Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Trump Support the Eventual Republican Nominee?
I feel like it's almost a rhetorical question.  And Trump hinted in his recent interview with Hugh Hewitt that Republicans might not be able to count on his support of a non-Trump nominee.  In response to Hewitt's question, Trump indicted that his position is the same as it was back in 2016, when he was asked the question during a primary debate. Trump, you'll recall, refused to pledge his support to the nominee if it was someone other than him.  He said it would depend on whether he deemed the process "fair."   Of course, we all know that if Donald loses out to say, Ron Desantis or Nikki Haley, he will claim the process was rigged and likely take his campaign in the direction of a third-party run just so he an fracture the GOP vote and cost them  a victory.

I'm rooting very hard for a successful nomination campaign for Mr Trump but I honestly don't see him winning if the field is narrowed to just him and Desantis.  However, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him sabotage Desantis if the Florida governor wins the nomination. Mr Trump never goes down easy, even if he has to lie about the process being rigged.  However, in this case, Republicans may very well rig the process against Trump, much the way the Dems rigged the nomination process in favor of Hillary and against Bernie Sanders. Either way, if Trump loses, look for him to cse Republicaans to pay the price.

What do you think?  Do you think the twice-impeached , disgraced ex-President will play nice and support whoever wins the nomination  or will he run interference to help the Democrats ?

I would like to hear from some of you about what you think Trump will do if he fails to secure the GOP nomination? Will he go quietly into the night and support the nominee or will he rail against the Machine and begin a MAGA Party run?
If Trump fails to win the Republican nomination, it would be moronic for him to run on a third party ticket, IMO, and I don't think that Trump is a stupid man. He cares deeply about his "brand," and I don't think that he would tarnish that brand - and I do not mean that as an insult to former President Trump. He has three sons and two daughters, who will be living with the Trump legacy, and he will try to salvage his legacy for their sakes.

Why would Trump run a campaign doomed for failure? If he cannot win a plurality of Republican delegates in the primary, then it would be practically impossible for him to win the general election. I believe that he thinks that he can win the nomination but I don't think that he would believe he could win the presidency without the Republican nomination. For somebody who voted for the absolute dumbest major presidential candidate in U.S. history, you seriously underestimate Trump's intelligence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-05-2023, 09:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I feel like it's almost a rhetorical question.  And Trump hinted in his recent interview with Hugh Hewitt that Republicans might not be able to count on his support of a non-Trump nominee.  In response to Hewitt's question, Trump indicted that his position is the same as it was back in 2016, when he was asked the question during a primary debate. Trump, you'll recall, refused to pledge his support to the nominee if it was someone other than him.  He said it would depend on whether he deemed the process "fair."   Of course, we all know that if Donald loses out to say, Ron Desantis or Nikki Haley, he will claim the process was rigged and likely take his campaign in the direction of a third-party run just so he an fracture the GOP vote and cost them  a victory.

I'm rooting very hard for a successful nomination campaign for Mr Trump but I honestly don't see him winning if the field is narrowed to just him and Desantis.  However, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him sabotage Desantis if the Florida governor wins the nomination. Mr Trump never goes down easy, even if he has to lie about the process being rigged.  However, in this case, Republicans may very well rig the process against Trump, much the way the Dems rigged the nomination process in favor of Hillary and against Bernie Sanders. Either way, if Trump loses, look for him to cse Republicaans to pay the price.

What do you think?  Do you think the twice-impeached , disgraced ex-President will play nice and support whoever wins the nomination  or will he run interference to help the Democrats ?

No, he will do everything possible to destroy the GOP if he's not the candidate.  He's the ultimate RINO.
Liberals never seem to tire of being wrong. After more than 8 years of Democrats fabricating evidence against him, impeaching him twice with no evidence of any impeachable offenses, and continuing their dishonest attempts to deny him the right to run for a second term, do you guys really think that he would run a futile third-party campaign that would almost certainly land a Democrat in the White House? We know that your hatred of Trump runs very deep, but why would Trump want a Democrat in the White House if his campaign fails? 

Who would be more likely to appoint an Attorney General who would bring back some professionalism and equal protection under the law to the DoJ and FBI? Who would be more likely to grant a pardon or commute a sentence, in the unlikely event that Trump is convicted of a federal crime? Most liberals just don't seem to be capable of rational thought.

My prediction is that if Trump falls behind DeSantis or another Republican candidate, he will withdraw from the race, endorse the frontrunner, and actively work to get the Republican candidate elected (or at least make the offer) - because such an action would be a no-brainer. 

I think that it would be in Trump's best interest for DeSantis to be elected. I think that DeSantis is more likely to appoint an Attorney General who would actually do what is needed at the Department of Justice and taking out the trash is what is needed. That is a job that Trump has already failed to do once and any reforms of the DoJ that he pushes will be seen as self-serving by people who still trust the media.

I may be wrong about Trump acting in his self-interest, and if I am, then unlike the liberals who have filled up page after page of bad predictions, I will not hesitate to admit that I was wrong.
  • LOOKAYANNER
(02-22-2023, 12:02 AM)The Outsider Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 09:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I feel like it's almost a rhetorical question.  And Trump hinted in his recent interview with Hugh Hewitt that Republicans might not be able to count on his support of a non-Trump nominee.  In response to Hewitt's question, Trump indicted that his position is the same as it was back in 2016, when he was asked the question during a primary debate. Trump, you'll recall, refused to pledge his support to the nominee if it was someone other than him.  He said it would depend on whether he deemed the process "fair."   Of course, we all know that if Donald loses out to say, Ron Desantis or Nikki Haley, he will claim the process was rigged and likely take his campaign in the direction of a third-party run just so he an fracture the GOP vote and cost them  a victory.

No, he will do everything possible to destroy the GOP if he's not the candidate.  He's the ultimate RINO.

Trump will have no loyalty to  the GOP unless there is something in it for him.  He cares less about party. He cares about Trump.
(02-22-2023, 12:02 AM)The Outsider Wrote:

So let's have a look at your two's continual rationale. Obviously the ultimate outcome hoped for is to bolster support for Democrats, more specifically in this case and for the last couple of years, that Biden will somehow be elevated in the minds of those who read your threads.

When one doesn't have the facts on his side but still wants to win the argument, he attacks the character of his opponent. Obama did that with Romney, and he did it again for Clinton in 2016 and for Biden again in 2020; both times attacking Trump's character. And of course, the media and the Dem Congressional Conference did it every day for over four full years. And they continue to do it as we speak. But regardless of how many times the left comes on here to say Trump's presidency was a failure from a performance or policy perspective, they're wrong, totally.

It will take more than the fake narrative du-jour about his historically confirmed record, to confuse those who were watching. Much less make any converts to that end. And more precisely FTR, when your big-gun rebuff is always and only--- eww, that was a Trump thing, as if that's all it takes to control reality in the minds of Americans who think for themselves, you're still wrong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Some on here still believe the election was stolen, even though Hannity, etc. testified under oath that they did not believe it for a second and they just pushed it to play to their audience.
^^^Fake Republican back on here spreading nothing but lib fake talking points...
If the election was indeed stolen there is not one thing I can do about it. All I can do is go to the polling place and show my ID. There I exercise my right to cast my one ballot, (a right that I get to use only once per election cycle btw), and you can bet the ranch that vote was for Trump. He was right about everything and his policies were among the most effective of the last 100 years of federal government. End of story.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(02-22-2023, 11:14 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Fake Republican back on here spreading nothing but lib fake talking points...

They testified under oath that they knew that the election was not stolen, so I'm not sure what your point is.....

(02-23-2023, 12:02 AM)TheRealThing Wrote: If the election was indeed stolen there is not one thing I can do about it. All I can do is go to the polling place and show my ID. There I exercise my right to cast my one ballot, (a right that I get to use only once per election cycle btw), and you can bet the ranch that vote was for Trump. He was right about everything and his policies were among the most effective of the last 100 years of federal government. End of story.

Trump was an effective President for a small minority, but he also has torn the Country apart and I'm not sure when or if it will be fixed as Im not seeing a leader on either side that is stepping up.  

Like Tucker Carlson stated, Trump is good at destroying things.
^^Fake Republican spouting more fake talking points.

Back on topic, it is completely illogical to predict that Trump will be so angry at Republicans if he loses the nomination that he will help the Democrats who have worked to not only deny him a second term but have broken laws and abused executive and legislative power in an effort to indict Trump and his family members for alleged criminal acts. The two left-wing fringe Trump haters have made no effort to explain why Trump would help the Democrats who want him tossed behind bars win an election while punishing fellow Republicans with the potential power to grant pardons for his alleged federal crimes. 

Do you two realize how irrational your position sounds to an objective observer? You can dislike Donald Trump and believe that he was a terrible president and still make a logical prediction of how Trump would behave if he does not win the GOP nomination in 2024. Give logic a try. What have you got to lose? Blind hatred has put you on the wrong side of nearly every prediction that you have made in this forum.
The past few days, Donald has been attacking Desantis in tweets, calling him names like DeSanctus. I hope Jet is right and Trump pulls out the win for the nomination. If he doesn't, I cn't see him playing nice with DeSanctus.
(02-25-2023, 02:14 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The past few days, Donald has been attacking  Desantis in tweets, calling him names like DeSanctus.  I hope Jet is right and Trump pulls out the win for the nomination. If he doesn't, I cn't see him playing nice with DeSanctus.

I got nothing but admiration for Ron DeSantis. But I also see where Trump is coming from with regard to his calling DeSantis "Sanctimonious"

"Gillum conceded on November 17. DeSantis's victory marked the sixth straight election in which Florida elected a Republican to the governorship, and the third in a row that the margin of victory was under two percent. With a margin of 0.4%, this election was the closest race of the 2018 gubernatorial election cycle."

Many people think DeSantis wouldn't have won the 2018 Florida governor's race without the efforts of DJT and I'm among them. Before Trump ran for president there wasn't a single Republican with the guts to speak plainly. Now hopefully, the newfound candor among the Republican ranks will become the norm. In any case I'd rather follow the dictates of my own conscience, as I would to mindlessly get in line to have my opinions handed to me by the looney left.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ron DeSantis has grown the Republican Party's majority because of his outstanding job performance - especially his handling of the pandemic. Most of the people who have migrated to Florida since the onset of the COVID pandemic registered as Republicans. Thanks mainly to Gov. DeSantis, Florida is no longer a battleground state. Donald Trump may have helped DeSantis get elected the first time, but it is ridiculous for anybody to expect DeSantis to sit out the 2024 election as if he owes his entire political career to Trump. 

If Trump runs his typical sleazy, burnt-earth primary campaign against DeSantis, then it could easily cost him the state of Florida if he wins the nomination.

I personally do not think that Trump can win the general election in 2024. He narrowly beat Hillary Clinton, the weakest Democrat presidential candidate in history before Joe Biden, and then he narrowly defeated (or lost to) Biden in 2020. If Democrats run anybody but Biden in 2024, then I don't think Trump has a chance in the general election. Fair or not (I think not), if any state criminal charges are filed against Trump, it will have a big impact on his electability.

Even without being saddled with the burden of defending himself against criminal charges, Trump still has a less than stellar record leading the COVID fight, shoulder to shoulder with Anthony Fauci to defend. Biden has a much worse record to defend but the media will help him defend it and Democrats have a high tolerance for incompetent, corrupt politicians.
Why would anyone question whether or not Trump would support a Republican candidate other than himself? He didn't do that the LAST time he ran.

Neither party liked Trump or supported him. If ANY other person but Hillary Clinton had been running against him, I would've voted Democratic.

BUT, I liked Trump's Presidency. Overall, I believe it was effective. I just wish he would grow up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(02-25-2023, 06:15 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Why would anyone question whether or not Trump would support a Republican candidate other than himself?  He didn't do that the LAST time he ran.

Neither party liked Trump or supported him.  If ANY other person but Hillary Clinton had been running against him, I would've voted Democratic.

BUT, I liked Trump's Presidency.  Overall, I believe it was effective.  I just wish he would grow up.

Me and you both!!

Trump's presidency was indeed effective even though sooner, rather than later, nearly everybody he appointed wound up stabbing him in the back. Trump had several big gun defenders however, that  were ready, prepared and likely able to delve into the election results according to the remedies spelled out under constitutional law. Had that process gone through proper channels the validity of the vote count would have been litigated by the Congress, not the brain-dead media. And at that point everybody would have had to just shut up and deal with it. Case would have been closed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheRealThing's post:
  • Granny Bear
(02-25-2023, 06:15 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Why would anyone question whether or not Trump would support a Republican candidate other than himself?  He didn't do that the LAST time he ran.

Neither party liked Trump or supported him.  If ANY other person but Hillary Clinton had been running against him, I would've voted Democratic.

BUT, I liked Trump's Presidency.  Overall, I believe it was effective.  I just wish he would grow up.
It is in Trump's own self-interest to support the Republican nominee in 2024, whether he is that nominee or somebody else is the nominee. He won't support somebody else for the good of the Republican Party, but he is in real legal jeopardy, as dozens of political prisoners jailed by Democrats for walking into the Capitol Building on Jan. 6 could attest. Trump is not going to find any Democrat President interested in granting any pardon nor will any Democrat president de-weaponize our Department of "Justice." Trump is childish but he is not stupid.
  • Granny Bear