Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wins or Championships?
Jarons Wrote:UCLA just not has been as consistent as UK, UNC, and Kansas over the years.

Agreed. It took a revival in the form of a National Chapionship in 1995 to get them back on the national spotlight (after the decade of dominance). And they have been a pretty consistent title threat in the 2000s but not quite as consistent as teams like UNC and Kansas.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Benchwarmer Wrote:And, this is coming from someone that is celebrating the way past glory of wrestlers.

Celebrating? What is the term celebrating? That would like me saying that Dusty Rhodes, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair is better than any wrestler active today. New time, new era. Your point is pointless.
Ballers Wrote:PC, how many Duke games have you actually been too..

Why is that relevant? UK is my favorite team, but I have been to no more than 10 games in my lifetime. I've been to more UC and XU games but that does not mean they have to be my favorite team. I love the Yankees, but have only been once in my lifetime. Michael Jordan is my favorite basketball player of all time but only seen him live once. I'm not arguing against you, but I don't get the point. Bull's were my favorite team, and I used to say "We", as a fan, when I talked about them, but it was not because I got to frequent their games.
Stardust Wrote:Celebrating? What is the term celebrating? That would like me saying that Dusty Rhodes, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair is better than any wrestler active today. New time, new era. Your point is pointless.

In-appropriate.
By your icon and attachments to every post you have is celebrating past glory.
Stardust Wrote:Why is that relevant? UK is my favorite team, but I have been to no more than 10 games in my lifetime. I've been to more UC and XU games but that does not mean they have to be my favorite team. I love the Yankees, but have only been once in my lifetime. Michael Jordan is my favorite basketball player of all time but only seen him live once. I'm not arguing against you, but I don't get the point. Bull's were my favorite team, and I used to say "We", as a fan, when I talked about them, but it was not because I got to frequent their games.

I see that. I am a lifelong Bengals fan but I have never been able to get tickets for a game. Never been to a NHL game but the Colorado Avalanche is my team. However, I have been to countless UK and Reds games!!! lol
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Benchwarmer Wrote:In-appropriate.

Celebrating, that makes absolutely zero sense.
Stardust Wrote:Why is that relevant? UK is my favorite team, but I have been to no more than 10 games in my lifetime. I've been to more UC and XU games but that does not mean they have to be my favorite team. I love the Yankees, but have only been once in my lifetime. Michael Jordan is my favorite basketball player of all time but only seen him live once. I'm not arguing against you, but I don't get the point. Bull's were my favorite team, and I used to say "We", as a fan, when I talked about them, but it was not because I got to frequent their games.

Because if he's such a big Duke fan, then I'm sure he's at least been to one of their games.
Benchwarmer Wrote:In-appropriate.

LOL.. Everytime i look at his avatars and pics I feel like I'm in the 80's. I dont like it Sad
Ballers Wrote:Because if he's such a big Duke fan, then I'm sure he's at least been to one of their games.

But if he hasn't that means he's not a "BIG" fan????

He may have been to 50 for all I know, but I see him being just as big a fan if he went to 50 or zero.
About whether wins or championships are important, I think wins are underrated. If you don't have enough wins, you don't get a chance to win a championship. If you win enough games to get the #1 seed and you don't win the championship, you're usually looked down upon. If you don't win many games, get a low seed, and win a championship, you're usually highly looked up to.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:About whether wins or championships are important, I think wins are underrated. If you don't have enough wins, you don't get a chance to win a championship. If you win enough games to get the #1 seed and you don't win the championship, you're usually looked down upon. If you don't win many games, get a low seed, and win a championship, you're usually highly looked up to.

I will agree to all of that..
Deathstar 80 Wrote:About whether wins or championships are important, I think wins are underrated. If you don't have enough wins, you don't get a chance to win a championship. If you win enough games to get the #1 seed and you don't win the championship, you're usually looked down upon. If you don't win many games, get a low seed, and win a championship, you're usually highly looked up to.

Doesn't someone who has a harder road to a championship and wins it deserve to be looked up to?
zaga_fan Wrote:Doesn't someone who has a harder road to a championship and wins it deserve to be looked up to?

Absolutely! However, let's say a coach has the toughest schedule and wins all of his games in the regular season for five straight seasons! However, the coach loses in the first round of the playoffs every one of those years. That coach is most likely going to be fired.

