Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Kanter took cash
this is on espn.com
I'd say you can kiss Kanter goodbye.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/sports...ref=sports
This sucks... let's see how things play out over the next several days.
Im hoping that the GM from Turkey is lying. I know they didn't want him coming to the US.
The chickens are coming home to roost for UK and Cal.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:The chickens are coming home to roost for UK and Cal.

The guy that got this whole article started isn't that trustworthy of a reporter. Pete Thamel is the source for the information for these articles. The GM for that team in Turkey will lose a lot of money if Kanter gets to play college bball and will do whatever it takes to try to make him ineligible. Dont forget this is the same great source that basically lied about Eric Bledsoe a few months ago. Im not worried about it now that I know Pete Thamel was behind all of this.
This ruined my night right here!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
that article bothered me till i found out that Pete Thamel was the source for it all. This guy worked 9 months on an article on Bledsoe that ended up being full of trash and lies. He went to Turkey and talked to someone that is trying to do whatever it takes to keep Enes from playing college basketball. If Enes plays college ball it will cost his organization a lot of money, so you know he's not going to say anything positive.
Cal was just on the local 10 PM news and said its not true and that there are alot of people out there spreading false rumors. I'd say Kanter may be okay. Time will tell and this reporter, if you can call him that, may have a ax on his shoulder reguarding UK
Jerry Tipton works at the NY times too?
everything that's on Enes Kanter facebook page says "Free Enes" now what that's suppose to mean i don't know!
Pete Thamel is trying his best to get something started on Cal. He's a good friend of Pat Forde and Forde is a loserville fan and doesnt have enough nerve to put that info out there himself, so he gets Thamel to do it. They can say they gave him 100,000 is what they paid, but why would he refuse to show reporters if it was true? That money there is about the same as what tuition costs for kids to attend Oak Hill Academy for 4 years. So if you wanna compare that to prep players, thats the same thing
Did anyone honestly believe that this guy played Pro Ball in Turkey and never received any sum of money for it?
I want to cry, literally.
He will be eligible. The NCAA states that an amateur can receive money from a team for travel, room and board, etc. He never signed any kind of contract while overseas, so if you take into effect that he played for 3 years, do you not think $100,000 sounds about right for housing for he and his parents (remember, he was only 14-16 years old during those 3 years so they had to keep up his parents as well), the travel expenses, and other necessary items he needed to be able to play?
Plus, let's not forget that if Enes plays at UK this year, the minute he steps foot on the court in the NCAA's, Turkey then loses all control over Enes and will no longer be able to make a profit off of him once he makes it to the NBA. If he had stayed in Turkey, then gone to the NBA, Turkey would then receive a portion of his salary. So in this case, Turkey is going to do anything and everything to make this kid ineligible so that they can make a profit off of him.
BCF4L Wrote:He will be eligible. The NCAA states that an amateur can receive money from a team for travel, room and board, etc. He never signed any kind of contract while overseas, so if you take into effect that he played for 3 years, do you not think $100,000 sounds about right for housing for he and his parents (remember, he was only 14-16 years old during those 3 years so they had to keep up his parents as well), the travel expenses, and other necessary items he needed to be able to play?

They tried to take away Lebron's eligibility in HS for receiving a few jerseys....
100k is a big deal
zaga_fan Wrote:They tried to take away Lebron's eligibility in HS for receiving a few jerseys....
100k is a big deal
100K is a big deal if it's considered a salary. It's not a big deal if it was used to pay the necessary things the NCAA allows the team to pay for. Guess we will just have to see what the NCAA sees as a necessity and what was not.
I assume if this was a player at Louisville, the cry of foul would be loud and clear???? If it smells like rotten fish, then may it's........

..........ah, nevermind. We should have the best record in basketball, but the charecters that we will recruit will ALWAYS be suspect. We have sold our soul!

I love UK first and foremost. I never liked Cal before because I always felt he skirted the edges and the players that he recruits, though great, have serious baggage. My stance on UK has not changed, nor has it changed on Cal. As I said, I don't care what he does as long as he brings championships and doesn't bring the program down like Eddie Sutton!
So lets say he is ineligible? He has never set foot in a game right? So the punishment would be?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:So lets say he is ineligible? He has never set foot in a game right? So the punishment would be?

Absolutely nothing. And if it's true, we should be happy that it was exposed before he ever worked out with the team!
Stardust Wrote:I assume if this was a player at Louisville, the cry of foul would be loud and clear???? If it smells like rotten fish, then may it's........

..........ah, nevermind. We should have the best record in basketball, but the charecters that we will recruit will ALWAYS be suspect. We have sold our soul!

I love UK first and foremost. I never liked Cal before because I always felt he skirted the edges and the players that he recruits, though great, have serious baggage. My stance on UK has not changed, nor has it changed on Cal. As I said, I don't care what he does as long as he brings championships and doesn't bring the program down like Eddie Sutton!

**** Straight!!!! What else would you expect? I must admit I don't care if UK cheats as long as they are not caught. Only problem is, that with Cal's history, his teams are going to be watched very closely, and they will get caught if they do something. Dusty, you're to honest.
Westside Wrote:**** Straight!!!! What else would you expect? I must admit I don't care if UK cheats as long as they are not caught. Only problem is, that with Cal's history, his teams are going to be watched very closely, and they will get caught if they do something. Dusty, you're to honest.

I'll get bashed, but I honestly don't care. I've been honest about my feeling's of Cal both while he coached elsewhere and now that he is here. But I concur with you completely, "Win baby Win, just don't tell me how you did it":biggrin:
I hope Enes is cleared to play none-the-less. We really need him this year to make a title run.
You know good 'ol Pat Forde was the first one to get this put on ESPN. So many haters and the funny thing is that this hasn't played a game yet. I know the report said the team paid for his parents but i thought his dad was a doctor???
beasy_bo Wrote:You know good 'ol Pat Forde was the first one to get this put on ESPN. So many haters and the funny thing is that this hasn't played a game yet. I know the report said the team paid for his parents but i thought his dad was a doctor???

:Clap: how many Doctor's do you know? Ever know of one to ever pay for anything :biggrin:
beasy_bo Wrote:You know good 'ol Pat Forde was the first one to get this put on ESPN. So many haters and the funny thing is that this hasn't played a game yet. I know the report said the team paid for his parents but i thought his dad was a doctor???

He is, their family is more wealthy than everyone knows.
BCF4L Wrote:100K is a big deal if it's considered a salary. It's not a big deal if it was used to pay the necessary things the NCAA allows the team to pay for. Guess we will just have to see what the NCAA sees as a necessity and what was not.

"Karakas says the Turkish team provided housing for Kanter and
his family for more than three years. It also gave him food and
pocket money, and paid more than $6,500 a month in salary
during his final season."

Sounds to me like he was well taken care of.
I wish I made 6500 a month.
zaga_fan Wrote:"Karakas says the Turkish team provided housing for Kanter and
his family for more than three years. It also gave him food and
pocket money, and paid more than $6,500 a month in salary
during his final season."

Sounds to me like he was well taken care of.
I wish I made 6500 a month.

Nah zaga, he didn't need $6,500 a month, his dad was a Doctor, remember :popcorn:
:biggrin:
I just don't know how he could be eligible, if what the Turkish GM says is true. The NCAA ruled Miss. St.'s Renardo Sidney ineligible last season and his benefits were nowhere near $100,000. Sidney will be able to play sometime this year, though. He missed last season, 30% of this coming season and had an $11,800 penalty for repayment. It just doesn't seem like a good time to test the NCAA, since they seem to be investigating everything and everyone right now.