•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold backs
Goal line and Tigerbait must have been picked on by older kids when they were little.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Goal line and Tigerbait must have been picked on by older kids when they were little.

Smile Smile Smile Not hardly.
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:Smile Smile Smile Not hardly.

Ytb your being profiled because of your avatar:ape: Big Grin
, for me I don’t know:graduate:
What you kidding? Look at the guns on that dude.
Talk about guns on a 6th grader look at this pic !!!!!!!

http://www.martyconleyphotography.smugmu...5115_JKYKT

The kid in the blue is a 6th grader we played against this year.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Talk about guns on a 6th grader look at this pic !!!!!!!

http://www.martyconleyphotography.smugmu...5115_JKYKT

The kid in the blue is a 6th grader we played against this year.

True 6th grader:Thumbs: :Thumbs:
From http://education.ky.gov"Average per-pupil spending in Kentucky is about $6,850 each year. Out of that money, schools pay for instruction, administration and operations."
WOW!!!Confusedhh: Confusedhh: :eek:
I have sat here reading these post now for awhile and thought I would put my two centys worth in here.

I am the parent of a hold back child that played football. First and formost football was not the reason. If any parent has a child that struggles they understand what I am saying.The best thing I ever done for my son was hold him back.He went from a kid that had a hard time reading to a kid that makes the honor roll all the time

Did holding my son help him with football? My answer would be no. He attends a very small school that does't even have a football program.He never even started playing until the end of his 5th grade year.So basically holding my son never helped one bit in sports.

I have seen people hold their valedictorians back to play one more year of middle school sports, Watched teachers hold their on children back to get that one more year in. Do I think that is wrong ,to me yes, but obviously to them it would be no.We are talking about middle school kids, lets get serious here for a minute.Anything can happen especially in football.One bad hit and that is all it takes for these kids not to play football again.I think alot of parents need to realise that little Johnny might not be in the NFL.Exactly how many scholarships r out there for these young kids? Very fewl Let these kids enjoy their moment because this may be all they ever have.

I think it is every parents decision, there are rules that govern these middle school sports and personally I am glad of it.Football has helped my son tremendously, for me it is not about the big W. (don't get me wrong we all want to win) It is more about the discipline, work ethic, being a team player etc.I want my son to be the best person he can be and holding him back was a hard decision. But, in our minds we did the best thing for our son.Every parent has to make that decision for themselves.
Good grades:thumpsup: ,"GOon" :flame: BAD grades ":nope: PLAY".........any sport ..........and work on it(Academics):graduate: .Remember theTAXPAYERS $$$$ not the titans Big Grin Big Grin
Goal line,
Remember your not the only person paying taxes. The parents that choose to hold their children back pay the same type of taxes that you pay and it's their right as a parent to make that decision as far as holding back their child that they payed their hard earned tax dollars on. This post can go on and on because you are single minded and do not want to hear that their are different reasons for every circumstance, you are just set in thinking that ALL holdbacks are bad. That's fine for you but what about that child that's in need of feeling successful at something and he's half way decent at sports but not socially or mentally ready to enter high school??? Is it wrong for that child to receive some positive reinforcement that may just keep him or her in school in the future, if your a parent you will say NO that's it's an individual decision for individual children. What do you think about my decision to hold my child back when he was in the first grade? Was it wrong for me to do it then? He will turn 15 in his 8th grade year, end of year but he will be 15 during his 8th grade year.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Goal line,
Remember your not the only person paying taxes. The parents that choose to hold their children back pay the same type of taxes that you pay and it's their right as a parent to make that decision as far as holding back their child that they payed their hard earned tax dollars on. This post can go on and on because you are single minded and do not want to hear that their are different reasons for every circumstance, you are just set in thinking that ALL holdbacks are bad. That's fine for you but what about that child that's in need of feeling successful at something and he's half way decent at sports but not socially or mentally ready to enter high school??? Is it wrong for that child to receive some positive reinforcement that may just keep him or her in school in the future, if your a parent you will say NO that's it's an individual decision for individual children. What do you think about my decision to hold my child back when he was in the first grade? Was it wrong for me to do it then? He will turn 15 in his 8th grade year, end of year but he will be 15 during his 8th grade year.

I totally agree!!Big Grin
Lambert #1 Wrote:Goal line,
:yes: Your right.I'm not the only person paying taxes. I said TAXPAYER with a S at the END "TAXPAYERS"....:notworthy:graduate:For the other jibber jabber, thats your jmoWink :popcorn: :closed:
i'm telling right now boys the school districts should start making these parents start paying the 6k+a year out of their pocket. then lets see how many hold backs we have.Wink

i think we have covered the circumstances pretty well. 99% hold backs are for sports people just don't want to admitt it.
I have seen lots of taxpayers money wasted on a lot of things over the years, but giving any child an extra year of education whether it's for maturity, socialization, or even sports wouldn't be at the top of the list.

:please:
hey if a kid needs to stay back for maturity or other legitiment reasons then i am all for it. i have stated that in a earlier post. if this is the case then that is a handful to overcome and there is no time for sports, also when a kid is held back for maturity reasons most of the time they still act immature anyway because they are around immature kids all day long. you can always tell who are the ones do it for sports because they are the ones that yell the loudest with all the lame excuses.quit being ashamed and just admit it and go on QUIT using the immature card. that would put an end to arguments like this one. we all know there are advantages to doing it.

i'm outta here i have better things to do rather than listening to all the whinning and lame excuses of unneccesarly holding kids back because that is exactly what is doing to kids holding them back.
Well said ytb:rockon: , parents go ahead andWink brainwashWink your child on :flame: holding them back for "SPORTS", i don'T care DONE:devilflam :devilflam
Alright TigerBait and goal-line,
We had plenty of holdback's on our team this year and we won lots of games and the holdbacks helped a lot. I'm glad the parents chose to hold those kids back because it can do nothing but help our high school program in the future, I like the idea of holding kids back for sports, it gives them that extra year of playing and hopefully let them develop their skills and possibly help them earn that hard to get scholarship someday. That's what you want to hear anyway whether it's the truth or not so I'll say it to get you to shut the heck up with your babbling about tax dollars wasted. Regardless of what you think our boys are the Big Sandy Conference Champs and we did it with several holdbacks. Hope Coach can get a few more to hold back next year so we can make another run at it. But I'm willing to bet that every other team except Belfry had holdbacks on their team, and they probably had them with the exception that they were held back before the 6th grade. That's they way I feel about it, along with the fact that I still think that it's good for maturity both mental and physical and also the fact that it's really none of your business what people do with their own children.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Alright TigerBait and goal-line,
We had plenty of holdback's on our team this year and we won lots of games and the holdbacks helped a lot. I'm glad the parents chose to hold those kids back because it can do nothing but help our high school program in the future, I like the idea of holding kids back for sports, it gives them that extra year of playing and hopefully let them develop their skills and possibly help them earn that hard to get scholarship someday. That's what you want to hear anyway whether it's the truth or not so I'll say it to get you to shut the heck up with your babbling about tax dollars wasted. Regardless of what you think our boys are the Big Sandy Conference Champs and we did it with several holdbacks. Hope Coach can get a few more to hold back next year so we can make another run at it. But I'm willing to bet that every other team except Belfry had holdbacks on their team, and they probably had them with the exception that they were held back before the 6th grade. That's they way I feel about it, along with the fact that I still think that it's good for maturity both mental and physical and also the fact that it's really none of your business what people do with their own children.

Great post.....As far as I know and I have inside info Belfry had about 3 and one of those has a Sept. 20th birthday which made him start school really young. In fact he is a month older than my son who is a (true) 8th grader. It should be left up to the parents to decide and is no one business, it is their tax dollars too!
Lambert #1 Wrote:Alright TigerBait and goal-line,

thank you for being willing to admit it was for sports .

your right it is the parents business what they do with their children, however i along with everybody else is sick and tired of the lame excuses why they do it.when i have to listen to it over and over then it becomes my business,or you got this hulking 15 yr old blasting a 13yr old when the 15 yr old has no business being held back in the first place then yeah that's my business too.

and about the wasted tax dollars what about the people that have no kids i bet they like paying for a second year.

how can you expect a kid to mature when they are with kids less mature then they are all day?that is just a excuse.

oh yeah studies show that kids that are held back have the greater drop out rates than ones that don't get held back.thats got to be real good for the maturity of a child. and before anyone starts hollering weres the proof ,go sit in a inservice meeting for 8 hrs and hear it for yourself from people are smarter than all of us.
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:thank you for being willing to admit it was for sports .

your right it is the parents business what they do with their children, however i along with everybody else is sick and tired of the lame excuses why they do it.when i have to listen to it over and over then it becomes my business,or you got this hulking 15 yr old blasting a 13yr old when the 15 yr old has no business being held back in the first place then yeah that's my business too.

and about the wasted tax dollars what about the people that have no kids i bet they like paying for a second year.

how can you expect a kid to mature when they are with kids less mature then they are all day?that is just a excuse.

oh yeah studies show that kids that are held back have the greater drop out rates than ones that don't get held back.thats got to be real good for the maturity of a child. and before anyone starts hollering weres the proof ,go sit in a inservice meeting for 8 hrs and hear it for yourself from people are smarter than all of us.

