton Ruling. From what I can tell from all this the reason the NCAA recommended the appeals committee overturn the decision is because they had no way to keep newton from playing and they didn't feel right letting Newton play when his family was trying to make money off him and keeping Kanter from playing when his family turned down money to try and keep him eligible.

This is encouraging.
I really hope they come out with the ruling soon whether its good or bad.
This would let UK move on and know exactly where they stand for the rest of the year.
I can agree with both sides of the argument from everyone, and me being a UK fan I would love to see it get overturned, but i just dont see it happening.

For the most part im like SD. Hes been dead on about this. The truth is the truth.

An extremely interesting thing though, and what has raised my speculation is the time it has took. I know the NCAA dont rush for anything not even money, but its interesting that so much information is coming in. I hope UK is not relying on making the NCAA look at Newton or Selby because I dont think that will work.

And as always .....FREE ENES
JCHS05 Wrote:UK is resubmitting the case to the NCAA and so the case is out of the appeals committees hand. The NCAA allows for a resubmission from the school is new info comes up and from what I can read the new info that the NCAA has is the Newton Ruling. From what I can tell from all this the reason the NCAA recommended the appeals committee overturn the decision is because they had no way to keep newton from playing and they didn't feel right letting Newton play when his family was trying to make money off him and keeping Kanter from playing when his family turned down money to try and keep him eligible.

what exactly does it mean that it is out of the appeal committees hand?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:what exactly does it mean that it is out of the appeal committees hand?

Because instead of going infront of the appeals committee the case goes back infront of the NCAA again. From what I have read about the comments made by certain members of the NCAA that heard the case the first time we won't need the appeals committee this time it will be done right by the NCAA.

What does this mean?
JCHS05 Wrote:Because instead of going infront of the appeals committee the case goes back infront of the NCAA again. From what I have read about the comments made by certain members of the NCAA that heard the case the first time we won't need the appeals committee this time it will be done right by the NCAA.

:Thumbs: