Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell Co. 54 Grant Co. 14
Great win, but Bell needed a game like this got to play some young players
54! wow
CatBlue Wrote:Great win, but Bell needed a game like this got to play some young players

Congrats Bell co. BTW will your big running back #32 be back this year for the playoffs?
Bell really dropped some wood on Grant today. The young kids really got to play alot today. Does anybody know when the playoffs start?
He could possibly be back for the playoffs if his doctor releases him. He will be 9 weeks post surgery at that time.
I believe the 1st playoff games are October 16th.
ILiveForHim Wrote:I believe the 1st playoff games are October 16th.

I certainly hope he has speedy recovery but if he is as good as I'm reading on this site then I hope he doenst comeback too early. Middle school seems huge now but when Dudley gets him next year he will not be sorry if he had to miss the playoffs, if that is what happens.
Don't be surprised that next year when Lex Cath plays Bell most of that team will be back. That includes 32.
barrel Wrote:Don't be surprised that next year when Lex Cath plays Bell most of that team will be back. That includes 32.

That goes both ways too J. Half of our starters are 7th graders also. One good thing for me is that since my son is an 8th grader I won't have to make that perilous journey to Bobcat land next year.
barrel Wrote:Don't be surprised that next year when Lex Cath plays Bell most of that team will be back. That includes 32.

Is 32 just a 7th grader or going to hold back?
#32 is an 8th grader. He just turned 14 in August.
Which means he could be in the 8th grade again and still play his Sr unless I am doing the math wrong. He would enter his Sr 18 and turn 19 past the Aug cut off date.
barrel Wrote:Which means he could be in the 8th grade again and still play his Sr unless I am doing the math wrong. He would enter his Sr 18 and turn 19 past the Aug cut off date.

Your math is correct on the age limit, but if plans on holding back next year and he is in the 8th grade now, he would have to fail the 8th grade this year legitimately or have his parents pull him out of 8th grade now and put him back in 7th grade. If a child passes the 8th grade he cannot repeat the 8th grade again without penality of losing a year of eligibility in high school. At least that was what the KHSAA rep. told me 2yrs ago.
they can't repeat 8th if they compete in high school athletics. You can't repeat any year in varsity athletics. You can hold back in 8th but it has to be a principal's decision because of maturity or grades.
Bell has some really good 8th graders who will see some good playing time next year at the high school level. Cant wait! Bell Co just reloads!!
knighted Wrote:Your math is correct on the age limit, but if plans on holding back next year and he is in the 8th grade now, he would have to fail the 8th grade this year legitimately or have his parents pull him out of 8th grade now and put him back in 7th grade. If a child passes the 8th grade he cannot repeat the 8th grade again without penality of losing a year of eligibility in high school. At least that was what the KHSAA rep. told me 2yrs ago.

There are ways around it. It could be questioned whether or not it's moral or ethical, but IMO I believe that it should be up to the parent's whether or not they hold their child back. I don't think a child should be able to participate at the same grade level two years in a row. But, if you want to hold your child back and he/she falls under the age requirements for eligibility their senior year I think it should be the parents decision.
RichBrooks Wrote:they can't repeat 8th if they compete in high school athletics. You can't repeat any year in varsity athletics. You can hold back in 8th but it has to be a principal's decision because of maturity or grades.

This is about 99% of how I understand it. The part I think might be incorrect is I believe it is a district by district policy on if you can retain a student past an issue of grades.

As far as this year's 8th graders getting playing time next year on the varisty goes I am not sure about that. I am sure they will get some special teams work and maybe a little spot duty. From what I was told Hilton does not like to play players early to give them time to develop. I have also heard that there are very few 8th graders on the 8th grade team that are starting. Most of that team is 7th graders.
ILiveForHim Wrote:#32 is an 8th grader. He just turned 14 in August.

Wrong he is a 7th grader.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Wrong he is a 7th grader.

In that case, if my math skills are still functional, he would turn 15 in August of his 7th grade next year if he repeats again. That also means he would turn "20" in August of his SR year. I'm not so sure that will work.. Or will it? I thought you couldn't be 19 before Aug 1st on your SR year.
You can not turn 19 before Aug first and play your Sr year. You can turn 19 after Aug 1st and play your Sr year.
Why would u want to hold back a kid if they are talented enough to go play high school?
He is in the 8th grade at Page School Center. He turned 14 in August. I know.
BM82 Wrote:Why would u want to hold back a kid if they are talented enough to go play high school?

I assume the smile means you know why some kids stay back even when talented. Also just because the kid is in the 8th grade does not mean he will be a freshman next year. Maybe he will be and maybe he wont.