Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Gillispie Fired!!!
Seriously guys don't get my hopes up. I wish they would get rid of Billy G. He is not a very good coach. The first time UK hasn't been in the Big Dance since '91and they would have made it that year if not for being on probation and a 4 seed in the NIT, this is embarassing. Tubby looks good now doesn't he. Minnesota was at the bottom of the Big Ten before he came and now look where they are, in the Big Dance as 9 or 10 seed, somewhere we are not. IMO Gillespe needs to go.
So if we win the SEC next year, but loose in the sweet 16 would you want him gone?
cougarpride08 Wrote:So if we win the SEC next year, but loose in the sweet 16 would you want him gone?
thats the mentality of the crazy UK fans:1: i mean i have expectations too but Rome wasn't built in a day:ChairHit:
cricket Wrote:Seriously guys don't get my hopes up. I wish they would get rid of Billy G. He is not a very good coach. The first time UK hasn't been in the Big Dance since '91and they would have made it that year if not for being on probation and a 4 seed in the NIT, this is embarassing. Tubby looks good now doesn't he. Minnesota was at the bottom of the Big Ten before he came and now look where they are, in the Big Dance as 9 or 10 seed, somewhere we are not. IMO Gillespe needs to go.
BCG is the best ever :Cheerlead :1: i want him at UK for the rest of his life OH YEAH:rockonConfusederiously though he wouldn't be here if he couldn't recruit and coach.
Man, Tubby was a better coach than o gillespie. Kentucky would not give tubby any chance. Tubby did alot of good for the University of Kentucky.

FIRE GILLESPIE!!!!
Morganfan22 Wrote:Man, Tubby was a better coach than o gillespie. Kentucky would not give tubby any chance. Tubby did alot of good for the University of Kentucky.

FIRE GILLESPIE!!!!

You serious?
Morganfan22 Wrote:Man, Tubby was a better coach than o gillespie. Kentucky would not give tubby any chance. Tubby did alot of good for the University of Kentucky.

FIRE GILLESPIE!!!!

NIne Years...Thats a long chance...he had nine Lives as been a cat and he died off to a gopher.... Sure stardust he won a champioship but ot with his team...He had done nothing much since....Especially his last 3 or 4 years
Tubby still did more than gillispie will ever do with UK.
As much as I hate to say it I totally agree about Tubby, being a better coach that Gillesppi how many times did kentucky ever miss the NCAA tournament with Tubby as coach, even if we didnt have Tubbys recruits he still got the job done.
With today's economic climate, does anyone think that UK would consider buying BCG's contract. He has a $6M buyout clause. Unless there is serious money from the UK supporters, I can't see the school being able to afford it.
in my opinion, tubby rode pitino's coat tails to get to the top at kentucky.Yeah he won a championship but with pitino's team. You take away Pitino's recruiting and tubby would not have made it.
betsylaynealum Wrote:in my opinion, tubby rode pitino's coat tails to get to the top at kentucky.Yeah he won a championship but with pitino's team. You take away Pitino's recruiting and tubby would not have made it.

What???? Tubby has the best winning % of any Kentucky coach all-time????? He was here for 10 years. Pitino's kids were long gone....
For once we agree on something stardust. Tubby did win without Ricks recruits, he had them in the tournament every year no matter what, unlike the piece of crap we have now.
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:For once we agree on something stardust. Tubby did win without Ricks recruits, he had them in the tournament every year no matter what, unlike the piece of crap we have now.
Tubby's last year UK was on the bubble and barely got in.
DevilsWin Wrote:Tubby's last year UK was on the bubble and barely got in.

Well, this year Gillispie couldn't even get them in at all.
Stardust Wrote:What???? Tubby has the best winning % of any Kentucky coach all-time????? He was here for 10 years. Pitino's kids were long gone....

No he doesn't.

Rick Pitino .814
Tubby Smith .760
jetpilot Wrote:It was said that UK would have to pay Gillispie $6MM to terminate the "memo of understanding," and that would look real bad in this economy with several departments on campus having to cut back.
It might look bad but, the thing is, this money would come from the athletic department which gets no money from the University but rather through ticket sales, memorabilia, donations, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kybaseball Wrote:No he doesn't.

