Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kanter ruled ineligible
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-...id=5793957

On Thursday, the NCAA ruled Kentucky center Enes Kanter permanently ineligible for receiving benefits above his needed expenses while playing for his club team in Turkey. While the university will appeal the decision, here's my reaction to the ruling.

What It Means To Kentucky

The loss of Kanter is the difference between very good and potentially great.

The loss of Kanter this season is equivalent to the loss of DeMarcus Cousins last season. Kanter would have been the leading rebounder and perhaps the leading scorer.

The Wildcats will still be very good, and can be a top-10 team in time, given the talent level of the eligible freshmen. Brandon Knight and Terrence Jones are both future pros who are special talents and are prepared to impact the college game right away. However, Kanter would have made a major difference in the power potential of this team, and his loss is a big blow to Kentucky's Final Four chances.

The Ruling

Based upon the NCAA's definition of the amateurism ideal and the "model" of college sports, this ruling was justified and expected. But, based upon the NCAA's outdated view of amateurism, the ruling shows the organization to be out of touch with today's game and with its own mission.

The NCAA's mission is one of education and this ruling is contrary to that mission. It is accepted that Kanter could have stayed in his home country of Turkey and made hundreds of thousands of dollars as a professional. Instead, Kanter chose to come to the United States to attend college, pursue an education at Kentucky and prepare himself for an NBA career.

The system of education and sport overseas is very different from the system in this country. Kanter has not demonstrated intent to be a professional. To the contrary, he has demonstrated that he has turned down the pros in order to be a full-time student and play as a collegiate athlete. By ruling Kanter ineligible, the NCAA is effectively standing in the way of Kanter pursuing and finishing a college education.

If Kanter were allowed to play, he would be in an educational environment for at least one year, and would be more likely to come back and complete his college education even if he were to leave school after the spring semester to enter the NBA. Kentucky would also have a vested interest in encouraging Kanter to return to school to finish his education. With this ruling, Kanter is unlikely to stay in school and even more unlikely to return to finish school. That hardly advances the educational mission of the NCAA.

Who is served by disallowing Kanter to play? Are we so concerned that European pros will turn down millions to come to college and pursue an education that we need to exclude them? How is the cause of education furthered by excluding a qualified student who has traveled to this country to go to college and play, while turning down the opportunity to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Does anyone believe former Duke star Trajan Langdon did not receive an education, and did not love the game? Well, while Langdon was in college, he earned hundreds of thousands of dollars playing professional baseball in the minor leagues, yet he still suited up for the Blue Devils as an amateur basketball player.

Money does not corrupt education or the educational mission. This ruling is based upon a principle that ignores the reality that other countries have different systems than ours. And it hurts the very person the NCAA's mission should protect and value -- the willing student-athlete.

Jay Bilas is a college basketball analyst for ESPN and a frequent contributor to ESPN.com.
^ You can't be a paid professional and play that sport as an amateur! This has nothing to do about being paid as Langdon did. It's the same thing in High School. We have a student at our High School he is a paid professional bowler. He is not allowed to be on the bowling team for the High School. Do you think he should be allowed to bowl for the HS, or do you think he has an unfair advantage???
Stardust Wrote:^ You can't be a paid professional and play that sport as an amateur! This has nothing to do about being paid as Langdon did. It's the same thing in High School. We have a student at our High School he is a paid professional bowler. He is not allowed to be on the bowling team for the High School. Do you think he should be allowed to bowl for the HS, or do you think he has an unfair advantage???

Did you only read the bold part of the article? This was a great article and provides good insight on the situation. I just felt that that part should be bold to show that the NCAA is hypocritical. Question for you Stardust, is it ethical to allow a professional baseball player to receive more than 100k and still play college basketball, yet rule a college football player ineligible because he is paid endorsements as professional skier at the Olympics? The problem is the NCAA deems who is eligible on a case to case basis and are not consistent with their rulings. Reggie Bush recieves monetary benefits=ineligible. Jeremy Bloom has endorsement as a part of the U.S. Olympic skiing team=ineligible.Trajan Langdon plays professional baseball making over 100k, but is ruled he kept his amateurism. Bottom line is there needs to be rules that either NO athlete can receive money or all athletes can. Just last year a foreign national player from Turkey sat out 20 games and then played at WVU.
zaga_fan Wrote:What's the next step for Kanter?
Does he go back to Turkey?
Does he go to the NBA?

