Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Tournament ...Well Done
I really thought the tournament was ran in a 1st class manner. Excellent job. I had a few questions. There were I believe 74 teams that started the tournament at $500 each, $37,000. There were approx. 62 games before semi-finals with each team having to sent in 20% of their gate. Lets guess low, $18,000. There were at least 15 corporate sponsors at i guess $500 to $1000 so lets say $10,000. Two days admission $7 a day, approx 3000 people, $21,000. Thats $86,000. Exactly where does this $$$ go? Trophies, T-shirts and officials cant cost more than $8000-$9000. Maybe Lex Cath charged $5000 to use field. Seems there should be approx. $70,000 left. Where does this go?
footballfever Wrote:I really thought the tournament was ran in a 1st class manner. Excellent job. I had a few questions. There were I believe 74 teams that started the tournament at $500 each, $37,000. There were approx. 62 games before semi-finals with each team having to sent in 20% of their gate. Lets guess low, $18,000. There were at least 15 corporate sponsors at i guess $500 to $1000 so lets say $10,000. Two days admission $7 a day, approx 3000 people, $21,000. Thats $86,000. Exactly where does this $$$ go? Trophies, T-shirts and officials cant cost more than $8000-$9000. Maybe Lex Cath charged $5000 to use field. Seems there should be approx. $70,000 left. Where does this go?

To pay those who spend all those countless hours watching film for All-State honors.......:lmao:
:lmao::blondetea
goBIGblue82 Wrote:To pay those who spend all those countless hours watching film for All-State honors.......:lmao:
This was a well run event..... alot of volunteers.....alot of hours spent......alot of organization.......I was just a coach......that didnt win the big game.....so I could be whinning....crying.....or seeking psychiatric help.........but instead.....I'm giving Corbin which handed it to us ( LC )....a two thumbs up for the great team and job they did ( someone always wins / someone always loses ). They say that every dog has its day ...and that was redhounds day ( smile ). I'm also very appreciative of being able to participate in the event. Sure there are always glitches....again, as they say...you cannot please everyone all the time!!!! ( as coaches we deal with alot of flack.....so when it comes to the KY Mid Assoc...we should stop the flack...make suggestions....stop whinning and be thankful ). If you were at the Awards ceramony and looked at all the kids, coaches , ball players and cheerleaders......and very proud parents.....there were alot of smiles!!!! This event created alot of recognition and joy that will be cherrished by many for life!!!! Put a price on that !!! Think thats priceless!!!
snipes8 Wrote:This was a well run event..... alot of volunteers.....alot of hours spent......alot of organization.......I was just a coach......that didnt win the big game.....so I could be whinning....crying.....or seeking psychiatric help.........but instead.....I'm giving Corbin which handed it to us ( LC )....a two thumbs up for the great team and job they did ( someone always wins / someone always loses ). They say that every dog has its day ...and that was redhounds day ( smile ). I'm also very appreciative of being able to participate in the event. Sure there are always glitches....again, as they say...you cannot please everyone all the time!!!! ( as coaches we deal with alot of flack.....so when it comes to the KY Mid Assoc...we should stop the flack...make suggestions....stop whinning and be thankful ). If you were at the Awards ceramony and looked at all the kids, coaches , ball players and cheerleaders......and very proud parents.....there were alot of smiles!!!! This event created alot of recognition and joy that will be cherrished by many for life!!!! Put a price on that !!! Think thats priceless!!!
I am a high school coach and my son played in the tournment and I think it was well done. great job!:Clap::worthy::1:
Again, Ithought everything was awesome. Still would like to know where all the $$$$ goes. I just dont think it's right to have approx. $70,000 unaccounted for.
Really dont think the where watching the videos that were sent in because we have some kids that got overlooked. but it is a good question and needs to be answered really or its going to be like everything else a money racket
footballfever Wrote:Again, Ithought everything was awesome. Still would like to know where all the $$$$ goes. I just dont think it's right to have approx. $70,000 unaccounted for.