For example, Avery Johnson on November 18, 2007 became the fastest coach (I think NBA coach) to win 150 games. However, for the playoffs in the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons, he lost in the first round despite being the top seed for the playoffs each time. He was fired after the second time he lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Another example is Tubby Smith. He averaged 26.3 wins per season as the head coach of the University of Kentucky basketball team. He also was the quickest head coach in the University of Kentucky basketball history (besides Coach Adolf Rupp) to reach 100 wins. Despite these accomplishments, he was criticized for not reaching the final four and not being good at recruiting. He resigned on March 22, 2007.
zaga_fan Wrote:Doesn't someone who has a harder road to a championship and wins it deserve to be looked up to?

And in that case, that is why your Zaga Fan Wink .. But yeah, surely your not talking about Duke.. Please don't even say your talking about Duke..
Ballers Wrote:And in that case, that is why your Zaga Fan Wink .. But yeah, surely your not talking about Duke.. Please don't even say your talking about Duke..

Duke had a 1 seed....
zaga_fan Wrote:Duke had a 1 seed....

That's what I thought.... Duke had the tougher road huh?
Ballers Wrote:That's what I thought....

:wenumber1
zaga_fan Wrote::wenumber1

Gonzaga #1? I highly doubt that.. We will let this season do the talking.. Lets see where UK stands and where everyone else sits after the season. :redboxer::flame:
Ballers Wrote:Gonzaga #1? I highly doubt that.. We will let this season do the talking.. Lets see where UK stands and where everyone else sits after the season. :redboxer::flame:

my emo was for Duke being #1...
and I said nothing about Duke having a tougher road.
I was replying about a team(hypothetically) that had a low seed and wins the championship.
I was just letting you know they there is no way I was even thinking about Duke because this you can't have a low seed if you're #1.

And this is not Duke.
Ballers Wrote:And this is not Duke.

Sure wasn't.
I was just posing a question.

and just to emphasize....
#1 SEEDS HAVE THE EASIEST ROAD THROUGH THE TOURNAMENT
DUKE, BEING A #1 SEED, WOULD HAVE HAD ONE OF THE EASIEST ROADS THROUGH THE TOURNAMENT.
Duke had the easiest road to the championship that I've seen in my lifetime this year. Not saying they don't deserve the title, they do. They were the only team to go 6-0 in the NCAA tournament. But as far as competition and having a rough time getting their wins, in comparison to past champions, they had none.
LClion4life Wrote:Duke had the easiest road to the championship that I've seen in my lifetime this year. Not saying they don't deserve the title, they do. They were the only team to go 6-0 in the NCAA tournament. But as far as competition and having a rough time getting their wins, in comparison to past champions, they had none.

Couldn't agree more.:Thumbs:
They had the easiest road to the final four out of the #1 seeds which implies that they were the overall #1. However, they were the fourth #1 and somehow came out of it with the easier bracket than UK and Kansas. When they were actually the first #2 seed.

Anyways, Back to the topic. I think that the wins that a program has accumulated adds to a tradition's legacy just look at how it effects UCLA in some of the Nationwide almanacs.
[SIZE="4"]
Man Ballers and Zagafan sure have had some epic discussions! lol
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Man Ballers and Zagafan sure have had some epic discussions! lol

It's true it's true.. lol
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Absolutely! However, let's say a coach has the toughest schedule and wins all of his games in the regular season for five straight seasons! However, the coach loses in the first round of the playoffs every one of those years. That coach is most likely going to be fired.

For example, Avery Johnson on November 18, 2007 became the fastest coach (I think NBA coach) to win 150 games. However, for the playoffs in the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons, he lost in the first round despite being the top seed for the playoffs each time. He was fired after the second time he lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Another example is Tubby Smith. He averaged 26.3 wins per season as the head coach of the University of Kentucky basketball team. He also was the quickest head coach in the University of Kentucky basketball history (besides Coach Adolf Rupp) to reach 100 wins. Despite these accomplishments, he was criticized for not reaching the final four and not being good at recruiting. He resigned on March 22, 2007.

You cant compare NBA and College coaching positions , they are totally separate animals . NBA coaches get hired and fired every year for little or no reason . And as for The Tubby part he completely quit coaching after Chuck Hayes graduated , if you look at the games from those years youll know what im talking about . He just didnt care and was looking for some way out . College coached usually have good reasons to be fired , usually lack of wins , rarely do they get fired for losing in the tournament . Aside from a few schools , just making the tournament gives college coached a raise .
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Man Ballers and Zagafan sure have had some epic discussions! lol

That we have....that we have...lol
I really like this thread, everyone had some great point and good discussion.
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I really like this thread, everyone had some great point and good discussion.

:Thumbs: