Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jodie Meeks to Stay in Draft
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Some of these sour grape posts are very un-becoming. The whole "Europe bound", "lifetime D-league", "lifetime traveler" comments are nothing but kneejerk reactions and a sad commentary of how UK fans treat one of their own.

FACT: Meeks will get drafted, whether it be late first round or early 2nd round... he will find a home.

FACT: Next year's class is going to be extremely deep and had he stayed he would be sharing the court withat least 2, if not 3, players who will certainly have a higher draft stock then him next year.

Rajon Rondo wasn't drafted until the 21st pick, was traded, and is now one of the best PG's in the league.

Kelenna Azubuike was not drafted at all... he has parlayed a very successful NBA career. Meeks is a much more complete SG than Azubuike.

Chuck Hayes for all intensive purposes should have never seen the court in the NBA. He also was undrafted, now he is a very vital part of the Rockets.

Those are just examples of UK players.

Think about 2nd Round choice Gilbert Arenas, who coming out of Arizona had many of the same questions about his game as Meeks, he became one of the elite scorers in the league. The NBA are also dotted with numerous 2nd Round picks who earned a spot on a roster and rose to stardom afterwards: Rashrad Lewis, Michael Redd, and Manu Ginobili all come to mind...

Just because things didn't go the way you dreamed is no reason to treat Meeks as if he is old news and a soon to be bust. Be appareciative of the time he devoted to UK and cheer for him to be the next UK player to have a long NBA career.

outdoorsman43 Wrote:I agree EKUAlum.

Some of these comments are just unnecessary and uncalled for. Meeks thought long and hard about the decision.

Many other players around the league returned to school for next season. What does this mean?

This means that Meeks draft stock has went up even higher. He was recorded as the third fastest player in this year's draft. I agree that he has a lot to work on, but like EKUAlum said, it was just best for him to go now.

UK will be fine next year and will still be a preseason top 5 team with all the talent coming in and Patrick Patterson returning. Everyone needs to calm down and wish Jodie the best.

Good luck Jodie.

WOW - Am very glad to see two posters who get it.

How could posters be so selfish to wish Jodie anything but best wishes. He played for YOUR program and did what he was uspposed to do. Isn't college about preparing young people for their future? Isn't college about creating job opportunities that will secure you and your family for life?

Instead, we have selfish comments from folks who will sit on their couch and root for championships at the cost of a young man making a future? For those making such posts, how would you feel when everyone starts blasting you for quitting McDonalds cashier job to take the Janitors job at your local elementary school that guarantees you benefits and a raise.

Get real!

These are athletes playing a game in hopes of getting paid some day. HOW COULD ANYONE OF YOU DENY AN ATHLETE OF THAT! Are you going to commit to your job regardless of any offers that you get from someplace else? NO!

What should be most important in Jodie Meeks life. Creating a career that pays him NOW! Or stay at UK to try and help them when the couch potato's at home a National Championship? He owes you NOTHING!
JCHS05 Wrote:If you all think that Meeks isn't good enough to be in the NBA then why are you so mad the he is gone. I think his future is bright and even though i think he could have gone a lot higher next year he will go higher then some think this year and he will be a great pro.
Who's mad. Get over yourself, I could care less if you think his future is bright. You want to wager where he plays at the most NBA or Europe. **** if the GMs tell you there are only slighty interested then I figure you ain't going to high. So check out all the prediction boards and see what the experts say compared to your evualuations genious.:flame:
JOBAKKA Wrote:No disrespect meant here and no sour grapes but he will not play much in the NBA and was told so by some GM's. Also no where did I wish him any bad luck or not wish him well, just stating the facts he willo play the majority of his career in Europe and if that is what he is shooting for great, but I believe he has been given bad information on his draft status by some around him. I know most of us wishes we had an oppurtunity to play in Europe but for Jodie this is not what he wanted. After the season starts and he may be on a roster, I will wager in less than 2 years he will be in Europe. Thats all I am saying. If one of my kids makes a mistake he is still my kid so no one is abonding or throwing Meeks out. I would tell my kid if I thought he was making a mistake but I would still love him. Can you all tell the difference now.

If Kelenna Azubuike can make it in the NBA for multiple years, Jodie Meeks can definately do it as well. Meeks may very well spend his entire career in Europe, but you have not made any explanation why it is certain he will fail? Some GM's may have said he won't make it in the nBA, yet his stock has risen and he has impressed numerous teams with his workouts.

It is unanimous that Meeks will either be a late 1st Round or early 2nd round pick. I don't know many teams who would select someone in that range that they thought had no chance of panning out.
Stardust Wrote:WOW - Am very glad to see two posters who get it.

