Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold backs- Good or bad and why?
Newjacket Wrote:I will weigh in by saying I know a few kids that have been held back whether it be for sports, academics, or maturity and they all have benefited. There is no longer any stigma associated with this. The kids prosper and become more confident in everything they do. I have not held mine back as never thought there was a reason too, but I am considering it for next year just because I can see the benefits, especially from a maturity stand point. Every kid is different and I believe this is a decision the child and their parents should come to together.

I'm an 8th grader, but I happen to be a 7th grade hold-back and, in my opinion, I've benefited greatly from it. In our area, all the schools around us have teams that have all been held back in early grades, so for us, we were always competing against kids a year older than we were. After we stayed back, we've not only competitively played with teams like North Laurel, South Laurel, Corbin, and Whitley County, we've beat every one.
On the flip-side, I've also made a TON of new friends that I would have never had if I had not stayed back.

If you're debating on it, go for it. You won't regret it.
jacketspost10 Wrote:I'm an 8th grader, but I happen to be a 7th grade hold-back and, in my opinion, I've benefited greatly from it. In our area, all the schools around us have teams that have all been held back in early grades, so for us, we were always competing against kids a year older than we were. After we stayed back, we've not only competitively played with teams like North Laurel, South Laurel, Corbin, and Whitley County, we've beat every one.
On the flip-side, I've also made a TON of new friends that I would have never had if I had not stayed back.

If you're debating on it, go for it. You won't regret it.

I have a daughter who could have been held back going into kindergarden due to late Sept. birthday. Socially and academically she was ready and the decision was made to not hold her back. She is now a 6th grader and participates on the high schools varsity team. She is still very small and physically behind kids in her class. Yes, holding her back would have given her a huge help with athletics, but academics have to come first and she is right where she needs to be. Sad to think people value athletics over academcis.
sstack Wrote:I have a daughter who could have been held back going into kindergarden due to late Sept. birthday. Socially and academically she was ready and the decision was made to not hold her back. She is now a 6th grader and participates on the high schools varsity team. She is still very small and physically behind kids in her class. Yes, holding her back would have given her a huge help with athletics, but academics have to come first and she is right where she needs to be. Sad to think people value athletics over academcis.

Not just Athletics. Maturity as well. How does holding a child back hurt Acadmeics? It doesn't, it actually helps their development.

I know plenty of former students who regret not starting later or being held back. I have never meet anyone who regreted being held back.
Why do you assume people value athletics over academics? My "hold back" is not only a good athlete, he is also at the top of his class and on the academic team. Just because they repeat a grade doesn't mean you erase everything they have learned. We have not ever tried to use the holdback status to gain athletic advantage as he has always "played up" with older kids. They grow up quick enough and it will be one more year at my house. If it is going to be allowed, in most cases your child is at a disadvantage to not holdback as he/she will always be competing against older/stronger kids. I do not think that repeating a grade has hurt him as a student (straight A's and Academic Team):Thumbs:
Catfan09 Wrote:Why do you assume people value athletics over academics? My "hold back" is not only a good athlete, he is also at the top of his class and on the academic team. Just because they repeat a grade doesn't mean you erase everything they have learned. We have not ever tried to use the holdback status to gain athletic advantage as he has always "played up" with older kids. They grow up quick enough and it will be one more year at my house. If it is going to be allowed, in most cases your child is at a disadvantage to not holdback as he/she will always be competing against older/stronger kids. I do not think that repeating a grade has hurt him as a student (straight A's and Academic Team):Thumbs:

:Clap:I agree with you Catfan09. My wife was not so hot on the idea of my son holding back in the 5th grade but when I told her that he would be in our house for 1 more year the idea seemed good to her. That's one more year we get to live with our son and everything has been positive with his academics and social behavior.
sstack Wrote:I have a daughter who could have been held back going into kindergarden due to late Sept. birthday. Socially and academically she was ready and the decision was made to not hold her back. She is now a 6th grader and participates on the high schools varsity team. She is still very small and physically behind kids in her class. Yes, holding her back would have given her a huge help with athletics, but academics have to come first and she is right where she needs to be. Sad to think people value athletics over academcis.