:Thumbs:
Actually from Williamsburg so we didnt lose. Anyway was just wondering what the $$$ brought in from the tournament was used for. Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers or get into a name calling thing. Again was just curious as to what the $$$ was used for?
snipes8 Wrote:This was a well run event..... alot of volunteers.....alot of hours spent......alot of organization.......I was just a coach......that didnt win the big game.....so I could be whinning....crying.....or seeking psychiatric help.........but instead.....I'm giving Corbin which handed it to us ( LC )....a two thumbs up for the great team and job they did ( someone always wins / someone always loses ). They say that every dog has its day ...and that was redhounds day ( smile ). I'm also very appreciative of being able to participate in the event. Sure there are always glitches....again, as they say...you cannot please everyone all the time!!!! ( as coaches we deal with alot of flack.....so when it comes to the KY Mid Assoc...we should stop the flack...make suggestions....stop whinning and be thankful ). If you were at the Awards ceramony and looked at all the kids, coaches , ball players and cheerleaders......and very proud parents.....there were alot of smiles!!!! This event created alot of recognition and joy that will be cherrished by many for life!!!! Put a price on that !!! Think thats priceless!!!

This event did create alot of recognition and made many people happy. However, it also left many deserving kids unrecognized. Truth is the KYMSFA doesn't watch as much film as they say and they simply make uniformed judgements on the 1-2 games they watch in person.
To footballfever:

KYMSFA is a 501©(3) and reports all income and expenses through standard mechanisms. Also remember that KYMSFA does far more than just run this tournament. I believe the revenue from this event helps fund the other events.

As for awards - the problem with awards is that is always a close call and very, very difficult and deserving kids are always disappointed. At a state level 44 kids were honored 33 8th graders and 11th 7 graders. Without a doubt some of it came down 2 or 3 kids but only 1 slot. More film, more stats, more praise by coaches or parents probably would not have changed. Cases can always be made for why or why not, especially at this level.

The next chance for 8th graders to be honored will the East-West All Star game. Again, there are 100 slots but certainly more than 100 deserving kids - especially in the skill positions. It will be tough again to make the call of who gets invited and who is not. If anyone thinks these decisions do not come with knowing the disappointment involved - they have never been a coach or a league administrator.

Also remember the combine that will be held during the same weekend as the All-Star game. Even if not invited to participate in the game the combine will provide kids with a chance to see where they really rank using objective tools that the colleges and pros use.
Bluegrasscard Wrote:To footballfever:

KYMSFA is a 501©(3) and reports all income and expenses through standard mechanisms. Also remember that KYMSFA does far more than just run this tournament. I believe the revenue from this event helps fund the other events.

As for awards - the problem with awards is that is always a close call and very, very difficult and deserving kids are always disappointed. At a state level 44 kids were honored 33 8th graders and 11th 7 graders. Without a doubt some of it came down 2 or 3 kids but only 1 slot. More film, more stats, more praise by coaches or parents probably would not have changed. Cases can always be made for why or why not, especially at this level.

The next chance for 8th graders to be honored will the East-West All Star game. Again, there are 100 slots but certainly more than 100 deserving kids - especially in the skill positions. It will be tough again to make the call of who gets invited and who is not. If anyone thinks these decisions do not come with knowing the disappointment involved - they have never been a coach or a league administrator.

Also remember the combine that will be held during the same weekend as the All-Star game. Even if not invited to participate in the game the combine will provide kids with a chance to see where they really rank using objective tools that the colleges and pros use.

AGAIN I think the tournament was AWESOME...1ST class..still was kinda wondering where the $$$$ goes? I could be major wrong but it has to be APPROX. $70,000. Where is and what is it used for?
footballfever Wrote:AGAIN I think the tournament was AWESOME...1ST class..still was kinda wondering where the $$$$ goes? I could be major wrong but it has to be APPROX. $70,000. Where is and what is it used for?

I am sure the associate schools get details on this. Maybe ask them. They certainly have an interest.

But I think there are lot of missing cost in your numbers:

- Trophy number is low probably by at least 50% or more. Those resin team trophies and All State Trophies are not cheap.
- Referees (12 games, at least $200 a game) so there is (again at least) another $2,400.
- On-site trainers - at least another $2,000 or so.
- Travel expenses (hotel, meal, mileage, etc.) for referees and KYMSFA associate coaches and members. The referees that worked the final day were not local. I know the crew that did the 1st two games had a long drive.