Good question. Hopefully he doesn't fall into the ugly abyss and start wrestling.
Stardust Wrote:Which means his advisors meant to cheat. Not throwing this on Enes, he's just a kid. But his parents and everyone else around him flat our knew he was intending on breaking a rule. Which means they could not have cared less about the University of Kentucky. For all of us UK fans, shouldn't we be offended that they didn't care that this could have turned into a Reggie Bush situation, where after the fact it has leveled the USC program, it could have cost UK severe punishment as well? Just think if UK would have won a National Championship and then had it stripped away, and the Kanter family knew coming in that it could have hurt the school and it's program, but it appears that had no care of UK, only Enes. That's what's a shame, and I say we don't want those kind of people in our program. The Kanter family and advisors are pariah if this is all true. Is it true, I have no idea, but the NCAA must believe that it is. UK will appeal, but it sounds like the NCAA has a tight case.

This is absurd. From day 1 we knew (or you should have known) that money was involved. It was a know fact that Kanter had been compensated for something. The ruling however depended on whether or not the NCAA thought that the compensation was excessive. As long as Kanter had only received money for his education it would be fine. That is where the 20k came into play, however the NCAA ruled that they couldn't accept that because it was paid directly to the Kanter family. Now the big question IMO was the 13,000 his family received. I would understand if this was why the ruling was made. However other collegiate athletes have been given the opportunity to pay it back, but not in this case. Thus, it doesn't look good on the NCAA allowing special circumstances for some, but not all. I don't believe the Kanter family had any intent on hurting UK. As they believed by the rules their son was eligible.
Stardust Wrote:If the NCAA showed favortism, then every college that put the NCAA in existence would have challenged them and FIRED them from collegiate sports management! C'mon, seriously - the NCAA works for the colleges, they are not in existence because they have any real power. This is the same in all sports - KHSAA-dictated by all the High Schools that are members; Major League Baseball Commissioner - hired by the owners of baseball; The Mayor of your community - voted in and out by YOU! They have no secret powers over anything other than what the schools allow them to have, and if it';s for the schools, then do you really think the presidents of the rest of the colleges in the country is going to let the NCAA CHEAT them??? Think about what we are saying! Everyone wants to give the NCAA more power than they really have - Please!

You really think that a certain amount of schools have the ability to fire the NCAA.:lmao:
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:At least there will be not be another Probation banner hanging from Rupp's rafters.

Eerie

What a surprise to find you commenting on this thread. I bet it broke your heart to see the news. :biggrin:
Well this is just wonderful! :HitWall:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
goBIGblue82 Wrote:You really think that a certain amount of schools have the ability to fire the NCAA.:lmao:

Umm, the NCAA works for the schools! Now that's naive!
goBIGblue82 Wrote:This is absurd. From day 1 we knew (or you should have known) that money was involved. It was a know fact that Kanter had been compensated for something. The ruling however depended on whether or not the NCAA thought that the compensation was excessive. As long as Kanter had only received money for his education it would be fine. That is where the 20k came into play, however the NCAA ruled that they couldn't accept that because it was paid directly to the Kanter family. Now the big question IMO was the 13,000 his family received. I would understand if this was why the ruling was made. However other collegiate athletes have been given the opportunity to pay it back, but not in this case. Thus, it doesn't look good on the NCAA allowing special circumstances for some, but not all. I don't believe the Kanter family had any intent on hurting UK. As they believed by the rules their son was eligible.

Abusured hunh - what a comment to make that the Kanter family had no intent in hurting UK. If they didn't then why did they lie when originally asked about whether they took ANY money. Did you forget that? I love the whole mentality of - "I'm Only Sorry, If I get Caught"! Which is what happened in this case. The Kanter attorney so - Nope, we didn't take anything. Then the findings identify that they were lying? So, let's forget the fact that they lied in the first place hunh?
Stardust Wrote:Umm, the NCAA works for the schools! Now that's naive!

So how many schools would it take to fire them? Just throw out a number.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:So how many schools would it take to fire them? Just throw at a number.

Umm, the same number that hired them. If your school thinks they are unfair, then resign from the NCAA - right, who's to stop them. You don't like your job, no one can make you stay - You don't like your wife, No one can make you stay!
goBIGblue82 Wrote:This is absurd. From day 1 we knew (or you should have known) that money was involved. It was a know fact that Kanter had been compensated for something. The ruling however depended on whether or not the NCAA thought that the compensation was excessive. As long as Kanter had only received money for his education it would be fine. That is where the 20k came into play, however the NCAA ruled that they couldn't accept that because it was paid directly to the Kanter family. Now the big question IMO was the 13,000 his family received. I would understand if this was why the ruling was made. However other collegiate athletes have been given the opportunity to pay it back, but not in this case. Thus, it doesn't look good on the NCAA allowing special circumstances for some, but not all. I don't believe the Kanter family had any intent on hurting UK. As they believed by the rules their son was eligible.

