Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg Blackcats 2005
I think the Cats will be alot better than most people are giving them credit for, their big weakness will be on defense, they lose all 3 LB's and only return one from the secondary. If Peters and Shaffer show some leadership on and off the field this year, then they could be a regional championship team if not state finalist's. IMO it will be Prestonsburg vs Leslie Co in the 2A region 4 championship game this year.
Prestonsburg will be good offensively this year, they have the ability to go long or smash it down your throat with Hamilton and Peters.
They will have the best O-line in 2A, they return 4 of 5 from a regional runner-up team, althought i dont think they will be able to go deep very much this year, it will be EXTREMELY hard to stop pburg's running game, Hamilton is impossible to stop for <3 yards and peters has breakaway speed and very quick feet.
Never watched Peters actually run the ball but I have heard good things about him. I'm excited to see the season start back up.
they'll be good with brenton and chafin still there.
T-Blankenship78 Wrote:they'll be good with brenton and chafin still there.

Chaffin was a senior in 04'.
Yes, Jesse does graduate this year but his little brother Sam will only be a junior, he should be Brenton's back up this year. IMO the Blackcats will be just fine as always, 2A football is always wide open anyways, who actually saw O'Cath making it to the carpet last year?
jayblackcat2006 Wrote:Yes, Jesse does graduate this year but his little brother Sam will only be a junior, he should be Brenton's back up this year. IMO the Blackcats will be just fine as always, 2A football is always wide open anyways, who actually saw O'Cath making it to the carpet last year?

I'd say Sam will be playing Middle LB this year for the Cats. He has a nose for getting to the ball and form tackles very well. The only thing he needs to try to improve is his speed.

He had a pretty good game last year against Magoffin County with 11 or 12 tackles in the second half.
Red and Black Wrote:I think the Cats will be alot better than most people are giving them credit for, their big weakness will be on defense, they lose all 3 LB's and only return one from the secondary. If Peters and Shaffer show some leadership on and off the field this year, then they could be a regional championship team if not state finalist's. IMO it will be Prestonsburg vs Leslie Co in the 2A region 4 championship game this year.

I hope your right!
Honestly I think it's going to be a long season for them, I look for them to break even.
Flowmaster Wrote:Honestly I think it's going to be a long season for them, I look for them to break even.

No Chance!

Why do you think that?
blackcat Wrote:
Flowmaster Wrote:Honestly I think it's going to be a long season for them, I look for them to break even.

No Chance!

Why do you think that?

They lost a lot of studs off the team.
Flowmaster Wrote:
blackcat Wrote:

No Chance!

Why do you think that?

They lost a lot of studs off the team.

They get a lot back too.
Name some people on the team other than the big FB that they have that can dominate a game? Lost Ousley, Compton, John Mark, J. Carr, Jesse Chaffin, and other guys that made the team what it was last season. I can gaurentee that some people you name other than the FB from Pikeville, I've never heard in my neck of the woods. That is why I look for them to break about even.
Flowmaster Wrote:Name some people on the team other than the big FB that they have that can dominate a game? Lost Ousley, Compton, John Mark, J. Carr, Jesse Chaffin, and other guys that made the team what it was last season. I can gaurentee that some people you name other than the FB from Pikeville, I've never heard in my neck of the woods. That is why I look for them to break about even.

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they can't play.

There is more then one way to dominate a game.

They return 4 offensive linemen, 3 very good defensive linemen, a pretty experienced QB, and there corner Brandon Peters from last year will be playing running back from the way it looks. He has 4.5 speed possibly better when season comes around, has good hands if they need him at wide out and still will fill the corner position.
Yeah I agree with blackcat, just because you haven't heard of em doesn't mean they don't exist. P-burg is a team that doesn't have terrible seasons. They went through a slump about 5 or 6 years ago, but everyone does that. But they still made the playoffs but lost in the first round to Boyle Co. Prestonsburg may not be world beaters or as good as last year, but I still look for a regional title.
P-burg does have a good shot at a regional trophy.
Does anyone know if Mason Vance is playing for the blackcats next year
Shaffer, is a good Qb if he stays calm. Shaffer is my best friend and hes a hoss. With shaffers line this yr he shoudl have all the time in the world to throw the ball, but this year it could be a running year for the cats. With Chaffin or Hamilton FB and Peters tailback...Heck coach D might go 3 Back like Haywood does who knows..... Belfry got it done two yrs in a row on the ground so why not Pburg? I think Lb's this year will be Shaffer, Hamilton, and Chaffin. Pburg will be allright I dont see them going undefeated but wil be there in the end....One of the better receivers pburg will have is Carman Maines but he is only 5' 5 or 6" But he is a very tough individual. He doesnt care to hit anyone or take a hit and hes fast as lighting....
football05 Wrote:Shaffer, is a good Qb if he stays calm. Shaffer is my best friend and hes a hoss. With shaffers line this yr he shoudl have all the time in the world to throw the ball, but this year it could be a running year for the cats. With Chaffin or Hamilton FB and Peters tailback...Heck coach D might go 3 Back like Haywood does who knows..... Belfry got it done two yrs in a row on the ground so why not Pburg? I think Lb's this year will be Shaffer, Hamilton, and Chaffin. Pburg will be allright I dont see them going undefeated but wil be there in the end....One of the better receivers pburg will have is Carman Maines but he is only 5' 5 or 6" But he is a very tough individual. He doesnt care to hit anyone or take a hit and hes fast as lighting....

