Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is cheerleading considered a sport @ your school?
and does the girls have to raise money or are they treated equal to basketball,baseball,etc
I might be goin out on a limb here, but I am gonna say 95% of the schools give their cheer squads nothing because they are not recognized as a sport by the KHSAA and yet the cheer squads are the first thing to be thrown under the bus, when it comes to doing something that will help the administrators out of a pickle.
In KY cheerleading is not recognized as a sport (as far as I know). Anything that the girls/boys need, they have to raise the money theirselves. Cheer teams get absolutely no help.
Can I get an AMEN to BOTH of the above posts!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Amen
LOL.... I do so agree that cheerleading is left "out in the cold" so to speak.... I know when I cheered, if we went to a competition, we had to raise every single penny of the cost... NOTHING... and I mean NOTHING was given to us to help with even uniforms.... That had to be done by us as well or either pay for them out of pocket.....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Yet who is the first group called upon to appear in public in uniform.... who is used as the FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE WHEN ADMINISTRATORS WANT TO LOOK AS THOUGH THEY'RE DOIN ALL THEY CAN IN TITLE IX REVIEW..... who is only ever expected to buy the paper/paint/brushes and decorate for every major sport.... who buys the candy and fills the treat bags before games... who is expected to raise their own money and fund themselves solely.......

THE CHEERLEADERS

THAT'S WHO....
and then the KHSAA refuses to acknowledge them as the athletes
they are....
A M A Z I N G....
and it's not just this group of KHSAA folks... this is a generational type of discrimination....
So you have to know it will take a freak type of thing to reverse it... like having an African American Male elected President of the United States of America.....Confusedhh:
Cheering is considered a sport here at Valley!!!!........
Yes and very expensive
At Russell the cheerleaders practice at least 3 times a week football through baseball. After that most of them are on private dance teams or something athletic. Our chearleaders even run and lift 1 time a week.
this is were the legendary Mattie Brown started isnt it.
Who??????
wat u mean u never heard of mattie brown she a 9 time kchh champ plus shes the only cheerleader to ever complete a 720 quadrople 360 bicycle kick, tail spin, backflip
O nice!
Devilfann84 Wrote:wat u mean u never heard of mattie brown she a 9 time kchh champ plus shes the only cheerleader to ever complete a 720 quadrople 360 bicycle kick, tail spin, backflip

Was this meant to be sarcastic?
cheerleading is not a sport they are just a bunch of girls in short uniforms
Isnt Matie Brown in the KCH Hall of fame?? Or is that just a rumor?
it is considered a sport at my school....but we are very independent for our selves....we have to be....we are not equal to basketball or football here.
Cheerleading is most definately a sport
No it isn't at my school.
They aren't recognized as a sport by KHSAA. Yet they still have to adhere to the KHSAA Regs. as far as "dead periods" and only allowed so many comps. And you guys are right. They don't get sqaut from their schools.
I think it is!
I believe it is a sport anywhere.
Requires the same dedication and hard work as any other sport.
Hilbily Wrote:Requires the same dedication and hard work as any other sport.

Well said.
IISnakE Wrote:Yet who is the first group called upon to appear in public in uniform.... who is used as the FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE WHEN ADMINISTRATORS WANT TO LOOK AS THOUGH THEY'RE DOIN ALL THEY CAN IN TITLE IX REVIEW..... who is only ever expected to buy the paper/paint/brushes and decorate for every major sport.... who buys the candy and fills the treat bags before games... who is expected to raise their own money and fund themselves solely.......

THE CHEERLEADERS

THAT'S WHO....
and then the KHSAA refuses to acknowledge them as the athletes
they are....
A M A Z I N G....
and it's not just this group of KHSAA folks... this is a generational type of discrimination....
So you have to know it will take a freak type of thing to reverse it... like having an African American Male elected President of the United States of America.....Confusedhh:

Very nicely said, and the end made me laugh
Cheerleaders do not go by the same regs. They have their on set of rules. For instance they do not have any transfer rules for cheerleading. But they are very athletic and should be considered a sport.
anyone that doesn't think cheerleading is a sport come down to morehead and tell it to some of the male cheerleaders if they think its a sport. most of them are 2x bigger and more muscular as any athletes i know
cheerleading isnt considered a sport at my school either
we have to raise money for everything we do and everyone at our school thinks its so easy but really its so hard its in-humane if u think about it...
When I went to high school at Pikeville I can't say that people regarded cheerleading the same as they did football or basketball, but our girls definitely had some respect for what they did. Personally, I consider cheerleading a sport. Some of the best athletes I've seen.