Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sing Along With Me... These Songs Were Popular Last Time Corbin Won a Title(1982)
This thread is dedicated to a lot of people. In particular, a lot of old farts who thought they knew what's best for Corbin football when, in fact, they didn't know sh!t from apple butter. In other words , four decades of good ol' boys and gals, whose decisions and actions have left Corbin wandering in the championship title wilderness for forty years.  Complicit among this hodgepodge of  self-delusioned, degenerate narcissists is the cabal of ego-driven brown-nosers and mental midgets who chased the best young coach in Kentucky out of town, with reckless disregard for the consequences.  There is really no other reasonable explanation for why a program like Corbin has gone more than half of a human being's average life expectancy without winning a single varsity state championship, other than the fact that a lot of adults who think they are smart, but aren't, have gotten in the way of that ultimate level of success.

I have really enjoyed watching the kids play this year. They are super-talented and relentless in their drive and determination to be the best they can be. I'm hoping they get the trophy that they so richly deserve.  If they come up short, the trophy will be hoisted ,yet again , by the team coached by a man who never wanted to leave Corbin, a man who all but begged for the opportunity to stay, only to be shown the door. "Super D" can take that "Straight A" report card , big bonus , and plaque he got from the Board puppets and, as the Rock would say, "shine it up real nice, turn that sum beech sideways and...  well, you know.

Anyway, hoping for the best for these Hounds. These kids deserve all the accolades of a state title win.  How long has it been since '82?  I'm glad you asked that question.

The top movies that year were:   

1. E.T. : The Extra-Terrestrial
2. Tootsie
3. An Officer And A Gentleman
4. Rocky III
5. Porky’s
6. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Kahn
7. 48 HRS
8. Poltergeist
9. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
10. Annie

Products introduced in '82:

1. Bud Light  
2. CD Players 
3. Commodore 64 
4. Diet Coke
 5. Drakkar Noir  
6. G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
7. Ms. Pacman
8. Nike Air Force 1
9. Pepi Free
10. Runts

Time Magazine' s "Man of the Year"  :     The Computer

Here's  my first long-distance dedication to Corbin's good ol' boy club. This song went to #1 in 1982, just as the Hounds were marching their way to #1 in 2A football.

This one hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100  forty years ago for John Cougar(back before he added the Mellencamp to his name) :

"Oh, let it rock, let it roll
Let the Bible Belt come and save my soul
Holdin' on to sixteen as long as you can
Change is coming 'round real soon
Make us women and men... "

# of state titles since '82:

Trinity - 21
Beechwood - 16
Highlands- 14
St. X - 13
Mayfield - 12
Danville- 10
Boyle - 10
Cov. Cath - 9
Male - 8
Belfry - 8
Bowling Green - 7
Pikeville - 7
Central - 6
Ft. Campbell - 3
Breathitt Co. - 3
Bell Co. - 2
Johnson Central - 2

Bourbon Co. - 1
Conner- 1
Nelson Co. - 1
Collins- 1
Pulaski Co. - 1
Middlesboro - 1
Hazard - 1
Heath - 1
Crittenden Co. - 1
Caldwell Co. - 1
Mercer Co. - 1
Somerset - 1

Corbin -  0

................................................ STOP THE MADNESS!!! .................................................   

GO HOUNDS !!!!!   Grab that Trophy--- 1st  Since the Introduction of CD players and Diet Coke !!!!!
[-] The following 8 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • 64SUR, Bull got out!, Gitback Coach, jetpilot, Panther Thunder, Playcaller66, Rebel55, Westside
1982 was a great year.  That was the year I graduated high school.  Seen Journey, Styx, and AC/DC in concert.  Who didn’t want to beat up a Russian when eye of the tiger was playing.  :D

Was also the year we knock off #1 Somerset and kept them from entering the playoffs.  If memory serves me right they beat Corbin in the regular season that year. You’re welcome.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebel55's post:
  • Bull got out!, Granny Bear
Good Stuff!
[-] The following 2 users Like MayfieldCardinal's post:
“A little ditty about Jack and Diane, two American kids doin’ the best they can”
Awesome stuff
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
FAST TIMES ...   AT RIDGEMONT HIGH .  And Fun Times at Corbin High, as the Redhounds celebrate a 18-6 win over Glagow to win the 2A title.  I never would have thought that my hair would turn gray and fall out before the Hounds claim another title.

"She's gonna be somebody's only light
Gonna shine tonight
Yeah, she's gonna be somebody's baby tonight
I try to shut my eyes, but I can't get her out of my sight
I know I'm gonna know her, but I gotta get over my fright
Well, I'm just gonna walk up to her, I'm gonna talk to her tonight
Alright... "

Who ya got?   Jennifer Jason Leigh   or  Phoebe Cates ?    Most guys longed for Phoebe... I liked Jenny.

Justin Haddix...  Famous last words to his former boss, Corbin's "Super Dave" Cox :

"Don't. Don't you want me?
You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
Don't. Don't you want me?
You know I don't believe you when you say that you don't need me
It's much too late to find
When you think you've changed your mind
You'd better change it back or we will both be sorry... "

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
I watched E.T at Lane Theater. I think I watched Porky's at Dixie Drive-In.
(12-01-2022, 11:56 PM)pjdoug Wrote: I watched E.T at Lane Theater. I think I watched Porky's at Dixie Drive-In.

I think I saw your cousin at Dixie Drive-In  once.

