Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitch clock in MLB
Major League Baseball hasn’t got too much right in the 2000’s. But after watching it for a month, I feel like the pitch clock is the best rule change I’ve ever seen a sport implement. You can actually watch a full game now in 2 1/2 hours without all that maddening wasted time that pitchers and hitters both used to engage in. I always loved watching Greg Maddux on the mound, because he would make a pitch, get the ball back, get his sign and make another pitch. Now, almost everyone is being required to do that and the game just sails along. If anything can save baseball, this just might be it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
I'm very Old School when it comes to baseball. I've lost a lot of interest in MLB. Never thought that would happen. I still follow the Reds but I haven't watched a game not involving Cincinnati in years. Don't watch playoffs, World Series, none of it. I'm pretty much with Pete Rose. All the new rules suck. Baseball was never meant to be timed. I once spent over 10 hours at the ball park. It was a doubleheader at Riverfront in the 80's. First game went 18 innings. About 5+ hours. Second game another 3 hours. One of the best days of my life.
Clocks, ghost runners(which only be for playing whiffle ball), relievers must pitch to three batters, etc are all designed to speed up the game that used to be America's past time but is becoming just a passing thought for us baseball purists. Our society has such a short attention span and it wants everything done in a hurry, including baseball games. Baseball has lost me. Is it just a temporary separation or a full divorce? Only time will tell, I guess.
I think that the pitch clock is probably a good rule change for fans but I would not have liked it as a player. I liked pitching as quickly as I could when I played, especially on hot, humid days because that was Bob Gibson's style. I always thought pitching quickly gave me an advantage over hitters. 

The only exception was when I was behind in the count. I liked to shake off the catcher's signs several times to make hitters think that I might throw something other than a fastball. Otherwise, I always tried to be ready to start my wind-up ASAP. Making every pitcher work fast would remove the advantage that I thought it gave me.
(06-09-2023, 12:10 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I think that the pitch clock is probably a good rule change for fans but I would not have liked it as a player. I liked pitching as quickly as I could when I played, especially on hot, humid days because that was Bob Gibson's style. I always thought pitching quickly gave me an advantage over hitters. 

The only exception was when I was behind in the count. I liked to shake off the catcher's signs several times to make hitters think that I might throw something other than a fastball. Otherwise, I always tried to be ready to start my wind-up ASAP. Making every pitcher work fast would remove the advantage that I thought it gave me.

Yeah, Hoot, I'd say probably most fans like it. I don't care for it and, like you, I wouldn't have liked it when I played. I was also a pitcher. I really just don't like changes to the game. I think the game was just fine in the '70's .  I guess you might say I am very conservative when it comes to baseball. lol
As someone who never pitched, but played a lot, I can promise you that all defensive players loved, loved, loved playing behind a pitcher that worked fast, it just kept you so much more into the game. OSH, you need to give the present day Reds a look, they have some electric young talent like Elly De La Cruz, Jonathan India, Hunter Greene, McClain, etc. Very fun to watch. Of course in 2-3 years all these guys will probably be playing with the Yankees or Dodgers.
(06-09-2023, 09:13 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: As someone who never pitched, but played a lot, I can promise you that all defensive players loved, loved, loved playing behind a pitcher that worked fast, it just kept you so much more into the game. OSH, you need to give the present day Reds a look, they have some electric  young talent like Elly De La Cruz, Jonathan India, Hunter Greene, McClain, etc.  Very fun to watch. Of course in 2-3 years all these guys will probably be playing with the Yankees or Dodgers.

Oh, I still follow the Reds. Just not baseball, in general. I love the Reds young talent. They are super exciting. Couldn't tell you who leads the AL West, though. lol
Im ok with the pitch clock, but come playoff time, its going to cost a team a game, no doubt.