Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Central 50 Clark Co 14 Middle School
Congratulations to the new middle school team on making a statment with this big win. I heard about this game from high school coach. Can someone give stats? Don't know who all scored in the game. I know we play Hazard Tuesday.
Thats right! This time on Tuesday 8/26/08 Letcher County Cougars beat Hazard Bulldogs, 36-6.
Way to go COUGARS!!!!!
IS this the consolidated team of Whitesburg, East and West Letcher? I think they we are coming over this way to play the New Harlan Patriots on Sept. 4? My schedule says Whitesburg, but I bet this is the team.
Yes Mama Bear. This is Whitesburg/East Letcher and West Letcher combined.
Finally. Would have loved to have seen this 3 years ago...Keep on keepin on Cougars!
they play sebastian middle school saturday at sebastian.
Letcher cougars will win conferance
Big Game This S-day.
When do they play New Harlan?
The other night at the high school game I heard they play New Harlan this coming Thursday at New Harlan. If my information is right I think they are both undefeated right now going into that game. I think it will be a good game but I probably give the edge to New Harlan in a close/tough defensive game. I think LCC Junior High needs that one huge win to be considered one of the best teams in the mountains. What does everyone else think?
LCC 16 - Sebastian 0
Sebastian is the most improved team in the Big Sandy. Their Defense was outstanding and the QB was great on both sides of the ball. Congrats to the Cougars on another big win. They are solid on both offense and defense but their defense is what's winning them games right now.
Lambert #1 Wrote:The other night at the high school game I heard they play New Harlan this coming Thursday at New Harlan. If my information is right I think they are both undefeated right now going into that game. I think it will be a good game but I probably give the edge to New Harlan in a close/tough defensive game. I think LCC Junior High needs that one huge win to be considered one of the best teams in the mountains. What does everyone else think?

The New Harlan Patriots will be playing host to the Cougars Thursday 9/4/08 (at Cawood High School's field). This should be a great game to see. The PATS are now 2-0. The 5/6 grade team is 2-0. My schedule says it's a double header. We are hearing good things about this Letcher team.
Mama Bear,
I agree, this will be a great game between two well coached teams. I may actually drive over there that night to watch the game. I hear that you all have a very big and physical team and that you all really play the game the way it's supposed to be played. This Letcher County team was just consolidated three weeks or so and I'm not sure if they are ready to play a team like you guys yet. I didn't know they were going to play a 5th and 6th grade game that night.
This game may give us a glimpse into the future Black Bear Vs Cougar match ups in high school. I'm excited about this one. Big Grin
Mama Bear,

You are correct. This will give us a glimpse into the future, well at least 4 years into the future. Now you guys will be getting the kids from the Cumberland team and who else? What teams make up the New Harlan Junior High team?
Over here it's made up of the old West Letcher, East Letcher and Whitesburg teams. According to what I hear you all have a potential Division1 player in the Lewis kid. I look forward to watching him in the future for sure.
So the Patriots and Cougars are going to tangle this week. Bet it will be a dandy! Good luck Cougars!!!! Show 'em what you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lambert #1 Wrote:Mama Bear,

You are correct. This will give us a glimpse into the future, well at least 4 years into the future. Now you guys will be getting the kids from the Cumberland team and who else? What teams make up the New Harlan Junior High team?
Over here it's made up of the old West Letcher, East Letcher and Whitesburg teams. According to what I hear you all have a potential Division1 player in the Lewis kid. I look forward to watching him in the future for sure.

The high school will be fed by the New Harlan Patriots, Cumberland Redskins, and the Evarts Wildcats. We came over there last year and played East Lecher and the year before we played Whitesburg. We came out on top both games, but it wasn't a walk in the park. I recognized at least one of the Whitesburg boys on the sidelines Friday. How many school fed into the East Letcher team? They had their coronation last year when we came and I think every kid in the general Fleming Neon area walked in it. LOL Needless to say, we were late getting home that night.
Mama Bear,
I didn't get to make that trip to Neon last year when you played East Letcher but their coach told me that you all started off slow but got it going quickly and ran 40 some odd points off in a row after that. East Letcher was made up of 2 schools and you passed it on your way to Neon that night. Not sure how many of those Whitesburg boys are playing on the high school team but I know several of them are on it. Don't you just hate playing on someone else's celebration night, it makes for such a long evening doesn't it? I know everybody has to have a homecoming or 8th grade night but don't you wish they'd save it for basketball season?
I didn't get to make that trip to Neon last year when you played East Letcher but their coach told me that you all started off slow but got it going quickly and ran 40 some odd points off in a row after that. East Letcher was made up of 2 schools and you passed it on your way to Neon that night. Not sure how many of those Whitesburg boys are playing on the high school team but I know several of them are on it. Don't you just hate playing on someone else's celebration night, it makes for such a long evening doesn't it? I know everybody has to have a homecoming or 8th grade night but don't you wish they'd save it for basketball season?
Smile I don't have girls, so coronations aren't my favorite thing. I look at it as good gate money and big concession stands night! More money for the boys.Big Grin

