Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Bengals actually gonna win a Super Bowl?
I’ve been a Bengals fan my whole life. My dad took me to my first in person game at Riverfront in the 70’s, when the Real Steelers (Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, Mean Joe Greene, and on and on) destroyed the Bengals 35-0. He took me a few more times, and I have taken my own son at least once a year since he was 8 (he’s now 25). I always tried to pick out a decent opponent to see, and the Bengals often sucked, so as a result I had never actually seen them win a game in person in all that time—-until Mr. Joe Burrow fell into our laps. I’ve now seen two playoff wins. And I really believe the Bengals are the best team in all of football at this time. It’s often who is the hottest, not who has been the best the majority of the season.
    The offense can be spectacular. The defense has the best coordinator in pro football. Special teams are rock solid. Now it’s hard to win in the NFL. Cincy was probably one freak play away from losing to Baltimore in round one. KC on the road will be a load, no matter if Mahomes is 100% or not. And the 49ers, if they win the NFC, would be an opponent very similar to the Rams from a year ago.
    But I think this Bengals team is ready. Burrow has become the best qb in football. If the depleted O line, which played great at Buffalo, can hold up, then this is the year the impossible happens. The Cincinnati Bungles will be Bungles no more, but Super Bowl champions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Oh, and by the way, a lot of Corbin folks on here that probably know this already, but for those that don’t, Trent Taylor, #11 for the Bengals who returns punts and get an occasional touch on offense, started his playing career as a kid in Corbin. His dad is Greg Taylor, who was a Redhound great back in the early 80s, then played at Western. Not sure when they left Corbin, but Trent has been a Godsend for the Bengals, came in and totally solidified their punt return game which was in chaos early last season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(01-26-2023, 12:59 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Oh, and by the way, a lot of Corbin folks on here that probably know this already, but for those that don’t, Trent Taylor, #11 for the Bengals who returns punts and get an occasional touch on offense, started his playing career as a kid in Corbin. His dad is Greg Taylor, who was a Redhound great back in the early 80s, then played at Western. Not sure when they left Corbin, but Trent has been a Godsend for the Bengals, came in and totally solidified their punt return game which was in chaos early last season.

I played baseball and softball with Trent's dad when I was about thirteen. His brother, sister-in-law, nephews, nieces, mother, all still live here. Trent lived in Corbin until he was about eight years old.  He was in Corbin last summer conducting a receivers camp for youngsters. Trent is also a very good receiver.

The Bengals are now my favorite sports team. I have been a fan since the early and mid seventies. Stayed with them through all the deplorable times. Burrow and Zac Taylor have ushered in the Golden Age of Bengals football. Bengals football has never been better. They have totally changed the culture of the Bengals from a franchise that expected to find a way to lose games to one that EXPECTS TO WIN every game they play.  Joe Burrow is a stone cold assassin. He is a different kind of cat. Win or lose against KC, the Bengals  are gonna be near the top of the AFC for years to come.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Van Hagar
I remember Greg Taylor from when I was a little kid. I think Pikeville shut out a very good Corbin team in 1979 in the 2A semifinals.
I think he had a brother who was great at Corbin back then too. Roy maybe? Maybe Roy was the star of that team and was injured and Greg was younger but still already very good.

I hated the Bengals my whole life until they got Burrow and Chase, two LSU guys who won the national championship there. Now I sneak root for them when no one is around.
I’ve actually been a Bengals fan my whole life, which meant a lot of lean years. I hate how this game went yesterday. I almost never say anything about officiating, I’ve done it myself, and it’s a tough, tough job at any level. But having said that—I thought the officials were atrocious last night. Now the call at the end was correct, don’t get me wrong, I was screaming at the tv while Mahomes was running ‘Don’t hit him, don’t hit him,” because I was mortified that exactly what happened was gonna happen. But there were so many other instances—the clearly blatant holds on the punt return that set up the final drive, the botched series midway through the 4th where the officials started the clock after an incomplete pass and did a do-over on the play. That one sneakily was a killer, because even though the Bengals eventually forced a punt on that drive, it cost them about 20 yards in field position that would have been crucial.

But having said all that—if the Bengals just had a slightly above average offensive line they would probably be getting ready to celebrate a second straight Super Bowl win. This years line was probably at that point until the three starters went down to injuries the last few weeks of the season. The window is still open, but pretty soon the excellent younger guys will have to get paid or shipped off, because you have to keep Burrow. Next year May be a Super Bowl or bust season, just like this year was for Buffalo.
Burrow is not the best QB in the league and this also isn’t their year.
I truly believe the league influences the outcomes of some games. I'll do thread on it when I get over my anger. Games re not scripted, or rigged, per se, but they are absolutely influenced. I'll make my case later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Well, I certainly felt like the league wanted Mahomes in the Super Bowl, he’s the current ‘poster boy’ for the NFL. That’s probably just sour grapes from me, because he is an incredible talent, but that was just a horribly officiated game Sunday.
(01-31-2023, 07:09 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Well, I certainly felt like the league wanted Mahomes in the Super Bowl, he’s the current ‘poster boy’ for the NFL. That’s probably just sour grapes from me, because he is an incredible talent, but that was just a horribly officiated game Sunday.

If you ever rewatch the game, pay very close attention to ball placement by the refs throughout the game. Ball placement to stymie drives or extend drives is one of the most common ways that cheating is done. That, and non-calls at strategically-timed points in the game. The block in the back on the late punt return was so very obvious and the official was looking right at it and refused to call it.I don't think Goodell appreciated Joe's "better send those refunds" quote.
(01-31-2023, 07:09 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Well, I certainly felt like the league wanted Mahomes in the Super Bowl, he’s the current ‘poster boy’ for the NFL. That’s probably just sour grapes from me, because he is an incredible talent, but that was just a horribly officiated game Sunday.

I'm a Steelers fan. I dislike the Bengals almost as much as I hate the Cowboys.  The Bengals got hosed Sunday. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]