How could posters be so selfish to wish Jodie anything but best wishes. He played for YOUR program and did what he was uspposed to do. Isn't college about preparing young people for their future? Isn't college about creating job opportunities that will secure you and your family for life?

Instead, we have selfish comments from folks who will sit on their couch and root for championships at the cost of a young man making a future? For those making such posts, how would you feel when everyone starts blasting you for quitting McDonalds cashier job to take the Janitors job at your local elementary school that guarantees you benefits and a raise.

Get real!

These are athletes playing a game in hopes of getting paid some day. HOW COULD ANYONE OF YOU DENY AN ATHLETE OF THAT! Are you going to commit to your job regardless of any offers that you get from someplace else? NO!

What should be most important in Jodie Meeks life. Creating a career that pays him NOW! Or stay at UK to try and help them when the couch potato's at home a National Championship? He owes you NOTHING!
Yeah Jodie got a JOB. Best of luck to him. I always love how you post what everyone else should be posting or thinking I guess you are a member of the thought police. I hope he makes a ton but I am stating I know Jodie has been misinformed by some close and I hope he is not to disappointed in the outcome. Sorry I am not as thoughtful and compassionate as you claim to be. No where did I post anything about him playing at Kentucky my frustration was for his future. But like I said even playing in Europe is more than many of us have accomplished. again the required Best wishes.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If Kelenna Azubuike can make it in the NBA for multiple years, Jodie Meeks can definately do it as well. Meeks may very well spend his entire career in Europe, but you have not made any explanation why it is certain he will fail? Some GM's may have said he won't make it in the nBA, yet his stock has risen and he has impressed numerous teams with his workouts.

It is unanimous that Meeks will either be a late 1st Round or early 2nd round pick. I don't know many teams who would select someone in that range that they thought had no chance of panning out.
Read all the draft boards, he may suprise the prognostacaters, who knows I am basing my guess on currecnt info. Some do not have him in either round. I hope he goes first pick then he will be fine forever and we will move on
JCHS05 Wrote:If you all think that Meeks isn't good enough to be in the NBA then why are you so mad the he is gone. I think his future is bright and even though i think he could have gone a lot higher next year he will go higher then some think this year and he will be a great pro.

It's the same thought process as fans who, after we miss on a recruit, say things like "Well he wouldn't have fit in the system anyway", "he isn't as good as _____ who we are still after", "he's overrated".

Some people's opinion is solely based upon what makes them the happiest and what makes it easier for them to live in their dream world.

What I find the most comical is these same UK fans who say he will never play in the NBA and say he made a mistake would be on a polar opposite end if the arguement was different.

If Meeks were a Senior right now I guarantee everyone would be defending how NBA teams should draft him in the First Round and how he will be the next great scorer in the League.

Additionally, if Meeks had not made a decision yet and a UofL fan or a Tennessee fan tried to argue how TWill or Tyler Smith will be a better NBA player, they would fight to the death saying how Meeks will have a better career.
JOBAKKA Wrote:Read all the draft boards, he may suprise the prognostacaters, who knows I am basing my guess on currecnt info. Some do not have him in either round. I hope he goes first pick then he will be fine forever and we will move on

Some have him first round.... as I said the unanimous viewpoint is late first to early 2nd round. There are outliers on both ways.

Why don't you post us the links of where those GM's say he will not make it in the NBA?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Some have him first round.... as I said the unanimous viewpoint is late first to early 2nd round. There are outliers on both ways.

Why don't you post us the links of where those GM's say he will not make it in the NBA?
This is not exactly what was said, he was told of a low interest and what he needed to improve his ranking. His work ethic was praised. I did not get my information from any website I got it from close to Jodie, no one tells you that you wont make it in anything, that is a bold statement, it is what is said between the lines and not said. These tryouts do get you the needed information to evualuate your future and all the players are treated with respect. Jodie can play and I agree he may be able to compare to Azibuke but that is not what his camp was told. Again the required Best Wishes
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Some have him first round.... as I said the unanimous viewpoint is late first to early 2nd round. There are outliers on both ways.

On this very service bluegrassrivals there is a thread about Jodie falling off the boards
nbadraft.net and hopsworld.com not even showing him on the board. Just information not trying to sway your opinion. Just showing some data where I feel he made an error for his future. Best wishes Jodie
I hope that Jodie made the best decision for his future!

Best of luck to Meeks!
He will find a home, but if he doesn't get drafted<--unlikely, then he can come back, but he will get to live out his dream.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I think that he gets drafted, but I would love to have seen him back playing for UK and getting coaching under Calipari for next year's draft.... But, next year's draft is going to be so deep, it was a financial decision to stay in the draft this year.... Jodie will make a team and will find playing time, if JJ Redick can make a team, than Jodie Meeks will make a team....

However, here's a question, what does Coach doe with his scholarship? Save it for next year or offer it to Noel Johnson or Lance Stevenson?
Sounds like JUCO transfer Darnell Dodson will be his replacement as the 2-guard.

UK assistant Orlando Antigua said that Dodson has one of the sweetest strokes that he has even seen.
That is a good question. Who is going to be the shooting guard now that he is not coming back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Probably Darnell Dodson, but Calipari has already said that he would use both Bledsoe and Wall together in the backcourt..... Personally, I would be making a telephone call to Noel Johnson, I would much rather deal with him than Lance Stevenson.... Johnson would be at UK for three possibly four years and Stevenson already thinks he's ready for the NBA.... Also, Johnson is a 4 star recruit, so he's not some fly by player, the kid can fill it up
I like that. I think he should do that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Good Luck to Jodie. I'm glad that is over.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Some of these sour grape posts are very un-becoming. The whole "Europe bound", "lifetime D-league", "lifetime traveler" comments are nothing but kneejerk reactions and a sad commentary of how UK fans treat one of their own.

FACT: Meeks will get drafted, whether it be late first round or early 2nd round... he will find a home.

FACT: Next year's class is going to be extremely deep and had he stayed he would be sharing the court withat least 2, if not 3, players who will certainly have a higher draft stock then him next year.

Rajon Rondo wasn't drafted until the 21st pick, was traded, and is now one of the best PG's in the league.

Kelenna Azubuike was not drafted at all... he has parlayed a very successful NBA career. Meeks is a much more complete SG than Azubuike.

Chuck Hayes for all intensive purposes should have never seen the court in the NBA. He also was undrafted, now he is a very vital part of the Rockets.

Those are just examples of UK players.

Think about 2nd Round choice Gilbert Arenas, who coming out of Arizona had many of the same questions about his game as Meeks, he became one of the elite scorers in the league. The NBA are also dotted with numerous 2nd Round picks who earned a spot on a roster and rose to stardom afterwards: Rashrad Lewis, Michael Redd, and Manu Ginobili all come to mind...

Just because things didn't go the way you dreamed is no reason to treat Meeks as if he is old news and a soon to be bust. Be appareciative of the time he devoted to UK and cheer for him to be the next UK player to have a long NBA career.

:notworthy :Thumbs: :notworthy
I am glad it is over also. We can get back to looking at who is going to be on our team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

tried to say that a long time ago...nut he was coming back...thats what I was told on here...I thought he was waiting to long to pull out...another thing is that he will not have another year like this past one...so I thing he made the right decision
i personally believe that the two will go to miller and hood and in the DDM offense miller doesn't just have to be a outside shooter he can take at any time and will have teammates who can actually play this year to help with a coach.
Could anyone show a link to where he is projected to be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder....I can find him late 2nd to not been drafted
theVILLE Wrote:Could anyone show a link to where he is projected to be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder....I can find him late 2nd to not been drafted
honestly i can't but i was looking at their first two rounds and its just stupid the they have people drafting. personally the top picks are locked up and everyone else is just who will benefit them more.
beasy_bo Wrote:honestly i can't but i was looking at their first two rounds and its just stupid the they have people drafting. personally the top picks are locked up and everyone else is just who will benefit them more.

Anybody!!! show me...the news is reporting that...cant find it anywhere
does anyone have espn insider?
Mock drafts are only predictions guys. It doesn't matter what site puts together a mock draft. Everyone predicted LSU to beat UK in football in '07, but we all know who won. Same thing here with mock drafts.

Obviously a NBA GM has told him they would take him in the 1st round or early 2nd round and thats why he kept his name in the draft.
^ Good points.

Also, Jodie will be picked higher now that a lot of players have decided to return to school for next season (ex: Nic Wise of Arizona, Scottie Reynolds of Villanova, Devean Downey of South Carolina, etc.).

I respect Jodie's decision.
That is so true blackcat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I just think that if Meeks has came back and played under Coach Cal, he would have been in the first round of next years draft. He would have developed his ball handeling skills alot and the shots would have still be there for him but there would have not been anymore 54 point games.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
My opinion on this is that UK is better off with Meeks gone. He is a selfish player who was only playing for the name on the back of his jersey not the the one on the front. He made bone head mistakes time after time and took stupid shots more often than not last season. Sure they would not have won a couple games w/out Meeks in the lineup but he is more of a distraction than anything else. UK is better of w/out Meeks and thats my opinion on this. He'll never play in the league, and if he does somehow get a roster spot somewhere he will very, very, fortionate.