Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Presidential election
Who will most likely be the Republican and Democratic nominees for POTUS in ‘24? 

I was for Trump in 2016 and 2020 but this time around I think I’m going to support DeSantis if he decides to run. I believe the worst thing that could happen with the GOP is to go with Trump. Just too much baggage , some of it undeserved and some not, for him to win, unless the opponent is Biden or Harris, which I don’t think it will be. The Democrats are doing everything in their power to keep Trump off the ballot and that is puzzling because his nomination would actually be their easiest route to keep the White House.
(10-20-2022, 12:40 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Who will most likely be the Republican and Democratic nominees for POTUS in ‘24? 

I was for Trump in 2016 and 2020 but this time around I think I’m going to support DeSantis if he decides to run. I believe the worst thing that could happen with the GOP is to go with Trump. Just too much baggage , some of it undeserved and some not, for him to win, unless the opponent is Biden or Harris, which I don’t think it will be. The Democrats  are doing everything in their power to keep Trump off the ballot and that is puzzling because his nomination would actually be their easiest route to keep the White House.
I agree. I also voted for Trump twice and still believe that the election was stolen from him in 2020 - but that is not a good enough reason to support a candidate as old as President Trump who, as you say, has substantial baggage of his own. I am not sure that Trump would beat Biden or Harris in 2024. I hate to think so little of my fellow Americans, but I still have trouble understanding how Joe Biden could have beaten the worst possible candidate that the Republicans could have found in 2020.

Biden has been a crooked politician for most of his life. As a young man, he was an idiot, and now he is a senile idiot, IMO. I remember when Biden was a laughingstock among members of the liberal media because of his clumsy attempts at plagiarism and his tendency to tell whoppers that were so easily proven false.

Another Republican who would make a good president, IMO, is Gov. Jim Abbott of Texas. There are countless Republicans who would make a better president than any likely Democrat candidate in 2024.

Tulsi Gabbard, who recently left the Democrat Party, is a potential wildcard in the 2024 election. She was too conservative to with the nomination in the Democrat Party. I would not be surprised to see some moderate Republican choose her as a running mate during the primaries - maybe even Trump - although she seems to smart to accept an offer from Trump. I would also not be shocked if she launched a third-party campaign. She is smart, attractive, articulate, and I believe a Major in the National Guard Reserves. Depending on who the Republican nominee is, a Gabbard independent campaign could hurt Republicans worse than it would hurt Democrats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(10-20-2022, 01:13 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(10-20-2022, 12:40 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Who will most likely be the Republican and Democratic nominees for POTUS in ‘24? 

I was for Trump in 2016 and 2020 but this time around I think I’m going to support DeSantis if he decides to run. I believe the worst thing that could happen with the GOP is to go with Trump. Just too much baggage , some of it undeserved and some not, for him to win, unless the opponent is Biden or Harris, which I don’t think it will be. The Democrats  are doing everything in their power to keep Trump off the ballot and that is puzzling because his nomination would actually be their easiest route to keep the White House.
I agree. I also voted for Trump twice and still believe that the election was stolen from him in 2020 - but that is not a good enough reason to support a candidate as old as President Trump who, as you say, has substantial baggage of his own. I am not sure that Trump would beat Biden or Harris in 2024. I hate to think so little of my fellow Americans, but I still have trouble understanding how Joe Biden could have beaten the worst possible candidate that the Republicans could have found in 2020.

Biden has been a crooked politician for most of his life. As a young man, he was an idiot, and now he is a senile idiot, IMO. I remember when Biden was a laughingstock among members of the liberal media because of his clumsy attempts at plagiarism and his tendency to tell whoppers that were so easily proven false.

Another Republican who would make a good president, IMO, is Gov. Jim Abbott of Texas. There are countless Republicans who would make a better president than any likely Democrat candidate in 2024.

