Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helping kids succeed
Just wanted to say thank you for the coaches. Programs lose so many players to bad family life. Especially the small rural schools. We have two or three starters that’s family situation or drug environment took them out of our program. The coaches are measured by wins and losses, but the ones who pulled those kids up and helped them succeed as adults have done more than a win. We all want to have a successful program. For some schools the Ws are hard to come by when it’s difficult keeping players on the field and the rest from transferring to other schools. Coaches are more than their win percentage. Lives are sometimes changed because of them. Bless all those mentors for their teams.
(09-28-2022, 02:13 AM)oldschool77 Wrote: Just wanted to say thank you for the coaches. Programs lose so many players to bad family life. Especially the small rural schools. We have two or three starters that’s family situation or drug environment took them out of our program. The coaches are measured by wins and losses, but the ones who pulled those kids up and helped them succeed as adults have done more than a win. We all want to have a successful program. For some schools the Ws are hard to come by when it’s difficult keeping players on the field and the rest from transferring to other schools. Coaches are more than their win percentage. Lives are sometimes changed because of them. Bless all those mentors for their teams.
Well Said! There are bigger things than football.
I said things similar to this in a group i follow in fb. So many are judged by success between the white lines. But it goes way beyond that. Im glad my biys are growing up in a school system that does just that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Bull got out!, Patriot1
Kids "without parents" (and I know you ALL know what I mean there, parents may be in the house, but "checked out") often get their moral values, almost all their work ethic, and learn to give respect, all through coaching. I'm thankful my own kids had great coaches at every level. They had myself and their mother to lean on, but coach will always give a kid an even bigger push and will look at a kid without parent blinders (which we all have). Kids need that!
[-] The following 2 users Like smoke1015's post:
  • Bull got out!, chuck1942501
(09-28-2022, 11:17 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: Kids "without parents" (and I know you ALL know what I mean there, parents may be in the house, but "checked out") often get their moral values, almost all their work ethic, and learn to give respect, all through coaching. I'm thankful my own kids had great coaches at every level. They had myself and their mother to lean on, but coach will always give a kid an even bigger push and will look at a kid without parent blinders (which we all have). Kids need that!
I was one of those kids and often found myself staying at the homes of my teammates more than my own house. To me sports are so much more than just a game. Sports kept me out of trouble and from going down a bad path.  I’ve been out of high school for nearly 20 years and I still apply the lessons and values that I learned from my coaches.  I’ve also coached myself and I try to instill these lessons in the kids I’ve been in contact with because I understand the life changing impact that a coach who cares can have on someone who may not have anyone else to look up to.
[-] The following 3 users Like Orange Blaze's post:
  • Bull got out!, Patriot1, smoke1015
(09-29-2022, 08:59 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 11:17 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: Kids "without parents" (and I know you ALL know what I mean there, parents may be in the house, but "checked out") often get their moral values, almost all their work ethic, and learn to give respect, all through coaching. I'm thankful my own kids had great coaches at every level. They had myself and their mother to lean on, but coach will always give a kid an even bigger push and will look at a kid without parent blinders (which we all have). Kids need that!
I was one of those kids and often found myself staying at the homes of my teammates more than my own house. To me sports are so much more than just a game. Sports kept me out of trouble and from going down a bad path.  I’ve been out of high school for nearly 20 years and I still apply the lessons and values that I learned from my coaches.  I’ve also coached myself and I try to instill these lessons in the kids I’ve been in contact with because I understand the life changing impact that a coach who cares can have on someone who may not have anyone else to look up to.
THis is awesome man! You surely had great coaches. But you also had your own inner strength and decided not to settle. I love stories like these!
[-] The following 1 user Likes smoke1015's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(09-29-2022, 08:59 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
Your story is why I loved coaching kids. Unfortunately I lost more kids that I helped. Even one made it worthwhile.
[-] The following 2 users Like oldschool77's post:
  • Bull got out!, Orange Blaze
I've seen this happen at just about every school, big and small. There are many players that NEED football, basketball, baseball etc... Like you said, thank you to the good coaches that worry over these kids.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!