wow:thumpsup: :Cheerlead ytb your smarter than you look.:theman:Big Grin Big Grin
I think its all up to the family if they want to hold their children back and i think they should be able to do it
Goal-line,
No he's not smarter than he looks. I have teachers in my family and they are the first to tell you that for some kids the right answer is to hold them back, not all holdbacks are dropouts, some of those holdbacks thrive and become leaders because of the extra year. And drop the tax dollar excuse, your going to be paying taxes the rest of your life whether its for holdback kids or not. Do you really think that if that one child doesnt hold back your taxes are going to less. I do agree that if it's an advanced child with no maturity issues and they are already advanced they have no business holding back. However, that shy introveted child that is behind academically but NOT failing, no self esteem, average athlete that struggles, no incentive from home, why is it wrong to hold this child back to try to help him. That's what's the school system is supposed to do. We can push these unmotivated kids through school and most of them end up drowing a check for the rest of their life because they have never been motivated. Holding back is not for all children but for you to say that if a child holds back they shouldn't be allowed to play sports is ridiculous, sports is not always about winning and losing and being bigger than everyone else, it's about giving that child a chance to succeed at something and sometimes that something does not have to be academics. I can't speak for all counties but in Letcher County the rate of drop outs that are holdbacks is not very high, our holdbacks tend to excell when they move on to the high school level. This my last post on this issue and hope that it will be closed soon because ultimately it's none of our business.
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:hey if a kid needs to stay back for maturity or other legitiment reasons then i am all for it. i have stated that in a earlier post. if this is the case then that is a handful to overcome and there is no time for sports, also when a kid is held back for maturity reasons most of the time they still act immature anyway because they are around immature kids all day long. you can always tell who are the ones do it for sports because they are the ones that yell the loudest with all the lame excuses.quit being ashamed and just admit it and go on QUIT using the immature card. that would put an end to arguments like this one. we all know there are advantages to doing it.

i'm outta here i have better things to do rather than listening to all the whinning and lame excuses of unneccesarly holding kids back because that is exactly what is doing to kids holding them back.

So what are your main reasons for being against holdbacks? Why does it bother you so much if a parent holds their kid back a year, even if it's for sports? Is it because your kid doesn't have a birthday that allows them to holdback? If so, what's the difference in your kid being older than other kids in their grade or someone holding their kid back to be older than your kid?
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:hey if a kid needs to stay back for maturity or other legitiment reasons then i am all for it. i have stated that in a earlier post. if this is the case then that is a handful to overcome and there is no time for sports, also when a kid is held back for maturity reasons most of the time they still act immature anyway because they are around immature kids all day long. you can always tell who are the ones do it for sports because they are the ones that yell the loudest with all the lame excuses.quit being ashamed and just admit it and go on QUIT using the immature card. that would put an end to arguments like this one. we all know there are advantages to doing it.

...and what's wrong with trying to gain an advantage for your kid, as long as it's within the rules? It's why we send them to camps, work with them on the side, study with them, take them to games, get them certain types equipment to use, etc., all to try and gain an advantage over their counterparts.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Goal-line,
No he's not smarter than he looks. I have teachers in my family and they are the first to tell you that for some kids the right answer is to hold them back, not all holdbacks are dropouts, some of those holdbacks thrive and become leaders because of the extra year. And drop the tax dollar excuse, your going to be paying taxes the rest of your life whether its for holdback kids or not. Do you really think that if that one child doesnt hold back your taxes are going to less. I do agree that if it's an advanced child with no maturity issues and they are already advanced they have no business holding back. However, that shy introveted child that is behind academically but NOT failing, no self esteem, average athlete that struggles, no incentive from home, why is it wrong to hold this child back to try to help him. That's what's the school system is supposed to do. We can push these unmotivated kids through school and most of them end up drowing a check for the rest of their life because they have never been motivated. Holding back is not for all children but for you to say that if a child holds back they shouldn't be allowed to play sports is ridiculous, sports is not always about winning and losing and being bigger than everyone else, it's about giving that child a chance to succeed at something and sometimes that something does not have to be academics. I can't speak for all counties but in Letcher County the rate of drop outs that are holdbacks is not very high, our holdbacks tend to excell when they move on to the high school level. This my last post on this issue and hope that it will be closed soon because ultimately it's none of our business.

I may just have an extremley close relationship with a teacher as well. And I will take there word on it. Just so you know they are pretty bright.Wink

sports king my problem is not holding a kid back it's all the lame excuses parents they use cry around why they do it .they don't hold water i have proven every one of their little points wrong. If they do it for sports then so be it.quit being ashamed and admit it. i certianly would.
I'm not ashamed :rockon: .Are you ytb?:howdy: :howdy: :howdy:
goal_line Wrote:I'm not ashamed :rockon: .Are you ytb?:howdy: :howdy: :howdy:

no i sure am not.
For me as a parent I pay my taxesSad , got smart kids make good grades top of their classWink “NOT HELD BACK”Big Grin oh yea real good sports:rockon: too. Once again NOPE not ashamed got a clear conscience, sleep good feel good.
SportsKing Wrote:...and what's wrong with trying to gain an advantage for your kid, as long as it's within the rules? It's why we send them to camps, work with them on the side, study with them, take them to games, get them certain types equipment to use, etc., all to try and gain an advantage over their counterparts.

i do all the above for mine too.

did i say there was anything wrong with it? i was just offering counters to everyone about the tax issue.and the maturity issue which holds no water in my book.the only thing i said was wrong was all the lame excuses people use other than the real reason behind it.
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:I may just have an extremley close relationship with a teacher as well. And I will take there word on it. Just so you know they are pretty bright.Wink

sports king my problem is not holding a kid back it's all the lame excuses parents they use cry around why they do it .they don't hold water i have proven every one of their little points wrong. If they do it for sports then so be it.quit being ashamed and admit it. i certianly would.

Not proven, just given an opinion. And you know what they say about those..
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next