Tulsi Gabbard, who recently left the Democrat Party, is a potential wildcard in the 2024 election. She was too conservative to with the nomination in the Democrat Party. I would not be surprised to see some moderate Republican choose her as a running mate during the primaries - maybe even Trump - although she seems to smart to accept an offer from Trump. I would also not be shocked if she launched a third-party campaign. She is smart, attractive, articulate, and I believe a Major in the National Guard Reserves. Depending on who the Republican nominee is, a Gabbard independent campaign could hurt Republicans worse than it would hurt Democrats.
^Just to be clear, I meant that I have trouble believing that Joe Biden could have been a much worse Republican candidate in 2020. My wording could be interpreted as me saying that Trump was the worst possible candidate Republicans could have nominated in 2020 and that is not what I meant at all.
What do you guys think of Ted Cruz?
(10-30-2022, 07:15 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: What do you guys think of Ted Cruz?
I think that Ted Cruz would have made a great president if he had won the 2016 election but the sleazy campaign that Donald Trump ran against him in the GOP primaries killed his chances of winning a national election and nearly cost him his Senate seat. I still read Trump supporters referring to Cruz as "Lying Ted" in conservative political threads. If Cruz managed to win the nomination in 2024, then I would enthusiastically support him in the general election but I just don't see it in the cards. Cruz has been the most consistent voice in Congress in opposition to illegal immigration, which is the issue on which Trump and Rubio accused him of being soft. Rubio was one of the so-called "Gang of Eight" that actively worked in favor of granting amnesty to illegal aliens. I will never, under any circumstances vote for Marco Rubio for any office.

At this point, the only reason for Donald Trump to run is to stall politically motivated investigations and indictments against him. I believe that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump and I believe that the investigations and legal attacks against him are dangerous abuses of power by Democrats and RINOs, but I also believe that this country does not need another elderly president.

My hope is that Ron DeSantis gets the nomination in 2024 and that Donald Trump does not do a hatchet job on him, like he did on Cruz in 2016. I appreciate the positive things that Trump did for this country during his term, but I hope that he decides to do what is best for our nation's future.

If DeSantis decides not to run or fails to win the nomination, I believe that any Republican nominee not named Trump or Rubio will easily win the 2024 election, regardless of who the Democrats nominate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Granny Bear
He’d be better than what we got right now. I think he’s one of the more honest political figures if there is such a thing. But he’s a politician, and they rarely get anything beneficial done that helps the country or the people. 

Desantis, I like his caviler attitude and the “do what it takes, I don’t care if you like me”. But several conservative people I follow said he’s not all he’s cracked up to be. I couldn’t find much, other than the fact that before all this Disney mess, he gave them a lot of state funding and tax breaks. But that’s gonna be about any person you find doing it somewhere. People in FL sure do like him. As it stands I’d about vote for anyone outside of Joe Biden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Granny Bear

I'm gonna pass on answering that question, Gran .  Let's just say , as far as Republicans go,  Ms. Cheney is more my cup of tea. I like her courage, her moxie, her defiance of her own party for the greater good of the country. There's not many honorable politicians left on either side of the aisle. She appears to be one of them. Don't agree with her on a lot of political issues but I think she's true to her ideals and wants what's best for our Democratic Republic. Mr. Cruz wants what's best for Mr Cruz.

Ted Cruz is the founder's idea of a legislator. His service has been tailored to meet the demands of his constituents and as all legislators should be, he is a Constitutional constructionist. I can't find one thing of note wrong with the guy. In fact, if one were to go back in my posts he would see that I suggested Cruz would be the Cadillac choice for DJT's VP. Trump's Presidency would have fared far better IMO.

But even in the light of still hard to believe retrospection, as things stand Cruz did for the sake of country and Party, forgive Trump's early statements made about him on the campaign trail. Cruz saw that Trump was governing with integrity and realized the good the President was doing far outstripped his own wounded and righteous indignation. Thusly he became an avid supporter and advocate for Trump. He's the classic example of a true statesman.

On the other hand to be a modern day liberal 'honorable politician', one must be prepared to put gender-neutral public restrooms for example, ahead of affordable energy, national security and other such backwater and passé notions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheRealThing's post:
  • Granny Bear