Academics is not a problem with me. I'm a straight "A" student. I've never made anything lower than an "A". I think my chances of getting into a good college have gone up significantly because of my academics and also athletic achievement. I don't see it as a problem.
If you can do somthing that might help, your child get a better start in life . Ifeel keeping them back in school is worth it.
There is no right or wrong answer on this matter. You have to learn to agree to disagree.
It is the parents ultimate decision, but I heard an announcement Sunday at the State Championship games that they wanted to wish So and So a happy birthday today, he just turned 15, I dont know if this kid was playing in the 7th grade game or not but if he was,thats a little excessive to me.
It would also be against the rules.
Old Redhound Wrote:It would also be against the rules.

8th 14-15
Fr 15-16
So 16-17
Jr 17-18
Sr 18-19

Since he would of turned 15 after Aug 1 and following the math above he is not against the rules. Now get 5 or 6 of those kids maybe more on a team and now you have a freshman team almost playing in a MS playoffs.

I don't see the post now but there was a post in the thread that was basically stating the kids were held back to obtain an athletic advantage. That they were well aware it gave them an athletic advantage. That other teams started to do it in the area. Now that is a bit much. It isn't like people in the area all of a sudden figured out that holding back their child had academic, and social upsides. Teams started to do it to level the playing field.
That is essentially the point of this discussion, having an even playing field. With the current rules you will always have those schools/parents that hold kids back to gain an advantage. What are the rest of the schools/parents supposed to do, let their 12/13 year olds go out and get pounded by older kids. There may be some younger kids that will accept the challenge and come out better kids and players because of it but most will get discouraged and end up either quitting or never reaching their true potential.
Very good post newjacket. A few years ago Pike Co had a rule that MS students could not repeat a year and play sports. This changed when certain people pointed out the fact that our teams could not compete with other counties teams unless we did so. The rule changed. 99% of holdbacks are to play sports. In my 30+ years teaching I saw some kids helped by, some hurt by holding back. I think they should reinstate the old rule which stated once you enter the 7th grade you have 6 years of eligibilty. Then if you want to hold back you must do so before being on a MS team.
Whether anyone agrees or disagrees...its the parents and childs decision. Period!
excyter21 Wrote:Whether anyone agrees or disagrees...its the parents and childs decision. Period!

And it is the school's, conferences and KYMSFA choice if the student can play football or in the state playoffs.
I held my son who is now a junior back in 6th grade..after 2 years of debating the issue and with assistance of guidance counselors. He was about 5ft and weighed 70 pounds and had very low self esteem During his 5th grade year.. he had over 40 zeros and but still had average grades. I held him back in 6th grade ..and sure at this point at this size it was a joke if any one thought it was football related. He was not happy at first.. but he flourished with the change he became confident and a leader in his class because he was older.. his birthday is in May with the school cut off date being Oct 1. He will turn 19 in May of his Senior year and graduate the same month. He also grew and is an excellent athlete as well.. now at 6'0 and about 180 he is also a heck of ball player for LC. Teachers since then have told me this was such a good decision and how much it helped him mature. Parents look at your kids and make decisions based on what they are telling you with grades, actions, esteem issues etc. I do think though as as been common on some of the schools allowing students to hold back for 2 years his too much. That seems as if only for athletics and creates many social issues when you have a young man approaching 20 his senior year of high school and with much younger kids in same school as young as 14. Just my opinion in our situation.. it gave me a mature young man I am very proud of.
barrel Wrote:And it is the school's, conferences and KYMSFA choice if the student can play football or in the state playoffs.
In Kentucky a boy cannot be 9 on August 1st of senior year and play all 4 years of a varisty sport. I don't this if this is still same.
19 is what you are referring to and you are correct but we are not talking about HS. In your sons case I think it was an excellent idea. With such a late birthday if you could of it might of been a good idea to start him late.