Again, your school probably gets reports and as a 501 © (3) its all available somewhere.
Great atmosphere for all the kids involved
I ask the same question and was kind of put off for asking at the game. I think $7 was high at the gate and they also sold a lot of tee shirts and other things. Sounds like a big money maker for somebody! Also if this has nothing to do with the KHSAA like I was told at the game, HOW do they put titles on some kids calling them all state and make such a big deal out of it. I could put on a tournament and do the same. I assure you it may not show up on paper work but the money made was more than $70,000. I have put on many, many of these football tournaments and they are big money makers.I am not trying to take anything away from the "all state" kids, I just believe some were way over looked, Raceland came out good on their total numbers but One kid on that team should have got it over some others on their own team if you go by the years worth of accomplisments.. JEREMIAH 17:11 IS WHAT SOME NEED TO READ!
What kid would that be?
Here is the issue about all state and getting awards. 8th grade running backs alone- TOP RUNNING BACK. last year was the POWERS kid from Corbin so just 1 kid got all-state. 74 teams that started the tournament x 3 running backs per team= 222 running backs. Who gets seen more, the kid that runs for 2500 yards in league play or the Running back in the state championship game? Which means more? 2500 yards during the regular season or putting up 150 in a championship game. What if you have a GREAT game in the first round and you lose? What if you win by 50 and you share the wealth with all backs.
It comes down to this- to pick one kid from 222 running backs is tough, are you not going to get it 100% right, tough choice. WOULD YOU EVEN BE IN THIS SITUATION IF WAS NOT FOR THE KYMSFA?
As soon as some one starts to sit down and TRY to rationalize the POSSIBLE income money for something like this, people start freaking out about where did my money go?
1. KYMSFA charges everyone 50 dollars to join, not like KHSAA who charges depending on your school size.
2. Monies go toward ref's starting in the playoff games not just Champioonship weekend.
3. Monies collected also help operate the EAST-WEST ALLSTAR game in November.
4. KYMSFA is a 501C3 company and because they exist, these children (football and cheerleading) now have a chance to play for something other than Backyard Buddy football.

This organization has worked hard, long countless hours to get this to where it is today. This orgaization has also worked to get Kentucky kids recognized outside of the state with other organaizations. Like someone said in another forum, dont gripe about it volunteer to help and take the weight off of their shoulders by being more active.

It is easy to sit back and gripe and jump on the bandwagon by saying "yea, what he said" and harder to devote all year to helping and organization run to try to better the sport of football in Kentucky. With these kids playing this level of football at this age,they will only get better faster, which will hlep their chances at going to to school for free later in life.
I agree with alot of what you say. Ref's pay for playoff games before semi's come from gate of home team. Home team takes out expenses then home gets 40%, guest get 40% and KYMSFA gets 20%. I know its a 501c3 but there is still no answer as to where the extra $$ goes.
A great job by all of those involved. Well organized, decent parking, the way the gate was set up with a pass in stamp, souvenir stand access, and concession stand were all top rate.

My only complaint; At the conclusion of the last game before the awards on Saturday night, the field was full of parents and fans from the vistors side, and they remained on the field throughout the ceremony. Only players, coaches and cheerleaders should have been on that field.

This is not only a fairness issue, but it devalues the accomplishments of all of the students on the field. It is also a security issues if some nefarious individual happened to be in the crowd and see this as an opportunity
Ram-Fan Wrote:Here is the issue about all state and getting awards. 8th grade running backs alone- TOP RUNNING BACK. last year was the POWERS kid from Corbin so just 1 kid got all-state. 74 teams that started the tournament x 3 running backs per team= 222 running backs. Who gets seen more, the kid that runs for 2500 yards in league play or the Running back in the state championship game? Which means more? 2500 yards during the regular season or putting up 150 in a championship game. What if you have a GREAT game in the first round and you lose? What if you win by 50 and you share the wealth with all backs.
It comes down to this- to pick one kid from 222 running backs is tough, are you not going to get it 100% right, tough choice. WOULD YOU EVEN BE IN THIS SITUATION IF WAS NOT FOR THE KYMSFA?
As soon as some one starts to sit down and TRY to rationalize the POSSIBLE income money for something like this, people start freaking out about where did my money go?
1. KYMSFA charges everyone 50 dollars to join, not like KHSAA who charges depending on your school size.
2. Monies go toward ref's starting in the playoff games not just Champioonship weekend.
3. Monies collected also help operate the EAST-WEST ALLSTAR game in November.
4. KYMSFA is a 501C3 company and because they exist, these children (football and cheerleading) now have a chance to play for something other than Backyard Buddy football.

