Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belkin wireless router help??
I need a tech expert. I cant get my belkin router too connect too my desktop. but at the same time its connected my laptop gets connection. how do I get my Desktop and Laptop both connection?
Real Badman Wrote:I need a tech expert. I cant get my belkin router too connect too my desktop. but at the same time its connected my laptop gets connection. how do I get my Desktop and Laptop both connection?
You need to provide a little more information, such as:

1. Are you trying to connect your desktop wirelessly or with a cable?

2. Is your laptop connecting to your own router, or is it connecting to another one in the neighborhood? Make sure that your laptop is connecting to where you think it is connecting.

3. If you are trying to connect wirelessly, is your network encrypted? If so, you will need the encryption code or pass phrase for the router.

I have never used a Belkin, you may need to connect a cable to the router and enter its IP address into the location bar of your web browser. (For a Netgear and I believe for a Linksys, the IP address is 192.168.1.1 - but your router's IP address should be listed on the bottom of the router.) You will also need a user name (default will be something like "admin") and password to access the router's configuration software.

Once you connect to the router, you should be able to find the encryption method and code, which any computer connecting wirelessly to the router will need.
Well I connected too the desktop wiredly but im sure its my own network, I named it myself so Im sure. Im not very good at tech stuff. I was hopein someone on here could help me snice the people at belkin couldnt
Real Badman Wrote:Well I connected too the desktop wiredly but im sure its my own network, I named it myself so Im sure. Im not very good at tech stuff. I was hopein someone on here could help me snice the people at belkin couldnt
The reason I suggested checking to make sure that you are connected wirelessly to you own network is that a laptop can connect to another unsecured network if it is not configured right. If your laptop is connecting and your desktop will not connect wirelessly, my guess is that you either have the wrong wireless protocol selected for your desktop wireless card or you have entered the wrong encryption code. In other words, if your laptop is connecting using WPA2 encryption, then your desktop adapter must use the same protocol and the same password or pass phrase. Not all wireless adapters support the same protocols, so your network must use one that all of the computers support.

I suggest trying to configure your network to not use any encryption to verify that your desktop network adapter is working and then reconfigure your modem from scratch to use the best encryption that both computers will support.
Can you explain how to do that now lol?
They have excellent Tech Support personnel, to get you connected. I have one and they walk you through the process.
Real Badman Wrote:Can you explain how to do that now lol?
The manual or quick set-up guide is a good place to start. If you don't have them, go to belkin.com and download them. It should be pretty easy to turn off encryption and then follow the directions step by step to re-install it.

Most routers will let you use a flash drive to quickly add computers to the network once you get the first one set up. You might even find a video guide on youtube to walk you through the steps.
Real Badman Wrote:I need a tech expert. I cant get my belkin router too connect too my desktop. but at the same time its connected my laptop gets connection. how do I get my Desktop and Laptop both connection?

1 Question. Just one. Is either of these running Windows 7?
belkin uses 192.168.2.1 for its setting changes. what kind of help you need I know a lot about routers?

what os are you using on the pcs? are you sure your desktop has a wireless network card in it?
a good name brand wireless destop card like a linkskey runs about $19.99 and up.
also if your router is near desktop/dsl/cable modem i would just use cat5 network cable they get better connection than wireless. i use my 2 ps3's and 2 desktops on the 4 wired ports that came with my linkskeys wireless wrtg54 router
on your wireless laptops etc that use the wireless you want to use wpa2-psk security about the best kind of secured wireless network you can have. If you don't have wpa2 you might have wpa-psk then use that
you can easily drill holes through the floor and run the cable thats what i've done it works great for playing ps3 online and i'd assume 360