Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it true?
Greenup High school coach being turned into KHSAA for forcing 8th graders to play freshman ball against thier will. Heard the Jr. high coach quit and they cancelled thier games.
I doubt it. How could you force a students to do anything? Also how would that be a concern of KHSAA? Don't sound right to me. 8th graders can play as long as they don't compete against JR's.
I heard yesterday Bruce is no longer 7th and 8th grade coach. Both teams now have seperate coaches who were already involved with these teams. Greenup County 7th & 8th plays Boyd County tonight at home and the season will go on as usual as far as i am aware.

I know nothing about this being turned in to the KHSAA.

My son has been playing both 8th grade and freshman games voluntarily and we really haven't had any issues.
just heard about it. wanted some confirmation or a clearer view of what is happening down at shangrila.
Not sure how KHSAA has much governance over kids not in high school.
Get a longer stick if you're gonna stir from that far away.
Not stirring. Just asking. We have 8th graders playing freshman in Ram land as well. Coach asks them if they want to play and they say yes or no....end of story. They wouldn't be playing at all if we didn't have so many freshman playing varsity.
And not play 4 games in a week.
ManofGOD Wrote:And not play 4 games in a week.

That would be my concern. even at the younger levels these kids get pretty beat up. I don't know if I would want my child playing 3 to 4 times a week. I guess I would ask him how he feels phisically before letting him do it.
I dont know any 8th grader that when asked to come up and play freshman ball would say NO. That seems like a loaded question. Do I say yes and play,or say NO and have that coach possibly overlook me in the future. Looking at next year as a freshman would I want the same coach to look at me everyday with him knowing I did not want to play?
Tough Call!!
ManofGOD Wrote:I dont know any 8th grader that when asked to come up and play freshman ball would say NO. That seems like a loaded question. Do I say yes and play,or say NO and have that coach possibly overlook me in the future. Looking at next year as a freshman would I want the same coach to look at me everyday with him knowing I did not want to play?
Tough Call!!

To me.....it doesn't matter what the coach thinks or what my son thinks. I will ask him how he feels physically if he doesn't look or feel well physically to me.....I will make the decision for him.
Understand that but if a coach asked your son to play during school and you were not around, his friends were there with him when the coach asked, I am sure he would say yes! (Not saying that this has happened just a situaion) You are correct about your decision, it is every parents ultimate decision on what their child does. Thats the beauty of being THAT players parent. Only a parent can prevent USE/ABUSE to a younger player. Once again I say, you are correct.
ManofGOD Wrote:Understand that but if a coach asked your son to play during school and you were not around, his friends were there with him when the coach asked, I am sure he would say yes! (Not saying that this has happened just a situaion) You are correct about your decision, it is every parents ultimate decision on what their child does. Thats the beauty of being THAT players parent. Only a parent can prevent USE/ABUSE to a younger player. Once again I say, you are correct.

I'm sure he would say yes as well. One thing that helps me is that I'm not a football junkie like a lot of these people are. Don't get me wrong....i like football but i don't live and die with it......escpecially at the Jr. high level. I think the Jr. high coaches main resposibilities should be too teach the basics and make sure the kids enjoy the game and keep playing. Something i think our coaches do a good job of.
Lance Warnock is now the 8th grade coach and Dan Wright the 7th grade coach. Noone is FORCED to play football. If you don't like it, can't handle it, etc. then you can always quit! There was only a one week period where the 8th grade team had two games and the Freshman team had 2 games so SOME boys played 4 times. This is a rare event and not the norm. Playing 2 games a week will be the norm for these boys as Freshman would play both freshman and JV games each week. (And dress for Varsity)

Some parents in Greenup wanted to try and tell the Head Coach how to run the program. Well, if you know Copley, he does not bow to parent pressure. Greenup has had to many coaches in the past that were to worried about what mommy and daddy thought to be an effective coach. Copley is not one of them!

Bruce Hunt was a good man and an asset to the program. He chose to die on his sword for a FEW parents. These are the same ones giving Greenup a big black eye on trashy sites like TOPIX. They are the same ones who really don't understand the rules governing football and that calling the KHSAA is pointless. The rules state that 8th graders can play freshman football as long as there are no juniors playing on either side of the ball.

The team has moved on...the games are still being played. Get over it!
Musketeer Wrote:Lance Warnock is now the 8th grade coach and Dan Wright the 7th grade coach. Noone is FORCED to play football. If you don't like it, can't handle it, etc. then you can always quit! There was only a one week period where the 8th grade team had two games and the Freshman team had 2 games so SOME boys played 4 times. This is a rare event and not the norm. Playing 2 games a week will be the norm for these boys as Freshman would play both freshman and JV games each week. (And dress for Varsity)

Some parents in Greenup wanted to try and tell the Head Coach how to run the program. Well, if you know Copley, he does not bow to parent pressure. Greenup has had to many coaches in the past that were to worried about what mommy and daddy thought to be an effective coach. Copley is not one of them!