Those boys were wore out last year before that game ever started. They actually played sluggish all night. They had good fan support as I remember. I hadn't been over to Neon since I was in high school.
Mama Bear,
What time are the games starting over there Thursday night? I've never been to the field they are playing on, how far out of Harlan is it? How do you get there? Is this where the Bears are playing their games and when are they going to build them a field? I assume it will be a few years because the our high school used the old Whitesburg field for a couple of years before they built the new facilities. If you have any influence make sure they build permanent concession stands and restrooms at your field, not sure why ours did what they did?????
What time are the games starting over there Thursday night? I've never been to the field they are playing on, how far out of Harlan is it? How do you get there? Is this where the Bears are playing their games and when are they going to build them a field? I assume it will be a few years because the our high school used the old Whitesburg field for a couple of years before they built the new facilities. If you have any influence make sure they build permanent concession stands and restrooms at your field, not sure why ours did what they did?????

The 5/6 grade game will start at 6:00 PM. The 7th and 8th game afterwards, probably around 7:30. You do realize you are asking a WOMAN for directions?! Wink So here goes: Come across Whitesburg mountain, come on by Cumberland, stay on this road, wave at the new school when you go by in Rosspoint, keep on going all the way thru Harlan, keep going, keep going, you'll see Wal-MArt on right, Turn right at the second red light after you pass Wal-MArt. You'll see hospital at this redlight. Come on over and park in the parking lot near the baseball field, walk thru gates and come buy a hot dog for Supper!!

Yes, this is where the Black Bears will be playing this year. Lord willing, we will have enough money to start building the field/ stadium for next year. But ya never know...

They'll have to build bathrooms over at our field. I thought that was kinda insane myself. Wonder why they didn't build bathrooms or concession stands at LCC? If you leave early enough, go ahead and pull over at the new school and glance across the river at where our football stadium will be. The big space before you get to the actual school will be where the baseball and softball facilities will be.

It took us about 45 minutes to get over to LCC. But we are used to driving on those kiss your own tail curvey roads. :eek: Allow yourself about an hour.
Mama Bear,
Yeah I thought twice about asking a lady for directions but I bit my pride and ask anyway. You seem right on top of things in Harlan County so I thought I'd just ask the source of knowledge from over that way. Sounds like your new high school will have great facilities soon and I'm glad. It feels pretty good to let the people down state know that just because were in the mountains doesn't mean that we can't give our kids the same type of facilities that they get in Central KY. Thanks for the directions and hopefully I will be able to make the game Thursday evening and I'll probably take you up on the hotdog when I get there.

On another note I'm surprised that New Harlan hasn't gotten in the Big Sandy Conference. The conference has several good teams that are good year in and year out and could use another team with winning tradition. Some of the teams in it are Johnson Central, Perry Central, Martin Co., Hazard, Sebastian, Paintsville, Pikeville, Belfry, Letcher Central along with a couple more. I know it has made Letcher County step up their football program.
That sounds like a good conference to be in. It looks like some of the feeder programs that our high school would be playing. Perhaps our middle school coach will check into it. Sounds like a LOT of traveling though. We've got a pretty good schedule this year. It's nice to have some home games.

Our Black Bear Freshmen team will be playing Leslie Co. tonight.

I'm with you on us mountain folk FINALLY having something we can call our own and be proud of. It was just so nice over there at Letcher Central. The young men and women over that way must be so porud!
That sounds like a good conference to be in. It looks like some of the feeder programs that our high school would be playing. Perhaps our middle school coach will check into it. Sounds like a LOT of traveling though. We've got a pretty good schedule this year. It's nice to have some home games.

Our Black Bear Freshmen team will be playing Leslie Co. tonight.

I'm with you on us mountain folk FINALLY having something we can call our own and be proud of. It was just so nice over there at Letcher Central. The young men and women over that way must be so proud!
I'm not sure how many Coach Howard has on the Fresh. team but I know they have plenty of size, speed, strength. I think that the Cougars and Bears play next week in a Fresh. game. That will be fun because I watched the Patriots play the East Letcher team last year and they were phenominal. Do you know where this game will be played at? I was talking to a Cumberland parent the other day and they said that the New Harlan team was outstanding and he said that he would be surprised if Letcher County could play with them. After hearing what I have heard today I'm not sure if I'll make the trip Thursday night or not.
Let's not get carried away. They are a good solid team, but let's not build too high expectations. lol Come on over and get that good hot dog and enjoy a good game! Looks like the Freshmen play on the 11th over here in Harlan County. This will be a good game also.

Quote: Mama Bear,
I didn't get to make that trip to Neon last year when you played East Letcher but their coach told me that you all started off slow but got it going quickly and ran 40 some odd points off in a row after that.

:confused:

So did you or did you not watch the Patriots play last year at East Letcher?? Who's the "Rhino" that the crowd kept hollering his name? They called him "Rhino".
Didn't watch the East Letcher Game that night. I did watch you all the year before when you played Whitesburg, was talking to the coach yesterday and I remember you all playing them and it was decent game early. Rhino is good, he played the other night in the varsity game. I think he played right or left guard, good player with junior size/speed. I may come over, the wife will be busy that evening anyway so I'm going to talk to a few people today and see if they want to carpool.