This organization has worked hard, long countless hours to get this to where it is today. This orgaization has also worked to get Kentucky kids recognized outside of the state with other organaizations. Like someone said in another forum, dont gripe about it volunteer to help and take the weight off of their shoulders by being more active.

It is easy to sit back and gripe and jump on the bandwagon by saying "yea, what he said" and harder to devote all year to helping and organization run to try to better the sport of football in Kentucky. With these kids playing this level of football at this age,they will only get better faster, which will hlep their chances at going to to school for free later in life.
The all-state team is my concern. I know it is tough to pick 1 running back from 222 but a football team has 3. So should the all-state team. There should be 22 players on each division all-state team, just like a regular football team. I have never understood the concept of 12 man all-state team which prohibits 10 kids from each division from being deservedly honored.
Great point, papwron, maybe they can hear this from someone and do a complete team like this.
FIRST TEAM:
all offesne and defense position.

Second team all state too for another listed 44 kids. PLus a punter and kicker for offense and 2 athletes for defense with KR, and PR.

Top 50 kids would be recognized. That is something to think about.
Ram-Fan Wrote:Great point, papwron, maybe they can hear this from someone and do a complete team like this.
FIRST TEAM:
all offesne and defense position.

Second team all state too for another listed 44 kids. PLus a punter and kicker for offense and 2 athletes for defense with KR, and PR.

Top 50 kids would be recognized. That is something to think about.

That is an excellent suggestion. Hopefully something the powers that be will think about for next year. I would point out that there were probably not 222 running backs to choose from as each team was limited to nominating 5 players and it is unlikely 3 running backs were nominated from every team. The point remains the same though, there were a lot more kids nominated than there were positions to be filled. One idea I would like to see is expanding the voters. As someone stated earlier, it's impossible for the organizers to watch every player in person during the season and going off stats and only a short highlight video is not enough to overcome their natural bias of favoring the kids and teams they are more familiar with. Several players from good teams may not have the stats because they are in a lot of blowouts and don't play the whole game. We had games this year where the starters were pulled after the first quarter, so stats don't show the whole story. If all the coaches voted but not on their own team maybe it would be more spread out through the state and not just on a few teams that have a history of being good.
Is there a list somewhere of all of the kids that made all state this year. If someone has it did anybody from meade county make that list?
hawg laig Wrote:My only complaint; At the conclusion of the last game before the awards on Saturday night, the field was full of parents and fans from the vistors side, and they remained on the field throughout the ceremony. Only players, coaches and cheerleaders should have been on that field.

This is not only a fairness issue, but it devalues the accomplishments of all of the students on the field. It is also a security issues if some nefarious individual happened to be in the crowd and see this as an opportunity

Fair comments. This single awards ceremony for all 16 teams was a 'first' this year. Last 2 years it was done after each Championship game. Basically that was impossible to do with 4 games on Sunday. Also, it gave the losing teams something to cheer for before heading home.

But logistics were difficult, and at the middle school level I have found most parents are used to getting right on the field any time without restriction. I can say lessons were learned. Should be better in future years.
Still the question--what is the extra money used for. So far, the answer has only been "other events" but the only "other events" mentioned is all-star weekend.

I think you're doing a good job, but again, a lot of money is changing hands. Where is it and what is it being used for?

My school is a member of the KYMSFA and I would love to get a copy of an expense sheet. Where do I get it?
Joker's Wild Wrote:Still the question--what is the extra money used for. So far, the answer has only been "other events" but the only "other events" mentioned is all-star weekend.

I think you're doing a good job, but again, a lot of money is changing hands. Where is it and what is it being used for?

My school is a member of the KYMSFA and I would love to get a copy of an expense sheet. Where do I get it?

Doesnt matter where it went.The KHSAA will get wind of this and take it over.I bet they will incorporate all middle school activities within the KHSAA.There is no way they will let this amount of money pass them by.So who ever is getting the money get alot and get it quick!
That was a class A tournament production!
This tourny was very well done.I really enjoyed our weekend in Lex.I know our kids did aswell.I big thanks is in order for all the staff!