Less than 24 hours away...   ONLY TIME WILL TELL.  My favorite Asia song from forty years ago. Enjoy the video . Smile

(12-02-2022, 12:06 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 11:56 PM)pjdoug Wrote: I watched E.T at Lane Theater. I think I watched Porky's at Dixie Drive-In.

I think I saw your cousin at Dixie Drive-In  once.

Less than 24 hours away...   ONLY TIME WILL TELL.  My favorite Asia song from forty years ago.  Enjoy the video . Smile

I'm sure you did. I spent a lot of weekend nights there with lots of cousins Smile
^^^What has 3 balls and flies? Hehehe
(12-02-2022, 12:09 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^What has 3 balls and flies? Hehehe

You won't like my answer. lol
Only 1 correct answer Dougie
1982 joke lol
Some may sayTom E. Greer may need to conjure up some magic to win a battle of wits with the Football Wizard, Justin Haddix.

Better have plenty of "Abracadabra," Tom E.

(12-02-2022, 12:14 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Only 1 correct answer Dougie
1982 joke lol

E.T. The Extra-Testi….oh never mind
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Granny Bear
I had that Asia cassette playing all the time in my Datsun truck. Heat of the moment and Only time will tell song really bring back some great memories. Wow what I would give to go back 40 years today!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Glory_Days
Are the Winds of Change blowing in a new champ in 4A football?  We may need a little Grace Slick magic to pull this one out.  From, you guessed it, .....  1982 !!!

(12-02-2022, 12:24 AM)Rebel55 Wrote: I had that Asia cassette playing all the time in my Datsun truck.  Heat of the moment and Only time will tell song really bring back some great memories. Wow what I would give to go back 40 years today!

I'd like to have a Datsun truck.
(12-02-2022, 12:24 AM)Rebel55 Wrote: I had that Asia cassette playing all the time in my Datsun truck.  Heat of the moment and Only time will tell song really bring back some great memories. Wow what I would give to go back 40 years today!

I would give everything I own or ever would own to go back !!!

A group called "Men at Work" came on the seen in America in  '82 , releasing this hit single.  Who can forget that opening sax?

Oh, btw,   another land down under, Argentina, invaded the Falkland Islands in 1982. 

One of my favorite Southern Rock bands---38 Special , from '82 .

(12-01-2022, 08:16 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: 1982 was a great year.  That was the year I graduated high school.  Seen Journey, Styx, and AC/DC in concert.  Who didn’t want to beat up a Russian when eye of the tiger was playing.  :D

Was also the year we knock off #1 Somerset and kept them from entering the playoffs.  If memory serves me right they beat Corbin in the regular season that year. You’re welcome.

You didn't want to beat up a Russian when listening to Eye of the Tiger. That was Rocky IV. 1982 was Rocky IIi and Clubber Lang.
(12-02-2022, 03:19 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 08:16 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: 1982 was a great year.  That was the year I graduated high school.  Seen Journey, Styx, and AC/DC in concert.  Who didn’t want to beat up a Russian when eye of the tiger was playing.  Big Grin

You didn't want to beat up a Russian when listening to Eye of the Tiger.  That was Rocky IV.  1982 was Rocky IIi and Clubber Lang.
I wanted to beat up a Russian in 1982 when the song came out, and wanted to beat up a Russian in 1984 when Rocky 4 came out.
I wouldn't go back forty years for a dollar and a nickel!!
(12-02-2022, 06:08 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 08:16 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: 1982 was a great year.  That was the year I graduated high school.  Seen Journey, Styx, and AC/DC in concert.  Who didn’t want to beat up a Russian when eye of the tiger was playing.  :D

You didn't want to beat up a Russian when listening to Eye of the Tiger.  That was Rocky IV.  1982 was Rocky IIi and Clubber Lang.
I wanted to beat up a Russian in 1982 when the song came out, and wanted to beat up a Russian in 1984 when Rocky 4 came out.

That was 1985.
I hope Combs runs a lot farther than Bodner or Quissy.

"And I ran, I ran so far away
I just ran, I ran all night and day
And I ran, I ran so far away
I just ran, I couldn't get away..."

I think this video was filmed at the Corbin Civic Center. I can vision several BGR members playing in this band.  :)

1982.... Back when Corbin's "Super D" was more concerned about getting wasted than wasting good coaching talent.

"Look around me
I can see my life before me
Running rings around the way
It used to be
I am older now
I have more than what I wanted
But I wish that I had started
Long before I did
And there's so much time to make up
Everywhere you turn
Time we have wasted on the way..."

Sporting Corbin's colors...... love the shots of the audience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • Old School Hound
(12-02-2022, 12:15 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: Sporting Corbin's colors...... love the shots of the audience.

Was about to post this song. Here's the Soul Train Dancers. Yep, Soul Train was still a thing the last time the Hounds won the trophy.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Glory_Days
Is that you with the fox tail? (2:04) I love it!!!
(12-02-2022, 09:25 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:08 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 08:16 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: 1982 was a great year.  That was the year I graduated high school.  Seen Journey, Styx, and AC/DC in concert.  Who didn’t want to beat up a Russian when eye of the tiger was playing.  Big Grin

That was 1985.

I don't even care when it was. I want to beat up a Russian everytime I hear the song Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Glory_Days
It's not a "Rebel" Yell but it is the artist who gave it to us.
(12-02-2022, 12:24 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: Is that you with the fox tail? (2:04) I love it!!!

It's Dougie's cousin...