Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the 14th Region
Now that we have a few weeks of season under our belt, how do you rank the 14th region?
Ranking teams, especially baseball, after the first few games of the season is 100% silly but I’m bored so here I am.

Letcher, Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Powell & Wolfe…If I told you only one team out of these has a winning record right now, most people would not believe it but it is true. Since Letcher is that team with the winning record, I’ll say they are #1. But in reality, anyone who knows baseball knows that ranking high school baseball teams after a week and a half is silly, lol. Let’s see how these teams fair a little further into the season after everyone’s arms warm up and their bats get broke in. These teams still have 30+ games to play.
Hazard is #1 with Patrick on the Hill.
Letcher #2 with Williams and Little pitching.
Estill #3 with Forehand pitching.
Perry #4 with Daniel and Mcalarnis.
Breathitt #5 with Combs and Bellamy

From things I hear, Leslie can win with Hensley on the hill if they can salvage a run or two. Powell is the dark horse. People say Perry can’t hit. Hazard is the King until dethroned. Lot of baseball to be played. Not been out to a game this season. Any good ones worth mentioning this week near Jackson?
(03-26-2023, 04:19 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Ranking teams, especially baseball, after the first few games of the season is 100% silly but I’m bored so here I am.

Letcher, Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Powell & Wolfe…If I told you only one team out of these has a winning record right now, most people would not believe it but it is true.  Since Letcher is that team with the winning record, I’ll say they are #1.  But in reality, anyone who knows baseball knows that ranking high school baseball teams after a week and a half is silly, lol.  Let’s see how these teams fair a little further into the season after everyone’s arms warm up and their bats get broke in.  These teams still have 30+ games to play.

I don't see it silly at all...
Don’t count out Estill just cause they are 1-3. Two of those 3 losses were against two of the top 15 teams in the state in Dunbar and Catholic.
Nobody should count out anybody 4 games into the season lol ??‍♂️
Good coaches don’t really care about winning early in the year. They care more about getting hitters at bats against quality pitching and building pitchers arm strength and stamina up for later on. If a coach is throwing kids 100+ pitches right now they are playing with fire long term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reds#1Fan's post:
  • BlackAndYellow
(03-26-2023, 10:11 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Good coaches don’t really care about winning early in the year. They care more about getting hitters at bats against quality pitching and building pitchers arm strength and stamina up for later on. If a coach is throwing kids 100+ pitches right now they are playing with fire long term.

unfortunately I’ve seen a lot of teams get beat in the postseason because of “dead arms.” 
Knott Co is an extremely young team, that has only 1 senior playing. I look for them to improve and be tough come post season.
(03-28-2023, 08:19 AM)griffman Wrote: Knott Co is an extremely young team, that has only 1 senior playing. I look for them to improve and be tough come post season.
It sounds like everyone in the 14th region is really young
Judging based solely on the scores I’ve seen and not the eye test I would go:

1- Estill
2- Letcher
3- Hazard
4- PCC
5- Breathitt
6- Powell
7- Wolfe
8- KCC

It’s very early though. A lot can, and will change.
1. LCC
2. Estill
3. Breathitt
4. Hazard
5. PCC
6. Wolfe
7. Powell
8. KCC

Some teams are still trying to figure out their top 9. Hitting needs to improve big time for a few teams.
1. Hazard
2. Breathitt
3. Letcher
4. Estill
5. Wolfe
6. Perry
7. Powell
8. Knott
No clear cut #1. But here is my best shot at this.

1. Letcher
2. Breathitt
3. Estill
4. Hazard
5. Perry
That’s probably accurate
Got to stop by Winchester and watch Perry play Campbell County a little. Was actually going to watch Breathitt softball play. Anyway, looks like Perry baseball has backslid since Dixons departure from coaching. Didn’t see any hitting and a lot of errors from Perry. Kids were very small and young looking. Not the typical looking Perry bunch I’m used to seeing. If they are a top team then the 14th is in trouble. But the season is young and it was like a hurricane out today. That may been a factor in their performance.
(04-01-2023, 06:35 PM)Diablo Wrote: Got to stop by Winchester and watch Perry play Campbell County a little.  Was actually going to watch Breathitt softball play. Anyway, looks like Perry baseball has backslid since Dixons departure from coaching.  Didn’t see any hitting and a lot of errors from Perry.  Kids were very small and young looking.  Not the typical looking Perry bunch I’m used to seeing.  If they are a top team then the 14th is in trouble.  But the season is young and it was like a hurricane out today.  That may been a factor in their performance.

I think everyone is young right now for the most part. I know Hazard has 5 or 6 seniors but other than that I think the majority is extremely young.
After most teams have finished their Spring Break trips and we get through the All A, I think we will have a clear vision of what teams are at the top.