Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best for Music?
What is the best FREE program for downloading music? I've tried a lot of different things but am never satisfied with them. All the songs are crappy versions or a incomplete. I just got a new computer and I can't figure out what to put on it for my music.
I use Mp3 Rocket. It's pretty good. Im very satisfied.

You can get it at http://www.download.com
There are not many programs out there that allow you to download music LEGALLY for free. If you are a college student then you might want to try Ruckus.com Other then that, I don't know of any legal ways to download.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:There are not many programs out there that allow you to download music LEGALLY for free. If you are a college student then you might want to try Ruckus.com Other then that, I don't know of any legal ways to download.

Wasn't that one that QQ posted at www.skreemr.com ?
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:What is the best FREE program for downloading music? I've tried a lot of different things but am never satisfied with them. All the songs are crappy versions or a incomplete. I just got a new computer and I can't figure out what to put on it for my music.

It is ILLEGAL to download music for free.

Get iTunes and pay for it like you're supposed to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:It is ILLEGAL to download music for free.

Get iTunes and pay for it like you're supposed to.

Are you sure she meant free music or a free program that will let you search for music?

Isn't Itunes a free program?
Midee1 Wrote:Are you sure she meant free music or a free program that will let you search for music?

Isn't Itunes a free program?

Most all are free to download and use, the question is the legality.

But whatever, I'll never be able to stop people from stealing music.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I meant the program. I have Itunes on my mom's computer, but I don't live there anymore and I don't wanna move all 600+ songs to this one. I just didn't want to have to pay a stupid amount for a program and then turn around and pay for each song
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:I meant the program. I have Itunes on my mom's computer, but I don't live there anymore and I don't wanna move all 600+ songs to this one. I just didn't want to have to pay a stupid amount for a program and then turn around and pay for each song

I recommend, www.skreemr.com.

I've used it for awhile now and I've found all the songs that I wanted. Just right click the song, and click on save target as, save it, and it will start downloading.
blackcat_student Wrote:I recommend, www.skreemr.com.

I've used it for awhile now and I've found all the songs that I wanted. Just right click the song, and click on save target as, save it, and it will start downloading.

*cough* *cough*

Skreemr.com is only legal if you are just using it to listen to the songs. Not for legal downloading.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:I meant the program. I have Itunes on my mom's computer, but I don't live there anymore and I don't wanna move all 600+ songs to this one. I just didn't want to have to pay a stupid amount for a program and then turn around and pay for each song

Usually it's one way or the other. The easiest thing to do is find a program that lets you pay an upfront or monthly fee and then let you download all you want.

Other than that, you're going to have to pay for each song or each album.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:*cough* *cough*

Skreemr.com is only legal if you are just using it to listen to the songs. Not for legal downloading.

Catch me if you can... Big Grin
blackcat_student Wrote:Catch me if you can... Big Grin

Yeah, I hope you don't get caught. The fines are pretty hefty if you get caught.

When I was at UK we had a few students that got fined $2000+ for 2 or 3 songs they downloaded.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:*cough* *cough*

Yes, you are correct . However, when you stream music the data packets are still downloaded to your computer in a temp file. If someone was viewing a log file on IP's of people that listen to the song, those log files appear no different than someone that saved it permanently. The content was still moved from point A to point B. For example, you stream a video on the internet. After its complete you can move to any part of the video without buffering. The reason for this is because the video physically exist on your computer after the stream. Same with the music.

Point is, it may not be legal to retain the files. But it is safer than using p2p. There is really no way to be traced using a streaming service like that. Similar to recording off the radio or tv. Someone is already paying the artists and/or studios streaming.royalty fees. So in reality, the artist and RIAA still benefit from people using these services. IMO, thats why there is no fuss about these services. Money is being made! As with p2p, there is no money for them.

Thing with skreemr is it is not a p2p. It just a search engine to find streaming music. The RIAA will have to fight these services by trying to take them down. They can not go after the people here. They will not succeed, their business model is failing. They should have developed a digital music delivery system similar to IPOD along time ago. I know they are tying to now. But places like itunes and rhapsody have the majority of the market.

Now, I am not advocating downloading music illegally here. I allocate 15 dollars a month to my itunes. That gets me 15 new songs a month. Can't beat that! Thats about 180 new songs a year for less than 200 dollars. Nice bargain! Plus I am finding a lot good music from indie bands that distribute their content for free. Skreem is great for finding indie music as well.
In the near future, music is probably going to be free anyway. Microsoft has already patented a ad-supported music delivery technology. That will allow people to download and distribute music freely. The music will serve up advertisements before the song begins. Similar to what radio stations and many video services on the internet. They play a short marketing clip before you watch or listen. It will be no different than television commercials. The artist will make money from advertisers and consumers will be happy because they can listen to all the music they want without a cost. I think its a win/ win situation.
That sounds neat!!

I don't want to download illegally. I still buy CD's to support the artist also. But if I jsut want one song off the internet, I don't want to pay $49.95 for a program and the $2.50 each song. That's what I was saying earlier.

Thanks TorQQue and blackcat_student and everyone else!!
I've had Limewire, Kazaa, Aries, and Bearshare. But not satisfied with any. My old computer crashed with Limewire (not sure what caused it but nothing was wrong until i got it) And Bearshare makes my fiances go way too slow.
http://www.projectplaylist.com
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:I've had Limewire, Kazaa, Aries, and Bearshare. But not satisfied with any. My old computer crashed with Limewire (not sure what caused it but nothing was wrong until i got it) And Bearshare makes my fiances go way too slow.

Those are all littered with so much spam and ad-ware, that's why you have trouble with them.

You can try downloading ad-aware or crapcleaner and see if that helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Those are all littered with so much spam and ad-ware, that's why you have trouble with them.

You can try downloading ad-aware or crapcleaner and see if that helps.

CE is right,

They are full of spam, viruses, and honeypots. Don't use these under any circumstances. The RIAA uses honeypots (fake user apps that hosts songs) that they use to capture your IP.
yikes.....thanks for telling me that!! I wouldn't have known...Sad
I like bulbster.
i use limewire
mullinstiger55 Wrote:i use limewire

Which is illegal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Which is illegal.

I'd put money on it that you've used it before too, obviously, don't answer that question because of legality issues, but I'd say just about everyone has downloaded illegally.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I'd put money on it that you've used it before too, obviously, don't answer that question because of legality issues, but I'd say just about everyone has downloaded illegally.

Not saying they have or haven't, but people at least need to know that it IS illegal.

I know that there was a rumor circulating in the past that Limewire was LEGAL.

The fact is, yes, it was legal to have the program on your computer, but it was not legal to actually use.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mullinstiger55 Wrote:i use limewire

I also wish you would read QQ's post above that explains honeypots.

The RIAA (aka people that will sue you) make fake usernames and servers to catch you downloading from them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Has anyone tried Ruckus? its supposed to be legal for college students but I don't think you can burn them on cds, but you might be able to sync them to an ipod
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:Has anyone tried Ruckus? its supposed to be legal for college students but I don't think you can burn them on cds, but you might be able to sync them to an ipod

I thought Ruckus only allowed streams, meaning you wouldn't be able to download the songs to any kind of device...legally, that is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not sure. I haven't tried it yet. My friend has it and I'm pretty sure she said she put the songs on her ipod. I'll ask again though.