Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hooking Laptop up to TV
I have the DVI cable that plugs into the HDMI port on the tv but i can't get the picture on the tv. I'm not sure how to do this so any help would be appreciated.
Does your TV have diffent modes on it like video 1 video 2 if so it is the mode that says VGA
BatCat11 Wrote:Does your TV have diffent modes on it like video 1 video 2 if so it is the mode that says VGA
It doesn't have a VGA mode, but an HDMI mode. I tried that with no luck.
Panther Thunder Wrote:It doesn't have a VGA mode, but an HDMI mode. I tried that with no luck.
What brand of TV do you have
BatCat11 Wrote:What brand of TV do you have
Toshiba.
Try the HDMI mode, and if its a laptop there may be a Function button labeled to the right of your windows button on your keyboard. Press that while simulatenously pressing one of the f1-f12 keys which should be detailed with the symbol of two tv's on it. This should switch the source from the default monitor to your tv.
what is your operating system on your laptop?

also are you is the output of your laptop (hdmi, vga, dvi?) and you are plugging it into your hdmi port of your tv?
ryandamaste5 Wrote:Try the HDMI mode, and if its a laptop there may be a Function button labeled to the right of your windows button on your keyboard. Press that while simulatenously pressing one of the f1-f12 keys which should be detailed with the symbol of two tv's on it. This should switch the source from the default monitor to your tv.

Usually F7 that swaps the screen from laptop to external source
Better buy an IPTV
Also you could try having everything hooked up and the TV turned on.
Then what you want to do is completely restart your laptop, it might need to detect it while it is doing POST.
Try a chromecast it will stream directly to Tv from laptop
You can connect DVI to an HDMI port on a newer monitor with a small digital convertor. However, since DVI doesn’t support audio, you’ll need to use a separate cable for audio when connecting to an HDMI port.This makes DVI one of the more versatile newer connectors. It’s both backwards and forward compatible, though at the loss of some convenience. You can also connect an older monitor that only includes a VGA port with a DVI port easily via a similar DVI to VGA converter if your video output supports analog video.
Highly recommend a Chromecast as well. The ability to both stream movies, view your computer as well as play Youtube locally versus streaming makes i well worth the $35.
I agree with the Chromecast.