Stardust Wrote:Abusured hunh - what a comment to make that the Kanter family had no intent in hurting UK. If they didn't then why did they lie when originally asked about whether they took ANY money. Did you forget that? I love the whole mentality of - "I'm Only Sorry, If I get Caught"! Which is what happened in this case. The Kanter attorney so - Nope, we didn't take anything. Then the findings identify that they were lying? So, let's forget the fact that they lied in the first place hunh?

So enlighten me? How can you say that the hanlders of Enes had no care of whether they caused long term damage to the school or not. There was no "they were confused of what they rule was". Early on, it was reported that the NCAA asked the Kanters if they received ANYTHING - they said NO! But now the story has changed, and you think the cared!
Stardust Wrote:Abusured hunh - what a comment to make that the Kanter family had no intent in hurting UK. If they didn't then why did they lie when originally asked about whether they took ANY money. Did you forget that? I love the whole mentality of - "I'm Only Sorry, If I get Caught"! Which is what happened in this case. The Kanter attorney so - Nope, we didn't take anything. Then the findings identify that they were lying? So, let's forget the fact that they lied in the first place hunh?

Through the entire process it was known that they had received money. They however felt that the money they had received was not more than what the NCAA declares acceptable. They stated that they had not received the excessive benefits in the form of the reports that had been leaked. You stated that if any money had been received it was against the rules and if he knew he had accepted money he was knowingly putting UK in danger. Oh sorry to tell you, but this is not the rule. Some monetary compensation is allowed for foreign players, however it can't be deemed "excessive" by the NCAA. So how did Kanter know exactly if the NCAA was going to rule the money he took as excessive? Give me a break dude. Your posts do not contain the intellectual depth or integrity of that I would expect from you.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Through the entire process it was known that they had received money. They however felt that the money they had received was not more than what the NCAA declares acceptable. They stated that they had not received the excessive benefits in the form of the reports that had been leaked. You stated that if any money had been received it was against the rules and if he knew he had accepted money he was knowingly putting UK in danger. Oh sorry to tell you, but this is not the rule. Some monetary compensation is allowed for foreign players, however it can't be deemed "excessive" by the NCAA. So how did Kanter know exactly if the NCAA was going to rule the money he took as excessive? Give me a break dude. Your posts do not contain the intellectual depth or integrity of that I would expect from you.

No, no, no, lets state the facts. At the very beginning of the inquiry, that resulted from the Turkish team blowing the whistle, the family of Enes said they took NOTHING! This is not whether he did or didn't, this is about what the integrity of the family did by saying they did not take anything. Then, after too much proof was available, they had to admit they took money. So, if the Turkish whistle-blower never said anything, do you think the family was ever going to ask UK if what they did was OK or not? If the answer would be no, then the family cared not what they did to the UK program. If you think they did, then why did UK not self report?
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Through the entire process it was known that they had received money. They however felt that the money they had received was not more than what the NCAA declares acceptable. They stated that they had not received the excessive benefits in the form of the reports that had been leaked. You stated that if any money had been received it was against the rules and if he knew he had accepted money he was knowingly putting UK in danger. Oh sorry to tell you, but this is not the rule. Some monetary compensation is allowed for foreign players, however it can't be deemed "excessive" by the NCAA. So how did Kanter know exactly if the NCAA was going to rule the money he took as excessive? Give me a break dude. Your posts do not contain the intellectual depth or integrity of that I would expect from you.

And I should add, this completely breaks my heart, and I am devastated! :eyeroll:
Stardust Wrote:Umm, the same number that hired them. If your school thinks they are unfair, then resign from the NCAA - right, who's to stop them. You don't like your job, no one can make you stay - You don't like your wife, No one can make you stay!

And what good does it do for a school to resign from the NCAA? How many other schools are upset due to this ruling? Every time the NCAA makes an unjust ruling how many schools do you think it upsets? Maybe you don't like your wife. She is controlling, jealous, and treats you unfairly, however she beats the alternative.
Stardust Wrote:And I should add, this completely breaks my heart, and I am devastated! :eyeroll:

My statement was completely off base and uncalled for. No reason to take personal shot at you as I just got heated in the debate.
Stardust Wrote:No, no, no, lets state the facts. At the very beginning of the inquiry, that resulted from the Turkish team blowing the whistle, the family of Enes said they took NOTHING! This is not whether he did or didn't, this is about what the integrity of the family did by saying they did not take anything. Then, after too much proof was available, they had to admit they took money. So, if the Turkish whistle-blower never said anything, do you think the family was ever going to ask UK if what they did was OK or not? If the answer would be no, then the family cared not what they did to the UK program. If you think they did, then why did UK not self report?

Can you give me a link showing where his family completely denied that ANY compensation was taken from the Turkish team. Because it was well know that while playing on the team some expenses were paid for.
Sad this stinks! I wanted to free Enes but I didnt want him that free
$33,000 over from what article said.
UK needs to call in the accounting/finance dept.'s and have them check and make sure the NCAA calcullated the euro to the dollar correctly (ha Ha!)
Westside Wrote:Eerie

What a surprise to find you commenting on this thread. I bet it broke your heart to see the news. :biggrin:

Dennis Klinci had to sit 20 games last year due to the NCAA. Klinci never took a dime.

goBIGblue82 Wrote:Can you give me a link showing where his family completely denied that ANY compensation was taken from the Turkish team. Because it was well know that while playing on the team some expenses were paid for.

I will look for it after the Friday football feast (at least I home my alma-mater is not feasted upon). I don't get what you are saying and will ask you to show me the same links that shows that it was reported that money was taken from the very beginning of the investigation, because that is not what was said. Dr. Kanter stated on that Enes not the family received any money or had expenses paid. As a matter of point, he said that his family paid the entire dime.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:My statement was completely off base and uncalled for. No reason to take personal shot at you as I just got heated in the debate.

No sweat here, I don't take anything personal, but love the role of the Heel!
I really don't think everyone should think this kills our chances at a great season or final four just because we lose a guy that has never played for us...look at Butler, or any other surprise team that has made it. We have a good team, with great promise.

I also don't think the crap about Cal doesn't care who he brings in as long as we win. Isn't that the point? Winning? It's not like he brings in players that are illegal or he knows that will be ineligible. I've always found it funny how people attack him for having great players that decide to leave after their freshman year. We win, I don't care if they stay for one year or 20 years, I just want to win.

No one on here should be hating on Coach Cal for this. The kid was ruled ineligible because of pro ball in Turkey. Big **** deal. We didn't and haven't done anything illegal.
vundy33 Wrote:I really don't think everyone should think this kills our chances at a great season or final four just because we lose a guy that has never played for us...look at Butler, or any other surprise team that has made it. We have a good team, with great promise.

I also don't think the crap about Cal doesn't care who he brings in as long as we win. Isn't that the point? Winning? It's not like he brings in players that are illegal or he knows that will be ineligible. I've always found it funny how people attack him for having great players that decide to leave after their freshman year. We win, I don't care if they stay for one year or 20 years, I just want to win.

No one on here should be hating on Coach Cal for this. The kid was ruled ineligible because of pro ball in Turkey. Big **** deal. We didn't and haven't done anything illegal.

Good post!

I hate Cal, and it is no secret to anyone on here, and my disdain for him goes back to the UK/UMass mini-rivalry (Can't stand him and never will)

BUT

Just as you say Vundy, I don't give a hoot what he does as long as he can find a way to win a National Championship (and Keep it). This Kanter situation shed no wrong-doing by UK.
Dusty, I think you're wrong on this one. No reason to hate on Kanter or Cal, and I am having a hard time why you want to do so.

Cal knew there was a chance Kanter wouldn't be able to play, and knew there was no risk at all for our program getting in trouble for anything, because we haven't done anything wrong.

Why are you acting like Cal is a villain or a bad guy?
Stardust Wrote:Good post!

I hate Cal, and it is no secret to anyone on here, and my disdain for him goes back to the UK/UMass mini-rivalry (Can't stand him and never will)

BUT

Just as you say Vundy, I don't give a hoot what he does as long as he can find a way to win a National Championship (and Keep it). This shed no wrong-doing by UK.

Ok, lol, that pretty much answers my question in my last post. haha.
vundy33 Wrote:Dusty, I think you're wrong on this one. No reason to hate on Kanter or Cal, and I am having a hard time why you want to do so.

Cal knew there was a chance Kanter wouldn't be able to play, and knew there was no risk at all for our program getting in trouble for anything, because we haven't done anything wrong.

Why are you acting like Cal is a villain or a bad guy?

Hunh????????????????????
vundy33 Wrote:Ok, lol, that pretty much answers my question in my last post. haha.

LOL :Thumbs: