•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell JFL
One thing I have always known about a COIN,, two sides...... Dont worry FBALL I am not starting a rant on here!!!! HAHA
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I'm not worried. Too busy to worry. The lights are going up on the field and everything is looking good.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Three of his friends are there already, with one -two possibly transferring.. He has asked about himself and has spoken to a couple of his friends already. I had another parent call me today out of the blue to ask me If I would let him go, I said it was up to him.... I just know that he is still talking about it, but not sure what will happen......Getting close to decision time......

I know that the kids down here would love to have him. Of course you know we lost a good one to Ashland. I think he will be back before it's over though.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:I know that the kids down here would love to have him. Of course you know we lost a good one to Ashland. I think he will be back before it's over though.

I thought I told you to hush.
FBALL Wrote:I thought I told you to hush.

Deep down you always wanted to be a Ram too......You big fuzzy anynettinahooo.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Three of his friends are there already, with one -two possibly transferring.. He has asked about himself and has spoken to a couple of his friends already. I had another parent call me today out of the blue to ask me If I would let him go, I said it was up to him.... I just know that he is still talking about it, but not sure what will happen......Getting close to decision time......

You know what?? I'm tired of reading the belly aching over the JFL...If these kids are leaving simply because of football then the parents are letting them go for ALL the wrong reasons...I would leave the #1 academic school in the area for about the 3rd or 4th in the area too...Are you guys kidding me??

You know, this class of athletes is no better than the group that graduated in '03 or '05...That would be the '02 & '04 football teams...NEITHER of those groups played middle school football and one got beat in OT in the semi's to the eventual Champ & the '04 group lost to maybe the best Belfry team (eventual champ) in recent years and was a couple of breaks away from having an opportunity to beat them...

It doesn't hurt the development of players to play in the format that has been re-adopted this year...It didn't hurt Josh Gross, Matt Thompson, Michael Gabbard, Issac Ison, etc...I believe Josh had a pretty good career coming out of JFL...In fact, he didn't touch a football until his was 9...Played soccer till that point...Played up on the freshman team as an 8th grader...If there's anyone in this class that can come close to the career he had that's yet to be seen...There are some good athletes in that group but having seen both the groups mentioned above & this 7th grade group at a young age I will go out on a limb and say that they are no better as a group than the guys who played in '02 or '04...They certainly have the potential to be as good or possibly better but there is a lot of time between now and when they are juniors and seniors...I hope the majority do the right thing and stay at home...If they ALL decide to go, good luck to them...Go be a "big fish" in a little pond...You won't be the first or last I'm sure... :yawn:

BTW, "D" you know I love ya and want your son to stay home but if you are gonna let your 12 year old decide where he's going to school (based on football & friends) then I might suggest looking in the mirror to see who's the parent...I'm gonna guess that MOST adults can make a better decision than any 12 year old...Come on, you know better than that!!

My rant is done...For now!!!
devil58 Wrote:You know what?? I'm tired of reading the belly aching over the JFL...If these kids are leaving simply because of football then the parents are letting them go for ALL the wrong reasons...I would leave the #1 academic school in the area for about the 3rd or 4th in the area too...Are you guys kidding me??

You know, this class of athletes is no better than the group that graduated in '03 or '05...That would be the '02 & '04 football teams...NEITHER of those groups played middle school football and one got beat in OT in the semi's to the eventual Champ & the '04 group lost to maybe the best Belfry team (eventual champ) in recent years and was a couple of breaks away from having an opportunity to beat them...

It doesn't hurt the development of players to play in the format that has been re-adopted this year...It didn't hurt Josh Gross, Matt Thompson, Michael Gabbard, Issac Ison, etc...I believe Josh had a pretty good career coming out of JFL...In fact, he didn't touch a football until his was 9...Played soccer till that point...Played up on the freshman team as an 8th grader...If there's anyone in this class that can come close to the career he had that's yet to be seen...There are some good athletes in that group but having seen both the groups mentioned above & this 7th grade group at a young age I will go out on a limb and say that they are no better as a group than the guys who played in '02 or '04...They certainly have the potential to be as good or possibly better but there is a lot of time between now and when they are juniors and seniors...I hope the majority do the right thing and stay at home...If they ALL decide to go, good luck to them...Go be a "big fish" in a little pond...You won't be the first or last I'm sure... :yawn:

BTW, "D" you know I love ya and want your son to stay home but if you are gonna let your 12 year old decide where he's going to school (based on football & friends) then I might suggest looking in the mirror to see who's the parent...I'm gonna guess that MOST adults can make a better decision than any 12 year old...Come on, you know better than that!!

My rant is done...For now!!!

LA LA LA LA don't listen. I think it's a perfect time to transfer. Come on down we would have the best class that Raceland has seen go through that place.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:LA LA LA LA don't listen. I think it's a perfect time to transfer. Come on down we would have the best class that Raceland has seen go through that place.

Don't make me lock you in the back of a van in August and drive around town with the heat on.
Hey DEVIL58,,, As a parent I allow my son to have input on what he wants,,,, my choice to do so.... BUT you know if you give a kid a choice and watch his reaction then you really learn alot about him..... He has been asked at least once a day from kids here and kids there if he was transfereing schools.. I left the decision up to him...... He has friends in both places and yes he loves to play all sports.. That is why he has made his final decision and and to no surprise to anyone he is going to stay right where he is.. This situation has been a great learning experience for him and he has had to deal with peer pressure from both sides,, nice learning experience with weighing the positives and negatives.....
KNowing that with options come responsibilty, what to do and what really counts. I had no doubt that he was staying right where he is.... KNew all the time... BUT I made him really think of why he would go to Raceland the benefits and what was at stake. He knew that if transferred this year that it was for the long haul and no coming back to Russell. As you know I was not for the current JFL change but I will live with the board decision and make the best of.. I will offer my support and make sure that every kid I have contact with will learn the most about football and the system that RUSSELL.

So for all of the people who email me and call and text if he is leaving,, HE IS STAYING RIGHT WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE !!!!!!!! AT HOME!!!!!
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Don't worry "D". Remember every coin has two sides and it will go back to Middle School ball in a few years. JFL has been down this road twice now and when the numbers fal again then it will look at the Middle School program. But then they might not be able to get in a conferance to play. But them are harsh words from 58 to critique your parenting . Might need to talk about the weather ?????????? Just kidding. I know you have broad shoulders and don't wear your feelings on you sleeve. The days where every kid gets a trophy needs t be over. :devilflam:devilflam:devilflam
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Hey DEVIL58,,, As a parent I allow my son to have input on what he wants,,,, my choice to do so.... BUT you know if you give a kid a choice and watch his reaction then you really learn alot about him..... He has been asked at least once a day from kids here and kids there if he was transfereing schools.. I left the decision up to him...... He has friends in both places and yes he loves to play all sports.. That is why he has made his final decision and and to no surprise to anyone he is going to stay right where he is.. This situation has been a great learning experience for him and he has had to deal with peer pressure from both sides,, nice learning experience with weighing the positives and negatives.....
KNowing that with options come responsibilty, what to do and what really counts. I had no doubt that he was staying right where he is.... KNew all the time... BUT I made him really think of why he would go to Raceland the benefits and what was at stake. He knew that if transferred this year that it was for the long haul and no coming back to Russell. As you know I was not for the current JFL change but I will live with the board decision and make the best of.. I will offer my support and make sure that every kid I have contact with will learn the most about football and the system that RUSSELL.

So for all of the people who email me and call and text if he is leaving,, HE IS STAYING RIGHT WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE !!!!!!!! AT HOME!!!!!

When you explain the whole process like that it makes very good sense and I agree with the process you described above..When you simply state you left the decision to him, alarms go off in my relatively large head and that creates quite an echo in there...LOL

Having open dialogue in the house and allowing kids to have input (not necessarily the FINAL decision) can create a very healthy family relationship because, like you stated, they have to think about everything before they make their choice...Most kids live in the moment and don't think long term...Hopefully, when the process is over they come to the same conclusion as we, the parents, do...If that happens, let them feel like you "allowed" them to make the choice...It helps their self-esteem and makes them feel like their opinion is important...But, we do always maintain the executive right of the VETO...If you can see that the ramifications of their decision are minor, let them take the hit even if you would suggest they do something else...Great life lesson to be learned there...But, if you know that it is totally wrong, then out of love you have to make the final decision for them but use it as a continuing learning experience...From time to time you will have situations arise where you can remind them of how things would have turned out worse had they been allowed to make the final choice...Again, as they mature they will see things with "older" eyes and understand better why we make some of their choices...

Glad he's staying...Have him use his leverage to keep more from leaving to join little brother where there is an epidemic of "Devil Envy"... :biggrin:

I was also told that the father of the one who is transferring due to both parents working at Raceland now told Kidwell that his boy really didn't want to leave and that if he's still not happy at the end of the school year, he will be allowed to come back and graduate with his friends and classmates...Interesting huh?? I'll take a we'll see attitude with that one...Would love to see it happen though...That kid's a player...
pitchfork Wrote:Don't worry "D". Remember every coin has two sides and it will go back to Middle School ball in a few years. JFL has been down this road twice now and when the numbers fal again then it will look at the Middle School program. But then they might not be able to get in a conferance to play. But them are harsh words from 58 to critique your parenting . Might need to talk about the weather ?????????? Just kidding. I know you have broad shoulders and don't wear your feelings on you sleeve. The days where every kid gets a trophy needs t be over. :devilflam:devilflam:devilflam
I'm pretty sure "D" understands exactly what I meant...Read my response to him and you will see as well...My concern, as stated above, was in simply saying the final decision is in the hands of a 12 year old...I agree with the response he sent and had he stated that in the original post I wouldn't have said a word...

This is an opinion board and , right or wrong, we all have a right to give ours...You don't have to agree with me...I'm fine with that but I will always feel free to say what's on my mind because it will always be from the heart and not my emotion...

As for the trophy comment...You are absolutely right!!! It's not about trophies its about development...Do you really think that the majority of the kids are playing for the "participation" trophy they get at the end of the year?? If some are, should that really be a problem??? Remember, it is youth sports...It's for DEVELOPMENT...Everybody does get to play...Is that so bad?? Trust me, reality will set in when we get them in high school...

I know we have always had school teams in basketball in middle school but we wouldn't care if they scrapped those and went to league play IF we had the gym space & could get enough qualified coaches to coach that age level...Get about 60 kids per class playing on teams of 8-10 players...You could potentially develop a lot of depth at each position...Not necessarily all superstars, but solid fundamental players...What we have been lacking at the high school level in recent years is depth of solid fundamental players...Because you have smaller rosters you can't just roll a ball out there and have them play games in practice...You would have to teach fundamentals...They'll be able to dribble with both hands, even the big kids, because they will have to in practice...

In a typical 2 hour varsity practice we will work on skills & drills for 1:30 - 1:40 mins...If we scrimmage we do it in the last 15-20 mins or so and its mainly for conditioning...

If a youth program is done right it will continuously feed your varsity programs...Sure, you'll have some years where there is less "talent" but you should always have a solid base...There's a reason why we have very few losing records year in and year out in football...It's the JFL program...

End of rant #2... LOL
Totally agree. But the thing is AS you said is qualified coaches. Are they teaching what the high school sysytem is teaching.
How many coaches will the 11-13 yrs old have. And will they be teaching the Wing - T. " No " cause some don't even no it them self. Then next year when these DADDIES leave, and new DADDIES step up, those kids that were on the team will have to learn a new system again. Then the process starts over again. So where does the confusion end??????? Don't get me wrong. If the numbers can support it and it can contain itself it does work. But 3 yrs of flag, 4yrs of Pee Wee, 6th grade. The kids are chopping at the bit to play other schools.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Hey DEVIL58,,, As a parent I allow my son to have input on what he wants,,,, my choice to do so.... BUT you know if you give a kid a choice and watch his reaction then you really learn alot about him..... He has been asked at least once a day from kids here and kids there if he was transfereing schools.. I left the decision up to him...... He has friends in both places and yes he loves to play all sports.. That is why he has made his final decision and and to no surprise to anyone he is going to stay right where he is.. This situation has been a great learning experience for him and he has had to deal with peer pressure from both sides,, nice learning experience with weighing the positives and negatives.....

Fine!!!.......Stay on the dark side of the force......see if I care.
I can teach you the high schools version of the wing T in 5 minutes. It's not difficult to learn but it does take alot of reps in practice to run it right.

If running the wing T is such a big deal than why is it that the 7th grade team work mostly from the power I? It would seem to me that teaching good fundamentals and technique would be paramount when dealing with 6th, 7th and 8th graders.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Fine!!!.......Stay on the dark side of the force......see if I care.

He likes magneta uniforms better than those ugly orange ones.
FBALL Wrote:I can teach you the high schools version of the wing T in 5 minutes. It's not difficult to learn but it does take alot of reps in practice to run it right.

I would like to see you teach the 5 minute version of the Wing T!
plantmanky Wrote:I would like to see you teach the 5 minute version of the Wing T!

OK. This isn't the full Deleware wing T. Russell's offense is very basic. Not alot of plays but it demands perfect execution.
pitchfork Wrote:Totally agree. But the thing is AS you said is qualified coaches. Are they teaching what the high school sysytem is teaching.
How many coaches will the 11-13 yrs old have. And will they be teaching the Wing - T. " No " cause some don't even no it them self. Then next year when these DADDIES leave, and new DADDIES step up, those kids that were on the team will have to learn a new system again. Then the process starts over again. So where does the confusion end??????? Don't get me wrong. If the numbers can support it and it can contain itself it does work. But 3 yrs of flag, 4yrs of Pee Wee, 6th grade. The kids are chopping at the bit to play other schools.

I somewhat agree, itwould be nice to run the same system.However,my concern is the teaching of fundementals.These kids are going to have their Fr. and Sop. years to learn the wing-t. I believe they can overcome being involved in several offensive systems, but much harder to overcome 4-6 years of bad fundemental coaching or no coaching at all.
mightydog Wrote:I somewhat agree, itwould be nice to run the same system.However,my concern is the teaching of fundementals.These kids are going to have their Fr. and Sop. years to learn the wing-t. I believe they can overcome being involved in several offensive systems, but much harder to overcome 4-6 years of bad fundemental coaching or no coaching at all.

Exactly.
(raises hand) OHH ....OHH...I know the wing T also. I love the buck series....Hmm what were they..OH YEA 822,826,927,923....you got your boots your waggles...etc. You had your pitch series also. I think alot of us DADDIES could teach it pretty decent.
You could also take maybe 8 plays or so and have every 6,7,and 8th grade coach teach those plays to the kids....call them the same thing. They don't have to use the plays in a game but this way when they would come together as a post season team or later on in their careers everyone could be on the same page and you could branch other plays off those 8 or so.
FBALL Wrote:I can teach you the high schools version of the wing T in 5 minutes. It's not difficult to learn but it does take alot of reps in practice to run it right.

If running the wing T is such a big deal than why is it that the 7th grade team work mostly from the power I? It would seem to me that teaching good fundamentals and technique would be paramount when dealing with 6th, 7th and 8th graders.

Do not clump the last years 6th grade team in your post, ,they learned the high school system with both guards pulling and every defensive scheme the high school uses, They learned good fundamentals in the Pee-Wee jfl and had the chance to work as a team in the 6th and ran the high school system, ran it very well too only lost one game by 4 points.. Yea one loss for them motivated them to not loose again.. So please dont clump the 6th grade team inthe mix.. I can not help what other did but one thingis for sure.. The last years 6th grade team KNOWS the wing-T........
You guys thought I was posting my opinion before,,,,,, can you imagine the comments that are coming out now after tonight!!!!!!!!!!
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Fine!!!.......Stay on the dark side of the force......see if I care.

Funny that you say that..... After tonight he may end up going to the dark side... Very interesting JFL meeting.. voting in of coaches and things.. Funny that if you do not agree with people they get rid of you!!!!!!
And have no problems voicing their opinion to others in the meeting as long as you are not in the room.. Thats OKAY!!!!! The other ears in the room filled me in!!!!! Just remember once you say it,, it is very hard to take it back........
AM I mad.. of course.... AM I MORE SHOCKED----ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
Am I surprised.. NOT IN THE LEAST!!!!
So as I sit here waiting to be monitored for my post or have someone run tell on me for posting again,, please feel free to do so..

I am not a coach and therefor I am a parent.. I now can voice my opinion freely and you guys can talk about me behind my back as much as you want!!!!!
Have fun and enjoy the show.. showtime is about to begin and the curtain is going up....
Come on BEEPER lets tell the little kiddies to ..........."ROLL'em!!!!!!!"
Hmmmmm So I take it that things didn't go well? I just assumed they already had coaches. Most of us just get 3rd hand info anyway. Ok...Ok....most meaning ME. lol
They had head coaches but were voting in assistant coaches,,,,,It went well for a lot of people who got what they wanted...ANd the problem with the 3rd hand information is that it it usually what someone wants you to hear!!!!! and most likely never the full truth inthe matter..
No matter!!
Everyone answers to someone eventually!!!!!!
So the parents of the league vote in who gets to coach?
NO just the board members, parents have no say on what goes on there.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:NO just the board members, parents have no say on what goes on there.

Ok, so do parents sit on the board? Does the high school in anyway have any say on this feeder league? (im outside of this so I dont know the ins and outs.)
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next