IMO Shaffer and Hamilton will be on the line, they were way to good last year to be moved to LB. You may see Hamilton moved back depending on the defense they run.

At LB I think you'll see Vance, Chaffin, McGuire, and Peters possibly depending on the team they play. If it's a Breathitt County then Peters will be at Corner.

Vance will be playing this year.

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:32 pm:

Tyler Layne I'd say will be seeing time at LB also.
Nick Mcguire is playing football? or what mcguire are you talking about?
Shaffer loves defense i know that for a fact probably more than QB.....HE likes QB dont get me wrong its just he loves to hit someone and he has a nose for the ball.....His dad can really help the O-LINE this year considering he played for Tennessee and started for 3 years....he was a walk on from Western KY and when he went into camp at UT he said the coaches told him he had to beat the best to get the starting position...well to make a long story short he beat their best Offensive lineman and got the starting position.......So he really knows how to handle the line in any situation, big or small.......
football05 Wrote:Nick Mcguire is playing football? or what mcguire are you talking about?
Shaffer loves defense i know that for a fact probably more than QB.....HE likes QB dont get me wrong its just he loves to hit someone and he has a nose for the ball.....His dad can really help the O-LINE this year considering he played for Tennessee and started for 3 years....he was a walk on from Western KY and when he went into camp at UT he said the coaches told him he had to beat the best to get the starting position...well to make a long story short he beat their best Offensive lineman and got the starting position.......So he really knows how to handle the line in any situation, big or small.......

Yes, Nick has been lifting for about 2 or 3 weeks now I think.

Big Dave has helped a lot with the O-line since Lil Dave has been going to P-burg.
Prestonsburg has a very talented offensive line. I remembered playing against them this year and they looked small but gosh were they fast. Sometimes they were already into me before i got out of my stance. I think they will have a great season, hopefully with their only loss to us but thats wishful thinking.
Glad to see nick come out and play, Mcguire played QB in middle school with these boys and Shaffer FB.....BUt that was middle school balll......
Is mike morrison playing this year?
Prestonsburg will be a regional facter as always.. Good Luck in 2005 Blackcats
blackcat Wrote:Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they can't play.

They return 4 offensive linemen, 3 very good defensive linemen, a pretty experienced QB, and there corner Brandon Peters from last year will be playing running back from the way it looks. He has 4.5 speed possibly better when season comes around, has good hands if they need him at wide out and still will fill the corner position.

Thats 9 players, football needs 22 players and it sounds like they are 13 short of a strong team. A lot of kids are going to be first year players, and saying that a lot of kids will struggle early on. If they adapt well then they should be able to pick it up towards the end of the year, and that may be just too late.
Flowmaster Wrote:
blackcat Wrote:Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they can't play.

Thats 9 players, football needs 22 players and it sounds like they are 13 short of a strong team. A lot of kids are going to be first year players, and saying that a lot of kids will struggle early on. If they adapt well then they should be able to pick it up towards the end of the year, and that may be just too late.

Most teams in eastern ky. have boys playing of both sides of the ball. So you don't necessarily need 22 players. It would be good if they did have enough atheletes good enough to play on either O or D. But around here it usually don't work that way. Most boys play both sides. So, even though it would be tough, you can play with just 11 boys.
That's 9 players that could beat any team in our district (besides Belfry) single handedly.
P-Burg will be good in a weak district, I feel that just like last year they'll be better than Belfry, will they beat them ---probably not.. Coach D can't coach against Belfry he gets too conservative early on and their offense becomes pretty predictable. But this region is wide open..Breathitt or Middlesboro will be competing for first though...Breahitt county should have a good recruiting off-season, plus they have been out of the mix for too long, M-Boro returns all of their players except QB, who is replaced by someone better in most aspects.
Are you sure Brandon Peters has 4.5 speed, I used to play with him and he was very athletic and played some good db. But he didnt really have rb feet, I could be wrong. But goodluck to him and the team.