Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kanter ruled ineligible
UK is to College Basketball as HC is HS Football
Can't say I didn't see this coming...but it sucks nonetheless.
I say Kanter sticks around, goes to his classes sparingly, and heads off to the association in next year's draft.
Stardust Wrote:Conspiracy theory hunh. And every single college President in the country will allow that hunh. Who is the NCAA - ohh, it's the governing body of the schools isn't it. There is no NCAA on it's own. Its the organization formed by the college presidents to be used to monitor collegiate athletics. And those schools have a choice if they want to belong to that governing body. I love how we think that the NCAA is the ruling body that's made to dictate rule. No, the NCAA is a governing body to dictate the rules that are outlined by the colleges! So, if it's the colleges that dictate the NCAA, then the NCAA really has no true jurisdiction, thus if the rest of the schools that have joined the NCAA felt that the NCAA was inconsistent in their rulings, then why are the rest of the schools, including the University of Kentucky not crying foul that the NCAA is being unfair with dUKe????

I didn't say anything about uk in my post. I said that Duke should be held to the same standards of other schools. including Umass, UNC, Kentucky. Every other school in the nation. But history tells us otherwise. Its not a conspiracy theory either. You know what happened. Everyone above the age of 17 knows the Maggette Issue.
This is very unfortunate, however I wouldnt say UK isn't a contender any more. This team is still a 10 top team in the nation, very young with not all the pressure last years young team had. Yes, we will struggle down low but hopefully Harrleson and Vargas will play big for us this season. This team actually can run the dribble drive offense and can shoot way better and that is why we lost last season to WV. I wish Kanter could have got eligible and it is sad news to all the UK fans.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I didn't say anything about uk in my post. I said that Duke should be held to the same standards of other schools. including Umass, UNC, Kentucky. Every other school in the nation. But history tells us otherwise. Its not a conspiracy theory either. You know what happened. Everyone above the age of 17 knows the Maggette Issue.

Make another thread to hate on Duke if you want.
I'll gladly stay away from it and let you vent with your buddies.
Let's keep this one about UK and Kanter Wink
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I didn't say anything about uk in my post. I said that Duke should be held to the same standards of other schools. including Umass, UNC, Kentucky. Every other school in the nation. But history tells us otherwise. Its not a conspiracy theory either. You know what happened. Everyone above the age of 17 knows the Maggette Issue.

You were specific in calling out the NCAA as unfair, yet if every other school in the country who dictates the NCAA's existence felt the same way, then there would be no NCAA. So it is complete nonsense that this NCAA goes about it's practices unchecked with no recourse. Bottom-line, the NCAA treats every incident with due process, and they do not show favoritism. If they showed favoritism, then they would still not be in existence for all the very schools that you must be inferring that they are not showing favoritism to!
Stardust Wrote:You were specific in calling out the NCAA as unfair, yet if every other school in the country who dictates the NCAA's existence felt the same way, then there would be no NCAA. So it is complete nonsense that this NCAA goes about it's practices unchecked with no recourse. Bottom-line, the NCAA treats every incident with due process, and they do not show favoritism. If they showed favoritism, then they would still not be in existence for all the very schools that you must be inferring that they are not showing favoritism to!

If they didn't show favoritism then why was they not penalized?
MVP2 Wrote:This is very unfortunate, however I wouldnt say UK isn't a contender any more. This team is still a 10 top team in the nation, very young with not all the pressure last years young team had. Yes, we will struggle down low but hopefully Harrleson and Vargas will play big for us this season. This team actually can run the dribble drive offense and can shoot way better and that is why we lost last season to WV. I wish Kanter could have got eligible and it is sad news to all the UK fans.

I think they still have a shot as well.
Anyone can put together 5 one-and-done Freshmen on a team and win a bunch of games.
It's the teams that have good leadership, hard-nosed players, a good coach, and a little bit of luck that win championships Wink
This team has a lot of those parts(you never can tell about luck) lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Make another thread to hate on Duke if you want.
I'll gladly stay away from it and let you vent with your buddies.
Let's keep this one about UK and Kanter Wink

The thread is about the NCAA declaring kanter ineligible. I am discussing The NCAA. I am not off subject.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:If they didn't show favoritism then why was they not penalized?

They were penalized.
Kanter was ruled ineligible.
That's what we're talking about on here, right?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The thread is about the NCAA declaring kanter ineligible. I am discussing The NCAA. I am not off subject.

Whether you think you are off-topic or not I'm going to point everything back to UK and Kenter :eyeroll:
zaga_fan Wrote:They were penalized.
That's what we're talking about on here, right?

How was they Penalized?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:If they didn't show favoritism then why was they not penalized?

If the NCAA showed favortism, then every college that put the NCAA in existence would have challenged them and FIRED them from collegiate sports management! C'mon, seriously - the NCAA works for the colleges, they are not in existence because they have any real power. This is the same in all sports - KHSAA-dictated by all the High Schools that are members; Major League Baseball Commissioner - hired by the owners of baseball; The Mayor of your community - voted in and out by YOU! They have no secret powers over anything other than what the schools allow them to have, and if it';s for the schools, then do you really think the presidents of the rest of the colleges in the country is going to let the NCAA CHEAT them??? Think about what we are saying! Everyone wants to give the NCAA more power than they really have - Please!
Stardust Wrote:If the NCAA showed favortism, then every college that put the NCAA in existence would have challenged them and FIRED them from collegiate sports management! C'mon, seriously - the NCAA works for the colleges, they are not in existence because they have any real power. This is the same in all sports - KHSAA-dictated by all the High Schools that are members; Major League Baseball Commissioner - hired by the owners of baseball; The Mayor of your community - voted in and out by YOU! They have no secret powers over anything other than what the schools allow them to have, and if it';s for the schools, then do you really think the presidents of the rest of the colleges in the country is going to let the NCAA CHEAT them??? Think about what we are saying! Everyone wants to give the NCAA more power than they really have - Please!

YOu completely talked around my question lol.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:How was they Penalized?

That's how they were penalized Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:Kanter was ruled ineligible.
That's how they were penalized Wink

I was talking about duke. I thought you was saying duke was penalized for playing an ineligible player.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:YOu completely talked around my question lol.

Your question was what? If it's the same question that you pose over and over about why wasn't dUKe penalized, then I have no idea! I guess it's the exact same reason why Cal can do the things he has done and not get penalized! Same thing!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I was talking about duke. I thought you was saying duke was penalized for playing an ineligible player.

Nope.
I'm just talking about the thread topic lol
There's no hope.
It's not fun without arguing off-topic haha
I'll brb
I have to get some stats for my argument Wink
Here's everything that went down Wink

April 1997 to August 1997: Kansas City summer basketball coach Myron Piggie makes cash payments to high school player Corey Maggette totaling $2,000.

Nov. 12, 1997: Maggette signs a national letter of intent with Duke.

October 1998 to March 1999: Maggette averages 10.6 points per game to help Duke (37-2) reach the national championship game, which Duke loses to Connecticut.

June 30, 1999: Maggette is selected 13th in the NBA draft.

April 13, 2000: A federal grand jury in Missouri hands down an 11-count indictment of Piggie, which details the payments to Maggette (along with players at three other schools). By NCAA statutes the payments compromise Maggette's amateur status. Maggette initially denies receiving any money.

April 18, 2000: The NCAA's Jane Jankowski says: "We will have to determine if Duke, in fact, had an ineligible player in the NCAA tournament. And, if so, what monies would have to be returned for use of an ineligible player."

May 23, 2000: Piggie works a plea bargain and admits making the payments.

July 12, 2000: Maggette comes clean and admits he received the cash from Piggie.

Spring 2001: Duke hands over all its information to the NCAA, according to John Burness, Duke's senior vice president for public affairs.
Here is some info about Kanter.

