Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Calipari has Resigned as Memphis Head Coach
BlackcatAlum Wrote:John Clay of LHL is who initially reported that a team meeting would be at 4:30pm.

Lol, team meeting is probably at 4:45.
It's official.

The contract is rumored to be worth about $40 million over six years, an NCAA-record $6.67 million per anum.

http://memphis.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=930002
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:Lol, team meeting is probably at 4:45.
:thatsfunn
Now hopefully we get all the recruits.
http://memphis.rivals.com/

Its pretty much a done deal. There is a new highest paid coach in the NCAA. 40 mil over 6 years.

As for the 4:30 meeting. It has already been scheduled before any of this. This is a regular meeting they always have at the end of the season, to adress off season workout schedule.
Memphis news reporter said that current players Robert Sallie & Wesley Witherspoon will likely transfer to UK.
this is awesome! i just wish that they would show it on tv. i hope those 2 players plus John Wall and Derick Cousins come as well.
Sallie should have came to UK anyway!!
:biggrin: I didnt know Kentucky was on a coaching search:eyeroll:
with cousins and wall, an assuming orton still comes, wouldn't that put us in the top 5 recruiting class.
cbs sportsline is reporting that UK will hire Cal in next 48 hours.
by Leroy Watson

More on the Tigers
Tigers land No. 1 PF
2010 FB offers
PG contingency plan

The John Calipari era is over at the University of Memphis. Apparently, Calipari could not resist the lure of what he calls ‘the Notre Dame of college basketball.’ He has rejected the counteroffer from Memphis and will sign on and be introduced as the new Wildcats’ head coach as soon as late this afternoon. [details]
John Calipari is one more step closer to being a wildcat.
Date: Monday, March 30, 2009 4:20:00 PM
All indications suggest that John Calipari of Memphis is Kentucky s choice to be its new basketball coach.
UK president Lee Todd declined to confirm Calipari as the leading candidate. But when asked about the process on Monday, Todd said, It s going to move quickly.

Memphis Athletic Director R.C. Johnson said Monday that he has granted permission for Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhardt to talk with Calipari about replacing Billy Gillispie. Such permission usually serves as one of the final steps in the hiring process.

However, I will tell you that we are elated with the job John has done as our head coach and we will do everything in our power to retain his services at Memphis, Johnson said in a statement .

Potential stumbling blocks remain. No one has a source saying UK and Calipari have agreed to a salary. Memphis is paying him in excess of $3 million per year. There was talk in Memphis of UK offering Calipari six years and $40 million.

view link »
ESPN college basketball commentator **** Vitale spoke enthusiastically about the prospects of Calipari becoming Kentucky’s coach.

“He would be a grand slam,” Vitale said, “an absolute grand slam. He brings the whole package, the (Rick) Pitino package.”
Great news for kentucky.. congrats
it would also be great is they get Cousin ( i think that was his name) to come along
On Rivals, Wall Cousins and Henry are the 1,2,3 in their class, could you imagine the 1,2,3,22, and 32 all coming to Kentucky?
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:On Rivals, Wall Cousins and Henry are the 1,2,3 in their class, could you imagine the 1,2,3,22, and 32 all coming to Kentucky?

That might be an alright team. :biggrin:
Im pumped! This is great news to hear. Watching ESPNews at the moment, and Kats is saying that this is pretty much a done deal. Pintino and Coach C hates each other!
WSAZ just reported it as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
now. if they can just get xaiver henry in lexington then they should easily be a pre-season top 5 team. but im saying henry will go where ever his brother decides to, which his brother is currently on the memphis roster but didnt play any. so i dont know the deal there.
sure would be nice if those top 3 recruits came with him!
If Calipari comes to UK, I see Dakotah Euton de-committing, there won't be a need for him at UK if Calipari's recruits come, and his two players transfer.
There are reports now saying that Memphis's boosters have matched UK's offer. I don't think that Memphis can compete with UK in a bidding war, but should be an interesting evening as new reports & rumors will circulate.

So all of this may have been about the money and not tradition, which doesn't surprise me at all.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:There are reports now saying that Memphis's boosters have matched UK's offer. I don't think that Memphis can compete with UK in a bidding war, but should be an interesting evening as new reports & rumors will circulate.

So all of this may have been about the money and not tradition, which doesn't surprise me at all.

Memphis has a huge Booster, Fed Ex, they can match UK all day. I'm surprised they didn't exceed UK's offer.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:Memphis has a huge Booster, Fed Ex, they can match UK all day. I'm surprised they didn't exceed UK's offer.

I seriously doubt that FedEx would push that much money for a coach.

Boosters are made of a school's alumni, Kentucky has Outback Steakhouse, Dell, horse owners, some alums from the coal industry, bourbon industry, etc.
This is so exciting.

If they don't do something soon, I might have a breakdown!
ESPN just reported that Calipari and Kentucky are moving closer to make a deal.
Here is an updated article on ESPN.com...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

Jay Bilas stated moments ago on ESPN that Calipari to Kentucky is a done deal.