The issue is in some areas they hold back the kids to stack the team. A coach stated in this thread before the post was removed that they did this. That I have an issue with. So if they want to do it fine. Kid can play all season but not in the playoffs if he is repeating.
How old will she be when she graduates and goes off to college? It is not always a good thing to send a 17 year old off to college. Common in rural Ky to have to use 6th graders in order to field a high school team.
ballfan87 Wrote:In Kentucky a boy cannot be 9 on August 1st of senior year and play all 4 years of a varisty sport. I don't this if this is still same.
Sorry 19 before August 1 ....
IO

I have a daughter who was 17 when she graduated with a late Sept birthday as well. Her grades were perfect 4.0 even in College. She did also participate in college atheletics. And although a perfect GPA.. there were many social problems. Due to atheletics.. she had to be drug tested and to go on sports events with her team.. we had to sign permission slips just like in high school. As we all know the college atmosphere brings together many varying age groups... ie.. parties, alcohol. hanging out with wrong crowd, etc.. it was a very bad move. Although a 4.0 smart girl, she was not yet ready to be out in the "real world" She wishes greatly she had been held back
ballfan87 Wrote:IO

I have a daughter who was 17 when she graduated with a late Sept birthday as well. Her grades were perfect 4.0 even in College. She did also participate in college atheletics. And although a perfect GPA.. there were many social problems. Due to atheletics.. she had to be drug tested and to go on sports events with her team.. we had to sign permission slips just like in high school. As we all know the college atmosphere brings together many varying age groups... ie.. parties, alcohol. hanging out with wrong crowd, etc.. it was a very bad move. Although a 4.0 smart girl, she was not yet ready to be out in the "real world" She wishes greatly she had been held back

Many do not realize this. If you are sending a child off to college at 17, it is too young.
When my son is born he will either start Kindergarten a year later or I will hold him back in Elementary school. Why not take every advantage you are offered.
I think one year is very good but when you hold kids back two years something is very wrong with that.. For 1, you take other people spots and those other kids whose parents will not hold their sons back, and if they are 7th graders but should be 9th graders and they should dominate something is wrong.....
I have read every thread in this posting and there are some really good points. I was a hold back in the 8th grade. I was beyond mad when my parents made the decision that year, I was 13 and in the top 10 of my class academically and all my friends were going on to high school. I got over it quickly as most teenagers do. Four years later, I thanked my parents for having the courage to go against what everyone was telling them to do and against my wishes. I was NOT ready to go to college and thankfully I had another year to mature on and off the court. I graduated in the top 3% of my class and went on to get a full athletic and academic scholarship. "Too young" should be determined by the family as long as it falls within the rules, let them play.

I am faced with a similar decision now with my own children, my child is 10 and in 5th grade and we want to hold her back but the school is fighting hard against me. I have heard that we don't have the final say, that the school board has the final say about our decision. If anyone has any help for me, I would greatly appreciate it!! I have a meeting with the principal next week.

I have heard several people say, "wow, looking back, I should have held little Johnny back". I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard it reversed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying that I have never heard that "I wished I hadn't given little Johnny an extra year under my roof."
Watching the KYMSFA ALlstar Game and seeing 15 year old kids with full beards playing against 13 year old kids all in the same grade, my thoughts are this.
There will always be an advantage to holding your kid back, academics/athletics, it does not matter, if the child benefits in the long run, why not do it! OH and my kid does nto have a beard but some of the others did...But they were better than my son!
With the amount of hold backs out there,I think if a kid is going to compete at a high level he almost has to be held back.The amount of maturity that takes place from 17 to 18 is amazing for some kids.If a kid matures early like alot do then it doesnt matter most kids will catch up.
I sit on the fence with this topic. First I can see the good helping a kid mature and if it can help them with a college career I'm all for it. BUT I can also see where a kid is used to being better in middle school because he is bigger then most of the other players so he doesn't have to try that hard and it becomes a habit and once he gets to high school things aren't as easy they get discouraged and have to be rewired to work hard.
I don't think holdbacks are the greatest thing in the world....
but if you're kid possibly has a chance at getting a scholarship to play in a sport you might as well make the most of it.
I think it's a BAD idea to hold a kid back solely for sports. If it's for educational reasons that should be fine, but if a child is not showing academic struggles then holding back the student should NOT be allowed.