Bruce Hunt was a good man and an asset to the program. He chose to die on his sword for a FEW parents. These are the same ones giving Greenup a big black eye on trashy sites like TOPIX. They are the same ones who really don't understand the rulegoverning football and that calling the KHSAA is pointless. The rules state that 8th graders can play freshman football as long as there are no juniors playing on either side of the ball.

The team has moved on...the games are still being played. Get over it!
wow. And now you know the rest of the story...Nice post and congrats to copley on not bowing to the parents, this is exactly what GC football needs. Bruce was a good coach, but ur not gonna miss a beat with Warnock either. I hate that Bruce is gone but I think he brought in a good replacement in Warnock. Hope it all works out.
When did Freshmen start playing 2 times a week? not in NKY if your saying 1 varsity game and one Freshmen game than i see.If you have to count on Freshmen for varsity than your probably not that good.
I know for a fact that Copley Told a couple kids they had no choice to play, told them to play or be a _ _ssy and turn their crap in, said, they wouldn't need a weak kid like on the 8th grade team. These are facts, I posted this trouble 8-10 days ago. I really hate for the kids because it is jr.high ball and if they say together it will be a strong team of the future. Un-like Kosar's thinking, let the head coach run them off, it shouldn't have came to that in the schedule situation to begin with. Point blank he's a jerk and doesn't plan on staying to long. Afraid to sign a new contract with Raceland proves that!
The GC soap opera continues..................

Stay tuned folks. It never changes.
FBALL Wrote:The GC soap opera continues..................

Stay tuned folks. It never changes.

I have my DVR set to record all posts that have to do with GC, Russell or Raceland. You NEKC teams have passion on and off the field for sure.:Thumbs:
that's right Wrote:I know for a fact that Copley Told a couple kids they had no choice to play, told them to play or be a _ _ssy and turn their crap in, said, they wouldn't need a weak kid like on the 8th grade team. These are facts, I posted this trouble 8-10 days ago. I really hate for the kids because it is jr.high ball and if they say together it will be a strong team of the future. Un-like Kosar's thinking, let the head coach run them off, it shouldn't have came to that in the schedule situation to begin with. Point blank he's a jerk and doesn't plan on staying to long. Afraid to sign a new contract with Raceland proves that!

Of course they have a choice...did he come to their house and force them into the car and drive them to the high school and force the uniform on them? GET REAL! I can't believe that the kids would not want to play up to the next level and believe it is more a parent issue. And if a Coach calling your kid a few names is enough to make them want to turn tail and run home to mommy and daddy crying then FOOTBALL is not the game for them!
Where do they find you people at down there??? Why would the coach be calling kids names? If he does do that he's a JackA$$!!.....and not much of a coach. He should be coaching.....not engaging in propoganda and espionage. Call my kid a few names a see what happens.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Where do they find you people at down there??? Why would the coach be calling kids names? If he does do that he's a JackA$$!!.....and not much of a coach. He should be coaching.....not engaging in propoganda and espionage. Call my kid a few names a see what happens.

Amen brother.
I can understand a parent being upset if their child was singled out for harsh language (to a point.) BUT the comment was directed at an entire group. "Don't be "wusses" (insert whatever) Man up, play hard...etc. Not everything a coach says in a locker room is PC. I have been around football for 30+ years and have seen a wide variety of coaches...the soft spoken "buddy" types to the hard *"butts". Each type has its good points.

This situation has been blown completely out of proportion and it is the kids who have been affected the most by the parents grumbling and bad mouthing of the coaching staff and program in general.
Musketeer Wrote:I can understand a parent being upset if their child was singled out for harsh language (to a point.) BUT the comment was directed at an entire group. "Don't be "wusses" (insert whatever) Man up, play hard...etc. Not everything a coach says in a locker room is PC. I have been around football for 30+ years and have seen a wide variety of coaches...the soft spoken "buddy" types to the hard *"butts". Each type has its good points.

This situation has been blown completely out of proportion and it is the kids who have been affected the most by the parents grumbling and bad mouthing of the coaching staff and program in general.

I agree to a point but the if you don't like it you can transfer to another school remark was a little much. These kids are his future and ours I hope they stay together and keep playing football. I believe there are around 18 8th graders I dont see that many next year.
Should the head coach talk to the parents before a decision is made about playing up? Communication is a key for any head coach.
Not possible to FORCE kids to play