Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Justified’. Let’s talk tv for once
I know several of us on here love to take a deep dive into rock, pop and country music.  But I recently rewatched the entirety of ‘Justified’, and I was reminded once again why I always felt it was just the greatest series ever on television.  Sublime acting and writing, Elmore Leonard’s style would have been easy to screw up, but they nailed it. Add in usually well-paced episodes (forget season 5, the one misstep), some of the greatest one-liners in tv history, and one of the best series finales ever and you’ve struck gold. 

I know, I know Harlan, Ky isn’t the size depicted on the show (shot in California except for the opening credits in Harlan), and you certainly couldn’t get to Lexington from there in 30 minutes. But as with any fictional entertainment you have to ‘suspend your disbelief’ sometimes.

As for the actors, Timothy Olyphant was perfection as Raylan Gibbs, as was the GREAT Walton Goggins as Boyd Crowder. He was also a star alongside Michael Chiklis in probably my second favorite series, The Shield,

And the other characters—Mags Bennett. Dickie Bennett. Dewey Crowe. Sam Elliott as a drug kingpin. Wow, so good. If you have never seen it, and this might lead you to try it, just be forewarned it’s violent and it’s profane. Here’s a couple of the best one-liners to sorta whet your appetite. 
A crook, after Raylan just shot him in the back as he was running off. ‘I can’t believe you shot me in the back!’  Raylan—“If you wanted to be shot in the front you should have ran towards me.”

Or this all-time classic after Raylan managed to shoot Boyd while they were in the pitch black woods at night. Boyd-“Raylan, how In the hell did you manage to know where to shoot right then?’ Raylan-“It’s your teeth Boyd, they glow in the dark!”

Watch an episode and that line will be self-explanatory. Any other huge Justified fans out there? And what are some of your all’s favorite television offerings over the years?
I've never watched a single episode of Justified.
Well now, Granny Bear, you ought to at least give it a looksee someday. The setting of Harlan Co. is mainly just a plot point, but when they do talk about areas in Harlan Co. they use correct terms. Everts, Loyall, Ivy Hill in town where the Harlan elite live.?
It's been a long time since I watched Justified but I enjoyed the series. Sure, it perpetrated the hillbilly stereotype to a certain extent but the casting and performances were excellent, IMO.
I haven't seen it, might check it out. Two I really liked were Mad Men and Better Call Saul.
It has a great theme song.