Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County 2008
Who will take home the trophy this year? Belfry for a three-peat?

My vote goes to Pikeville vs. Belfry as usual: but im going to hold my vote until the season starts. Since both pikeville and belfry had a LOAD of 8th graders this past season
Belfry and Pikeville will be tough. East Ridge will surprise some people.
I have heard that Pikeville is not participating in the Pike County League this year.... anyone else heard this?
PHS95 Wrote:I have heard that Pikeville is not participating in the Pike County League this year.... anyone else heard this?

You heard correct.

As of right now no Pike County team is allowed to play Pikeville in ANY sport including basketball, football, volleyball, etc.
NEXT Wrote:You heard correct.

As of right now no Pike County team is allowed to play Pikeville in ANY sport including basketball, football, volleyball, etc.
Why?
Panther Thunder Wrote:Why?

From what I was told, they backed out/didn't agree with the schedule of the football league after agreeing to.

I know the principles were sent the e-mail today but I do not think anything is set in stone.

BMS boys basketball team is in the Mountain Middle Conference and I was told Pikeville was joining this year. We will have to play them then, so I do not know how this is going to work out.
NEXT Wrote:From what I was told, they backed out/didn't agree with the schedule of the football league after agreeing to.

I know the principles were sent the e-mail today but I do not think anything is set in stone.

BMS boys basketball team is in the Mountain Middle Conference and I was told Pikeville was joining this year. We will have to play them then, so I do not know how this is going to work out.
Sounds juvenile on both parties behalf.
i have seen the PC middle schedule and Pikeville is on it.
PHS95 Wrote:I have heard that Pikeville is not participating in the Pike County League this year.... anyone else heard this?
heard yesterday that this is true Pikeville said there was no competion here except for SV and Belfry.
I too, heard this earlier in the week. Could be that Pikeville voted for the WRONG assigning secretary in basketball--just a guess.
Pikeville made the decision to pull out, is my understanding!
I hear that Pikeville High School's head football coach (Copely) is the reason that Pikeville backed out of its committment.

I wonder why the AD (Garrison) did not step in to fix the situation?

Shame on Pikeville.
Pikeville did not pull out. Pike County schools were told via e-mail not to play them in any sport.
new o Wrote:Pikeville did not pull out. Pike County schools were told via e-mail not to play them in any sport.
Pikeville did pull out and that is why pc schools will not play them
Chuck Taylor Wrote:I hear that Pikeville High School's head football coach (Copely) is the reason that Pikeville backed out of its committment.

I wonder why the AD (Garrison) did not step in to fix the situation?

Shame on Pikeville.
and i agree shame on pikeviile because they know why they are better hold backs.
Pikeville was kicked out out by the Pike County BOE. Pikeville has also tried to smooth things over with the BOE trying to get back in. I know this from first hand information. Pikeville refused to go by the football schedule set by all of the schools including Pikeville back in March. They wanted to play in the county but pick and choose who they played which resulted in no county schools being allowed to schedule them. I think NEXT can verify this also.
new o Wrote:Pikeville was kicked out out by the Pike County BOE. Pikeville has also tried to smooth things over with the BOE trying to get back in. I know this from first hand information. Pikeville refused to go by the football schedule set by all of the schools including Pikeville back in March. They wanted to play in the county but pick and choose who they played which resulted in no county schools being allowed to schedule them. I think NEXT can verify this also.

Thats the story I was told.
new o Wrote:Pikeville was kicked out out by the Pike County BOE. Pikeville has also tried to smooth things over with the BOE trying to get back in. I know this from first hand information. Pikeville refused to go by the football schedule set by all of the schools including Pikeville back in March. They wanted to play in the county but pick and choose who they played which resulted in no county schools being allowed to schedule them. I think NEXT can verify this also.

Why would Pikeville do this ?:mad:

Someone needs to be talking to the coach and AD...and finding a way to fix this...
I don't think that it is right for the county to take this out on the basketball, boy's and girl's, and the volleyball teams . Just because of football mess , the county will be hurting plenty of kids that has nothing to do with this mess. Shame on pikeville, and EVEN more shame for the county for what you are going to do to all the other kids who play basketball and volleyball.
I think it was the way that Pikeville handled the situation more than anything. It was a demand on their part instead of negotiation.
new o Wrote:I think it was the way that Pikeville handled the situation more than anything. It was a demand on their part instead of negotiation.

Which is pretty much what I heard..... they wanted to have their cake and eat it too!

Will this just affect middle school and not the high school level?
new o Wrote:I think it was the way that Pikeville handled the situation more than anything. It was a demand on their part instead of negotiation.

Why take it out on all the other sports?.
I do not know ballcrazy. It may blow over before those seasons begin.
Well with Pikeville not playing in the county this year. I believe it will be Belfry vs East Ridge/Shelby Valley for the Championship.
Another BONEHEAD move from the Pike Co. Hierarchy!! They are basically just punishing themselves by not playing Pikeville in middle school sports. There is no doubt that the best gate for any football or basketball game, not to mention volleyball & baseball games, is when the county schools play Pikeville. Pikeville has a bunch of players and a gazillion cheerleaders which means $$$$$$$$$ for the county schools....especially at tournament time. This really takes huge gates away from Johns Creek, Mullins, Virgie, Dorton, Belfry, etc.!! Pikeville will now join another league which will take a lot of interest away from the Pike Co. leagues.

I bet the people running for new Pike Co. board member spots will have a field day with this one. Pike Co. is a joke right now!!!
I am sorry but you cannot put all of the blame on the BOE, look no further than within the city limits. You cannot try to bully and get what you want. If Pikeville had played within the rules this topic would have never came up. Money will not be an issue because Pikeville can be replaced by teams like Hazard, Letcher County teams, and surrounding counties and the draw will be the same. Think about this, county schools will have to replace one school on their schedule......Pikeville will have to replace a minimum of 5.
The problem was, Pikeville had no desire to play a home and home schedule with the county teams. They pulled out of some games and the board basically said, you cannot pick and choose..... play all or none.... I don't blame them!
new o Wrote:I am sorry but you cannot put all of the blame on the BOE, look no further than within the city limits. You cannot try to bully and get what you want. If Pikeville had played within the rules this topic would have never came up. Money will not be an issue because Pikeville can be replaced by teams like Hazard, Letcher County teams, and surrounding counties and the draw will be the same. Think about this, county schools will have to replace one school on their schedule......Pikeville will have to replace a minimum of 5.
So your saying Hazard would bring more fans to Johns Creek than Pikeville.
:thatsfunnLOL

For one, Hazard won't waste their time coming to play the Pike Co. schools especially in football. The Pike Co. School System is a joke right now. Enough said!