Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wins or Championships?
Looking at the Duke thread we had an argument come up about UCLA and their place in history.
UCLA has 11 championships but is shy of 1700 wins.
Several teams have more wins, but no one has any more championships.
Any player or coach would trade a few wins for a championship...
but how do wins stack up to championships over the course of NCAA history?
let me know what you think
Championships is how your legacy is built. I would sacrifice wins and stats for a championship anyday.
Jarons Wrote:Championships is how your legacy is built. I would sacrifice wins and stats for a championship anyday.

What if there is a team with 2500 wins and 2 championships.
How would they be ranked all-time?
I know this stuff is all how you look at it.
But what do you think?
Zaga, I'm gonna say that I believe we can go with championships.. But let me give you this to think about.. UK with 7 titles.. very impressive, but they also have the most WINS to back it up.. UCLA yeah they have 11 championships, but many many teams are in front of them with wins.. Hope you get my drift.. If it were a point system, I would give my hat to Kentucky for being so consistent.
zaga_fan Wrote:What if there is a team with 2500 wins and 2 championships.
But what do you think?

Why is UK favored most over UNC? It's their championships. Over the last 15 years, these teams have been close in the wins depratment, but UK has always been thought of as the better program.

Let's look at it another way. Outside of the state of Kentucky, most everyone considers UCLA as the greatest bastketball program of all-time. Why, championships. UK, UNC and Kansas all have a comfortable lead in wins, but UCLA's championships puts them at the top in most peoples minds.

New England Patriots over the past 10 years is considered the best team in football. The Colts have considerably more wins than the Pats, but the Pats have the Rings versus the Colts plural "ring".
The way I look it at is this:

Uk fans are claiming they're the best program because they have the most wins. You know what I think of when I hear that?

"We got to the big game(s) more times than your team, and lost."
PC_You_Know Wrote:The way I look it at is this:

Uk fans are claiming they're the best program because they have the most wins. You know what I think of when I hear that?

Hey what can I say.. ACC just ain't what it used to be huh.
Ballers Wrote:Hey what can I say.. ACC just ain't what it used to be huh.

You have a hard time comprehending things don't you?
PC_You_Know Wrote:You have a hard time comprehending things don't you?

I was referring to conference play, and Duke getting "enough" wins to get to those big games.. Guess you didn't comprehend that either.
zaga_fan Wrote:What if there is a team with 2500 wins and 2 championships.
But what do you think?

I am not sure exactly how to answer that. When I initally posted this thread I thought it was about coaches and players that is why I said championships, you meant programs. As for a programs, I would use wins and titles over a long period of time. I would rate UCLA 4th or 5th despite the 11 titles because much of their success was over a 12 year period and majority of the success was with one coach. Teams like UK, UNC, and Kansas has been a major player in the NCAA with multiple coaches and decades.
PC_You_Know Wrote:The way I look it at is this:

The more and more I read this quote, the less sense it makes.. Can you please advise what you mean by this statement? Whose "We" Duke or UK?
PC_You_Know Wrote:You have a hard time comprehending things don't you?

Hey man...
ACC is nothing compared to the SEC...
the SEC has some of the best basketball programs to ever grace the NIT:Cheerlead
Jarons Wrote:I am not sure exactly how to answer that. When I initally posted this thread I thought it was about coaches and players that is why I said championships, you meant programs. As for a programs, I would use wins and titles over a long period of time. I would rate UCLA 4th or 5th despite the 11 titles because much of their success was over a 12 year period and majority of the success was with one coach. Teams like UK, UNC, and Kansas has been a major player in the NCAA with multiple coaches and decades.

I was just posing a question.
Thanks for the input Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:Hey man...
the SEC has some of the best basketball programs to ever grace the NIT:Cheerlead

Spoken like a true UK fan... Florida, UK, Tennessee -- Definitley NIT teams :Thumbs:

I cannot argue against that.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I cannot argue against that.

:yawn:
PC_You_Know Wrote:I cannot argue against that.
thank goodness cause most of your arguements doesn't make much sense anyways:biggrin:
Ballers Wrote:Spoken like a true UK fan... Florida, UK, Tennessee -- Definitley NIT teams :Thumbs:

The ACC has more national titles in basketball than the SEC.
Ballers Wrote:[/B]

The more and more I read this quote, the less sense it makes.. Can you please advise what you mean by this statement? Whose "We" Duke or UK?

UK...you're saying UK has the most wins, but they don't have the most titles. That's saying that they've had more chances at the big time games, and lost.
PC_You_Know Wrote:The ACC has more national titles in basketball than the SEC.

Proof
PC_You_Know Wrote:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_NCAA_conf...basketball

You mean there only has been 68 years of Basketball?
Still waiting on an answer PC You Know
:relaxing:
PC_You_Know Wrote:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_NCAA_conf...basketball

Look a little harder at your website.

This is using only teams current conferences, as going back and finding the each team's conference at the time of the championship would be too much. However had I done this the Pacific 10 would still be on top as Arizona's championship and UCLA's 11 championships were won while playing in the AAWU/Pac-8/Pac-10, all of which were name changes of the same conference. Oregon and California won their national championships while playing in the PCC. The Pac-10 is generally considered to be the successor to the PCC although they are not the same organization.

ACC 223
NC-41 app

SEC 201 NCAA app.
Kentucky 50 app.

Just for you zaga fan
Gonzage 13-app. NCAA tourny
1 elite 8
No Championships
I personally think wins are underrated. I really like what Stardust mentioned in his post about Tom Brady and Payton Manning. (I really like the comparison of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in this thread.)

I think Peyton Manning is overall the best quarterback in the NFL, but players like Tom Brady and Kurt Warner somehow do well in the playoffs and definitely help their team to win championships. I honestly don't know how Tom Brady and Kurt Warner do that, but I guess they have secrets the use for the playoffs.

Another person to mention is Tubby Smith. I really liked him as a coach and so did Mr. Vitale. He won an average of 26.3 wins per season and had an average record of 12-4 in SEC play for each season. However, he was fired because he couldn't win championships (or at least get to the Final Four).
Benchwarmer coming thru the side door, pwning as usual.:biggrin:
Ballers Wrote:Benchwarmer coming thru the side door, pwning as usual.:biggrin:

Just having fun.
Ballers Wrote:Benchwarmer coming thru the side door, pwning as usual.:biggrin:

I got on this site to discuss Kentucky basketball teams. Hence Bluegrassrivals.

Not to discuss blue devils or Gonzaga. It's not Bluedevilsrivals or gonzagarivals.