September 2010: Nedim Karakas, the general manager for Kanter’s team, Fenerbahce Ulker, said that Kanter and his family received more than $100,000 in salary and expenses over a three-year span.

November 2010: According to facts agreed to by the university and the NCAA Eligibility Center, Kanter received $33,033 more than his expenses for the 2008-09 season.
Here are a few math problems.
I worked em out with a calculator to make sure I was right Wink

100,000 - 33,033 = 66967 < evidently you can make this and be eligible.

K = 100,000
M = 2000

K > M

K = 50M
Jeez some of you are such hypocrites. Lets see everyone go back to the time they were 18 years old, jobless, and broke. Then let someone throw over $100,000, and $6000 a month at you and see how quick you all turn it down. You can play this "he broke the rules" crap all you want. Its simple, there isnt ONE single person on this site, or any other, that would have turned that much money down, living overseas, at 18 years of age. Not a single one. I hope Kanter becomes the best player in the NBA. Probably wont happen, but I like the kid. He done something that each and every one of us would have done, but being that this is a hypocritical society, will get blasted for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Jeez some of you are such hypocrites. Lets see everyone go back to the time they were 18 years old, jobless, and broke. Then let someone throw over $100,000, and $6000 a month at you and see how quick you all turn it down. You can play this "he broke the rules" crap all you want. Its simple, there isnt ONE single person on this site, or any other, that would have turned that much money down, living overseas, at 18 years of age. Not a single one. I hope Kanter becomes the best player in the NBA. Probably wont happen, but I like the kid. He done something that each and every one of us would have done, but being that this is a hypocritical society, will get blasted for it.

Gimme a break, buddy.
Throw me 100,000 dollars to play basketball and you bet your life I'll take it.
I don't know if I'd take the 2,000 from the crack dealer like Maggette did....
However, acting like I can get eligible to play in the NCAA after taking 6 figures in for a whole year is a whole different story.
I work week in and week out, overtime every week, get 2 weeks worth of days off for a year and I don't even clear 100,000 a year with my wife's earnings added in...
and I'm supposed to let some snot-nosed teenager over in Turkey who made 100,000 to play basketball for a few months out of the year come over here and act like he's done nothing wrong, get a paid education that he won't get any use out of, take a scholarship from a kid who deserves it, and then leave UK to make millions of dollars in the NBA and never look back.
Then I can't say anything about it because if I do I'm a hypocrite?!?!
Gimme a break....
20,0000 of that money according to mike decourcy was spent on school and the other 13,000 is in an account and hasn't been touched. The kanters offered to give the money back that was paid for school plus the 13 grand in that account and the ncaa wouldn't accept that. Kids get scholarships to prep school here in the U.S which is the same thing for kanter. The money was for school
zaga_fan Wrote:Gimme a break, buddy.
Throw me 100,000 dollars to play basketball and you bet your life I'll take it.
I don't know if I'd take the 2,000 from the crack dealer like Maggette did....
However, acting like I can get eligible to play in the NCAA after taking 6 figures in for a whole year is a whole different story.
I work week in and week out, overtime every week, get 2 weeks worth of days off for a year and I don't even clear 100,000 a year with my wife's earnings added in...
and I'm supposed to let some snot-nosed teenager over in Turkey who made 100,000 to play basketball for a few months out of the year come over here and act like he's done nothing wrong, get a paid education that he won't get any use out of, take a scholarship from a kid who deserves it, and then leave UK to make millions of dollars in the NBA and never look back.
Then I can't say anything about it because if I do I'm a hypocrite?!?!
Gimme a break....
Yeah, exactly what Im saying. If you were 18 years old, and someone was going to pay you $100k for playing a kids game, you would jump all over it. When you are 18, you arent thinking about taking a scholly from another kid (who's probably getting paid too). He didnt do anything wrong, and that paid education is a bunch of jargon. How many players off of last years UK team got a "paid education"? Paid education is for players like Jon Hood or someone with zero NBA future, not Enes Kanter, John Wall, Demarcus Cousins..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Superman20 Wrote:20,0000 of that money according to mike decourcy was spent on school and the other 13,000 is in an account and hasn't been touched. The kanters offered to give the money back that was paid for school plus the 13 grand in that account and the ncaa wouldn't accept that. Kids get scholarships to prep school here in the U.S which is the same thing for kanter. The money was for school
The NCAA picks and chooses who it wants to help. If Enes Kanter wanted to play at Iowa State or Minnesota, I would bet the farm that he'd be eligible. Face it UK fans, the NCAA knows that Calipari is a snake, and ANYTHING that even remotely looks fishy, will be fought and terminated by the NCAA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This is a bad situation, i am not saying taking the money was right, but if you were from where this kid was from and had the life he did over there im sure just about anybody would take it.
He's still a KID plain and simple and i believe he should be given the opportunity to play, even if it wasn't for UK.
If this would have been a kid in the states i would have looked at it totally different, but you're talking about a kid that could have seriously used an education, nba or not.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah, exactly what Im saying. If you were 18 years old, and someone was going to pay you $100k for playing a kids game, you would jump all over it. When you are 18, you arent thinking about taking a scholly from another kid (who's probably getting paid too). He didnt do anything wrong, and that paid education is a bunch of jargon. How many players off of last years UK team got a "paid education"? Paid education is for players like Jon Hood or someone with zero NBA future, not Enes Kanter, John Wall, Demarcus Cousins..

Nah...
when I was 18 I probably wouldn't be thinking about taking a scholarship from another kid.
But if I was from Turkey and was playing pro-ball I probably wouldn't consider playing college ball for free either.
The whole system is dirty and it makes college ball a joke.
I like my sports as much as anyone else.
Lebron James isn't worth 25Mill a year, but that's what he gets paid.
Lebron has had people with him since he was in High School that new as long as he kept bouncing that round ball they would see plenty of cash coming their way.
It's the same with Kanter.
He's probably got people around him telling him to do this and that, he's 18, he's stupid(as 90% of us were when we were 18), and he listened to em'.
However, those people didn't put a gun to his head and say he had to do it.
Right and Wrong is Black and White.
He knew what he was doing.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Jeez some of you are such hypocrites. Lets see everyone go back to the time they were 18 years old, jobless, and broke. Then let someone throw over $100,000, and $6000 a month at you and see how quick you all turn it down. You can play this "he broke the rules" crap all you want. Its simple, there isnt ONE single person on this site, or any other, that would have turned that much money down, living overseas, at 18 years of age. Not a single one. I hope Kanter becomes the best player in the NBA. Probably wont happen, but I like the kid. He done something that each and every one of us would have done, but being that this is a hypocritical society, will get blasted for it.

:Thumbs::Thumbs: Excatly What Im saying. I'd took it.
zaga_fan Wrote:Nah...
when I was 18 I probably wouldn't be thinking about taking a scholarship from another kid.
But if I was from Turkey and was playing pro-ball I probably wouldn't consider playing college ball for free either.
The whole system is dirty and it makes college ball a joke.
I like my sports as much as anyone else.
Lebron James isn't worth 25Mill a year, but that's what he gets paid.
Lebron has had people with him since he was in High School that new as long as he kept bouncing that round ball they would see plenty of cash coming their way.
It's the same with Kanter.
He's probably got people around him telling him to do this and that, he's 18, he's stupid(as 90% of us were when we were 18), and he listened to em'.
However, those people didn't put a gun to his head and say he had to do it.
Right and Wrong is Black and White.
He knew what he was doing.
Well, I WILL say that I agree with a lot of what you say..Im just saying that we'd all chase the money if we were 18 again. But heck man, I was slingin Coke on the shelves for $9/hr when I was 18, lol, so its easy for me to say...but I bet you'd agree with me when I say that Adam Morrison had the greatest 'stache of anybody in college basketball in 30 years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]