Rick Pitino .814
Tubby Smith .760

Booyah!!!!!
Stardust Wrote:What???? Tubby has the best winning % of any Kentucky coach all-time????? He was here for 10 years. Pitino's kids were long gone....

HOW COME HE NEVER WON A CHAMPIONSHIP BESIDES WITH PITINOS BOYS....Yeah he hast at VILLE YET.....
He had what he had. Doesn't matter who's boys he had. That is the team Tubby had.
Heres what I would do. John Calipari built UMass into a nice program the time he was there, found out that coaching in the NBA was a joke, and has built Memphis into a powerhouse. He is a GREAT recruiter, plays the style of ball that every UK fan has missed since the Pitino days, and is steadily good each and every year. His teams reload. He has done everything but win a championship, and he's done it at two programs that werent known for their basketball tradition. If a guy like Calipari comes to UK, he'll be granted the challenge of rebuilding our tradition. I think he's up for it. I honestely believe that he wont be in over his head like Gillispie, and is the guy that will lead our program back to prominence (sp?)..so I would ask him to name his price and bring him to Lexington, which is a much nicer city than Memphis anyways, lol..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You should know to do your homework before posting inaccurate statements like that. Especially, when thats one of the main arguments you have against theVILLE.

Rupp- 82%
Pitino-81%
Tubby-76%
Joe B Hall-75%

If Tubby would have stayed another year he would have most likely dropped below Joe B on the all time winning percentage list.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Heres what I would do. John Calipari built UMass into a nice program the time he was there, found out that coaching in the NBA was a joke, and has built Memphis into a powerhouse. He is a GREAT recruiter, plays the style of ball that every UK fan has missed since the Pitino days, and is steadily good each and every year. His teams reload. He has done everything but win a championship, and he's done it at two programs that werent known for their basketball tradition. If a guy like Calipari comes to UK, he'll be granted the challenge of rebuilding our tradition. I think he's up for it. I honestely believe that he wont be in over his head like Gillispie, and is the guy that will lead our program back to prominence (sp?)..so I would ask him to name his price and bring him to Lexington, which is a much nicer city than Memphis anyways, lol..

I don't think UK would put their program in the hands of a coach that had to leave U-Mass because of the problems they had while he was there. He elected to take a job in the Pro's instead of being sanctioned by the NCAA after the 96 season.
UK can't afford to allow someone who is dirty to come in and run this program.
The only good coach out there that could be open to an offer and qualified is the guy from Wisconsin IMO.
Beef Wrote:It might look bad but, the thing is, this money would come from the athletic department which gets no money from the University but rather through ticket sales, memorabilia, donations, etc.

The money would come from " The friends of the program "as it always does in these situations.
right now BCG is trying to coach his style of b-ball with tubby's style of players. but it wasn't really the coach's fault when he only had 2 players step up to the plate the whole year. some coach i dont remember who it was after a game. but reporter asked this game makes you look like a good coach. he replied with good players make you look llike a good coach
Since brooks got more than two year, then the university will give him one more year to improve.
As bad as I hate to say it Gillispie is gone!!!! There's been ample opportunities for the administration to step up and show their undying support for this coach and its yet to happen. There's something very odd going on in Lexington right now and it all points to the release of Gillispie. Multiple rumors from very very reliable sources have spread like wildfire throughout the commonwealth, the biggest being a slip from Pitino, and all it would take is a few kind words from Barnhart or Todd to dispel these rumors. Again, nothing has been said. Im telling you I would almost bet my house on it that Gillispie is gone and I would almost had a month's salary to that bet that Billy Donovan will be the next coach of the UK basketball team. I guess we'll see after a loss in the NIT by both UK and Florida. Until then let the rumors fly!!!!
DevilsWin Wrote:Tubby's last year UK was on the bubble and barely got in.

:1: yep and kind of like arizona this year we didn't deserve it. at least arizona made it to the sweet 16 and they shut me up cause that was the worst call ever by the committee.
If they fire him, I hope UK loses every game with the new coach.